The Official P45 Asus P5Q Motherboard Thread

is there some overclocking difference between P5Q Pro and P5Q-E? P5Q Pro is on sale thats why I'm asking.

Not much from what I've heard/read. Even with quads. I'm having hella fun with my P5Q pro. Look at the placement of ports and headers in the pics on the egg, and choose the layout that will best fit your setup. That's what I recommend. You're going to have this board for a while, so you want it to fit all your goods and be convenient to work with. Everything is almost perfectly placed for my case, PSU, and drive placement.

Have a look:

Contents04.jpg

And the sata ports on the P5Q pro are bright bright orange UV reactive.

I have a problem using 6GB of ram on XPx64 on a p5q-E and would like everyone's opinion as to what is going on.

I was at 2GB 3:2 4ghz PL8 w/ pullins
I am now at 6GB 1:1 4Ghz PL10 w/ pullins higher voltages

I am not able to address all 6GB in windows I see ~5.5GB, in fact using 4GB I see ~3.5GB. cpu-z sees entire memory.
My questions are am I really using all my memory? Is there some overhead I don't know about? Do I need to remap memory hole (thx scabar) and how do I do that?

I have a problem using 6GB of ram on XPx64 on a p5q-E and would like everyone's opinion as to what is going on.

I was at 2GB 3:2 4ghz PL8 w/ pullins
I am now at 6GB 1:1 4Ghz PL10 w/ pullins higher voltages

I am not able to address all 6GB in windows I see ~5.5GB, in fact using 4GB I see ~3.5GB. cpu-z sees entire memory.
My questions are am I really using all my memory? Is there some overhead I don't know about? Do I need to remap memory hole (thx scabar) and how do I do that?

What windows do you have? 32 or 64 bit? Vista or XP?

Okay I have a weird one for you guys. I have been on a week-long bug hunt with my machine running off the P5Q Deluxe. The BIOS kept getting fried. What seems to have been the problem are the front panel data connectros from the Cooler Master Cosmos. The system has been rock stable since I pulled them out of the motherboard, based on a post I found in some other forum. Up until then, it would run great for 12 to 24 hours and then crap out, at which point I tried things like returning it to the builder for testing, then replacing my UPS and PSU myself when it happened again after that. When it started again last night I actually unplugged the new system and thought about returning the whole shebang. Then I started looking up "P5Q Corrupted BIOS" and it seems that the front panel data connectors on some cases will fry the BIOS on a P5Q Deluxe occasionally...

At any rate it's only been 17 hours since I pulled the data connectors. So far no problems and I've been installing programs like CS3 and running Crysis Warhead and let it on all night. Wish me luck..

Can someone give me some pointers to adjusting VTT NB voltage and GTL settings in my P5Q Pro with my Q6600? I would like to get 3.6ghz stable but right now it isn't even with a 1.5v vcore and I don't want to take the vcore any higher(I haven't touched any other settings, ram is at 1:1)

Can someone give me some pointers to adjusting VTT NB voltage and GTL settings in my P5Q Pro with my Q6600? I would like to get 3.6ghz stable but right now it isn't even with a 1.5v vcore and I don't want to take the vcore any higher(I haven't touched any other settings, ram is at 1:1)

What's the VID of your Q6600? I've got a 1.325V VID Q6600, rock solid at 3.1Ghz so far, stock voltage, Ultima 90.

What's the VID of your Q6600? I've got a 1.325V VID Q6600, rock solid at 3.1Ghz so far, stock voltage, Ultima 90.

I got stuck with a shitty 1.325V, I didn't even find out there were Q6600s worse than the old B3s until after I had my computer built :(. My load temps at 1.5v on the hottest core was about 60C, compared to my 42C load at my stock vcore of 1.24 (xigmatek s1283)

I was hoping I could drop the vcore at least some with proper VTT, NB, and GTL settings, If I can keep my processor at sub 1.5v and 60C load I would feel pretty comfortable to run it daily.

