The Official HP w2207/w2007 Thread

I just got this monitor about 2 weeks ago and I have mixed feelings. I got the "w2207h"-version that had hdmi-input instead of dvi.

First problems I have calibrating this thing. I've read different guides how to calibrate your monitor, but I still don't know what settings I should have on my display adapters (nvidia) settings, before I start to calibrate it with the monitor's software etc.

There is quite distinguistable blue tint on the color and "massive" (way above normal in my opinion) amount of backlight bleed on the sides. Specially on the bottom and on the lower right part of the monitor. There's like a spot where the light bleeds out in a half-circle shape lightbeam. It's *REALLY* annoying when you are playing or trying to watch movies when there's dark scenes.

I can also see white pixels next to black ones on desktop usage. Like when I'm typing this text and it's black on white background. I can see dimly litten white pixels on the left side of the pixels that make the letters. Is this normal? Somesort of overdrive feature or something? I can see this clearly only on desktop usage. Nothing on games or movies. It's the same sort of "glow/distortion" you can see if you cranck up your display adapters "image sharpening".

Also when I move my head, my eyes can see a very small black grid "floating" on top of the screen on white backgrounds, and when my head movement stops (or I focuse my sights) the grid vanishes. I've made a hypothesis that my eyes can see the tiny black "gaps" between pixels. Is this maybe related to the dot pitch and the resolution and physical size of the monitor? Like the monitors physical size is a little bit too big for the resolution and dot pitch, and if this could show higher resolutions, I woudn't be able to see the spaces between pixels? It's just very hard to describe coz sometimes you just see the grid and sometimes you don't.

Also the brightness is WAY too high for my eyes. I switched from my old 19" Samsung Syncmaster T-something TFT and compared to it, this one's a spotlight, not a monitor! I tweaked the brightness and contrast to about 50 but still it strains my eyes and make em hurt. Is it really normal to lower the brightness and contrasts so low? Even when then calibration software says you should turn em to 100 and then "lower until..." in witch case I can lower the settings from 100 -> 0 and I can't still get the picture I want.

After a one week I found one dead pixel that shows on white background as a pink pixel.

I love the adjust possibilities on this monitor. The stand is nice but it would be nice if it could allow ppl to tilt the monitor more downwards than the ~5 degrees it allows now. Also the glare doesn't bother me at all.

So I'm not quite ready to say what my opinion is about this monitor. But it seems to be going towards "disapointed". My old 19" Samsung TFT outperforms this monitor in a few areas (smooth color display on gradients etc.) even when it's almost 10 years old.

So, does anyone here have any suggestions on how to remedy the situation? Does someone have their settings on rather low brightness/contrast while still keeping the gamma and colors proper? If so, please post your settings.

I'm also curious about other ppl's settings, coz I've not yet been able to find a suitable one for myself with this monitor :( I've tried the ones ppl talked on the first pages on this thread, but dunno rly if they we're suitable for my panel. Need more examples to test and play with. All the pre defined settings are crap exept for Text and Custom. And I'm still not very clear on the customs working principle :confused: :confused: :confused:

Getting little frustrating and hopeless :(

Sorry for the long post and non-native english writing.

Ps. I'm not sure about my panel yet. I'll recheck it asap when I have the time.

Yes if you can do that, that would be great. Thanks.

You have a PM. ;)

I just got this monitor about 2 weeks ago and I have mixed feelings...

Honestly, it sounds like you have a bad/faulty panel. I would take it back and get it exchanged, or swap it for a Samsung.

I finally got mine calibrated, and it took me a while. I have the monitor set to factory settings, and I ran the Monitor Calibration Wizard in the NVIDIA control panel, then took the GAMMA down to 4% to get rid of some purplish halos around bold lettering. Its going to be different for everyone, and once you get it right I would save your profile.

Well his is an "h" version. He talks about blue dominance in color, that suggests an Innolux panel on his h.

hmm not good. Looks like HP's cheaping out on the panels from this point forward.

Well his is an "h" version. He talks about blue dominance in color, that suggests an Innolux panel on his h.

Could very well be part of the problem, but it seems like its defective too, you know?

Looks like HP's cheaping out on the panels from this point forward.

I would say that is a reasonable assumption. Although, my panel was manufactured in October of 2007--the absolute newest w2207 I have seen in any store--and it has the Samsung panel. So, there's still hope! :)

The problem is that people are not posting their label info in this thread, but they want all the data up front so they don't have to read through the whole thing. Seems backasswards to me.

Im about to buy a 22" LCD for watching Movies and Surfing the net.

Hp2207 is 400$
Vs
Acer AL2216WBD 220$

eh should I spend more or just grab an Acer ?

