The Official P45 Asus P5Q Motherboard Thread

Finally have it up to 3.6ghz @ 1.4v. Going to see how much further I can push it and then back off the FSB and once I have that stable, then I'm going to back off the voltage until that is optimized. Then I'll tighten up the ram too.

Hey problems started with the mb recently, now I start my pc up and it just shuts down in 1-2 seconds. Check my sig for my current setup.

I didn't have this mb, and processor, for a year yet and it's already acting up. Has anyone had problems with the mb dying? I hope it's not the mb or the processor that died.

DDr2-800 is all I have. I'm gonna strip my pc down and start with components one by one and I hope it's the ps. If it is then that's the least expensive component to replace but just hope it didn't take anything else with it. I saw signs of this I should have done some troubleshooting earlier.

Hey problems started with the mb recently, now I start my pc up and it just shuts down in 1-2 seconds. Check my sig for my current setup.

I didn't have this mb, and processor, for a year yet and it's already acting up. Has anyone had problems with the mb dying? I hope it's not the mb or the processor that died.

Just out of curiosity, what is your bios version?

I've never upgraded my bios used it right out the box never had any problems. I've head about people having doa' but less than a friggin year never happened to me. I gave away my last extra ps too..

Did some testing with another pc in my house and come to find out it's my Corsair ps that crapped out on me.

Okay, just an update on what is going on with my overclock. The q6600 g0 is sitting stable at 1.4125v @ 3.6ghz (9*400). I've tried to get it to 3.8ghz @ 1.45 but it boots into windows, gets to the desktop bsods and reboots. I'm not willing to push it to 1.5 to find out yet. It's more e-peen at this point. My temps are hovering in the mid 30's so I'm okay with that right now.

Now i'm about optimizing the overclock with the best ram timings and voltages. Is anyone here willing to help me out with that?

Okay, just an update on what is going on with my overclock. The q6600 g0 is sitting stable at 1.4125v @ 3.6ghz (9*400). I've tried to get it to 3.8ghz @ 1.45 but it boots into windows, gets to the desktop bsods and reboots. I'm not willing to push it to 1.5 to find out yet. It's more e-peen at this point. My temps are hovering in the mid 30's so I'm okay with that right now.

Now i'm about optimizing the overclock with the best ram timings and voltages. Is anyone here willing to help me out with that?
For 3.8ghz on my q6600 p5q dlx combo i had to set the vcore to just over 1.5 (1.2750 vid chip, required 1.4125 for 3.6ghz) i also had to increase the CPU PLL to 1.6v, NB to 1.3v, and FSB TERM to 1.34, my ram is currently running at 844mhz, 2.02 volts timings loosened to 5-5-5-18, from 4-4-4-15.

For 3.8ghz on my q6600 p5q dlx combo i had to set the vcore to just over 1.5 (1.2750 vid chip, required 1.4125 for 3.6ghz) i also had to increase the CPU PLL to 1.6v, NB to 1.3v, and FSB TERM to 1.34, my ram is currently running at 844mhz, 2.02 volts timings loosened to 5-5-5-18, from 4-4-4-15.

I'll have to try that later. Right now I want to dial it in at 3.6ghz, but with better timings and. Right now a lot of stuff is sitting at auto, but I want the overclock to be more specific. Maybe I'm overthinking it or at least might be reaching to far.

Before the holiday I bought myself some new hardware and set it up, and ever since then I've been trying to achieve stability.

My setup is:
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.8GHz
Asus P5Q Pro
G.Skill 2x2048MB DDR2 1066MHz F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK
MSI GeForce GTX 260
Antec TPQ-850 850W ATX12V / EPS12V

The problem I am encountering is:
Sporadic blue screens / hardlocks while in Windows Vista (x64). It rarely points to a specific device driver, and is usually generic errors. It happens when I'm playing WoW or casually browsing the Internet, but rarely any other times (and I play other games).

What I have done to investigate/remedy this problem:
1. Memtest86 on each memory stick individually, and then both together, for 8 hours each run; 0 errors.
2. Prime95 blended test for 12 hours. One worker/core encountered an error after 9 hours, but the rest were error-free.
3. Installed only the latest device drivers for all of my hardware, from the manufacturers' websites. I've also ran sfc /scannow to verify my core Windows system files.
4. Ensured normal temperatures were fine. CPU is at 26 Celsius idle, and around 40 at full load.

I am currently using BIOS 1613. I am wondering on whether a setting I have in the BIOS is the culprit. If you have any suggestions on what I should change, or what your successful settings are, please tell me. I am not wanting to or trying to overclock.