I'm half considering selling it and buying one used with a low VID, it seriously bottlenecks my HD4870 in warhammer online even at 100% max settings 1680x1050 24xAA 16xAF, I haven't made it into large scale RvR yet but I drop down to 10fps in heavy RvR scenario combat, it increases significantly as I increase my CPU clock speed.

http://i37.tinypic.com/e6op6v.jpg
http://i33.tinypic.com/25a7os3.jpg
Realtemp calibrated at 264x6 and a .984v vcore to 6C above ambient(17.7C) at idle.

Bios Settings:
vcore: 1.52v
VTT: 1.38v
NBv: 1.40v
FSB:RAM 1:1
Everything else was on auto

Any suggestions? I think its obvious I shouldn't set the vcore any higher, I'm already knocking on the door of 65C under load and that is the hottest I will ever let my Q6600 get.

For reference my case has 3x120mm intake fans, 3x140mm+1x120mm+HD4870 exhaust fan, temperature of the room the PC is in is 64F. Xigmatek hdt-s1283

I just installed my P5Q deluxe this evening and I must say even at stock speeds it feels snappier than my EVGA 680i ever did.

I haven't dove into the overclocking much yet on this board, but on the 680i, the ONLY speed I could get to run stable was 3.6Ghz @ 1.46v (I couldn't even run stock speeds stable...even after 3 RMA's, 2 of the A1 revision). But I just got to piddling around and am running at 3.2Ghz on stock voltage. Can't wait until tomorrow when I can actually really dig into it and see how far I can push this thing! I LOVE this board! Feels like an upgrade more than a mb swap.

I have a Q6600 G0 1.32v chip as well. dunno if the 1.32v matters any, but it's a G0 and easily hit 3.6 on the 680i.

Realtemp calibrated at 264x6 and a .984v vcore to 6C above ambient(17.7C) at idle.

Bios Settings:

Any suggestions? I think its obvious I shouldn't set the vcore any higher, I'm already knocking on the door of 65C under load and that is the hottest I will ever let my Q6600 get.

For reference my case has 3x120mm intake fans, 3x140mm+1x120mm+HD4870 exhaust fan, temperature of the room the PC is in is 64F. Xigmatek hdt-s1283

Define "load". My Q6600 hits 64-65C at 3.1Ghz, ONLY when Prime95 v25.6 is running on all four cores 100% load. Else, it varies between 55 and 60C max. Tried undervolting the chip?

Anyone here ever get a problem with this board where you get a blank screen (at random times) and then an immediate reboot (without a BSOD)? I've ruled out my other components (RAM, sound card, video card, PSU, etc.) and now I'm down to either something wrong with the board itself or some sort of combination between the board and my cpu. (Right now I'm running a P5Q Deluxe with a Q6600)

CPU: 3.2 GHz, 1.275v
NB: 1.26v
FSB: 400Mhz

Any ideas? The reboots seem to be random and often occur at the desktop and not during heavy gaming. Do I need extra NB voltage? I know my Q6600 can handle 3.2 GHz no problem (and I've tested it by stressing it with Prime95 and that doesn't cause any failures/reboots). This is driving me nuts (Been going on since I got the board on Saturday)

Define "load". My Q6600 hits 64-65C at 3.1Ghz, ONLY when Prime95 v25.6 is running on all four cores 100% load. Else, it varies between 55 and 60C max. Tried undervolting the chip?

Load was prime 64bit running small FFT on all cores, I wouldn't dare try intel burn test at those voltages(it would probably reach over 80C)

To put intel burn test into perspective, right now I'm stable at [email protected], prime hits 44C at load, intel burn test hits 53C(way more stressful than prime)

Bios Settings:

Well I can run a 437 FSB with all related voltages on auto, so I'd say you need to back off your clocks a bit. I can't do 9x400 on mine either, core #2 is my weak link (cores 0 and 1 can do it at 1.375v, core 3 requires 1.4v). It's possible I could achieve 3.6GHz if I could get voltages above 1.45 working (I get reboots after 10-15 mins of prime if I go over that despite load temps never exceeding 60c, and core 2 only lasts about half an hour before failing at 1.45), but really it isn't worth it. Stepping down to 8x437 got me 24h stable at 1.4v and with much better temps (49c). Maybe try something around that mark. My VID is 1.325v btw, so I wasn't expecting a huge OC from this chip.

