The Official HP w2207/w2007 Thread

I did not pick up the refurb'ed w2207 because I did not know if they're any good. People returned them usually for valid reasons; maybe dead pixels......

I just saw from Futureshop website that they have refurb units again for $269. Are they refurbished by the manufacturer? If so, they should be fine, right?

I bought the refd w2207 one week ago and it had a big problem changing colors itself and blurry display, I retourned back right away, today I went again to give another chance to the refurbished unit, my first surprise was the price, it drop to $249.99 even if the page web of FutureShop says $269.99., one time at home, I plugged it and bang!, beautiful, no dead pixels, minimum backlight bleeding, it's a LG panel, the display colors are different comparing to my Innolux(Foxcomm version)panel using the same setup, just playing a little now both looks almost the same. I have an Nvidia GeForce 8600 GTS overclocked and I tested the Witcher demo game, superb!

Paco

Newbe here. Thanks for the forumn.

I couldn't help but notice how many asked for someone to display\post their settings after calibrating and one guy does and it stops!:rolleyes:

Did anyone try them and if so what were the results.

I just ordered a refurb from HP and who knows what I will get. You got some guys here saying the Samsung panel is better and some (one) saying the other. Who know swhat the reviews were written using what panel that gave this a thumbs up in almost all cases.

So what about those calibrations? I have a Panasonic AE900 that someone used their expensive calibration equipment and saved a lot of us time and grief.

Thanks
Dave;)

Newbe here. Thanks for the forumn.

I couldn't help but notice how many asked for someone to display\post their settings after calibrating and one guy does and it stops!:rolleyes:

Did anyone try them and if so what were the results.

I just ordered a refurb from HP and who knows what I will get. You got some guys here saying the Samsung panel is better and some (one) saying the other. Who know swhat the reviews were written using what panel that gave this a thumbs up in almost all cases.

So what about those calibrations? I have a Panasonic AE900 that someone used their expensive calibration equipment and saved a lot of us time and grief.

Thanks
Dave;)

Initially the w2207 was only available with a Samsung panel. It stands to reason that any reviews that were done following the product launch were done with a Samsung-based w2207. The Samsung is a better panel, but if you like what you get then don't even bother looking for the panel ID.

As far as calibrations go: the reason no one is giving anyone else a straight answer is because monitor calibration is subjective. My w2207 is set to default on everything, but I used the Nvidia display optimization wizard to get it where I want it. Like others have said, its entirely subjective and no two monitors will look alike with the same settings.

Hey your alright. Thanks for the quick reply. But I can't remember what pages it was posted it but calibration used by one can be used as ball park setting for someone else less inclined to setting up ones own display properly.

I will probably use Dave Kanes DVD setup disk or another I've got to set up home theater set this up. I did download the one color setting here and will see how it works out. Geezh, I have to go back through this whole thread and paste together the post I saw on calibrating and such.

Really appreciate your work in doing this. My HP W2207 is waiting for me and I hope (pray) it has no dead pixels or Hp is getting it back and I'll try another.
$290 total still seemed like a lot to me. Guys on Ebay selling them for perhaps $20 or less, but returns concerned me. Craigslist was a crap shoot.

And so it goes. Hope my wife appreciates this.:p

Thanks
Dave

Hi all,

I've just got myself a hpw2207h and I am pleased with the monitor. Im using it with a DVI to HDMI lead linked to my 8800 gts 512. Something I noticed straight away was that i have the option for 1920x1080, which is rather puzzling as it states that the max res is 1680x1050. I have tried this setting and it works just fine, even in games (such as TF2) but it comes in under the 16:9 ratio as a resolution choice. I was wondering if anyone could shed some light onto the situation? As i cant seem to dig any up from the web. :confused:

Hi all,

I've just got myself a hpw2207h and I am pleased with the monitor. Im using it with a DVI to HDMI lead linked to my 8800 gts 512. Something I noticed straight away was that i have the option for 1920x1080, which is rather puzzling as it states that the max res is 1680x1050. I have tried this setting and it works just fine, even in games (such as TF2) but it comes in under the 16:9 ratio as a resolution choice. I was wondering if anyone could shed some light onto the situation? As i cant seem to dig any up from the web. :confused:

Good that you like your new monitor.

