The Official HP w2207/w2007 Thread

Hi first post here .Have been looking for a new monitor for the last week .Was more or less convinced to go for the w2207 ,finding this forum tipped me over the edge .Went out and bought one today .£229.95 from Staples .Love it.One slight problem .The desk at which I sit isquite high compared to the chair I sit in (this is in a bedroom ) . Most of the time I must admit to half laying in the chair with me feet up on the bed. This has never caused a problem before as my monitor could always be tilted so that it was perfectly vertical .However, with the w2207 I dont seem to be able to do that . Photos on HPs website show it vertical .A review site shows it as vertical but I dont seem to be able to make it vertical.The screen points upwards slightly .And , just having spent a fair chunk of cash I dont want to force it...unless of course everybody elses monitor can be positioned that way.
Thanks

I posted this in another form about the 2007 and the 2207. I did more testing afterwards and found the contrast and the overall light coverage (brightness) better on the 2007. I dunno if that is due to the small size and tighter pixels or what. Like I said, I need to calibrate them with spyderexpress2 or something to see how that fairs. Example. Pictures tend to look less washed out and more vibrant on the 2007 in "photo" setting than on the 22007. Same with guild wars on the 2007 vs. 22007 in "game" mode. GW just looks better on the 2007.

I have both ATM. I bought the w2007 at walmart and the w2207 at circuit city. I was more impressed with the out of the box performance of the w2007. I'm on the 2207 now and I'm thinking I may take it back. But I need to be more fair and at least try to calibrate it more. Neither are calibrated. The factory "quick settings" on the 2007 seem to be more effective than the 2207. The 2207 seems a bit washed out at the moment. The 2007 as a .256 dot bitch whereas the 2207 has a .28 That may be noticeable in DVD and games, not sure yet. I doubt it. The 2207 and 2007 are both excellent displays...but I was more impressed with the performance for the 2007. The 2207 is almost too much, which I hadn't thought it would be and I decided to take it back I'm going to have to fight circuit city. There is NO WAY I'm allowing them to just take 55 bucks of MY money for no reason other than "they can." Retailers have no business charging restocking fees. Etailers, fine

anyways...I'd like to see the color profiles of "calibrated" m2007 and 2207 monitors but nobody is sharing or has calibrated yet.

ive been fairly happy with my 2207 for 6months now. got it for <300$ from CC in the states.

gotta love those 10% off ebay coupons for CC/BB

I did look at the 2007 too, it had a better picture up close. I use the monitor to watch dvds from 15ft away though, so size was important.

i dont regret my purchase one bit. i have one small green pixel, cant even notice it. tried to get it out when i purchased the monitor, but gave up because i simply cant see it.

try going from the lcd on a dell m1210 (12") to a 22" monitor, YIKE :)

which panel is Better???

I'm interested in the calibrated results and hoping that I don't have to return the 2207 as I really don't want to screw around with CC return policy. Had I not seen the 2007 before the 2207, I'm sure I would think it is fantastic and not give it a second though. But compared to the 2007 the 2207 is an inferior panel, in its uncalibrated state. Due to the same rez on both panels, more screen real estate is not gained in the 2207. At least as far as web browsing or general windows environment. The dot pitch of hte 2007 is .256 whereas the 2207 is .28. If the 2007 had ALL the features of the 2207, there would be no doubt as to which is superior. At this point, if you don't care about the limited stand and lack of usb ports, the uncalibrated 2007 is superior in image quality.

So How Are You Guys Calibrating Your Monitors? I have both the 2007 & the 2207. Both are fantastic. Had them just over a week & love em both. Mac on 1 & Vista/XP on the other.

So what are your settings, Colour, Brightness, Quick View etc & how did you calibrate them?

Cheers

Too bad so much useful information was lost on this thread during the server crash, and subsequent backup. I don't think most know just how many panels have been used in the HP w2207's short history. And I'm still not entirely sure how to accurately differentiate between some of these panels: Innolux, Samsung, Philips. Again, seems as if some of us are almost talking about different monitors entirely.

So How Are You Guys Calibrating Your Monitors? I have both the 2007 & the 2207. Both are fantastic. Had them just over a week & love em both. Mac on 1 & Vista/XP on the other.

So what are your settings, Colour, Brightness, Quick View etc & how did you calibrate them?

Cheers

I'll post the calibration settings once I get my spyder2 next week. Which do you think has the better image quality?

Too bad so much useful information was lost on this thread during the server crash, and subsequent backup. I don't think most know just how many panels have been used in the HP w2207's short history. And I'm still not entirely sure how to accurately differentiate between some of these panels: Innolux, Samsung, Philips. Again, seems as if some of us are almost talking about different monitors entirely.