Well I can run a 437 FSB with all related voltages on auto, so I'd say you need to back off your clocks a bit. I can't do 9x400 on mine either, core #2 is my weak link (cores 0 and 1 can do it at 1.375v, core 3 requires 1.4v). It's possible I could achieve 3.6GHz if I could get voltages above 1.45 working (I get reboots after 10-15 mins of prime if I go over that despite load temps never exceeding 60c, and core 2 only lasts about half an hour before failing at 1.45), but really it isn't worth it. Stepping down to 8x437 got me 24h stable at 1.4v and with much better temps (49c). Maybe try something around that mark. My VID is 1.325v btw, so I wasn't expecting a huge OC from this chip.

The thing with that is you're stressing your motherboard and ram more with higher FSB, I'm trying to find my processors max stable speed that I can run safely on a daily basis so increasing FSB would cause more chances for other components to cause instability.

The thing with that is you're stressing your motherboard and ram more with higher FSB, I'm trying to find my processors max stable speed that I can run safely on a daily basis so increasing FSB would cause more chances for other components to cause instability.

As long as you don't force a particular strap then increasing the FSB is not really a problem unless you're going stupidly high with it - besides, you can still run a 9x multi and try lowering FSB a bit. I just prefer to run the RAM a little faster without messing with dividers (I'm only using PC-6400). 1.52v is far from being something you would 'run safely on a daily basis', especially with aircooling - I'm just trying to tell you that you've gone past your limit and need to slow things up a bit. The point I was making regarding FSB was that I'm running mine at a higher speed than you and have not touched the voltages, therefore it is unlikely that increasing NB voltages will help.

I tried all 6 BIOSs and the most stable one for me so far was v803. Now I have everything up and running smoothly. I recommend this BIOS version until the next official one is released.

Thank you! I've been pulling my hair out trying to get my p5q-e and q9550 stable. After a few days of continuous crashes, distorted screens and general instability I was about to RMA this board. I had already tried updating to the latest BIOS (v1306), but I hadn't thought to try earlier releases. After seeing your comment, I installed v0803 and its been smooth sailing for two straight hours of heavy gaming and benchmarking.

I'll keep monitoring to see if it remains stable, but so far, so good. :D

Some of the biggest things that have helped me are raising the GTL ref and giving up on a fast 4up system. My 4 slot config hopes were dashed by slower and mismatching sticks but the chipset really does not forgive you with PL (performance level) of 13 stable 10 bootable when I was at 8/7 with 2.

e8400 with 2GB Ballistic PC8500

AI Overclock tuner: MANUAL
CPU Ratio Setting: AUTO
FSB Frequency: 454
FSB Strap to North Bridge: AUTO
PCI-E Frequency: 101
DRAM Frequency: 1076 (?ish I'm doing this from memory)
DRAM Timing Control: Manual
rest AUTO

DRAM Static Read Control: Disabled
DRAM Read Training: Disabled
MEM. OC Charger: AUTO
AI Clock Twister: Light
AI Transaction Booster: MANUAL
PL8
All Pull-ins Enabled
CPU Voltage: 1.365
CPU GTL Voltage Reference: 1/3 0.67 0/2 0.67
CPU PLL Voltage: 1.52
FSB Termination Voltage: 1.22
DRAM Voltage: 2.2 (Actively cooled. WARNING: P5q notoriously overvolt memory)
NB Voltage: 1.24
NB GTL Reference: AUTO
SB Voltage: AUTO
PCIE SATA Voltage: AUTO

Load Line Calibration: ENABLED
CPU Spread Spectrum: DISABLED
PCIE Spread Spectrum: DISABLED
CPU Clock Skew : AUTO
NB Clock Skew : AUTO
CPU Margin Enhancement: OPTIMIZED

Performance level makes a BIG difference in how the OS "feels" to me so this is one of the most important settings to me. I'll try to get AI clock to moderate with some more work but these settings have been 100% stable for me and I wanted to share.

