The Official HP w2207/w2007 Thread

Does anyone have a 360 and this monitor (either version) ? I would kill just for a picture of how it looks :p or atleast a detailed description, because I am very interested in this monitor, and will be mainly using it with my 360. This is also the reason why I joined the forum, but I will try to contribute after this:p

O for my contribution, here are some pretty awesome widescreen wallpapers for your monitors, just click on one of them, choose the right resolution and download, I am using them on my little monitor but still look awesome:

gallery 1
gallery 2
gallery 3
gallery 4
gallery 5
gallery 6
All credit goes to "ether", the artist of these wallpapers.

Does anyone have a 360 and this monitor (either version) ? I would kill just for a picture of how it looks :p or atleast a detailed description, because I am very interested in this monitor, and will be mainly using it with my 360. This is also the reason why I joined the forum, but I will try to contribute after this:p

I have a 360 and this monitor. However I cannot take pictures right now as the same day I purchased this monitor my 360 went belly up.

I haven't had a lot of chance to play with the different resolutions but it does not look like this monitor supports 1:1 pixel mapping. It will stretch the image to fit the screen. Thankfully they give you two options on the OSD.

One is Fill to Screen which fills the screen with the current resolution regardless of aspect ratio.

Fill to Aspect Ratio fills the screen with the current resolution but maintains aspect ratio.

In both cases with the limited time I had to play with it the graphics look awesome but the text is a little blurry. Still completely readable.

Maybe someone who has had this monitor longer then a day with a working 360 can chime in with what monitor/resolution settings they are using.

Text should look crystal clear, at least as I can obtain it on my monitor. And yes, it does 1:1 in 1680x1050, but I don't know of other resolutions since I don't use them. Many people will use lower resolutions for web browsing because the characters are too small for them. What they don't know is that FireFox will do any degree of magnifying as far as text is concerned. This monitor is absolutely awsome but, as I've iterated many times, it's not for your absolute regular user in that it has to be played with to obtain the optimal adjustments for each individual's eyes.

Text should look crystal clear, at least as I can obtain it on my monitor. And yes, it does 1:1 in 1680x1050, but I don't know of other resolutions since I don't use them. Many people will use lower resolutions for web browsing because the characters are too small for them. What they don't know is that FireFox will do any degree of magnifying as far as text is concerned. This monitor is absolutely awsome but, as I've iterated many times, it's not for your absolute regular user in that it has to be played with to obtain the optimal adjustments for each individual's eyes.

I was referring to the text displayed on the Xbox 360 since it does not support the 1680x1050 you must use a lower resolution. The graphics look great but the text is slightly stretched. It is most noticeable on the Xbox 360 dashboard rather then in game.

The text on the PC is marvelous it is crisp and sharp. I have no issues with it. I do have a minimal amount of backlight bleeding but it is so very minor it is not noticeable. I have noticed that things displayed on the top half of the monitor are *slightly* darker then the bottom. However it is not noticeable and you have to really look for it.

so I cannot pronounce myself about your problem. Mine too has backlight bleeding but it's minimal just like yours. As far as color fade on the bottom, remember, it's a TN panel so it will have this problem. However, as you said, it's not too bothersome and I totally agree. To improve on the situation I fiddled with the tilt of the panel combined with its height from the tabletop. True, ISP panels' colors are better and they don't fade anywhere, but then they cost 3-4 times as much. I think colors on the w2207 are awesome and I can more than satisfactorily deal with the slight fade. Problems may ensue when one edits color photos and movies because you have to make sure that the colors of the printout won't be trumped by the colors on the screen. This is a complicated operation and one has to engage some good calibrators to correct the discrepancies.

Thank you Needo! I am currently trying to decide which 22" I will get,(this HP, Samsung 223BW, or the LG L226WA). Right now I am am leaning to HP but it's so difficult, for each monitor people say it is an amazing monitor but others have complaints. :confused:

Hey people, got the W2207 two weeks ago.

I have one issue right now that I want to correct, if possible. I want the monitor itself to scale to aspect ratio for a 16:9 image. It will only do this for 4:3 and 5:4 resolutions. Nvidia card will do it but NOT the monitor itself. I've made sure in Nvidia control panel that it is letting the monitor do the scaling, and I selected fill to aspect ratio on the OSD. For all 16:9 resolutions it just stretches to fill the whole screen which looks nasty. Yes, this is in case I want to hook up a PS3 or 360 to the thing.

Using Vista Home Premium, DVI cable, latest driver for monitor, latest non-beta drivers - 7600gt.

