The Official P45 Asus P5Q Motherboard Thread

^ Thats exactly what i just saw and now its has me wondering...
I was gonna buy the EP45-DS3R with ITS GB 4850 for just about the same money but after i saw that deal im thinking it over... as a first time builder im not sure which of these would be more "noob friendly" or OC' better with a Q6600

I also ordered a P5Q Pro from Newegg today. I ended up buying the bundled deal Newegg are offering which includes an Asus 4850 graphics card for $30 off. According to the reviews, that card performs comparable to the GeForce 9800 GTX. One big benefit is that you can have the P5Q EPU manage the Asus 4850. I also figured with this configuration I could go CrossFireX if I needed more graphics horsepower in the future.

To round this build out I selected the Q9450, 4GB of 1066 G.Skill, WD 640GB, Apollo case, EarthWatts 500, Samsung DVD, and Vista 64. Can't wait to get every thing in and get this rig built!

Nice build.. I expect my shipment today but I will throw my 7900gt in when I put my mb in until I decide what card i'm gonna upgrade to. Oh and Vista 64.

I can't believe my graphics card will be the last thing I upgrade.

Has anyone actually used the LAN teaming options? I was thinking about using this board to stream media to another pc with teaming LAN options. Does it really improve the speeds? I got gigabit router/switches.

Has anyone actually used the LAN teaming options? I was thinking about using this board to stream media to another pc with teaming LAN options. Does it really improve the speeds? I got gigabit router/switches.

Do you just want to mess around with the LAN teaming feature for fun? Because you certainly don't need multiple gigabit to stream compressed HD. I've done 1080p over a single 100baseT.

Unless you're looking to squeeze every last clock out of your processor, 8 phase power is plenty good. Asus still advertises 8 phase power in many of its boards.

Honestly, if you're looking for extreme overclocks, you wouldn't be looking at a mid range board.

I'm not saying you won't get stellar overclocks on the p45 chipset, (yes, even the "only" 8 phase board) just that they won't push records like the x48 chipset can.

I am considering one of the non-Deuxe versions.

I have been comparing the specs on the ASUS website, but concerned that they may be inaccurate, and newegg has very few pictures up at this time.

I will likely use just one video card, and a Quad. The only real differences (other than with the 16 phase Deluxe) seem to be the number of gigabit network ports and the number of PCIe slots.

So, if that is true, would I want the P5Q vanilla, the Pro or the -E model?

Also, I have read threads elsewhere stating that Quads may be happier with 16 phase power. Such as:
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=566626

Any truth?

^ Thats exactly what i just saw and now its has me wondering...
I was gonna buy the EP45-DS3R with ITS GB 4850 for just about the same money but after i saw that deal im thinking it over... as a first time builder im not sure which of these would be more "noob friendly" or OC' better with a Q6600

Not sure what you mean exactly by “noob friendly”. I’ve worked with folks who have never assembled a rig, but they could if they ever wanted to. They buy off the shelf because they don’t have the time or interest. On the other end there’s my mom who’s also a noob. She still calls her Dell system a “hard drive”?? Maybe that’s beyond noob and entering into the “puter tard” realm.

I was originally thinking of going with a DFI LanParty P45 board. They are offering a feature called Auto Boost System for noob overclocking. You download and run profiles for your setup. It’s an interesting idea and it might be simple but it certainly won’t be optimal. Every processor is different with regards to its particular overclocking ability. The second thing is that the DFI still hasn’t released their P45 boards. I got tired of waiting.

The Biostar P43 is another interesting board on the Egg. ($85 with free shipping) Marry that up with the eVGA 8800GS for $80 (that card uses the G92 GPU). Drop in a C2D processor get it all overclocked accordingly and you could have a $400 beast of a rig.

Yes, can't wait to get home! C'mon 6 o'clock.

06/24/2008 12:27:00 DELIVERED[D] PHILADELPHIA, PA, US MET CUST GRL

got my p5q3 deluxe hooked up today waiting on vid card and psu. will post how she overclocks my q6600.
87989970hu8.jpg

ITT we post pics of our P5Q's. NewEgg delivered a day early AND my 8am class got canceled today! What a pro day. Anyways, without further ado, the first shipment of my new build since my 6800 Ultra.

Group shot
neweggorder001fg7.jpg

P5Q-D pr0n
neweggorder011rh7.jpg

My $150 (Olive you NewEgg!) 8800GTS (G92) vs. the late $600 6800 Ultra
neweggorder012nu5.jpg

More sex coming when the rest of my gear gets here, trust me...it's going to look hot when I'm done.

Spoilers: 4780X2, BenQ V2400W, and P182SE

EDIT: Do you just bend the clips for the PCI-E 16x's or is there some motion to release/reclamp them?