Some of the biggest things that have helped me are raising the GTL ref and giving up on a fast 4up system. My 4 slot config hopes were dashed by slower and mismatching sticks but the chipset really does not forgive you with PL (performance level) of 13 stable 10 bootable when I was at 8/7 with 2.

e8400 with 2GB Ballistic PC8500

AI Overclock tuner: MANUAL
CPU Ratio Setting: AUTO
FSB Frequency: 454
FSB Strap to North Bridge: AUTO
PCI-E Frequency: 101
DRAM Frequency: 1076 (?ish I'm doing this from memory)
DRAM Timing Control: Manual
rest AUTO

DRAM Static Read Control: Disabled
DRAM Read Training: Disabled
MEM. OC Charger: AUTO
AI Clock Twister: Light
AI Transaction Booster: MANUAL
PL8
All Pull-ins Enabled
CPU Voltage: 1.365
CPU GTL Voltage Reference: 1/3 0.67 0/2 0.67
CPU PLL Voltage: 1.52
FSB Termination Voltage: 1.22
DRAM Voltage: 2.2 (Actively cooled. WARNING: P5q notoriously overvolt memory)
NB Voltage: 1.24
NB GTL Reference: AUTO
SB Voltage: AUTO
PCIE SATA Voltage: AUTO

Load Line Calibration: ENABLED
CPU Spread Spectrum: DISABLED
PCIE Spread Spectrum: DISABLED
CPU Clock Skew : AUTO
NB Clock Skew : AUTO
CPU Margin Enhancement: OPTIMIZED

Performance level makes a BIG difference in how the OS "feels" to me so this is one of the most important settings to me. I'll try to get AI clock to moderate with some more work but these settings have been 100% stable for me and I wanted to share.

Thanks for sharing your successful settings. Most of my settings are very similar, but I haven't had to mess with the GTL at all ... yet. Even to hit 4.0GHz I didn't mess with the GTL, but if it helps your stability and doesn't fry anything.

I'm finding this board a lot harder to overclock than the crappy 680i I had. I can't seem to hit 3.4Ghz stable on here at all. 3.3Ghz is stable at 1.3v...but it seems even if I raise the voltage to 1.45v 3.4ghz fails. I was running 3.6Ghz without a sweat on the 680i.

I've tried messing with various settings here and there with regards to the GTL, NB, SKEWs, DRAM divider, etc and can't seem to find the "magic" to get 3.6ghz again.

As long as you don't force a particular strap then increasing the FSB is not really a problem unless you're going stupidly high with it - besides, you can still run a 9x multi and try lowering FSB a bit. I just prefer to run the RAM a little faster without messing with dividers (I'm only using PC-6400). 1.52v is far from being something you would 'run safely on a daily basis', especially with aircooling - I'm just trying to tell you that you've gone past your limit and need to slow things up a bit. The point I was making regarding FSB was that I'm running mine at a higher speed than you and have not touched the voltages, therefore it is unlikely that increasing NB voltages will help.

Unless you manually set all of your voltages the motherboard is likely increasing them for you, if you left them on auto, also I'm well aware that 1.52v is far from safe to run on the daily basis on air cooling, but it would be pointless because my processor still isn't stable at that voltage.

Hi Guys, first post on the boards, found this thread from another forum, great info here and it looks like almost everyone is getting amazing results. I can't seem to get over 3.2Ghz stable, its either Im doing something wrong or my CPU VID is 1.3125 and is too high to get a good overclock.

Stats:
Vista x64 Ultimate
Antec 900 Mid Tower Gamer Case
Corsair TX750W 750W
ASUS P5Q Pro LGA775 P45
Sunbeam Core Contact Freezer 4 Heatpipe Heatsink
Intel Core2 Quad 66000 [G0] 2.4GHZ @ 3.19GHZ [355 x 9 @ 1.4v]
OCZ Platinum XTC PC2-6400 4GB 2X2GB DDR2-800 CL5-4-4-15 V2.1
EVGA E-GEFORCE 9800GX2 600MHZ 1GB 2.0GHZ GDDR3
Western Digital Caviar SE16 640GB SATA2 7200RPM 16MB
Western Digital Caviar SE16 500GB SATA2 7200RPM 16MB

So I picked up my new Heatsink fan and started trying to overclock, I put everything on AUTO and tried the following...