Ai Overclock Tuner Manual
CPU Ratio Setting 08.5
FSB Frequency 333
PCIE Frequency 333
FSB Strap to North Bridge 333
DRAM Frequency DDR2-1066MHz
DRAM Timing Control Auto (5-5-5-15)
DRAM Static Read Control Disabled
DRAM Read Training Disabled
MEM. OC Charger Disabled
Ai Clock Twister Light
Ai Transaction Booster Auto
CPU Voltage Auto
VPU GTL Reference Auto
CPU PLL Voltage Auto
FSB Termination Voltage Auto
DRAM Voltage 2.10 (the memory spec is for 2.0 to 2.10, I've read suggestions to use 2.1)
NB Voltage Auto
SB Voltage Auto
PCIE SATA Voltage Auto
Load-Line Calibration Auto
CPU Spread Spectrum Auto
PCIE Spread Spectrum Auto
CPU Clock Skew Auto
NB Clock Skew Auto
CPU Margin Enhancement Optimized
C1E Support Disabled
Virtualization Enabled
Intel CPU TM Function Disabled
Execute Disable Bit Enabled
Memory Remap Feature Enabled (in order to use 4GB)
Memory Hole Disabled
ACPI 2.0 Support Enabled
ACPI APIC support Enabled

I have tried disabling both CPU and PCIE Spread Spectrum, as well as having the DRAM Static Read Control, Read Training, and OC Charger options Enabled. The above is what I've had the most luck with, albeit still unstable.

Thanks,
Erik

Before the holiday I bought myself some new hardware and set it up, and ever since then I've been trying to achieve stability.

My setup is:
Asus P5Q Pro
MSI GeForce GTX 260

Sporadic blue screens / hardlocks while in Windows Vista (x64). It rarely points to a specific device driver, and is usually generic errors. It happens when I'm playing WoW or casually browsing the Internet, but rarely any other times (and I play other games).

1. Memtest86 on each memory stick individually, and then both together, for 8 hours each run; 0 errors.
2. Prime95 blended test for 12 hours. One worker/core encountered an error after 9 hours, but the rest were error-free.
3. Installed only the latest device drivers for all of my hardware, from the manufacturers' websites. I've also ran sfc /scannow to verify my core Windows system files.
4. Ensured normal temperatures were fine. CPU is at 26 Celsius idle, and around 40 at full load.

I am currently using BIOS 1613. I am wondering on whether a setting I have in the BIOS is the culprit. If you have any suggestions on what I should change, or what your successful settings are, please tell me. I am not wanting to or trying to overclock.

I notice you're running your memory at 1066MHz. Try lowering it to 1:1 with the FSB (it would be 667MHz effective), and set all the other settings to auto. If that fails, try loading the failsafe defaults in the BIOS and using those settings without changing anything yourself (aside from boot order and that sort of thing).

I notice you're running your memory at 1066MHz. Try lowering it to 1:1 with the FSB (it would be 667MHz effective), and set all the other settings to auto. If that fails, try loading the failsafe defaults in the BIOS and using those settings without changing anything yourself (aside from boot order and that sort of thing).

Thanks for the suggestions.

I tried that for awhile, and tried to get it to crash, but it didn't. The problem is so sporadic, though, that there was no guarantee that it was actually solved, only not showing. Also, it was running terribly slow and choking on every action.

I did try loading the failsafe defaults, rebooted, and then changed those that are necessary; it's interesting, because the POST had numerous different items that it usually doesn't. I wonder if I forgot to set it to failsafe after my last BIOS update; it might explain some things.

I'm also starting to suspect the NIC driver, as I've had problems with all but one version of it. That's something for me to figure out, though, if it turns out to be the problem.

If anyone else has any other ideas, feel more than welcome to provide them.

I'm also starting to suspect the NIC driver, as I've had problems with all but one version of it. That's something for me to figure out, though, if it turns out to be the problem.

You could try disabling the onboard NIC in the BIOS, and if the driver is causing the crashes, it won't be loaded and you won't have a problem.