Sirk1000 is that the xigmatek CPU fan?
I wanna get the p5q-e but ived read that the xigmatek doesnt fit sideways have to put it facing up... the opposite of how you have it.

What are you gonna do with yr 6800 ultra?

Well it bit the dust a month ago and I replaced it with the only AGP 8x card I could find locally (7600GS). Currently I'm running an FX53 (cost over $800 back in June 04') with an A8V-D, Corsair 2GB 2-2-2-5 DDR400s, in a Silverstone tower.

My other system (build a few month afterwards) sports a 6800GT, 4400+, A8N-SLI, 1GB DDR400. I'm going to add another 1GB to this and swap the 6800GT with this 8800GTS I'll be using for a month in my new P5Q-D system.

Sirk1000 is that the xigmatek CPU fan?
I wanna get the p5q-e but ived read that the xigmatek doesnt fit sideways have to put it facing up... the opposite of how you have it.

The cpu cooler is a Thermalright ultima-90 with a arctic fan on it (92mm).It's tight but it fits

I am considering one of the non-Deuxe versions.

I have been comparing the specs on the ASUS website, but concerned that they may be inaccurate, and newegg has very few pictures up at this time.

I will likely use just one video card, and a Quad. The only real differences (other than with the 16 phase Deluxe) seem to be the number of gigabit network ports and the number of PCIe slots.

So, if that is true, would I want the P5Q vanilla, the Pro or the -E model?
P5Q-E is the best bang for the buck. It has everything the deluxe has except for the SSD version of Express Gate and 16 Phase Power...for $50 less! Exact same board all things considered.

The cpu cooler is a Thermalright ultima-90 with a arctic fan on it (92mm).It's tight but it fits

Ahh ok looking @ the dimensions of that model seems like the Xigmatek is bigger than yours so most likely it wont fit like yours :( oh well just gonna have to have it facing up instead of sideways like i wanted.... damn mail needs to hurry and deliver it! :mad:

P5Q-E is the best bang for the buck. It has everything the deluxe has except for the SSD version of Express Gate and 16 Phase Power...for $50 less! Exact same board all things considered.

How does the Express Gate work without SSD?

i finally got my Asus P5Q running.

PC spec:

Asus P5Q
e8400
4 GB from Gskill PQ memory

i am wondering what is the highest temp that e8400 can handle.

how do i turn off the speedstep on the bios? even though i turn off the speedstep on the bios, it is still doing it.

ITT we post pics of our P5Q's. NewEgg delivered a day early AND my 8am class got canceled today! What a pro day. Anyways, without further ado, the first shipment of my new build since my 6800 Ultra.

Group shot
neweggorder001fg7.jpg

P5Q-D pr0n
neweggorder011rh7.jpg

That's hot. I am officially a nerd for loving those two pics. My first real build will be here in the next day or two.

P5Q-E, E8400, 8800GT, 4GB Gskill, 520hx, hmmmmm...

i finally got my Asus P5Q running.

ow do i turn off the speedstep on the bios? even though i turn off the speedstep on the bios, it is still doing it.

i have the p5q and noticed the same thing..kept flipping from 6x to 8x on my 9450..i believe i went into the bios and turned off other settings on that same area that could potentially be related and that fixed it up, that's for sure. (can't remember but might have had to disable thermal protection or eist.)

anyone know if the Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme will fit on a P5Q-E, im a bit worried now :E

anyone know if the Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme will fit on a P5Q-E, im a bit worried now :E

I have my TRUE-120 on my P5Q-Deluxe. There is lots of room to mount it either vertically or horizontally (I have it mounted vertically).

No worries. ;)

I was considering a Deluxe with an X3350, but ASUS does not list Xeon support for any consumer motherboards. I don't want to boot the thing up and get an "unknown CPU' message, so I guess I won't be getting an X3350?

you'll be fine with the xeon..now that we're well past the initial p35 and quad combinations, the bios suppliers have it figured out. i have a test quad that was an early stepping (B1) that wouldn't boot on my p35 gigabyte ds4..it booted once i did a bios update on an abit ip35 pro..booted automatically..and now, with the asus p5a, it was properly recognized as a q9450..finally:) ..(it was never recognized as more than intel quad core on the abit) my point is, you can see the evolution of the bioses with the quads.

you'll be fine with the xeon..now that we're well past the initial p35 and quad combinations, the bios suppliers have it figured out. i have a test quad that was an early stepping (B1) that wouldn't boot on my p35 gigabyte ds4..it booted once i did a bios update on an abit ip35 pro..booted automatically..and now, with the asus p5a, it was properly recognized as a q9450..finally:) ..(it was never recognized as more than intel quad core on the abit) my point is, you can see the evolution of the bioses with the quads.

Thanks.
So, no chance whatsoever of an "unknown CPU" message?
The ASUS BIOS will know what the X3350 is?
More than wanting it to boot, I want it to be able to properly identify it.