400 fsb x 9 = BSOD
385 fsb x 9 = BSOD after seconds of loading Vista
365 fsb x 9 = BSOD after 2hrs in Prime 95. Crysis BSOD after 15mins, VCORE autos at 1.44v
355 fsb x 9 = STABLE after 10hrs of Prime 95 (blend), VCORE autos at 1.4v

Idle: CPU@23C MB@33C
Load: CPU@45C MB@38C

I wasn’t really expecting the 400x9 to work but I’m really surprised I couldn’t even hit 385 FSB for 3.4Ghz, almost ever overclock I’ve read about with this chip has attained 3.4GHZ. So I suspect perhaps I was doing something wrong, can anyone provide any advice?

Also, although I have the Q6600 Go revision it looks like i’ve got the ones with the high VID, its at 1.315v. I’m alos pretty sure this is why I can’t go higher because it puts the Voltage at over 1.4 and it gets unstable?

Can anyone provide some insight, I’m not overclocking my RAM at all while doing this, as far as I know.

Thanks,

Hi Guys, first post on the boards, found this thread from another forum, great info here and it looks like almost everyone is getting amazing results. I can't seem to get over 3.2Ghz stable, its either Im doing something wrong or my CPU VID is 1.3125 and is too high to get a good overclock.

Stats:
Vista x64 Ultimate
Antec 900 Mid Tower Gamer Case
Corsair TX750W 750W
ASUS P5Q Pro LGA775 P45
Sunbeam Core Contact Freezer 4 Heatpipe Heatsink
Intel Core2 Quad 66000 [G0] 2.4GHZ @ 3.19GHZ [355 x 9 @ 1.4v]
OCZ Platinum XTC PC2-6400 4GB 2X2GB DDR2-800 CL5-4-4-15 V2.1
EVGA E-GEFORCE 9800GX2 600MHZ 1GB 2.0GHZ GDDR3
Western Digital Caviar SE16 640GB SATA2 7200RPM 16MB
Western Digital Caviar SE16 500GB SATA2 7200RPM 16MB

So I picked up my new Heatsink fan and started trying to overclock, I put everything on AUTO and tried the following...

400 fsb x 9 = BSOD
385 fsb x 9 = BSOD after seconds of loading Vista
365 fsb x 9 = BSOD after 2hrs in Prime 95. Crysis BSOD after 15mins, VCORE autos at 1.44v
355 fsb x 9 = STABLE after 10hrs of Prime 95 (blend), VCORE autos at 1.4v

Idle: CPU@23C MB@33C
Load: CPU@45C MB@38C

I wasn’t really expecting the 400x9 to work but I’m really surprised I couldn’t even hit 385 FSB for 3.4Ghz, almost ever overclock I’ve read about with this chip has attained 3.4GHZ. So I suspect perhaps I was doing something wrong, can anyone provide any advice?

Also, although I have the Q6600 Go revision it looks like i’ve got the ones with the high VID, its at 1.315v. I’m alos pretty sure this is why I can’t go higher because it puts the Voltage at over 1.4 and it gets unstable?

Can anyone provide some insight, I’m not overclocking my RAM at all while doing this, as far as I know.

Thanks,
If I even want my processor to be stable at 3.4ghz I have to volt it nearly 1.5v, and its still not stable enough to pass prime.

Moral of the story, 1.325v VIDs suck.

If I even want my processor to be stable at 3.4ghz I have to volt it nearly 1.5v, and its still not stable enough to pass prime.

Moral of the story, 1.325v VIDs suck.

dunno... come to find out my Q6600 G0 is defaults to 1.26v... and I can't get 3.4Ghz very stable either.