What chew talkin' 'bout Willis?

What chew talkin' 'bout Willis?

MySQL was crashing, after a move to 64-bit, and a few days of posts were lost after restoring with a backup. Any information on how to determine the various w2207 panels, and discussions on their quality, was lost to the ages.

I'll post the calibration settings once I get my spyder2 next week. Which do you think has the better image quality?

Thanks That'll Be Cool

As for which has the better Image.....I guess the 2007 has it but only just.

I am running Mac OS X ~ w2207 & Vista Ultimate ~ w2007.

If I put the same desktop background on both it's close, real close. I dunno if it's cause I have an Nvidia 7100 GF Card running Vista.. not tried the the other way round.

I do however have a Dvi to D-sub running between the PC & 2007. Dvi From Mac to 2207.

I think both monitors are fantastic & if you buy either you wont be disappointed. I would love to have sen the 24" before I bought these two tho....

Look forward to reading the calibration settings w2007megs..or anyone else's for that matter.

Have Fun

I finally decided to get the W2207 yesterday because of the features it has over the LG and Samsung, and also because of the panel lottery issue with Samsung. All of the units on display were manufactured in April 2007 and had LM220WE1 panels

(LG/Philips?). When I asked the salesperson to bring out boxed units, there were also a couple manufactured in July 2007. I thought these must be better because they're newer, and any problems with previous releases must have been addressed with

more recent releases, right? Checked out the July 2007 unit, it had LTM220M1-L01 Panel Version STMD1.2. Isn't this the "desired" Samsung panel, same one in the 226BW "S" units? The unit was ok, no dead pixels and I couldn't appreciate any

backlight bleed in the store (I even asked them to turn off ceiling lights). But when I got home, I found out that it had some bleeding along the vertical sides, almost none on top or bottom. I think I can live with it but I couldn't help wonder if I had gotten the

April 2007 unit with the Philips panel, would the backlight bleed have been less? Or more? Guess I just want to make myself feel better, or worse, depending on what other users know about the comparison of the 2 panels. Comments pls.

I'd like to ask how scaling is usually managed with this monitor. I'm using an X1800XT and choosing "Centered Timings" in ATI CCC doesn't do anything, but Prey scales well (with black bars at sides when playing at 1280x1024) when I choose "Fit to

Aspect Ratio" in the monitor OSD.

Questions: 1: Do I still need to select "Centered Timings" in CCC aside from the OSD, or just the OSD setting?

2: Will I need to do this only whenever I play a game at non-native resolution, or can I leave it at this setting for all types of usage?

I'm hoping someone would give some input regarding the comparison of the Samsung and Philips panels used in the W2207 (Pls see previous post). I think I have the Samsung (LTM220M1-LO1). Is this good, or would the Philips have been better? I might

try to find a way to have it exchanged if the Philips is really superior. It's just that I have no basis for comparison so I'm relying on input from others. TIA

I just have to say, I'm completely impressed with this w2207, so much so I had to join and post my thoughts.

I saw it in Best Buy hooked up to a HP with DVI, and it struck me as unusually clear and vibrant for a TN panel. So I spent about 20 mins playing with it and Vista, trying to make myself dismiss my initial impressions. In the end I walked away thinking once I got it home in my low light environment, the TN curse would for sure rear it's ugly head.

Then I decided to come to the forums here, where I have been researching LCDs for over a year, trying to find a replacement for my 21" Samsung FCRT. Well after reading all the posts in this very thread, I decided once again to pull the trigger on yet another LCD, with the assurance of Best Buy and their excellent return poliicy.

So today I write this on a HP W2207 (7900GTO) and I am pleased to report this one will be staying. Maybe because it's such a better deal even at the extravogant price I paid ($380 out the door), than all the PVA panels out there. But mostly because of the stellar quality of this build, no defective pixels, uniform backlight and bleed, and excellent scaling properties. Scaling is just perfect, so have no fear about using other than the native, as long as you use "fill to aspect ratio" it works perfect (for me at least).

I have spent alot of money on several different models of LCDs, and none of them made me push over the return policy deadline, not even close. I have a feeling this one is here to stay though, and the 80lbs Sammy will go into storage for now.

This is of course no IPS panel, but for the size and quality of panel I was considering, I would have had to spend well over $1K to aquire one. For a TN panel, this one is simply stunning, movies games and pictures are fantastic. I never thought movies upscaled would look so great, I think that's the real selling point for me. I was never satisfied before, watching DVDs on an LCD. Of course it's still no CRT, blacks lack detail, but for the price I can deal with it. It's still far better than the black crush of PVA and the empty bank account from IPS.