Question: Is it a LG or Innolux panel?

Good that you like your new monitor.

Question: Is it a LG or Innolux panel?

In the service menu i get the following

GTMH3.7

LM220WE1-TLB

So I figure an LG? Anyway back to my question, :p whats going on with me having the 1920x1080 display options in windows and in game?

My guess would be the monitor is scaling 16:9 by cropping portions of the screen, though I can't confirm this as I have a w2207.

Got my REFURBISHED HP W2207 monitor and discovered a RED stuck pixel right in the middle of the screen. Talk about annoying but as you may know, HP's policy is you can have five! But I could also return it up to 14 days for a refund. Was just about to so.

So I tried the method described http://www.wikihow.com/Fix-a-Stuck-Pixel-on-an-LCD-Monitor
and "whew" it worked. I got a Samsung panel and it is incredible. I used spider2express.icm I got somewhere on this forum and in conjunction used color wizard 3deep. Looking good so far

I can't find where anyone can get color wizard 3deep anymore and in actuality, all it really did was help adjust the tilt which is important. The calibrations were pretty much right on with the Spider2express.icm.

If you think a LCD should be pointed squarely at you, its not.
I'm thinking about getting another now to replace my IBM 21" thinkvision. 4x3 just doesn't cut it. Plus that 2207 is dog gone gorgeous!:D

Hope this helps someone else out.:p

Dave

The difference on stuck versus dead, mine was a stuck red pixel. I used a stylus from my SONY camcorder I use to tap on its screen. Placed a micro fiber cloth over it and when the monitor was booting, I pressed really harder then I wanted to but then the red pixel flickered and then went out.

So it was the pressure method. I tried those programs that change cycles real fast but no go.

Didn't scratch or marr. whew. lucky me

Still interested in those calibrations experiences anyone might have.

Dave

The difference on stuck versus dead, mine was a stuck red pixel. I used a stylus from my SONY camcorder I use to tap on its screen. Placed a micro fiber cloth over it and when the monitor was booting, I pressed really harder then I wanted to but then the red pixel flickered and then went out.

So it was the pressure method. I tried those programs that change cycles real fast but no go.

Didn't scratch or marr. whew. lucky me

Still interested in those calibrations experiences anyone might have.

Dave

Yea, I've tried that on a stuck pixel--several actually. Well, I'm glad it worked for you and now you've got yourself a flawless Samsung based w2207. Its sure to make all the girls jealous! Well, maybe not, but probably one or two people in this thread.

As far as the calibration goes: again, if you have an Nvidia based graphics card I recommend running the Monitor Calibration Wizard.

XP w/Nvidia Drivers:

1. Right-click desktop > Properties
2. Click the 'Settings' tab
3. Click the 'Advanced' button
4. Click the tab with your video card model
5. Click 'Start the NVIDIA Control Panel'
6. On the new window (in the 'Display' tree): Run display optimization wizard
7. Finish the wizard and you're "done."

You can also right-click the NVIDIA icon in your system tray, if its there, and open the NVIDIA control panel from there. This will take you directly to step 6.

That's the quick and dirty way to do it. Obviously if you know someone with a Spyder, then that would be the best way...

Quote of the chart I've been working on for those who can't find it:

HP w2007:

Code:
REV.            Panel Code         Brand of Panel
PTG001          PTGM25             ????
ATG001          ATGM24             ????

HP w2207:

Code:
REV.            Panel Code          Brand of Panel
STM001          LTM220M1-L01        Samsung
GTM001          LM220WE1-TLB        LG
GTMV1.6         LM220WE1-TLB1       LG
ITM001          MT220WW01-V1        Innolux
ITM002          ????????????        Innolux?