Just curious...why did you return the 2207s?

The back light bleed was too much for me. I've gotten use to having none with the LG L203WT I have. The LG246W I got has none. It does have a slightly darker tint to the right side of the screen, but if you move away or turn the right side it goes away. It must be some anti glare phenomenon. It's the second one I've tried and they both did the same thing. I can't get anyone here to confirm though if their's does it.

Hi, Im new here and actually learned a lot about LCD's in the past 2 weeks because of this forum. I have a question about a purchase and didn't want to start a new thread for it since it works with this thread's topic.

I want a wide screen 20.1 inch gaming LCD for my soon to be new DX10 computer that I hope to have built by September. I particularly like the glossy screens (My Toshiba Satellite P105-S9312 has a glossy screen and I love it and it is also a true 8-bit screen).

Well the dilemma is I plan to buy Crysis and I want it to not only play the best it can but look the best it can so hence the Question: NEC 20WMGX2 or HP W2007. (I was thinking also 2007WFP but I don't want to play the lottery and it doesn't have the glossy screen)

I don't need bells and whistles i.e. USB, PIP etc.. so thats not the issue the issue is the W2007 isn't an 8-bit panel so will I notice the difference playing Crysis on the HP vs. the NEC or would I only notice the difference if i was working with photos and graphic editing?

If I won't be able to see a difference while playing games I am not going to spend an extra $290 for the NEC as much as I would like to have an 8-bit AS-IPS panel I just can't justify it.

Sorry for the long explanation. NEC 20WMGX2 or HP W2007 for gaming?

i can't say if u will ntoice a difference or not. but the HP is 6+2bit. this means it's a 6 bit panel, with dithering, so it will perform a bit better with colours than the other TN panels without dithering. but i am cannot comment how a true 8bit compares to a 6+2.

but from what i have read is the NEC is in a league of it's own compared to TN panels, though the HP was not in that round up

The NEC monitor is one of the best for gaming; it has pretty much the fasted response time any any consumer LCD (in this size range) on the market. I guess i'm partial to it because i'm getting one soon for a new system, but it doesn't change the fact that it's still really good.

Thanks, for your help. I looked up dithering and it seems to be pretty effective. I would imagine playing games at 60+ frames per second I wouldn't notice the difference.

It would be nice to have some comparison screen shots of the two 8bit and 6+2bit side by side.

Thanks for you help. I'm thinking of just going with the HP. It seems to be pretty decent considering its specs and price other then it not being true 8bit panel. I was curious if anyone who bought the HP W2007 who owned or does still own an 8bit panel is disappointed or not.

I haven’t posted in a while, but thought I’d jump in and add a few comments.

It’s not my intent to sell anyone a w2207, but I am still very confident that I made the best purchase when I bought mine. I base this on my needs for a monitor, which were (at the time I began shopping for a new monitor) that is had to be a 22” widescreen, which essentially meant it was going to be a TN, 6+2 bit color dithering panel. Sure I might have purchased a 24” or larger widescreen, but I would have shelled out approximately twice the price for a mere 2 more diagonal inches (and it would be an 8-bit panel). So yes, price was also a factor. And it had to perform exceptional in its class.

I’ve had my monitor for about a month now. It is in use every day. I use it for school, work, gaming (only WoW at the moment), and some web page work. I gotta say, this monitor has never disappointed me.

The discussions about fading colors across the panel, unbearable backlight bleed, and such has simply not been an issue with me. Maybe it’s because I’m one of the extremely fortunate ones and got a panel with no flaws? Maybe it’s because I have my monitor positioned in a perfect viewing location? Maybe it’s because I don’t have a ‘wobbly’ stand? Or maybe it’s because I simply don’t notice any flaws? I don’t know. What I am trying to say is that this monitor has exceeded my expectations based upon some other reviews.
Is the monitor perfect? Nah! I suppose I could nit-pick a few things about it. But then, does the ‘perfect’ monitor exist? Not hardly. Not at any price.

So, I decided to keep it all in perspective and simply look at 22” widescreens around the $300 (I think I ended up paying around $330 for my w2207), and I am confident that for the money, I own the best “22 wide there is for the price.

What makes it such a great monitor? Essentially every positive thing that has already been reported about it: vibrant colors, excellent refresh speeds (for gaming), crisp images, excellent stand, marginal (not noticeable during use) backlight bleed, etc. It performs every aspect I require in a monitor very well! What about videos? Well, I’ve tried them on the monitor and I will say that they look much better on my 44” LCD television, so I watch all my movies there. And since I don’t own a 360, it’ll never be used for that either.