Games have that slight lag and ghosting still, but I'm so used to CRT I'm bound to notice a little. Colors are slightly lighter near the bottom as well, as is typical of TN, but with such an ajustable stand it's only a matter of finding the sweet spot. The stand is firm, and I have not noticed any of the wobbling spoken of (sturdy desk here as well).

Bottom line is it's close to PVA black levels and color without the horizontal crush, and half as expensive. Well done HP.

Manufacture date says July 2007, and OSD reports 1.2 firmware, came with DVI cable (DVI sticker on box).

I just have to say, I'm completely impressed with this w2207, so much so I had to join and post my thoughts.

Nice review. I still have no regrets on mine. Damn! the price went way up! CC had them for $319 for a long time when I got mine.

Hello!! :)

This monitor is amazing. I bought mine a few days ago for £229 from Staples in the UK, with a pair of £20 Logitech powered speakers thrown in.

What can I say!! I've only just taken the protective plastic off!! My previous monitor was a 19" 1280x1024 HANNS-G 194D. Prior to that I had a 25" Iiyama CRT. I have to say it, I think LCDs are much more precise and don't cause the headaches which CRTs did. I'm not quite sure what it is but CRTs do seem to have that almost washed out luste to them.

Right, specs.

Manufacture Date : July 2007.
Panel : LM220WE1 - TLBN1.
Firmware : GTMV1. 6.
Port : DVI
Host Display Adapter : MSI Nvidia NX8600GT OC.
Host O/S : Windows XP Professional SP2.
Resolution : 1680 x 1050 x 32bit.
Host System : IBM ThinkCentre M51, P4HT 3.4Ghz, 2GB.

Clearly that's one of the LG panels. I don't notice any of the bleeding or artifacts that have been mentioned. The QuickView option in the OSD menu I have become familiar with though, literally just hit "+" and away you go. Definitely easier than mouse clicking.

Also, having read about the bundled HP software on here, I haven't even unwrapped the book/packet.

Has anyone dared to fiddle with the settings under the 'F' menu yet? :)

Thanks again to you all here :) Great thread. It helped loads in making my decision. :)

The W2207 is a pretty well calibrated panel straight from the factory. All I needed to do was to customise a setting between text (too dark) and gaming (too bright) for the evenings. The software included is not really needed or particularly special - saves you an installation on your machine. Otherwise I really like the screen as well as it is so straightforward and well made.

Greetings. I finally got around to calibrating the w2207 with spyder2express and it looks MUCH better in games, movies and pictures. I had to tone down the brightness/contrast a bit for web browsing but left everything else the same. No more saturation and colors do not mix.

Here is the download link: http://user.pa.net/~starner/dir/Spyder2express.icm (right click, save as)

Be sure you have adobe gamma turned off and any other graphics apps that may be running in the background that would alter the color settings. Use the windows color management to load the profile. Not sure how it will work for the rest of you without going thru the actual calibration process but I would say it was $60 well spent. Before I was on the fence about the w2207 since I had already seen how much better the w2007 was out of the box...not anymore :)

Greetings. I finally got around to calibrating the w2207 with spyder2express and it looks MUCH better in games, movies and pictures. I had to tone down the brightness/contrast a bit for web browsing but left everything else the same. No more saturation and colors do not mix.

Here is the download link: http://user.pa.net/~starner/dir/Spyder2express.icm (right click, save as)

Be sure you have adobe gamma turned off and any other graphics apps that may be running in the background that would alter the color settings. Use the windows color management to load the profile. Not sure how it will work for the rest of you without going thru the actual calibration process but I would say it was $60 well spent. Before I was on the fence about the w2207 since I had already seen how much better the w2007 was out of the box...not anymore :)

Can you tell me what are the brightness & contrast values that you used? Also what color patter are you using with that configuration?

One last question: What video card do you have installed, Ati or nVidia card?
Tks

Can you tell me what are the brightness & contrast values that you used? Also what color patter are you using with that configuration?

One last question: What video card do you have installed, Ati or nVidia card?
Tks

Nvidia card. Color temp is at 6500k. brightness at 90, contrast 80. That is my game/movie/picture setting. I use lower contrast and brightness for browsing. I'm not sure how to determine the color pattern in the OSD without changing it nor am I sure how to tell within the color profile I loaded.

