The Official - Haswell-E Overclocking results thread

DooKey

[H]F Junkie
Please post your processor: 5820K, 5930K, 5960X and the stable OC results in this thread with HSF type, cpu voltage, and cpu batch number. Also, post your motherboard type and BIOS and RAM brand/speed/voltage.

Additional info below the above at your discretion.

EX: 5820K, 4.6ghz, 1.3v, S-SPEC, BATCH NUMBER, NH-D14
MSI X99 SLI, BIOS 1.3,
G-Skill Ripjaws, 4x4gb, 2666 @ 3000, 1.2v

MY Results so far:

5820K, 4.6ghz, 1.28v, S-SPEC SR20S, BATCH NUMBER 3422B721, NH-D14 SE2011, Load temps 75-82C running BOINC projects

MSI X99S SLI Plus, BIOS 1.2

G-Skill Ripjaws 4, 4x4gb, 2666 @ 2666, 1.2v

Last edited:
5960X, 4.5GHz 1.35V, custom water
Asus Rampage V Extreme bios 0403
Corsair Vengence LPX 2666 C15 @ 2750 1.3V

chip does 5.5GHz at -110C and 1.75V on LN2

idle temp- average core temp is 32C
load temp- average core temp is 62C
ambient temp is 24C

Last edited:
Can you also post temperatures?(ambient, low, high)? It might help people with buying them for their new systems.

I'd also like to see what wall you guys hit that kept you from going to higher frequencies. Did you stop because you were afraid of higher voltage, was temperature a problem, frequency wall where voltage wasn't helping, etc etc? My exp. with 4770k's is they hit a frequency wall where no amount of voltage helps (most people ran into the thermal wall before finding this out), so I'm looking to find out if HSW-E is any better in this department.

Intel added Haswell-E to their performance tuning plan today!

http://click.intel.com/tuningplan/purchase-a-plan

Registering my processor now. 3x480 rads ready to cool my 5960x. Just waiting on the mobo and RAM to get here...then it's balls to the wall max stable OC time. I don't really want to exceed 1.5v, but i'll go up to 1.6v for 24/7 clocking if my loop can handle the heat. 5ghz is my personal goal.

I'd also like to see what wall you guys hit that kept you from going to higher frequencies. Did you stop because you were afraid of higher voltage, was temperature a problem, frequency wall where voltage wasn't helping, etc etc? My exp. with 4770k's is they hit a frequency wall where no amount of voltage helps (most people ran into the thermal wall before finding this out), so I'm looking to find out if HSW-E is any better in this department.

same tech so more cores, wall will be lower than previous series. 4.5ghz will be the mark.
I be happy to be wrong though.

Last edited:
Intel added Haswell-E to their performance tuning plan today!

http://click.intel.com/tuningplan/purchase-a-plan

Registering my processor now. 3x480 rads ready to cool my 5960x. Just waiting on the mobo and RAM to get here...then it's balls to the wall max stable OC time. I don't really want to exceed 1.5v, but i'll go up to 1.6v for 24/7 clocking if my loop can handle the heat. 5ghz is my personal goal.

They don't electrically test warranty returns. It's solely a visual inspection to make sure the lot number on the heat spreader and the serial number you provide align. If it breaks during overclocking and there's no physical damage to the chip, warranty covers it. Warranties aren't even dealt with by Intel directly...it's subcontracted out.

Last edited:
Got my 5930k and classified setup. Just transplanted it in my x79 system, no issues so far. I overclocked the cpu to 4ghz and it shot up to 83c after 10min of prime. Will do some tinkering tomorrow, plus the thermal paste has to settle, but man this thing is a burner :p

Got my 5930k and classified setup. Just transplanted it in my x79 system, no issues so far. I overclocked the cpu to 4ghz and it shot up to 83c after 10min of prime. Will do some tinkering tomorrow, plus the thermal paste has to settle, but man this thing is a burner :p

4GHz at what voltage?
83c with what cooler?

83c Is a lot. This means that your oc isn't good for the summer hot.

I'm surprised the thing is still working...seeing as the x79 LGA 2011 and x99 LGA 2011-3 are not cross compatible.

I'm surprised the thing is still working...seeing as the x79 LGA 2011 and x99 LGA 2011-3 are not cross compatible.

I think what he means is that he put the new MB and CPU into what used to be his X79 setup.

By classified I meant x99 classified :p

Not sure what my volts were as I just set the multiplier to 40 without touching anything else. I am using an h80i to cool

Its not...and I call bullshit. 2011 and 2011-3 are not electrically compatible. Grammatical error..otherwise, pics or GTFO.

EDIT: Yep, simple error, I'll show myself out now. :)

Setup the new system last night with the following results:

5960x @ 4.2GHz (1.25v)
Asus Deluxe X99 bios 0505
Corsair Vengence LPX 16GB 2666.
H80i closed loop cooler
Idle temp: 37c
Load Temp: 65c

Will GAME on it this weekend and run some more tests.

I was kind of teppid about using the H80i cooler and might have to upgrade to the H100i, but glad to see it is working out.

I was kind of teppid about using the H80i cooler and might have to upgrade to the H100i, but glad to see it is working out.

I don't think H100i is a big improvement over H80i, probably it doesn't worth the upgrade for a few degrees.

Why not try the H110 if you're going to upgrade? 280mm radiator might have issues with some cases, but if you can get it to fit, it's probably one of the best AIOs you can buy unless you can source a Swiftech H320 from Canada or somewhere.