Thinking about buying the W2207h in UK. PCWorld and John Lewis are selling it for £199. Spoke to people at John Lewis. They say the the panel has to have more than 10 dead pixels with in a certain area before they would consider it defective. Also after I buy it, if there is any problem I will have to deal with HP. They will not change or support. That sounds a bit scary. I don't know what the terms at PCWorld is like. Someone in a previous post said not to get it from PCWorld but did not elaborate. Can someone please advice me regarding buying this monitor in UK? Thanks in advance.

HP does have a 60 day customer satisfaction policy. I think you can press them to give you a pixel-defect-free lcd if you push them hard enough.

I got mine in the UK at Staples, and they price matched for me to PCWorlds price (only because the local store in Portsmouth has a good dead pixel policy).

Thankfully, it was flawless.

Just some info on my monitor for those who want it. The monitor itself looks fantastic. The display has minimal back light bleed and no stuck pixels.

Service Menu
STMD1.2
LTM220M1-L01

7x3kys4.jpg

Just some info on my monitor for those who want it. The monitor itself looks fantastic. The display has minimal back light bleed and no stuck pixels.

Service Menu
STMD1.2
LTM220M1-L01

7x3kys4.jpg

Another October 2007 with the Samsung panel. Awesome. Thanks for posting your info dude!

Here's the specs from my monitor.

GTMH3 .4
LM220WE1 - TLB

6le4486.jpg

Any ideas on how to minimize the blacklight bleed and get proper colors? I've had problems finding the right ones. Everything is just too bright or then too dark.

I just bought it today and the service says:
ATM2.3
LM220EW01-V2

What does this means?

My theory so far:

LM220M1 = Samsung
LTM220M1 = Samsung
LTM220M1-L01 = Samsung
LM220WE1-TLB1 = LG
MT220WW01-V1 = Innolux
LM220EW01-V2 = Innolux

Awesome. Again, thanks very much for posting your label. I am keeping tabs on this stuff as you can see from my previous posts. ;)

Has there been problems with backlight bleed on LG panels? I'm not sure if my unit bleeds like hell or just "like normal". It seems to bleed way too much in my eyes, but I'm just not sure when I don't have any other model to compare it with :confused:

I just know that the bottom of my monitor is shining on light blue instead of black.

Why is everyone hating on the linnolux panels? Mine has one and I couldn't be happier with the picture. There is almost nill blacklight bleed, the colors are vibrant and I see no color banding issues. The text is extremely crisp and the black levels are good too.

Maybe some who have the linnolux don't have their's calibrated properly? I don't know. Either way, the 2207 just jumps out at you at the store with its IMO classy looks. Also, I like the stand and the adjustability it offers.

I have a W2207H and it looks great in windows. Good defined colors and really good black color when mixed with other colors.

The only thing it could be better is when in "full black".

It tends to have a little too mutch backlight bleeding in the edges.

Is it normal on a 22" wide TFT ? A friend of mine has a 23" professional HP non-glossy TFT ( +/- $600) and it also has this backlight efect.

This is noticed when my PC is booting and all the bios messages are being displayed (DOS MODE) and when the windows XP progress bar screen is displayed too.

It's not a bluish as someone reported. It's just not 100% black.

2 questions :

- how do I identify my panel ?

- how do I calibrate the colors ? any easy method ?

Well, after 2 days testing my new baby, I can say:
Crispy colors
No dead pixels
Now I know what backlight bleeding meant, but it's not a big deal for me, btw, I have an Innolux panel, any wrong with it?

Paco

^^It seems that some of the people who have that panel, don't like it too much. As I stated just a few posts up, I really like mine and have had zero issues with it.

i own my hp w2207 since aug this year, i came bundle with the hp pavilion a6157c and i paid $999 cad at costco, i've always used tha vga 15 pin connection and i just got a dvi kvm swith, i'ts great but now i can't use the auto settings in the osd nor the wizard on my display (the included software), and there's another problem, now i can't see the bios, when rebooting it only come on when it's time to sign in, do anyone know anithing about this?

i own my hp w2207 since aug this year, i came bundle with the hp pavilion a6157c and i paid $999 cad at costco, i've always used tha vga 15 pin connection and i just got a dvi kvm swith, i'ts great but now i can't use the auto settings in the osd nor the wizard on my display (the included software), and there's another problem, now i can't see the bios, when rebooting it only come on when it's time to sign in, do anyone know anithing about this?

I have the same "issue", sometimes it doesn´t display BIOS screen or it takes too much time , or I have to turn off the PC and turn it on again, it´s strange.

