The Official P45 Asus P5Q Motherboard Thread

Another P5Q Deluxe review here, and here. That first article also indicates that there will be one more P5Q board, the P5Q-WS, which I'm guessing will have a PCI-X slot.

This fits well with my plans for a new computer build around November. Going to have to update my specs.

Wow, those look like solid boards. The price is a bit of a turn off in comparison to P35 and X38 boards, though.

I've been waiting to see about ICH10R, it can't just be a die-shrink of ICH9R, can it? There's got to be more to it than that.

Why are you interested in P5Q3 with DDR3 slots? There's not much to gain in performance and a lot to spend.

I'm going to get the P5Q Deluxe.

I'm also interested in knowing when this will be released so I can add a link to my documents for following the price.

Why are you interested in P5Q3 with DDR3 slots? There's not much to gain in performance and a lot to spend.

I'm going to get the P5Q Deluxe.

I'm also interested in knowing when this will be released so I can add a link to my documents for following the price.

Well I am going with a QX9650 CPU and the new GT 280 GPU, mine as well get the faster ram.

Do you own DDR3 to make a judgement like that? Or is it something you read.

$149 AR for OCZ DDR3 1600 is pretty darn good. Heck, $15 more for the Reaper Edition.

Sure is nice running your memory at a 1:2 ratio to your FSB.

Do you own DDR3 to make a judgement like that? Or is it something you read.

$149 AR for OCZ DDR3 1600 is pretty darn good. Heck, $15 more for the Reaper Edition.

Sure is nice running your memory at a 1:2 ratio to your FSB.

For what? 2 gigs? If so, 2 gigs doesn't cut it anymore.

A lot of people are saying the p45 chipset isn't worth an upgrade, is that true?

From what I read on the reviews, there is nothing drastically different. Just fine tuning and some additins like pci-e 2.0 slots. If you already have a p35 you should just hold off for nehalem. However if you are looking to build a new system its a good choice. I am in that last boat, my main rig is socket 939 :rolleyes:.

From what I read on the reviews, there is nothing drastically different. Just fine tuning and some additins like pci-e 2.0 slots. If you already have a p35 you should just hold off for nehalem. However if you are looking to build a new system its a good choice. I am in that last boat, my main rig is socket 939 :rolleyes:.

Ok I know it's a new chipset and mb makers are just putting out boards. I'm about to read the review on (H)ard about the new Asus mb which they say is fantastic. In my sig I'm looking for a new Intel MB and for me I want something spanking new. I understand the p35 is tried and true but I don't have a p35 board I have a Nforce 570 board. I just received my Q6600 yesterday so people are comlaining already that the p45 boards are expensive.

From what I know a lot of Intel boards are expensive anyway. I did a search on some of the etailers and the prices to me for some p45 boards are nice. I paid top dollar for my m2n-sli deluxe and I won't skimp on a new mb for my $199 cpu.

I mean are the prices on these boards a turn off?

Ok I know it's a new chipset and mb makers are just putting out boards. I'm about to read the review on (H)ard about the new Asus mb which they say is fantastic. In my sig I'm looking for a new Intel MB and for me I want something spanking new. I understand the p35 is tried and true but I don't have a p35 board I have a Nforce 570 board. I just received my Q6600 yesterday so people are comlaining already that the p45 boards are expensive.

From what I know a lot of Intel boards are expensive anyway. I did a search on some of the etailers and the prices to me for some p45 boards are nice. I paid top dollar for my m2n-sli deluxe and I won't skimp on a new mb for my $199 cpu.

I mean are the prices on these boards a turn off?

Well than I would say def get one with a new Q6600. I really wanted a nforce board, like a 790i, just so I had the option to SLI if I wanted to. However I going to stick with the more stable and reliable intel chipsets. The p45 is like the last in the line of 775 sockets so this bad boy should have allllll the kinks worked out of the p35 chipsets. Well I hope anyway.

Price is really not a big deal. You are getting alot. I think the onboard instant boot linux is awsome and is the reason I am going to go with an asus board over the other brands. I am personally going to go with the P5Q3 Deluxe, I want to be able to use the faster DDR3 ram to pair up with my planned QX9650.

Hopefully these boards come out soon as I want to get my build going in July or so.

Anyone know what the difference is between the P5Q-E and P5Q Deluxe ?

I check the specs at Asus global site but they seems the same. I'm sure I missed something or the posted spec is wrong one of them.

http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=3&l2=11&l3=709

To answer my own question:

Found a chart that shows the differences between all the P5Q's versions features.
http://www.techarp.com/showarticle.aspx?artno=548&pgno=0

The main diff is P5Q-E (8 phase power) and P5Q Deluxe (16 phase)
P5Q-E also has a few more usb ports.

How much does 16 vs 8 phase power matter if you don't intend to overclock ?

