The Official P45 Asus P5Q Motherboard Thread

Is this board still worth getting today? Is anything about to replace it ?

I have a Gigabyte P35-DS3P v1.0 currently, that I need to take out of my system so I can build a permanent OS X86 machine with.

So I'm looking at this board as my top pick. I want to go back to Asus, I want a basic solid single video card Intel based motherboard.

Is this board still worth getting today? Is anything about to replace it ?

I have a Gigabyte P35-DS3P v1.0 currently, that I need to take out of my system so I can build a permanent OS X86 machine with.

So I'm looking at this board as my top pick. I want to go back to Asus, I want a basic solid single video card Intel based motherboard.

Sounds like you still want this board then, especially if it's still on sale for that killer $91.

Anyone have a link to a good guide or any resources for running osx86 on a p5q? (if that sort of link isn't allowed please pm me) I had no trouble getting it going on my ep45-ds3r but the same DVD didn't work on my p5q-e.

Just picked up a P5Q Pro on the cheap. Seems like a decent board so far. Only been using it for a day.

Hi. I have a P5Q Pro with a Q6600 plus a Thermaltake Golden Orb cooler.
Recently I OCd the CPU to 3.0Ghz and my idle temps were around 60c and over 80c after half an hours gaming.
This seems way to hot. I had the mobo transplanted into a Cosmos S by a professional so he might not have seated the Golden Orb properly or I need a new cooler quickly.
I've looked at several and the best ones seem to require a back plate. Does this mean I would have to take everything out and take the mobo off the backing board?
Any advice on how to proceed or which cooler to go for would be welcome.
Thanks, John:)

I don't have personal experience with that cooler, but I wouldn't think it could cool a quad core...did you have it on another board before getting the P5Q? Also, what voltage is that at?

Cooler Recommedations: TRUE (Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme), Xigmatek HDT-S1283, Sunbeam Core Contact Cooler, OCZ Vendetta2, Sunbeam Tuniq Tower

Recently I OCd the CPU to 3.0Ghz and my idle temps were around 60c and over 80c after half an hours gaming.
This seems way to hot. I had the mobo transplanted into a Cosmos S by a professional so he might not have seated the Golden Orb properly or I need a new cooler quickly.
I've looked at several and the best ones seem to require a back plate. Does this mean I would have to take everything out and take the mobo off the backing board?

Here's a little comparison of HSF's.

http://www.frostytech.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=2271&page=5

The temp is shown as above ambient rise, not the temp of the CPU. It's pretty common practice for a quad guy to choose the Sunbeamtech Core-Contact Freezer, Xigmatek HDT-S1283 or the Thermalright Ultra 120 for his/her cooling apparatus. I chose the Sunbeam.

As far as your cooling woes with your current HSF you can always recheck the paste application and seating of the HS. A guy could always do a little lapping to the IHS and the HS for a possible drop in temp. Make sure you have a nice path of air flow and a clean case as well. You may need to remove the mobo for some installations (Sunbeam: not always) but this is an easy task even for a beginner. Also make sure you have a case that can adequately fit these coolers should you decide on one of them. The Cosmos is fine.

Too many people overlook this cooler which can often be found at Newegg or others for $26 shipped, and it wouldn't require you to remove the motherboard at all. Installation is simple.

Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro

Reviews:
http://www.anandtech.com/casecoolingpsus/showdoc.aspx?i=3210
http://www.silentpcreview.com/article285-page1.html
http://www.pureoverclock.com/review.php?id=642&page=1

Buy here:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835186134
$26.99 shipped.

Look at the rating order:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2000110574&bop=And&Order=RATING

2553 reviews and counting, this heatsink maintains Newegg's highest rating overall. I know Newegg's reviews can't usually be counted on for technical data, but for overall success, customer satisfaction, and DOA counts the Freezer 7 pro maintains a staggering lead over the competition. It has a 6 year warranty.

I have a friend that prefers using it on a regular basis to his more expensive Nirvana 120. He spent a lot more on the Nirvana but the Freezer 7 Pro is within a stone's throw of its performance, slightly quieter (at least as quiet), takes up less space, and is much easier for him to swap in and out. He saw mine in my rig and liked it so much he bought one, against my advice. I said, "Dude, you've got one of the freaking best 120mm coolers out there. Why would you replace it with something cheaper??" He didn't listen to me and bought one anyways and since then his 120mm beast sits in the box. He just likes it better.

Anyways, that's my two cents. It will fit just fine on this mobo and blow some nice air on your PWM's depending on its orientation.

Just picked up the P5Q Deluxe. Now I read somewhere that the LAN ports are connected to different chips on the motherboard. :confused: Manual says they use Marvell controller. If so which should I use, the top or bottom? Any advantage over one or the other?