That said, would you go with an X3350 over a Q9450?

could i say 100% that i know someone whose done it with that processor and board? no..would i put money on it that it will work? you bet..asus was i believe the first company that had bioses compatible with quad 45nm processors with their pks..i'm very confident..if it were me? i'd get the xeon..it might just be a sturdier processor than the 9450..and might just overclock a bit better. my 9450 is a bit of an overclocking dud..3600 stable is my best on any board..i think it should do 3800 stable if it was a regular stepping9450, but it was part of the price i paid to have the first one in canada:)

ps- i'm pretty darn sure from what i did read when people started putting xeon's into the p35s that the microcode is the same for both..it's just sold basically under a "business" versus "private buyer" name and possibly the xeons are chips picked for their extra durability.

could i say 100% that i know someone whose done it with that processor and board? no..would i put money on it that it will work? you bet..asus was i believe the first company that had bioses compatible with quad 45nm processors with their pks..i'm very confident..if it were me? i'd get the xeon..it might just be a sturdier processor than the 9450..and might just overclock a bit better. my 9450 is a bit of an overclocking dud..3600 stable is my best on any board..i think it should do 3800 stable if it was a regular stepping9450, but it was part of the price i paid to have the first one in canada:)

ps- i'm pretty darn sure from what i did read when people started putting xeon's into the p35s that the microcode is the same for both..it's just sold basically under a "business" versus "private buyer" name and possibly the xeons are chips picked for their extra durability.

Thanks for your input.
I have read two "stories" on the Xeons:

1.) What you say, that these are the chips with lower VID, best quality.

2.) That there are a few pin differences in the Xeons, i.e. since they support 24/7 operation, a few minor sleep functions of the desktop processors are not supported. There have been a few articles saying this, no idea if they are true or total BS.

I would think that if I got it from newegg, and within 7 days found that it was not recognized that I could return it as incompatible?

Has anyone heard anything about the incompatibility with raptor hd's? I was almost sold on the P5Q-Deluxe until I read about this incompatibility in the [H] review. Has the problem been addressed/resolved or even acknowledged by Asus? Does the P5Q Pro have the same issues? I have one of those fancy new velociraptors but don't feel like buying one of these boards if it's going to give me problems.

Got my P5Q-Pro installed tonight with my Q6600. I'll update my sig when I get everything up and running right. So far it's ok, haven't tweaked anything yet just wanted to make sure I didn't have anything DOA.

Looking at the bios screen my CPU temp 41 and MB temp 29. Ran into a problem with my 2nd Sata drive not being recognized/causing my system to not boot up into Windows. I still have to finish installing all the MB drivers & Video Card driver and activate Windows. Sata problem no big deal I was worried about something major happening.

How's those temps anything unusual there?

Just thought I'd pop in and give some input. This board has really impressed me, managed the overclock in my sig with no effort at all. Ran stable and cool right from day one! Highly recommend to anyone considering.

Just thought I'd pop in and give some input. This board has really impressed me, managed the overclock in my sig with no effort at all. Ran stable and cool right from day one! Highly recommend to anyone considering.

You got the Pro. Did you consider the Deluxe or the -E, and did you not choose one of them for any reason other than price?

well i got my p5q3 deluxe up and running. overclocking is so easy compaired to my old pos commando. Wish my quad didnt need a shit load of voltage to get a decent overclock.

You got the Pro. Did you consider the Deluxe or the -E, and did you not choose one of them for any reason other than price?

I got the pro mainly because I was already over budget on my components. The vanilla P5Q has an inconvenient layout so this was the obvious next choice at only 10 bucks more. It does everything I need, so I'm happy :D

Pop the board in last night.p5q deluxe
Pleased.
worked as a charm and no problems clocking.:D

Went to 500fsb directly and adjusted the vcore and ramdimm.
didnt start up with my crucial ballistic pc8500 sticks, had to pop in slower ram to adjust vcore.
after that, no problems running 3gb ram.

My cpu requires some vcore however to get 4ghz stable.
But that was the same with the old board.
It might require a little less voltage on this board due to more stable phase units.

Are you currently running the PC8500 Ballistix in the Deluxe Flopper?

I have four 1GB modules (never opened) of PC8500 Ballistix I am intending to install in this board sometime in July.

The -E for $10 offers alot more than the pro...i guess people wanna see newegg reviews before buying them i guess lol... the deluxe doesnt seem to have a problem do great board :)

The -E for $10 offers alot more than the pro...i guess people wanna see newegg reviews before buying them i guess lol... the deluxe doesnt seem to have a problem do great board :)

We all know we cant follow some of the idiot reviews on Newegg!

Some of the reviews are starting to appear on the web now though.

Back