*** The Official [H]ard SuperPi Challenge ***

Go AMD. I'm a converted INTEL whore.

I played with a 3000+ 754, 3200+ 754, FX-55 130nm, 3000+ 90nm and now (my current) 3200+ 90nm. They all have been impressive chips. I've just now in the last 10 days or so starting playing with these 90nm cores. If your on a budget of any kind. Get you a 3000+ 90nm. My chip made it to 2.6ghz on air ALL DAY. This 3200+ 90nm i picked up today, is sitting pretty at 2.8 right now. Plus under really good cooling options, you can get these things on up into the 3.0ghz + range.

$160 = 3000+ 90nm = best bang for buck cuz they OC as fast as I.....well..uh....they are pretty fast.

And the 3200+ above is on a shitty 400w PSU i have. Not even using my good PSU with it.

gclg2000 said:
Go AMD. I'm a converted INTEL whore.

I played with a 3000+ 754, 3200+ 754, FX-55 130nm, 3000+ 90nm and now (my current) 3200+ 90nm. They all have been impressive chips. I've just now in the last 10 days or so starting playing with these 90nm cores. If your on a budget of any kind. Get you a 3000+ 90nm. My chip made it to 2.6ghz on air ALL DAY. This 3200+ 90nm i picked up today, is sitting pretty at 2.8 right now. Plus under really good cooling options, you can get these things on up into the 3.0ghz + range.

$160 = 3000+ 90nm = best bang for buck cuz they OC as fast as I.....well..uh....they are pretty fast.

And the 3200+ above is on a shitty 400w PSU i have. Not even using my good PSU with it.

I hate you, because since they're so cheap, that REALLY makes me want to grab a 3000+ winnie and sell my MAX3 to pay for a Neo2 Plat or Gigabyte board and try my luck at a 3GHz A64.....which would be that much sweeter with the almost sealed deal that I'll be picking up 2x512MB of Mushkin BH6 that I'll have running at around 250MHz 1:1 with 2-2-2-5 timings.

Well, considering selling my 3.4E would MORE then pay for a 3000+ I think you've ALmost sold me.......I jsut gotta think things through a bit more. Hell, the things are so cheap that if i hit a wall with the 300+ I could always move up to the 3200+ winnie and try out the higher multiplier. ;)

vapb400 said:
what motherboard are you gonna get for that 3.8GHz?

The problem is that the DFI 875P-T is having issues with the 570J right now and not "accepting" the 19x multiplier.....and the CPU would be so damned expensive that I'm seriously thinking now about just getting a 3200+ winnie and shooting for 2.8 - 3GHz and being happy.....as I could easily sell my 3.4E to pay for the 3200+, and selling the MAX3 I'd only have to throw in a small chunk of change for a mobo for the A64.

i was thinking you'd use the DFI, i heard about those multiplier issues too but they'll probably have them fixed soon.

Personally id go for the 3200+ or 3500+ and overclock like mad, would u go w/ an nforce3 to keep your godly fast x800?

and btw i spotted a brand new visiontek x800xt for 400 at a local store, if i bought that i should have no problems running pe speeds right? Or could i flash it w/ the visiontek pe bios just for the good feeling of it saying platinum?

vapb400 said:
i was thinking you'd use the DFI, i heard about those multiplier issues too but they'll probably have them fixed soon.

Personally id go for the 3200+ or 3500+ and overclock like mad, would u go w/ an nforce3 to keep your godly fast x800?

and btw i spotted a brand new visiontek x800xt for 400 at a local store, if i bought that i should have no problems running pe speeds right? Or could i flash it w/ the visiontek pe bios just for the good feeling of it saying platinum?

I'd just keep my "godly" XT-PE and move to the A64.....most likely either a 3500+ or 3200+ yes. What I might do is wait until my Visa gets here, and then buy teh new mobo and cpu first off......and get it installed.....and then sell the P4 and MAX3 to pay off about 90% of the balance in teh first couple weeks....which would not only look good on my record, but woudl save me from having any downtime between systems.

If you go for a standard XT you'll have a measely 20Mhz to make up on the core, and not a whole lot with the ram.....nothing that any card short of a COMPLETE dud wouldn't be able to pull off.....and I have yet to see a SINGLE standard xt NOT hit platinum speeds. Not really worth the BIOS flash IMO, but you can if you want, cus i can understand the want of having your screen say XT-PE. :D

Just wanted to explain the recent Intel time shift.....Sc4freak PM'd me his new, UNpatched SuperPi run......and I just wanted to make sure that we made it public so everyone knows what's going on with the results.

Superpi_unpatched.PNG

Yeah. I ran it the first time and got a pretty lousy score. So I went and fiddled with my BIOS and I think achieved a new overclock of 4.1ghz, hoping it would help lower my time. Guess not.

I'd better stress test this a little more, I'm not sure if it's entirely stable.

Sc4freak said:
Yeah. I ran it the first time and got a pretty lousy score. So I went and fiddled with my BIOS and I think achieved a new overclock of 4.1ghz, hoping it would help lower my time. Guess not.