I dunno I echanged mine cause there was a scratch on the last one seems like theres backbleed I dunno the sides are really bright. Can someone show what optimal conditions should look like with this monitor?

Picture of my backlight bleed. Just focus on the sides and bottom. The center is just reflection. EDIT: The sides look worse than they really are in this photo. The most bleed is at the bottom of the panel.

6y5h2j6.jpg

Picture of my backlight bleed. Just focus on the sides and bottom. The center is just reflection. EDIT: The sides look worse than they really are in this photo. The most bleed is at the bottom of the panel.

6y5h2j6.jpg

What mode are you in gaming txt ect also how did u make the screen all black? pixel program or just black background so others can compare ect?

Under what does it show you what kind of panel you have?

What mode are you in gaming txt ect also how did u make the screen all black? pixel program or just black background so others can compare ect?

Under what does it show you what kind of panel you have?

I just used the "blank" screen saver. I do not use any of those built in modes. The monitor has a Samsung panel.

When you guys push Auto does anything happen or a screen pop up?

Took the plunge and bought the W2207h from PCWorld just after x-mas. Everything looks good. Very satisfied with it so far. Had been using 19" CRT before but had been very much used to LCD at work. I must say HD content looks absolutely fab. I personally have not noticed any lag, while playing Call of Duty 4. There is some back light bleed but I don't feel too bothered by that so far. Have noticed some choppy/blocky-ness in some of the xvid movies, specially in dark/grey and black areas but that seems to be encoding issues as other movies and DVDs look brilliant.

Fortunately no dead or stuck pixels that I can see, even after looking with DPB software.

Have installed the driver in XP but not the software.

Seem to have the LG panel (LM220WE1-TLB in service menu). Box picture below...

A few questions for all the veterans:

1) What is the best way to calibrate?

2) Should I calibrate at all? I don't do Photoshoping but do use Digi cams and look at pictures on the monitor.

3) Using XP, Should I install the software? I guess that would be the only way to get the tilt function of the monitor working?

4) Any of you presently using the software? What is your experience/ openion?

5) Do I need to register with HP for my warrenty?

A big thank you to everyone participating in this thread. Reading this has been really helpful.

Happy New Year to everyone.

6q0cs2g.jpg

2 things
I'm confused what to look at on my box to see what type of panel it has what am I looking at?
Also is all I have to do for it to be 720p is have my desktop resolution and games set to default resolution? 1680x1050?

2 things
I'm confused what to look at on my box to see what type of panel it has what am I looking at?
Also is all I have to do for it to be 720p is have my desktop resolution and games set to default resolution? 1680x1050?

What you're looking for is the Rev. #####

STM001 is a Samsung Panel. The w2207's with Samsung panels seem to be coming from China. The one's with LG panels, so far, look like they are making their way from the Czech Republic.

Pg. 34,35, and 36 have the most info on this matter.

As for the 720p question: unless you are running another source like an HD tuner box, HD DVD, or BluRay player into the DVI port, everything you see is 1680x1050 and the whole 720p/1080i/1080p scenario does not apply. If you are decoding/viewing an HD movie through Windows, then the media will be stretched/condensed to fit the screen, just like a regular DVD--except the intended resolution is much higher, of course.

What you're looking for is the Rev. #####

STM001 is a Samsung Panel. The w2207's with Samsung panels seem to be coming from China. The one's with LG panels, so far, look like they are making their way from the Czech Republic.

Pg. 34,35, and 36 have the most info on this matter.

As for the 720p question: unless you are running another source like an HD tuner box, HD DVD, or BluRay player into the DVI port, everything you see is 1680x1050 and the whole 720p/1080i/1080p scenario does not apply. If you are decoding/viewing an HD movie through Windows, then the media will be stretched/condensed to fit the screen, just like a regular DVD--except the intended resolution is much higher, of course.

So like watching online HD trailers is pointless with this LCD or am I missing something?

So like watching online HD trailers is pointless with this LCD or am I missing something?

Its far from pointless. Most HD trailers I have seen via the superinterwebnets have only been 720p at best, which can be appreciated in their full resolution. Anything that has more horizontal resolution than 1050 (ie 1920x1080 [1080i/p]) will be displayed smaller than their full potential resolution. Like when you make your DVD software's window smaller when watching a flick.

If you're hell-bent on watching HD movies or HDTV on your PC then you should probably look elsewhere. If you're just watching "HD" trailers then you're not missing anything. The whole 720p/1080i/1080p designation is bullshit anyway--its mostly marketing hype, but I'm not going to get into that.

I'm contimplating returning this LCD again lol theres so much light bleed I have the worste f'ing luck with monitors.

My rev is: ITM 001 <-- ???

Which rev are the ones to aim for?

Back