Thanks guys, I've been looking around at reviews and reckon it's a toss up between the Tuniq Tower and the Tuniq Core Contact. I think the Core Contact is sold under both the Sunbeam and Tuniq names.
The Core Contact is probably favourite as it looks like I won't need to remove the mobo to fit it.
Thanks, John

Just picked up the P5Q Deluxe. Now I read somewhere that the LAN ports are connected to different chips on the motherboard. :confused: Manual says they use Marvell controller. If so which should I use, the top or bottom? Any advantage over one or the other?
Under network connections: Bottom 1 is PCIE controller and the other is PCI. So I use the bottom.

Hmmn. I've just been looking at a review of my current cooler.
The Thermaltake Golden Orb 2 is attached using a back plate which is self adhesived to the back of the mobo.
I'm really hoping that will be a standard fitting. It must be using the same holes.
If so I can get a Tuniq Tower or Asus tower or any of these big coolers and stick it on without having to take the mobo out.
Also it might be a problem removing the old plate.
Does anyone know this?

For all those that have the P5Q Deluxe, where is it made? It's on the sticker next to the first memory slot.

Mines made in China. I read that the ones made in Taiwan are better. Any truth to that?

Too many people overlook this cooler which can often be found at Newegg or others for $26 shipped, and it wouldn't require you to remove the motherboard at all. Installation is simple.

Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro
*snip*

The ACF7Pro is a pretty good budget cooler, but it is really not suitable for an overclocked quad. A much better choice would be the Xigmatek HDT-S1283, which can be found regularly for around $30 and which also does not require a special backplate and uses the standard push-pins for mounting.

For all those that have the P5Q Deluxe, where is it made? It's on the sticker next to the first memory slot.

Mines made in China. I read that the ones made in Taiwan are better. Any truth to that?
Mine is made in taiwan, but im not sure if that makes much difference.

Are you guys moving the jumpers to the higher voltage (OV_CPU and OV_NB) when overclocking the P5Q Deluxe?

And where is this Onboard Switch for overclocking that is listed on ASUS' site?

Onboard Switch
No more shorting pins or moving jumpers!
With an easy press during overclock, this exclusive onboard switch allows gamer to effortlessly fine-tune the performance without having to short the pins or moving jumpers!

You only have to move the over voltage jumpers if you need very high voltages and use "extreme" cooling. If you want to push vcore past 1.7 then move the jumper and you can go up to 2.1. Most of us aren't using it. ;-)

Are you guys moving the jumpers to the higher voltage (OV_CPU and OV_NB) when overclocking the P5Q Deluxe?

And where is this Onboard Switch for overclocking that is listed on ASUS' site?

I was wondering about this as well. I currently run my system at 3.6 (9x400) PLL, FSB TERM, NB +0.02v over auto settings. vcore @1.4125 in bios. The system has passed 8+hours in prime95, 3dm06 and various other benches along with a lot of gaming. Id like to try and oc it a bit higher (hopefully 3.7-3.9ghz) aside from the neccesary vcore rise will i have to adjust the above chipset voltages much as well. cpu has a vid of 1.2750 cooled by a true and 2x2000 rpm fans, Current load temps of 58-58-52-52. will be lapping both cpu and cooler soon to help with temps.

It's one of the blue jumpers on the board. I will never take my processor above 1.7 and taking the NB above 2.0 is just crazy. 95% of us will likely never use those ultra high jumper settings. Even 1.7v on the CPU will give you some mad overclocks (and temps to boot if you don't have insane cooling.)

If you look closely at your board you'll see several jumpers. One will have "NB" the other will have "CPU" and if you change the jumper location it will allow overvoltage of up to like 2.2v!!!

Hi guys

I got my Asus P5Q-E motherboard about 2 months ago and I am very satisfied with it, but for a small problem. In the intro videos of games, my sound sort of stutters every 5 seconds. This does not happen with in-game videos, neither does it happen when playing music or videos in Windows and the rest of the games run perfectly. This also is not affected by graphic quality as it happens with older as well as new games. It is also not related to the DVD drive as not all games have a DVD in the drive when this happens.

Could this be related to the motherboard's HD sound? In Assasins Creed for instance, no sound would work in the game when I first installed it, but after reading up on it in the manual, I switched off the hardware acceleration of the sound and everything worked perfectly. I've played around with the accelaration settings a bit, but can't fix this intro video bug.

The rest of my system is made up of:
Windows XP SP3 32-bit
Intel Q8500
2GB DDR2 1066 RAM
Asus 9800GT 1GB

Regards

Hi all,
Further to my previous posts I've now fitted a Tuniq Tower to my CPU and OCd it to 3005Mhz by raising the frequency to 333mhz.
My temps according to Core Temps are 50 or slightly below as I'm typing this and playing music plus visualisation.
CPUZ tells me the following:
Core Speed: 3005Mhz
Multiplier: x9 (which flips to x6 2003.8Mhz)
Bus Speed: 333.9Mhz
Rated FSB: 1335.8Mhz
My memory is Corsair Dominator 8500 and is running as follows:
534.3Mhz
FSB:DRAM 5:8
CL 5.0
tRCD 5
tRP 5
tRAS 18

I tried a brief gaming session- Unreal Tournament 3 for half an hour and my temps were in the 60s.
Can someone reassure me I'm doing this right?
Thanks and best wishes, John:)

What are your ambient temps?