I'd better stress test this a little more, I'm not sure if it's entirely stable.

While a lot of people will still go all out and stresstest their rigs with a 24hour Prime95 torture test....some people dont see the sense in that, when their games and everything that THEY personally do will run fine when Prime might find an error after 3 hours.

While I still encourage very stringent stresstesting, I'm also all for testing within your own means.....meaning, if what YOU wanna do works fine then so be it. The only problem I have with that form of stresstesting (playing Unreal2k4 for a few hours to call a clock stable) is that you never know when it might still lockup due to some unforseen reason......and stricter stresstesting with Prime95 or the likes will easily filter all of those occurances out, so that you never have to deal with anything on the fly.

Personally I still usually run through at least a 6-12hour Prime95 stresstest with my comp every time I'm trying out a new overclock.....and I'll make sure that "shes" fine for 12 hours to help me find my 24/7 overclock.....but I'll always push it further and find a speed that it'll do for all my benchmarks, anytime I want....and use that for benching.

Dunno why I got started on all that, but I'm done for now. :p

ok well I tried to run it and It everytime it starts it gives me this

"NOT CONVERGENT IN SQR05"

does anybody know what this is? why it does it? and how can I fix it?

Ph0s5ph0L1p1D said:
ok well I tried to run it and It everytime it starts it gives me this

"NOT CONVERGENT IN SQR05"

does anybody know what this is? why it does it? and how can I fix it?

that happens on mine when i overclock it too high. is your system overclocked? or stock?

yea It was overclocked too high... but I cant seem to get less than 30m 00s on my 4000+ @ 2.64GHz...

compslckr said:
that happens on mine when i overclock it too high. is your system overclocked? or stock?

Just what i was gonna say if I had gotten to this sooner......its due to an unstable overclock.....but not unstable enough to warrant a fullout lockup or system restart. It's kinda like in Prime95's torture test when nothing locks up or goes screwey, but it gives a rounding error when you're OC is a bit to high, and as you gradually lower the OC or rectify the problem....the rounding error is less and less "off" from what it expected.

You people shouldn't get your hopes up. I will just about gurantee you if you buy a 90nm 3000+ or 3200+ you WILL NOT get past 2.8ghz stable. And you *surely won't get to 3.0ghz on it with water.

* = i've played with 3 90nm cores, 130nm 3500+ and FX-55....the fx55 was THE ONLY one that could touch 3.0ghz under water. And it needed some tweaking to get there. The 90nm core itself is still the same...i think once they get to 2800mhz or so the heat just gets to much for them. You need vapo or fx55 on water to hit 3.0ghz in my opinion.

gclg, I agree, I have a 3200 on water oc'ed to 2.65, i could boot into windows at 2.8 but not prime stable. I could reach about the same speed with a 3000. Higher voltages don't do much good. These winnies are hard to get over 2.7-2.8 range...

I think water is unnecessary, air seems to be enough for normal ocing since these chips don't get terribly hot. I'd like to see what a winnie can do with a prommie tho.....

RollerX....it's nothing personal, I'd just like to see screenshots of both your patched and non-patched times at those clocks that you used to submit your previous time....or a newer submission if you'd like. I should have started asking for both results from Prescott users from the beginning, but oh well.

I mainly just want to double check what's going on....because you're running at a lower fsb then me by about 7, and are about 300Mhz slower on the CPU.....yet you're basically neck and neck with me......just wanted to see for myself if you were "accidently" running the patched version or if there's just something I'm missing with your time.

After this chip, and once i really get the cascade tweaked and charged with a really good gas on the 2nd stage.....like ethylene (R1150) as everyone talks about all the time. I'm going to go back to intel and get one of those 560J chips. Those are all making 5.0ghz pretty easy with cascade cooling.

cornelious0_0 said:
RollerX....it's nothing personal, I'd just like to see screenshots of both your patched and non-patched times at those clocks that you used to submit your previous time....or a newer submission if you'd like. I should have started asking for both results from Prescott users from the beginning, but oh well.

uh...I think you've got the wrong guy corn... :rolleyes:

Hi there guys.....and HAPPY NEW YEAR too...... :)

Shall I join.....?... :D

These benches where done with the below config......

Motherboard : ABIT AS8 full moded(VAGP-Vchip-Vfsb-VCore-Vdroop-heatsinks-caps-e.t.c.)
CPU : P4 3.6GHz
Ram : 2 x 256MB Kingston Value Ram DDR333(PC2700) with BH-6 chips onboard @ 2-5-2-2
Cooling : hi-pro-mmie with R410 gas (subzero cooling)
Extras : DDR Maximizer

This is an UNPATCHED one.....

Super_Pi_32M_unpatched_22.49min_4937MHz_png.png

....and this is a PATCHED one.....

Super_Pi_32M_patched_21.21min_4937MHz_png.png

I would prefair to put the UNPATCHED one to the Database so as to "play" equal.....Thanks......

hipro5 said:
Hi there guys.....and HAPPY NEW YEAR too...... :)

Shall I join.....?... :D

These benches where done with the below config......