So to wrap up, everything I was expecting from this monitor has been very, very good. I have no regrets whatsoever.

I'll second you on this one, except that movies look astonishingly well on my w2207. Colors are excellent, dark scenes too and contours, from about 4 feet away ditto. I say 4 feet because the DVDs are not HD.

Sizer:

1. 22" monitors are of 16:10 and not 16:9 aspect ratio.
2. You're given a chance to configure aspect ratio and full screen if you go into the monitor's Menu and form there to the Image Control/Custom Scaling submenu. There you're given 2 choices: Fill to Screen and Fill to Aspect Ratio.

It pays to print out the Manual ;)

Thanks Sylva.

Let me briefly clarify the video comment - I'm not knocking the monitor's ability to play movies (video) very well (it does), its just that I prefer to watch DVD's and such on my big-screen TV with surround-sound, and in the comfort of my sofa, feet kicked up, etc....

Marty

Hello to all
δm looking for a new monitor to replace my 19" and this caught my attention.
But since i´m a gamer i would like if possible for someone to tell me who it works with games on the native resolution and if the decrease in IQ if we choose other resolutions, por ex 1440X900 or 1280x720, is very big.
Many thanks

Hello to all
δm looking for a new monitor to replace my 19" and this caught my attention.
But since i´m a gamer i would like if possible for someone to tell me who it works with games on the native resolution and if the decrease in IQ if we choose other resolutions, por ex 1440X900 or 1280x720, is very big.
Many thanks

Since the display doesn't allow you to use 1:1 pixel mapping (right?), any resolution other than its native isn't going to look to good; the same goes for most monitors like this.

I just picked this monitor up from Futureshop and I LOVE it. I went up from a 17" CRT, wow I am amazed. I did not have an HDTV for my 360 either so it is double HD goodness for me. I have 0 dead pixel so far and only very minimal backlight bleed. The colours are amazing, I could stare at my hd wallpaper for hours!

If anyone wants pictures I'll post them.

I have one complaint though. After installing the update for My Display, whenever I click on the menu button at the bottom of the screen, I will see the menu for 2 seconds and then it disappears again. Is it because of the update or is something wrong? It didn't do this before I downloaded the update.

Alright my cam is at my friend's place, once I've picked it up I'll take some pictures. I can't promise great pictures as my cam is pretty old but I hope it'll do :)

They will do fine.
Thanks mate ;)

These pictures don't even come close to how awesome it looks but hey you asked for them:p Pretty much every picture is a little blurry, and the real colours looks so much better. It's quite an amazing monitor, I love it!

Here is the Gallery

If you want pictures of anything else, like pc games or something tell me:p

Marty: AGREED :)

Mansize: I don't know how the monitor behaves during gaming and non-native resolutions, however it does pretty well with aspect ratio correction when displaying movies, both 4:3:5 and 16:10. With 4:3:5 I get an absolutely full screen with perfect proportions. With 16:10 proportions are perfect except that there's too much loss of screen real estate (20% +) because of the horizontal black bands flanking the image. I didn't find any way (yet that is) to circumvent this or at least reduce the surface area of the black bands.

Thank you for the pictures, NL Spyker. This thing better be released in the UK before the end of the month, if not i'll just have to get the NEC 20WGX2; i'm a sucker for glossy screens. :p

These pictures don't even come close to how awesome it looks but hey you asked for them:p Pretty much every picture is a little blurry, and the real colours looks so much better. It's quite an amazing monitor, I love it!

Here is the Gallery

If you want pictures of anything else, like pc games or something tell me:p

Those pictures look good. What settings are you using on your 360? Resolution, etc. Also do you have the monitor set to Fill to Screen or Fill to Aspect Ratio?

Thanks!

Those pictures look good. What settings are you using on your 360? Resolution, etc. Also do you have the monitor set to Fill to Screen or Fill to Aspect Ratio?

Thanks!

The only settings I have been using are the preset ones, haven't messed with it yet. I was using 1280x768 on the Xbox. I tried other resolutions but I did not really see a difference. In the picture the monitor is set to Fill to Screen, have not tried the Aspect Ratio one ( I will do that now:p )

PC Games look awesome on it too, I looked at Company of Heroes and Guild Wars and I didn't know it could look so good!

The only settings I have been using are the preset ones, haven't messed with it yet. I was using 1280x768 on the Xbox. I tried other resolutions but I did not really see a difference. In the picture the monitor is set to Fill to Screen, have not tried the Aspect Ratio one ( I will do that now:p )

PC Games look awesome on it too, I looked at Company of Heroes and Guild Wars and I didn't know it could look so good!