My setup is:
Asus P5Q Pro
MSI GeForce GTX 260

Ai Overclock Tuner Manual
CPU Ratio Setting 08.5
FSB Frequency 333
PCIE Frequency 333 *** Should be 100 to 101***
FSB Strap to North Bridge 333
DRAM Frequency DDR2-1066MHz
DRAM Timing Control Auto (5-5-5-15)
DRAM Static Read Control Disabled
DRAM Read Training Disabled
MEM. OC Charger Disabled ** Enabled after problem is gone**
Ai Clock Twister Light ** Try Moderate**
Ai Transaction Booster Auto **Tweak Later**
CPU Voltage Auto ***1.26v***
VPU GTL Reference Auto
CPU PLL Voltage Auto
FSB Termination Voltage Auto ***1.24v***
DRAM Voltage 2.10 (the memory spec is for 2.0 to 2.10, I've read suggestions to use 2.1)**Try 2.0v**
NB Voltage Auto ** Try 1.28/1.30**
SB Voltage Auto
PCIE SATA Voltage Auto
Load-Line Calibration Auto
CPU Spread Spectrum Auto **Disable**
PCIE Spread Spectrum Auto **Disable**
CPU Clock Skew Auto
NB Clock Skew Auto
CPU Margin Enhancement Optimized
C1E Support Disabled
Virtualization Enabled
Intel CPU TM Function Disabled
Execute Disable Bit Enabled
Memory Remap Feature Enabled (in order to use 4GB)
Memory Hole Disabled
ACPI 2.0 Support Enabled
ACPI APIC support Enabled

I have tried disabling both CPU and PCIE Spread Spectrum, as well as having the DRAM Static Read Control, Read Training, and OC Charger options Enabled. The above is what I've had the most luck with, albeit still unstable.

Thanks,
Erik

PCIE Frequency= 100 to 101, not 333
OK, 3 stars, Try those settings now.
2 stars, try them later, but it is best to NOT run the voltages I changed on Auto.
Once you have it stable you should be able to get transaction booster to 9 or 8.
You can try LLC Enabled for better stability also.
Hope this helps.

Larry

Larry,

With your suggested settings I'm getting hardlocks regularly.

:(

That sucks. Thing is, with quite a few Asus boards, on Auto with voltages they go way higher than they should be. Have you installed CPU-Z yet? If not, google it, get the latest version and see what it says your Vcore is at idle.

Larry

How can I tell what the ratio is that I'm running? Would it be preferable to run 1:1 or 2:3? This is one of the more obscure points of overclocking for me.

How can I tell what the ratio is that I'm running? Would it be preferable to run 1:1 or 2:3? This is one of the more obscure points of overclocking for me.

Go into your BIOS and it should be where your CPU OCing is and here your mem timings are. I here alot to set it to 1:1 when OCing but i am not sure.

It will be in the memory frequency settings. ASUS boards don't actually tell you the ratio any more, they just give you the actual speed that the RAM will be running at. 1:1 is always the lowest speed, while you'll have to use a bit of math to figure out the rest.

It will be in the memory frequency settings. ASUS boards don't actually tell you the ratio any more, they just give you the actual speed that the RAM will be running at. 1:1 is always the lowest speed, while you'll have to use a bit of math to figure out the rest.

Oh man. I hate math. :p j/k

I'm an engineer for crying out loud. I should be able to figure it out, but I'm just to damn lazy.

That sucks. Thing is, with quite a few Asus boards, on Auto with voltages they go way higher than they should be. Have you installed CPU-Z yet? If not, google it, get the latest version and see what it says your Vcore is at idle.

Larry

It turns out that the problem was with BIOS 1613, everyone says it sucks. I've been stable for nearly 24 hours now on BIOS 1501.

Anyone else get blue screens due to the iastor.sys (Intel AHCI) driver in XP?

It turns out that the problem was with BIOS 1613, everyone says it sucks. I've been stable for nearly 24 hours now on BIOS 1501.

The Auto setting will always use a higher voltage than necessary to increase the chance of stability, when the FSB is increased from normal levels. It is not a glitch, and it is the same in every BIOS revision.

What is Intel C-STATE tech under the CPU tab in the BIOS? I can see that option in my manual, but I can't find it in the BIOS. I have the P5Q Pro mobo with BIOS 1406. Did ASUS take that option out for that BIOS rev?

What is Intel C-STATE tech under the CPU tab in the BIOS? I can see that option in my manual, but I can't find it in the BIOS. I have the P5Q Pro mobo with BIOS 1406. Did ASUS take that option out for that BIOS rev?

It is called C1E in the BIOS. It is part of Intel's power-saving technology for their modern CPUs.

I just received the PRO version of this board form the Egg. The Asus box had no factory cellophane or plastic over it at all which meant I could simply just open the box. Upon inspection it looks new (and even smells new) with all the contents (except the user manual and software CD) in sealed plastic bags. However, the motherboard itself is in plastic but not factory sealed, meaning it could easily be a refurb or a return.

Can any of you guys confirm that this is normal to arrive with the box not sealed and the plastic bag the mobo is in unsealed as well?

Back