Did you apply enough or too much thermal paste? Tried re-seating the heatsink?

Are you manually setting voltages? Board is notorious for serious overvolting at auto-setting.

I have the same set up, with same overclock (different memory) and my temps are in 50C after 8 hours of Prime95 on all cores.

I tried a brief gaming session- Unreal Tournament 3 for half an hour and my temps were in the 60s.
Can someone reassure me I'm doing this right?
Thanks and best wishes, John:)

Your temps are safe, but they do seem a little high. I assume you're using the Auto setting for CPU Vcore? Try setting it manually to something like 1.35V and see if it's stable. If it is, you could very well end up with much lower temps depending on how the Auto voltage is set.

Hi BDV & Zero82z,
Thanks for your replies.
This is what I have done in the P5Q Pro BIOS:

Ai Tuner-manual
FSB Frequency-333
PCIE Frequency-101
FSB Strap to Northbridge-333MHz
DRAM Frequency-DDR2-1066MHz

All other settings are on Auto.

CPUZ says my Core Voltage is 1.384v and my Vid is 1.3000v

I don't really know what this means. What do I have to do to alter my vcore?

Thanks for your help, John:)

Hi guys,

I posted about this here http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1365371 also, but I figured I might be able find some help here as well.

Basically I just purchased an EVGA Geforce 260 GTX Superclocked and an Asus P5Q Deluxe and the card won't fit.

I think it's what I've read about before with the 2 capacitors on the end of the pci-e slot blocking the card from locking in because of that damn tab sticking out of the bottom of the 260.

The thing is, I see tons of people who say they have that card and that board and that theres no problem now, and that a revision might have solved this. Is that really the case?

And the weirdest part is that I got it to seat properly *once*. I have no idea how, but it locked and actually worked (the fan would never spin on POST).

But I had to take it out because I noticed it was crushing something and in 4 hours yesterday I could not get it to lock in place again.

I'm kinda pissed because it seems the only thing I can do is buy a new motherboard and that I basically wasted $200 on the one I have now.

thanks!

Hello.
I went into the BIOS and manually typed in 135 and pressed enter.This immediatly changes to 1.7000 in red figures.
I okd that but it doesn't seem to have changed anything. CPUZ still showing my Core Voltage as 1.384v.
Is that what you meant?
thanks, John:confused:

Hello.
I went into the BIOS and manually typed in 135 and pressed enter.This immediatly changes to 1.7000 in red figures.
I okd that but it doesn't seem to have changed anything. CPUZ still showing my Core Voltage as 1.384v.
Is that what you meant?
thanks, John:confused:

Don't type 135, type 1.35. when you type 135 w/o the period it thinks you want 135 volts!! Max is 1.7v unless you change the jumper, so it defaults to that.

Thanks SirKronan. I've done that and it gives me a Core Voltage of 1.336.
Nothing much happening with my temps. They are now in the early 50s so maybe they'll go lower yet. Got the Tuniq on full power but no side fan on the Cosmos S as I have to make a panel and move the 20cm over to miss the tower. Also it is very warm in this room.
I'll carry on playing music and a visualisation for a while and see what happens. One of my cores just went to 49 so maybe...
Thanks again,John:)

hi samsonJS, I just tried that and it immediately decided my OC was unstable. It did not even run a test just immediately returned an unstable message. cheers, John

SamsonJS. Hi. I just tried IntelBurnTest again and it immediately told me my OC was unstable. I'm not sure what this means as I've been playing music, browsing etc for several hours now with no problems. My temps are in the high 30s and everything is running ok. Obviously IntelBurn is detecting something wrong immediately, it does not seem to run a test.
What can it all mean?
Thanks for your help,J

SamsonJS. Hi. I just tried IntelBurnTest again and it immediately told me my OC was unstable. I'm not sure what this means as I've been playing music, browsing etc for several hours now with no problems. My temps are in the high 30s and everything is running ok. Obviously IntelBurn is detecting something wrong immediately, it does not seem to run a test.
What can it all mean?
Thanks for your help,J

Can you post a screenshot of the error that IBT is giving you?

Hi Zero82z. I'd love to post a screenshot but don't know how. I used Vista snipping tool to get an image pf the IntelBurnTest page but couldn't figure how to get it into my reply. If I click the add image button in the reply box it asks for a URL.
This must sound dumb but I thought about posting a picture of my rig some time ago and couldn't figure how. Be nice to know as I would definitely like to post a picture my Cosmos S/Tuniq Tower case mod (if it works out). Thanks and best wishes, John
PS.Been playing Mass Effect for an hour and a half and temps in low 50s and no crashes or freezes.J

Back