HP w2207h:

Code:
Rev.            Panel Code          Brand of Panel
ATM002          LM220EW01-V2        Innolux
GTM001          LM220WE1-TLB        LG
GTM002          LM220WE1-TLB        LG

How to find your panel code:

1. Turn off your monitor.
2. Press and hold the 'menu' button.
3. Turn the monitor back on.
4. Release the menu button.
5. Press the menu button again.
6. A "Service..." option will appear.
7. Select it and it will display the Panel's model number at the bottom.
8. Post your findings here, if you'd like.

As far as the calibration goes: again, if you have an Nvidia based graphics card I recommend running the Monitor Calibration Wizard.

XP w/Nvidia Drivers:

1. Right-click desktop > Properties
2. Click the 'Settings' tab
3. Click the 'Advanced' button
4. Click the tab with your video card model
5. Click 'Start the NVIDIA Control Panel'
6. On the new window (in the 'Display' tree): Run display optimization wizard
7. Finish the wizard and you're "done."

You can also right-click the NVIDIA icon in your system tray, if its there, and open the NVIDIA control panel from there. This will take you directly to step 6.

That's the quick and dirty way to do it. Obviously if you know someone with a Spyder, then that would be the best way...

:mad:

ARGGgggg, my little red pixel friend came back. I have since eradicated again him but is this pesky little vermin going to haunt me? Time will tell.

On calibration. Using the Nvidia tune up, I find I don't even see the two gray bars its talking about no matter how bright I might set my contrast or brightness.

Again using the spider2express.icm located on this site, I find that after using 3deep, I get a very pleasant display

3deep is older LCD calibration file and if could figure how, I'd post it here.
It works a lot like Nvidia color tune up.

Except it has a tilt calibration.

Dave

Still a beautiful monitor.:D

:mad:

ARGGgggg, my little red pixel friend came back. I have since eradicated again him but is this pesky little vermin going to haunt me? Time will tell.

That's what I meant when I said it had never worked for me, but I was hoping you'd have better luck. I didn't want to rain on your parade. :eek:

My guess would be Innolux or LG panels, but I don't know for sure. Nice price, but I don't recommend buying monitors from e-tailers. Pixel problems are too common, their return policy for pixel defects is dicey, and you have to pay shipping to return it.

If you buy it locally you might pay more, but if you have a problem you save a lot of money/time in the long-run.

I just bought a w2207h from BestBuy (Montreal) for $299. The label info:

Rev: GTM003
Manu date: Jan, 2008
Made in China.

Is this a LG panel? Since I live in Toronto, I will not open it until next week. Also, I have to buy a DVI-HDMI cable first.

I used "Dead Pixel Buddy" and I found no dead pixel in my new monitor. Overall, the color is great. I compared this monitor to a 225bw side-by-side and I found this w2207h was superior in many ways.

I followed these instructions but failed to get the Service Menu, all I got was the status of the monitor.

Just picked up a 2207h from BB.

Build date is 4th week of Jan. 08
ITMH3.7
MT220WW01-V1

Looks like its an Innolux. I'm happy with it, it looks great. Far better than a 2 year old Samsung 19 in. I had before. It looks much better at home than it did in the store. No backlight bleed at all. Maybe I just got lucky but the Innolux panel is quite nice.

Having researched several monitors, I ordered a w2207h which was delivered on Friday. The glossy finish and deep blacks make photos look great.

Now the problem! On a black screen, particularly with the lights off, there are 8 or more little white dots - single pixels. Running dead pixel buddy, these are only apparent on a black screen. If they were hot pixels, I thought that they would be visible on all screens. However, when I switch back to my old, dependable Samsung 172X (great screen, if a little old!), there are no dots.

Have any of you guys who bought a w2207h got the same problem, or am I unlucky? I'm about to RMA, but wondered whether they are all like it before requesting a replacement.

My first w2207 had around 50 or more stuck pixels (Only visible on black backgrounds), and that was my first LCD ever, talk about bad luck. I exchanged it for another one which had 0 dead/stuck pixels but worse backlight bleeding, which I kept since it was the last one with a Samsung panel and the fact the backlight bleeding doesn't bother me at all.

