The Official Newegg Black Friday Thread

If these are the Black Friday specials...I'll be keeping my wallet in my pocket. I don't see much worth owning here and the prices are iffy.

As an example, I bought the eVGA mobo for $40 less back in August.

I was looking for a video card, if anyone see's any out there, speak up. GTX 260/4870 or better.

Best,

Liquid Cool

Got a big part of my xmas done for my fiance:

Keurig B40
K cup stand (which is cheaper then Kohls has it
Keurig Filter
Two 18 packs of Coffee

She has been wanting one. Cheapest I've ever seen the coffee maker thing is $99.99 at Walmart and Newegg. So I said what the hell here goes my I7 920 Cash thats been sitting in my paypal and cross's my fingers that Microcenter keeps running it @ $199.99 for at least till the new year for me to recoup from xmas and be able to buy it.

Oh yea and getting $12 back from Bing. :D
Total $46 savings. The filter and coffee added the shipping. I probably could have picked those up locally, but then would have paid full price more then likely so it washes out.

Last edited:
just grabbed the 640gb WD drive.... by the looks of it i wont be touching another seagate for a while.... so sad...

Just totally disappointing and underwhelming to me.

The only thing on my list that they've got are the GPS units, and I'm having to direct a friend to those (because actually, it's on their Christmas list, to give away).

I suppose the HDDs and the SSD are good deals, but since I'm still just scratching the drives in my rig after a year, it's hard to justify popping for another of the 7200.11s (and OP, there aren't any problems I've seen with them post the Firmware update, not that I had problems pre-update; these should all have the latest Firmware by now).

Now, if they had had a huge bargain for the Athlon II X4 620 or 630, or had had last year's pricing on DDR2.....

just grabbed the 640gb WD drive.... by the looks of it i wont be touching another seagate for a while.... so sad...

Just totally disappointing and underwhelming to me.

The only thing on my list that they've got are the GPS units, and I'm having to direct a friend to those (because actually, it's on their Christmas list, to give away).

I suppose the HDDs and the SSD are good deals, but since I'm still just scratching the drives in my rig after a year, it's hard to justify popping for another of the 7200.11s (and OP, there aren't any problems I've seen with them post the Firmware update, not that I had problems pre-update; these should all have the latest Firmware by now).

Now, if they had had a huge bargain for the Athlon II X4 620 or 630, or had had last year's pricing on DDR2.....

Whats with the hating on Seagate? I know the early 1TB drives were failing like ass, but whats the deal with them now?

Anyone have any input on the Cyberpower system that's for sale? It's not for me but I'm looking to upgrade someone's super old gaming system for as cheap as possible and this price looks decent.

Anyone have any input on the Cyberpower system that's for sale? It's not for me but I'm looking to upgrade someone's super old gaming system for as cheap as possible and this price looks decent.

It's made by Cyberpower. So it's of pretty low quality in terms of construction and stability. I would not inflict this kind of shit on another person. Well maybe if they're an idiot or something...

It's made by Cyberpower. So it's of pretty low quality in terms of construction and stability. I would not inflict this kind of shit on another person. Well maybe if they're an idiot or something...

And that answers that question, thanks. Guess I could just buy some components and let them fill in the rest.

Whats with the hating on Seagate? I know the early 1TB drives were failing like ass, but whats the deal with them now?

Just reputation now. When the 7200.11 series drives came out, some of them (*NOT ALL*) had issues with the drive basically going into a hibernation routine at random; it would stop, hibernate, then restart, which caused very poor performance at times. For some, it was debilitating based on their usage patterns, others who had the problem rarely noticed, and for some, the problem just didn't happen at all in their rigs.