Well i have bought the HP2207 screen and i want to say its awesome. The more i use it the more i like it. Heres some info

Manufacture Date : July 2007.
Panel : LTM220M1 - L01. Nice to know i got the samsung panel :)
Port : DVI
Firmware 1.2
Display Adapter : sparkle Nvidia 8800GTX.
Resolution : 1680 x 1050 x 32bit.
System : E6850 & 2 gig of mem.

Im wondering how do you guys check for bleeding? I do notice that the screen is darker up top and ligher on the bottom as others have reported.

Also with the spyder2express prog does that change the monitor settings or windows color and brightness settings?

Also are you limited with how many operating systems you can use it on as long as its the same screen? Because i have two systems via a kvm switch that both dual boot.

Got mine last week, are these Innolux panels any good?

http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/
able to see all the squares in Contrast test
up to 253 with White saturation test

- Text Mode
- Brightness 35
- Contrast 35
- no icm profile tweak

MFG Date : July / 2007

dsc00428rv8.jpg

Got the w2207 a few days ago. This is my first LCD monitor - I'd been using a high-end IIyama 19in CRT prior to that.

It's absolutely superb for programming - the text clarity leaves my CRT so far behind it's almost a joke, and the dramatically increased horizontal resolution is also a boon.

It has however taken me a long time to get the color calibrated so that grays actually look gray, without a bluish tint. To my eyes, the factory defaults were way, way off! I think I've finally got it right after going through HP My Display's color calibration section umpteen times.

As far as I can see, the screen is free from defects, but I have noticed that the lower part of the screen appears slightly lighter than the upper half. Apparently this is normal for "TN" panels.

All in all, I have to say I'm very pleased with my w2207!

Hey guys I picked up this monitor 2 days ago after reading all the rave reviews from this thread. I'm coming from a Sony 21" Trinitron CRT and this is my first LCD.

There's no dead pixels or any noticeable ghosting.

My panel number is LM220EW01-V2, this is an LG right?

Anyway I was wondering if this normal for LCD or just TN panels. I'm sitting directly in front of the monitor and if i slouch or tilt my head down a bit the colors of the top portion of the monitor gets darker.

I'm also having trouble getting the colors right, I'm currently using Text mode and turning down the brightness and it looks decent on the desktop. Games like WoW looks great however.

I guess if the angle issue is a TN thing I'd probably get the NEC 20".

Hey!

I bought my HP W2207 in August, 2007. The monitor is simply awesome :)
Havent got any blacklight bleeding, but when the entire screen is black, the black looks a little bluish and not as black as my Dell 2007WFP (S-IPS).

I got the LG-panel.

Paneltype: LM220WE1-TLB1 = LG

Settings
Brightness: 72
Contrast: 60

Color -> Custom color:

R: 255
G: 244
B: 234

ClearType ON in Windows XP

These settings gives me a very nice picture.

POST YOUR CALIBRATED SETTINGS, DON'T FORGET TO MENTION WHAT PANEL YOU GOT!

I just bought my HP2207 here in Beijing, China last night for RMB 2600 / USD 345.

While it seems the Samsung-type lottery has begun I actually seem to have gotten a Samsung panel :)

Manufacture Date: August 2007
Panel: LTM220M1-L01

I don't have any special calibration software so I just used a combination of the online tests to adjust brightness / contrast / gamma and the Nvidia control panel to adjust the RGB levels. Brightness - 68, Contrast - 80, Gamma .91 (in Nvidia panel). RGB settings are not reflected numerically in the Nvidia panel. Using 6500k.

So far I am pretty happy with the settings. I am looking forward to seeing what other people are using for their settings. I encourage others to post their settings and note what panel they have!!!

On a separate note, I am having issues with my mouse pointer slightly disappearing from the bottom and right of the screen. It goes completely off the edge of the viewable screen just barely. I am using the DVI connection. I am wondering if anyone else has encountered this issue and how you resolved it. Thanks!!!

On a separate note, I am having issues with my mouse pointer slightly disappearing from the bottom and right of the screen. It goes completely off the edge of the viewable screen just barely. I am using the DVI connection. I am wondering if anyone else has encountered this issue and how you resolved it. Thanks!!!

Same thing happens here and also am using dvi. Also have the samsung panel. To change that you need to change the horizontal and vertical position and unfortunately those settings are only available in vga mode. Thats what it says in the instructions that is on the cd

Edited

Well i switched to vga and changing the vertial and horizontal position didnt work. The mouse still goes off screen. Not much of a deal really. I'll just put up with it

Hey guys I picked up this monitor 2 days ago after reading all the rave reviews from this thread. I'm coming from a Sony 21" Trinitron CRT and this is my first LCD.