Yeah, World of Warcraft looks awesome on this monitor.

My only issue is that the Xbox 360's text on the dashboard looks a little fuzzy compared to my old CRT. It is still completely readable just not as sharp as it once was. However I have the w2007 not the w2207 so there might be some difference there. In addition the day I got this new monitor I got the red ring of death on my 360. I am waiting for it to be repaired. So who knows if the text issue will be solved when my 360 is fixed.

My only issue is that the Xbox 360's text on the dashboard looks a little fuzzy compared to my old CRT. It is still completely readable just not as sharp as it once was. However I have the w2007 not the w2207 so there might be some difference there. In addition the day I got this new monitor I got the red ring of death on my 360. I am waiting for it to be repaired. So who knows if the text issue will be solved when my 360 is fixed.

Yes it probably will look fuzzy compared to a CRT but still really nice. Sorry for your loss:mad:

Do you have the monitor set to Fill to Aspect Ratio? I just did that on mine and it makes games look a lot better. There is only small black bars but it doesn't bother me because it makes it sharper:p Also in the options under Display there is an option that makes the colours look nicer, I can't remember what it is called but set it to Expanded.

Do you have the monitor set to Fill to Aspect Ratio? I just did that on mine and it makes games look a lot better. There is only small black bars but it doesn't bother me because it makes it sharper:p Also in the options under Display there is an option that makes the colours look nicer, I can't remember what it is called but set it to Expanded.

I do have it set to Fill to Aspect Ratio but I do not see the small black bars. My 360 wont even turn on any more for even a small amount of testing. I hope that this issue will be fixed after the repair. And it will display the resolutions correctly. (I noticed this as a possible issue once it started dying but I don't know for sure.) I do have that Display option set as Expanded and it does help a lot.

I do have it set to Fill to Aspect Ratio but I do not see the small black bars. My 360 wont even turn on any more for even a small amount of testing. I hope that this issue will be fixed after the repair. And it will display the resolutions correctly. (I noticed this as a possible issue once it started dying but I don't know for sure.) I do have that Display option set as Expanded and it does help a lot.

You don't see the bars for the Dashboard, atleast, I don't see them either, I get bars in games only.

Which resolution do you set the 360 to?

I just got my monitor, love the picture quality.. but problem is that I hear a loud high pitched noise coming from the back of the LCD. Is anyone getting this noise as well? Seems like I'll have to exchange this one..but was wondering if anyone was having the same problem... I thought I could deal with it, incase exchanging it, is such a hassle but the noise is getting really annoying...

I just got my monitor, love the picture quality.. but problem is that I hear a loud high pitched noise coming from the back of the LCD. Is anyone getting this noise as well? Seems like I'll have to exchange this one..but was wondering if anyone was having the same problem... I thought I could deal with it, incase exchanging it, is such a hassle but the noise is getting really annoying...

No I do not have this, it does not make any noise at all. Maybe it is the little speakers?

Which resolution do you set the 360 to?

I set it to1360x768. I tried 1280x768 too but I could not see a difference on the dashboard. I just chose 1360x768 because it has a higher number lol, if anyone knows what the best resolution is then tell me:p , but it looks awesome on 1360x768 so i guess that is the best one.

O and in Gears of War, when I have it set to Fill to Aspect Ratio, it is full screen so I guess this game supports 1680 x 1050?

No I do not have this, it does not make any noise at all. Maybe it is the little speakers?

Well I didn't hook up the speakers but you think it could still make the noise?

I think it could be the power supply because the only way it stops is if i unplug the power..but it seems to stop for awhile and then starts making the noise again for awhile...really annoying..

I do not have any noise issues as well. I would exchange it.

I set it to1360x768. I tried 1280x768 too but I could not see a difference on the dashboard. I just chose 1360x768 because it has a higher number lol, if anyone knows what the best resolution is then tell me:p , but it looks awesome on 1360x768 so i guess that is the best one.

O and in Gears of War, when I have it set to Fill to Aspect Ratio, it is full screen so I guess this game supports 1680 x 1050?

As far as I know there isn't any game that supports 1680x1050. The monitor is scaling the picture up to 1680x1050 on it's own.

I don't think there is a "best" resolution, but from what I have read the one that makes the most technical sense with this monitor is 1280x768. This is because it is the closest 16:10 resolution the Xbox can display. 1280x780 is 16:10. Since the HP will fill the screen no matter what I feel it is best to fill it with the closest 16:10 resolution we can get.

Your mileage may vary.

Back