Eventually, Seagate figured it out (they thought) and issued a firmware update; first didn't work, second did, and these drives would have had to be manufactured with the second fix to still be around at this point (Seagate has moved to the 7200.12 6 months or so back, which never had the issue). My main rig, two of my drives are of the vulnerable drives (this exact drive); I've NEVER had a lick of issue with either of them, though I updated them to the "Good" firmware shortly after building the system (I had the vulnerable firmware when they were new in box, upgraded about two weeks after building the rig in my sig with them). I picked both up with the Ebay Cashback through Bing last year for $129 (regular price was in the $190 range at the time) after all was said and done, and they are wicked fast, very large, and no issues for me. I am (just slightly) thinking about going ahead and picking up a third so that I can RAID 5 them.

Last edited:

I had the 1.5TB 7200.11 which I happily sold all 6 of them because my RAID 6 array kept failing with them . They kept randomly freezing which caused the array to fail and trigger a rebuild.

It is a little irrational but it'll be a long time till I buy anything with the name seagate again.

The more I stare at this list, the LESS impressed with it I am; NewEgg didn't even try this year. Last year, for BF, I picked up an Antec 900 for $49 with free shipping (and so did my BIL). I picked up the Logitech Cordless Wave Keyboard/Mouse four weeks ago from Office Depot BM for $39.99. The TV tuner card (one of the things I would have been interested in) was $49 just two months ago, at NewEgg.

The ONLY deals I really see that are all that (and only marginally so) are the GPSes and MAYBE the SSD. Everything else is either "eh" or "and what bumpkin patch do you think I just fell out of" this year.

My wallet is staying in the pocket this year, which is disappointing. I was thinking of putting an HTPC and new HDTV together.

Going by the reviews on the hard drives that i wanted to buy from both newegg and best buy, people say they drop like flies.

I liked the newegg sale....

I picked up a gateway netbook for $199.99 (3 hr battery life)
2 1920x1080 monitors with DVI for $119.99 ea free shipping
640G Wd laptop hard drive for $89.99 (for my netbook)
2 motorola F3 phones for $19.99 ea for mom & dad (their first cellphone!)

They want it just to sms since my mom is deaf. Should work fine for that I imagine.

How is the IBuyPower gamer extreme at $799.99? It has the I7 860 and a GTS 250. What are their prebuilts like?

Last edited:
The Pavilion notebook seems like a pretty good deal--decent midlevel gaming capability and only $585 with Bing CB.

Just reputation now. When the 7200.11 series drives came out, some of them (*NOT ALL*) had issues with the drive basically going into a hibernation routine at random; it would stop, hibernate, then restart, which caused very poor performance at times. For some, it was debilitating based on their usage patterns, others who had the problem rarely noticed, and for some, the problem just didn't happen at all in their rigs.

Eventually, Seagate figured it out (they thought) and issued a firmware update

What killed Seagate for me was them telling people that had issues that were running Linux that they don't support Linux... problem solved for Seagate...

And then telling people who were using them in Windows that they don't support the drives in any RAID config, although their product page said they were intended for RAID...

So long, Seagate!

Aw, crap! The WD 640GB Black hd is out of stock! Any chance of it getting restocked at that price?

I buy a lot of hard drives and maintain quite a few systems for small offices and homes of many friends and family. The .11 Seagate drives in general have been problematic for me. Three drive failures all within months of the drives being new, all .11 series drives of varying capacities. One of them I even did the firmware update on, which didn't help matters at all. Older Seagate drives are still chugging along just fine. Three failures within one year, all Seagate .11 drives is what made me stop buying them. Hitachi's, WD's, and Samsung's all purchased in the same basic time frame are still chugging along just fine as well. I just don't look kindly upon that type of failure rate, and their customer service was even worse. They are a huge pain to deal with, even if you shell out extra dollars for the advanced RMA.

i picked up the phenom 955 combo deal. with the 55 dollars off, 10 dollar mail in, and 10% cash back, that brought it down to 197. seems like a damn fine deal to me.