Since I was able to run it so easily on my 680i board at 3.6Ghz, it leads me to believe that there's something else besides the CPU being the limiting factor. It must be in one of the many voltage settings that can be adjusted. It even crashes when I set the ram to the most conservative settings so I don't think it's memory either.

I've even tried Bios' 806, 1306, 1402, and 1403. Some are better than others but right now I'm on 806 (I think it's 806 anyway).

On my p5q deluxe i set the pll, fsb termination and nb voltages to +0.02v above auto and dropped the ram voltage to 2.02v (my ram is rated at 2.1-2.2v) apparently theese boards overvolt the ram by upto 0.08v and the chipset voltages by quite a bit if left on auto or the lowest manual setting.

p5qdeluxe0702vreadingscrj5.jpg

With theese settings ive been able to get my q6600 (1.2750 vid) to 3.6ghz with a vcore of 1.4125.

Can someone help me? Right now I'm pushing a 1.3v vcore in bios to remain Intel Burn Test stable at 335x9, however occasionally my vcore wll go down to 1.25 while idleing and stay there, making my computer a ticking time bomb for BSOD.

Does anyone know why the vcore might suddenly drop a lot and stay there?

did you enable the load line calibration option in the bios? This controls the vdroop which it sounds like what you're experiencing. My voltage stays stable between idle and load. First Asus board I've ever owned that's done that as all the previous boards have required a vdroop mod.

I cannot stress enough how important FAST memory is to this board. It's been said before and this board really shines with a divider and lower PL's. If you can only hit ddr2 800 and do not want to buy faster memory then I would recommend looking at a p35 board as they are a a much better bang for your buck. 45nm quads? I take all this back.

If you are using a quad pay extra attention to the GTL ref volts as usually only one core fails prime (or othos) and you can keep the vcore below 1.5 while increasing volts to that core alone.

LLC can be a boon or bust depending on your perspective. It does what nst6563 said and some still say that vdroop is a good thing as Intel intended.
My understanding is that instead of a loss of voltage on load, LLC will increase voltage. Just up your voltages a bit if you bsod on idle.

you snagged those from over at XtremeSystems didn't ya ;)
a guy on a uk forum im a member off grabbed them from xtremesystems and posted them on it. forums.overclockers.co.uk. id heard of the boards overvolting but didnt realise just how much.

I have a p5q-e and its doing pretty well with my E6750.

760_1200.jpg

My E6750 is vid-1.35v,its at 3.8ghz/480fsb/1.475v with my ram at 960mhz 1:1.

My cooling is a waterchill 240mm rad(thermochill soon),ddc3.2(18watt) pump,swiftech apogee gt water block.My 4850 has a accelero S1R2 on it with a 120mm akasa amber fan.

My cpu temps are-
Idle 30-32c
Load 48-50c

Ti66er

did you enable the load line calibration option in the bios? This controls the vdroop which it sounds like what you're experiencing. My voltage stays stable between idle and load. First Asus board I've ever owned that's done that as all the previous boards have required a vdroop mod.

Yes I have, but for whatever reason, usually when I'm done playing or am playing war, my vcore drops to 1.25v permanently, no fluctuations.

Yes I have, but for whatever reason, usually when I'm done playing or am playing war, my vcore drops to 1.25v permanently, no fluctuations.

Try different versions of the BIOS. When I first had the stock BIOS I had fluctuations as well, even when calibration was enabled. I updated to the 700-something BIOS, then the 1000-something BIOS, and it didn't fluctuate as much, but I couldn't get express gate to work. I downloaded the original 503 BIOS from the website, and restored back to that one. Now it doesn't drop at all, even when not under load. I'm sure it makes my PC less efficient, but that's not what I built this machine for.

Give different BIOSes a try.

And anyone have any tips on getting Express gate to work again??? I am having no luck. I don't want to reinstall Vista. Don't think I should have to. I haven't been able to get it to work since I switched my drives from IDE mode to AHCI, which they are all SATA. I've reinstalled and uninstalled and repeated all the different versions of EG, and still no luck!! :confused:

Express gate Will Not work if your drives are in anything other than ide mode.

Back