Motherboard : ABIT AS8 full moded(VAGP-Vchip-Vfsb-VCore-Vdroop-heatsinks-caps-e.t.c.)
CPU : P4 3.6GHz
Ram : 2 x 256MB Kingston Value Ram DDR333(PC2700) with BH-6 chips onboard @ 2-5-2-2
Cooling : hi-pro-mmie with R410 gas (subzero cooling)
Extras : DDR Maximizer

This is an UNPATCHED one.....

Super_Pi_32M_unpatched_22.49min_4937MHz_png.png

....and this is a PATCHED one.....

Super_Pi_32M_patched_21.21min_4937MHz_png.png

I would prefair to put the UNPATCHED one to the Database so as to "play" equal.....Thanks......
Exxellent score Hipro...Did you use that mem. maximizer of yours.. ;) . I want to try it...

Wow, very nice to have you onboard hipro......welcome to MY playground. :D

Don't worry, it IS the unpatched scores that are getting posted up, its just that submitting both is the only "real" way to keep this somewhat fair.

Again, thx for stopping in.....check my post count and you can see where I spend most of my time......compared to my 100 some posts on XS. ;)

Haha, nice....way to pull ahead of James and take #1 overall. :D

Sure is nice to be dancin' with one of the greats.

hipro5 said:
Soon.........Very soon............ ;)

Good stuff, I was excited the first day I ever saw the thread at XS......and I desperately want to get my hands on one. For one, it'd save me having to do the VTT mod to the MAX3, and give me a VERY nice voltage ceiling......and if I get a Vapo LS I think I'll wanna switch to a 3.6E E0 with the DFI 875P-T......and some Xtreme voltage would be nice to combine with some 2-2-2-5 BH5 action, or some VX.

cornelious0_0 said:
Wow, very nice to have you onboard hipro......welcome to MY playground. :D

Don't worry, it IS the unpatched scores that are getting posted up, its just that submitting both is the only "real" way to keep this somewhat fair.

Again, thx for stopping in.....check my post count and you can see where I spend most of my time......compared to my 100 some posts on XS. ;)

Haha, nice....way to pull ahead of James and take #1 overall. :D

Sure is nice to be dancin' with one of the greats.

Thank you M8.......

You ARE here all the time I suppose..... :D

P.S. [off topic on]I don't know WHY I do love Canadian ppl......I think coz my wife is from Canada too and I love her.......One day I will for SURE visit Canada....I've heard so much from her....[/off topic off]

hipro5 said:
P.S. [off topic on]I don't know WHY I do love Canadian ppl......I think coz my wife is from Canada too and I love her.......One day I will for SURE visit Canada....I've heard so much from her....[/off topic off]

Be sure you end up somewhere around Saskatchewan when you do.....so you can stop in and say hi. ;) :cool:

wow, 5ghz..... :eek:

if I get a Vapo LS I think I'll wanna switch to a 3.6E E0 with the DFI 875P-T
Hey Corn, I thought you've finally come to your sense! lol

cornelious0_0 said:
Be sure you end up somewhere around Saskatchewan when you do.....so you can stop in and say hi. ;) :cool:

I'll try to......(I'll ask my wife tommorow where exaclty this is )...... ;)

Hey Corn, I thought you've finally come to your sense! lol

haha, yeah....well.....the 560J "E0" would only happen if I got a Vapo......but if this doesnt work out relatively soon I'm not gonna bother chasing any plans like this....so cross your fingers. ;)

I'll try to......(I'll ask my wife tommorow where exaclty this is )......

Hehe, can't blame you for not knowing I guess. :p

Hipro5..damn bro..i kinda figured u would pull a stunt like this and bust some bawls on super PI..i guess i was right ;) rock on brotha...u and your A64 eating 3.6 :cool:

BitchBreaker said:
Hipro5..damn bro..i kinda figured u would pull a stunt like this and bust some bawls on super PI..i guess i was right ;) rock on brotha...u and your A64 eating 3.6 :cool:

Hopefully I'll be able to make the same switch closer to spring if I stick with this rig and pull about a 5GHz clock out of it.....those E0's are sick overclockers. :D :cool:

Im trying to make the switch right now my self :) 3.2 775 on the DFI 875p-t mobo with my current ram,vd card, hdd's..and then ill build a 2 stage for it ;)

im now number 10 on the intel list :( time for me to pull a fast super PI time!.

BitchBreaker said:
Im trying to make the switch right now my self :) 3.2 775 on the DFI 875p-t mobo with my current ram,vd card, hdd's..and then ill build a 2 stage for it ;)

Gah, maybe I should look into what I'd need to even build a single stage PS system of my own.....

HEY........BITCH.........

Your not gonna let a wimpy 3000+ beat up on you are ya??

I also was able to make a trip to my supply store today and grab you 120" of 0.028" captube for your build. You should be able to use this on w/ 404, 22 and ethylene.

I think i may just skip out on putting this 3200+ on my build, and get rid of it. I'm really wanting to get one of those 3.6 775 chips.

Back