I was a bit disappointed though that after all these years, LCDs still haven't matured well enough to get over those problems which has been on for years. Now I hope that this monitor holds me on until OLED becomes more mainstream.

Did anyone install the "My Display", the HP software which came with the w2207h?

I installed it but the "Adjust" and "Color" tabs at the top are greyed out. Northing happened when I clicked on it...

Hecktec - thanks for the reply. Makes me feel a bit better. Like yours, mine has zero backlight bleed.

mis3 - sorry, I didn't get as far as installing the software. Hope someone else can help.

I followed these instructions but failed to get the Service Menu, all I got was the status of the monitor.

Can someone please help me with this?

I tried and tried but still cannot reach the Service Menu....

Not sure what kind of pictures I can take. I folllowed the instructions and there was no Service Menu.

All I saw was the status display which tells me that the HDMI port is active but not the VGA. This is the regular status display everytime I turn on the monitor.

Not sure what kind of pictures I can take. I folllowed the instructions and there was no Service Menu.

All I saw was the status display which tells me that the HDMI port is active but not the VGA. This is the regular status display everytime I turn on the monitor.

Well, you could take a picture of your menu so I can compare to my menu? Eh, eh? ;)

I do not see any menu.

I followed this procedure many times and all I see was the Monitor Status display. Does this procedure apply to w2207h?

I do not see any menu.

I followed this procedure many times and all I see was the Monitor Status display. Does this procedure apply to w2207h?

So what happens when you hit the 'menu' button? :rolleyes:

Does it look anything like this? I'm doing my best to help you here, but you've got to work with me.

w2207_menu.jpg

I finally got the Service Menu. The problem was I pressed the menu button too fast after I turned it on.

From the label on the box:
Made in China.

For the service menu:
GTMH3,7
LM220WE1-TLB

Now it is confirmed that I have a LG panel...... Thanks.

I finally got the Service Menu. The problem was I pressed the menu button too fast after I turned it on.

From the label on the box:
Made in China.

For the service menu:
GTMH3,7
LM220WE1-TLB

Now it is confirmed that I have a LG panel...... Thanks.

I'll be sure to add that to the procedure. "Don't click the button too fuckin' fast!" :p

Fellow w2207 owners, can you force 75Hz in Vista with FW 174.74 and the original HP monitor INF?

I need to run 16:10 resolutions like 1280x800 or 1152x720 @ 75Hz in games, with vsync enabled. Can anyone do this? The only 3 resolutions my OS is detecting and uses with 75Hz are all 4:3 (800, 1024 and 1280).

I managed to use the NVCPL to define custom resolutions (1280x800 for example) with 75Hz but they only work in 2D (desktop mode). As soon as i start a game using the same resolution, it switches back to 60Hz.

All tools which worked in XP don't work in Vista (refreshlock, reforce, rivatuner, powerstrip).
I have a G92 (8800GT 512), Vista x64 SP1, Forceware 174.74, HP w2207 GMTV 1.6 panel (LG).

Thanks in advance!
=======================
As a matter of fact, there is another issue with my w2207, it sometimes flickers and turns off for 2-3 seconds when i have a very bright background. After 2-3 seconds it turns back on as if nothing happened....anyone seen this?

I am think of buy a hp w2007 or w2207 but I am not sure which is better? Do you guys have any suggestion? I mainly use computer for school HW and games.

I am think of buy a hp w2007 or w2207 but I am not sure which is better? Do you guys have any suggestion? I mainly use computer for school HW and games.

The w2207 is bigger, so I guess it depends on what you want. They're both the same resolution: 1680x1050.

so, the feature of those monitor are same? I can use w2007 monitor as the display for my xbox 360 or ps3?

I think the w2207 has better pixel mapping. If you want to hook it up to an xbox, the 2207 would probably be better.

I got a w2207 today. It is a huge difference between my old sony 17" monitor. I was wondering how to get the usb port to work?

I got a w2207 today. It is a huge difference between my old sony 17" monitor. I was wondering how to get the usb port to work?

Plug the included USB cable into the bottom of the monitor, and the other end into your computer. :confused:

Back