There's no dead pixels or any noticeable ghosting.

My panel number is LM220EW01-V2, this is an LG right?

Anyway I was wondering if this normal for LCD or just TN panels. I'm sitting directly in front of the monitor and if i slouch or tilt my head down a bit the colors of the top portion of the monitor gets darker.

I'm also having trouble getting the colors right, I'm currently using Text mode and turning down the brightness and it looks decent on the desktop. Games like WoW looks great however.

I guess if the angle issue is a TN thing I'd probably get the NEC 20".

No, this is an Innolux screen. You're the second to have one on this thread besides me. And the colors do shift at angles if you sit too close. That's my only real complaint with this particular panel. All TNs have progressively lighter color gradients from top to bottom though. It's the nature of the technology. The contrast and text crispness definitely make it worth keeping, maybe until affordable OLEDs hit the scene.

No, this is an Innolux screen. You're the second to have one on this thread besides me.

Make that three. I finally got round to checking mine and it's Innolux, bought from a local store in the UK.

I'm generally very happy with it but it took a lot of fiddling with the color calibration in HP My Display before I got grays to be (mostly) free of a bluish tint. Coming from a decent CRT I may be more picky than most!

My settings:
Monitor brightness: 50, contrast: 80, color: custom with calibration in HP My Display.
I also lowered the brightness in my gfx card's cpl very slightly.

I'm quite interested in getting this monitor. But HP seems to have replaced the w2207 with the w2207h in my country.

According to Prad the differences are dynamic contrast and HDMI input, but I'm interested to know if there is a different panel and if there's any difference in quality in the newer revision.

I can't read the specs on that website, but I can say that when I bought mine here in Beijing there were both an HDMI version (2207h) and a non-HDMI version (2207). I doubt if there are any significant differences between the two models, just the input difference.

The same is true for the 2408 model which the store had on display as well, both h and non-h models were available.

Yep im pretty sure dvi is same quality as hdmi. Its just that monitors are starting to come out with hdmi to suit current technology. Altho HDMI also supports sound to i think. Not sure if dvi did

I can't read the specs on that website, but I can say that when I bought mine here in Beijing there were both an HDMI version (2207h) and a non-HDMI version (2207). I doubt if there are any significant differences between the two models, just the input difference.

The same is true for the 2408 model which the store had on display as well, both h and non-h models were available.

Thanks for the info. That definitely makes sense. I didn't know an H model existed.

I'm having a hell of a time trying to decide between the w2207 or the Samsung 226CW. From what I've read the w2207 is superior to the BW, but how does it stack up against the CW? Price is a factor. If I can get the w2207 for $300 I will by it now. I mostly play games and surf the web. It will be replacing an ancient Quantex 19" CRT that I've had since the summer of '99.

I just received a 2707 (from Dell in the US) where the panel looks like it wasn't installed square inside of the brushed alum frame.

This photoshopped image will give you an idea of what I'm talking about. Notice how the right top corner of the blue screen is lower than the left top corner):

If you are a 2707 owner would you please check your screen and let us know if the panel is installed square or a bit skewed.

Thanks!

PS - a similar issue as mentioned in this older thread:

http://www.dellcommunity.com/suppor...dim_monitor&message.id=83532&jump=true#M83532

May be you should try the Official Dell 2707WFP Thread.

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1143748

I haven't had a lot of chance to play with the different resolutions but it does not look like this monitor supports 1:1 pixel mapping. It will stretch the image to fit the screen.
just a stupid question
all monitors support 1:1 pixelmapping on its NATIVE resolution,

am looking at this monitor to

For those of you who dont want to play the Super Panel lottery, you can actually find out which panel without opening the box.

I guess you wont know this unless you've gone through at least 2 boxes and know how to ask the monitor to show you which panel it is using.

On the sticker of the box with the serial number, upc etc, you will find the "Rev.:"
Samsung panel="STM001" for both monitors so far, and somewhat matches the "STMD1.2" designation within the bios of the Service opinion.

I found a shitload of boxes with "I..", I think those are the Innolux panels.

Hey, at least HP is playing it a bit smarter than Samsung did with the 226BW fiasco.

As a sidenote, I am now staring at 2 of these Samsung panels, and both cant seem to display a pure black out of the box. Both are identical in color reproduction, and for black color, there is a hint of blue. Perhaps, this is a TN panel problem, or a Samsung problem. I just dont have the heart to purchase/return another monitor to Bestbuy to find out if the other 2 panel types are better.

Back