I'm really tempted to jump on 4 of the 2TB Barracuda LPs since the price is really getting close to where cheap 1.5TB drives are, but there are just so many reviews leading me to believe they've got a really high failure rate. Anyone got any insight? I've had 4 7200.10 320GBs in RAID 5 going for 3 years now, and only just now have had one fail... maybe I should take this over to DSS before I derail too much.

i picked up the phenom 955 combo deal. with the 55 dollars off, 10 dollar mail in, and 10% cash back, that brought it down to 197. seems like a damn fine deal to me.

I would be all over this if it was the C3 revision, but it isn't :(

I just got my 16gb ZuneHD for $198. Not a black friday deal, but it is on sale right now. Free shipping too.

I'm building a whole new system, bought these last night:

MSI P55 board (CD53)
8gb of Corsair Dominator
another CM690

Debating on what I want for a processor, whether I just want to pick up a i5 from microcenter, order a Xeon X3430 from Ewiz, or order a X3440 from Newegg.

Nothing was a special deal, just took advantage of the 10% CB.

The only thing on the list I would have bought is the 640, and it's already gone. I've been waiting for Black Friday to get some more memory and a video card, and there aren't any worth getting, and the memory I got was cheaper a couple months ago than it is on Black Friday. I guess I'll save my money until the prices drop, or I get a new game that forces me to get a new video card.

The only thing on the list I would have bought is the 640, and it's already gone. I've been waiting for Black Friday to get some more memory and a video card, and there aren't any worth getting, and the memory I got was cheaper a couple months ago than it is on Black Friday. I guess I'll save my money until the prices drop, or I get a new game that forces me to get a new video card.

640GB is still in stock. I just ordered another one for a spare box few minutes ago.

Edit: I just hit refresh... and now it says sold out.

So, what do you all think are the chances of the WD 640 coming back in stock with that pricing on Friday or something?

I don't know how a fairly solid P45 motherboard for $50 is not a great deal, even after a $20 rebate....

Man nothing on there really exciting, maybe the SSD's. Most of it looks like meh deals on crap they have overstock on. Yay Newegg! :rolleyes: Thanks OP for the effort.

I don't know how a fairly solid P45 motherboard for $50 is not a great deal, even after a $20 rebate....

Well because if you don't have a Intel CPU and DDR2 RAM already on hand, whatever savings you get from the mobo is a bit of a waste. Just to get to get close to the performance of a $61 AMD X2 240 CPU with an Intel CPU, you'd have to buy at least the E7400 or E7500 at ~$120. In addition, there's also the issue of how expensive DDR2 RAM is nowadays. In fact some of them are more costlier than many DDR3 RAM.

So once you factor in the whole platform as a whole and assuming that you need a new CPU and RAM, that fairly solid $50 AR P45 mobo isn't really that good of a deal. And then there's the name of the company: ECS. While I'm fairly sure that ECS' past handiwork isn't present in that mobo, many people still have that aversion to anything ECS for anything mid or high end.

Well because if you don't have a Intel CPU and DDR2 RAM already on hand, whatever savings you get from the mobo is a bit of a waste. Just to get to get close to the performance of a $61 AMD X2 240 CPU with an Intel CPU, you'd have to buy at least the E7400 or E7500 at ~$120. In addition, there's also the issue of how expensive DDR2 RAM is nowadays. In fact some of them are more costlier than many DDR3 RAM.

So once you factor in the whole platform as a whole and assuming that you need a new CPU and RAM, that fairly solid $50 AR P45 mobo isn't really that good of a deal. And then there's the name of the company: ECS. While I'm fairly sure that ECS' past handiwork isn't present in that mobo, many people still have that aversion to anything ECS for anything mid or high end.

The P45 was MSI. Great board.

Hmm, WD 750 black for 54 with bing cashback. This one is slower than the 640, right?

I wish that netbook was cheaper than 260. I missed the gateway one for 180 after bing. Now the acer aspire one is going to be 170 after bing. Then there is that barebones one that just needs ram and a hard drive for 180 after bing plus 50 MIR.

Back