Could also consider upgrading the stock fan(s) to some industrial grade Noctua fans if you're not super noise sensitive.

I don't have enough room for the H100i in my case. It is already crammed with output fans and my 295x2 cooler is mounted to the top of the case.

I am happy with the H80i so far.

DooKey, can you update the OP asking that people post their batches along with their OC? I just got my chip, but I don't have my R5E or ram yet.

Hmm still getting into the 80c range using prime95 max power usage mode at 4ghz. Maybe I need to remount the h80i heatsink. Out of curiosity what rpm do you guys run your h80/100 fans at under load?

I keep my 80i at default speeds. Never any need for me to adjust it, except for the LED color light on top of the CPU, lol.

What are you guys using to test your temps? I have 5820k on an x99 Deluxe with an H110 cooler but I am unsure if it is seated well. I am at [email protected] and I am hitting up to 87C in Prime95. It will idle at room temp though which is roughly 25C. Granted where my desk is located does not have all that great airflow but I would have though my temps would have been lower.

The Asus generic overclocking software gets up to 4.7 before it freezes and resets, then tries to set my default at 4.5 which gives me really high temps in Prime95. Maybe the Asus AI suite isn't accurate with CPU temps?

What are you guys using to test your temps? I have 5820k on an x99 Deluxe with an H110 cooler but I am unsure if it is seated well. I am at [email protected] and I am hitting up to 87C in Prime95. It will idle at room temp though which is roughly 25C. Granted where my desk is located does not have all that great airflow but I would have though my temps would have been lower.

The Asus generic overclocking software gets up to 4.7 before it freezes and resets, then tries to set my default at 4.5 which gives me really high temps in Prime95. Maybe the Asus AI suite isn't accurate with CPU temps?

looks like we are having the same issue, I am curious if the temp reading on mine is correct as I am reaching 80c+ with my 5930k as well under prime. Mine is only OC'd to 4ghz

looks like we are having the same issue, I am curious if the temp reading on mine is correct as I am reaching 80c+ with my 5930k as well under prime. Mine is only OC'd to 4ghz

frequency does not count, what is the vcore?

frequency does not count, what is the vcore?

who told you frequency does not matter?.. you can be at the same 1.2v (for example) with one at 4.2ghz and the other at 4.0ghz and even if you test at the same system and cooler the 4.2ghz will be hotter.. vcore matter of course but frequency too..

1.255 under prime. I have it to 4.2ghz now. I did have the same problem at 1.2 with only 4ghz though. I am using an h80i in a X99 classified btw

just a quick update, I ran prime again with new a new bios which cam out today and still same symptoms. Runs for about 10min 57-64c then pops up to 80-86c and I stop the test. I am going to reset my h80i now see if it helps

Last edited:
who told you frequency does not matter?.. you can be at the same 1.2v (for example) with one at 4.2ghz and the other at 4.0ghz and even if you test at the same system and cooler the 4.2ghz will be hotter.. vcore matter of course but frequency too..

at the same vcore, 4.2GHz and 4GHz may differ of few degrees, very few.
what makes high temperature is the vcore, not the frequency

1.255 under prime. I have it to 4.2ghz now. I did have the same problem at 1.2 with only 4ghz though. I am using an h80i in a X99 classified btw

just a quick update, I ran prime again with new a new bios which cam out today and still same symptoms. Runs for about 10min 57-64c then pops up to 80-86c and I stop the test. I am going to reset my h80i now see if it helps

86c is 19c under the tjmax, so has expert overclokers say, where is the problem?
86c should be very good, no reason to worry, right?

Let me know what happens after the re-seat. I may have to pick up some more thermal paste as I just used the stuff that came on the H110.

I did some gaming and video encoding today and my temps were never above 65C while doing these tasks. My system hits the high temps only with Prime95 but it doesn't actually freeze or throttle...so maybe Prime95 is not as useful as people think.

I would only worry guys if you are hitting 80+C while gaming or doing some encoding like stuff. When it comes to stress testing your daily temps won't come near what you are getting now. Besides that, a little unfortunate to see lower clocks then I hoped.

The x264 stress test has been pretty good to me for DC Haswell (not -E) CPUs, I haven't used Prime in a while to garner stability. If any of you want to try that out as a stability test.

Prime95 and other synthetic benchmarks have been known to slightly overvolt past what your OC is in order to draw every bit of power out of the CPU in an attempt to bring it to its knees. This type of synthetic is also unrealistic compared to real world scenarios (even at 100% load on all cores) as there is no hidden stress factor doing essentially nothing for performance.

I'm going to be posting my results soon but my temps are not nearly as bad as most / some of you.

I went with a 360mm radiator, the Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate. Have 6 fans running in a push - pull config with AS5 5 point spread.

At 4.5Ghz under load I'm only seeing 82 - 84c temps across all 8 cores on my 5960x.

I've been slowing taking screen shots, etc but I'm been lazy thee last handful of days on top of I bought an Apple Macbook Pro 15" for cheap off Craigslist and have been playing with it a lot.

Setup the new system last night with the following results:

5960x @ 4.2GHz (1.25v)
Asus Deluxe X99 bios 0505
Corsair Vengence LPX 16GB 2666.
H80i closed loop cooler
Idle temp: 37c
Load Temp: 65c

Will GAME on it this weekend and run some more tests.

Update: Was able to game on it a bunch this weekend. Temp never broke above 67c during the 6 hours I gamed on it so far this weekend.

Back