8 phase will probably not hurt your overclocks much. Asus still advertises 8 phase power in some of its boards. 16 MIGHT be better, but I doubt you'll notice a difference. You're more likely to be affected by a good/bad batch of your board than the 2x power phase. I'd guess you might squeeze a MAX of 20-80Mhz more out of your processor... IMO not worth the extra $40. I just bought the P5Q-E.

Got my P5Q Deluxe this morning. Upgraded from a P5K-E. No hassles. Just swapped boards and installed new drivers. Vista x64 didn't even blink apart from having to reactivate my OEM version.

got my P5Q vanilla built up a few days ago. also no issue here (quad 9450) i quite like the features and such. i was surprised that even though it wanted reactivation, it was able to reactivate over the internet without a call (when i went from a gigabyte p35 board to abit ip-35pro, had to call it in)

Same here. Just the usual internet code. My last upgrade from an AMD motherboard meant I had to ring in.

interesting that:) love the p45 chip and how cool it runs. that being said, have yet to prove it can overclock any better than my abit ip35 pro could..so far it's potential seems about the same, albeit the cooler northbridge. but, my 9450 was a very earlier release B1 stepping so it may simply have an fsb limitation that doesn't exist in later steppings.

I just ordered the P5q-pro from Newegg yesterday so I'm in no rush to get it for the simple fact that my last order took a week to get here.

I did a lot of searching and reading up on the available boards but couldn't find enough in the way of reviews so I stuck with Asus because to me they make quality boards. I heard the Biostar T-power was nice overclocker but I never had a Biostar board. Gigabyte available boards all seem the same plus there were no reviews on them.

So can't wait to get the board to test it out.

i've had one biostar board..(p965 chipset based) . found out after i bought it that the model had hit and miss cold boot issues..turns out mine was one of the ones and never did get it going..plus my 11 year old can write better then the tech authors for their website. never will i touch a biostar again.you did the right thing, welcome to the club:)

The main diff is P5Q-E (8 phase power) and P5Q Deluxe (16 phase)
P5Q-E also has a few more usb ports.

If you're a hardcore overclocker, you're probably running a X38/X48 board so this feature isn't going to break the bank. It's really about the lifespan of the motherboard when overclocking, not big performance increases. There are other features also on the Deluxe only model, such as the SSD based Express Gate. This means that it doesn't have to be installed on your hard drive like other models.

do you need EPS Power Supply in ordre to boot up the system? can i just use 4-pin ATX to boot up the system?

The manual say" dont forget to connect 4-pin/8-pin EATX connector otherwise, the system will not boot."

Anyone running two 4850s in crossfire yet? I'd love to see some numbers at various resolutions to put an end to the whole "buy an x38/x48) if your crossfire" story because of the 8x limitation.

Doesn't anyone want to wait for prices and performance numbers for the 4870?

And the 4870 X2 is supposed to take back the performance crown..

Doesn't anyone want to wait for prices and performance numbers for the 4870?

And the 4870 X2 is supposed to take back the performance crown..
HD4870 is priced at $300-$350. Performance of a single card is less than two 4850s ($363 if you got a good deal) in crossfire so unless you want the HD4870 in Crossfire, nothing exciting.

The X2 isn't due out until August - September.

HD4870 is priced at $300-$350. Performance of a single card is less than two 4850s ($363 if you got a good deal) in crossfire so unless you want the HD4870 in Crossfire, nothing exciting.

The X2 isn't due out until August - September.

Any benchies to see?

So I'm building a new pc and so far I've got an E8400 for the cpu.

I plan to overclock the CPU but I'm not a huge overclocker, mainly cpu or such and general overclocks, nothing crazy. (only other overclock I've did was on my old p4 1.6a>2.1+).

Would it help any to get the deluxe or would I not notice taht much of a difference really going with the P5Q-E? How much of a difference will the 16-phase power make?

Unless you're looking to squeeze every last clock out of your processor, 8 phase power is plenty good. Asus still advertises 8 phase power in many of its boards.

Honestly, if you're looking for extreme overclocks, you wouldn't be looking at a mid range board.

I'm not saying you won't get stellar overclocks on the p45 chipset, (yes, even the "only" 8 phase board) just that they won't push records like the x48 chipset can.

I also ordered a P5Q Pro from Newegg today. I ended up buying the bundled deal Newegg are offering which includes an Asus 4850 graphics card for $30 off. According to the reviews, that card performs comparable to the GeForce 9800 GTX. One big benefit is that you can have the P5Q EPU manage the Asus 4850. I also figured with this configuration I could go CrossFireX if I needed more graphics horsepower in the future.

To round this build out I selected the Q9450, 4GB of 1066 G.Skill, WD 640GB, Apollo case, EarthWatts 500, Samsung DVD, and Vista 64. Can't wait to get every thing in and get this rig built!

Back