The Official [H]ard|Gaming Minecraft Server

Status
Not open for further replies.
The problem with huge community builds is that there's always a few people that build stupid ass builds smack in the middle of what everyone else is building. Without setting and enforcing rules, things just get stupid. Then when you have the rules people bitch about them.

It's a lose-lose for people who really enjoy building cohesive, structured builds.

I think the best idea is to set some basic rules and an area that is considered the core build area, and if you want to build something retarded or don't want to play by the rules, you can build in the outskirts.

Spawn area should be approved builds only IMHO.

Sure thing nk.

I will try the snapshot when i can.

Also with iconomy, we wont make dirt / stone / sand / gravel buyable. So no strip minIng Or deforestation.

Buyable is fine, we'd probably prefer people buy that kind of stuff rather than harvesting it. But for stuff that they can sell for money, we should keep basic non-renewable blocks out of the equation. For example dirt, stone, sand, etc would have no sell value, but could still be bought. To earn money people would have to sell things like crops, saplings, monster drops, etc.

I just got into MC the last few days. After playing around on a random server my little bro-in-law plays on, I came here to see if [H] had a server. Saw this, joined and figured out quickly that I'm restricted from doing anything in the server. It seems OP hasn't updated his original post in almost 4 months so does he still have to give us admin rights in order to build anything? I'm not even allowed to be hungry, lol.

Thanks for any help! Can't wait to play with fellow [H]'rs. I'm in the server now and it's totally empty, if someone will be on soon, I might still be in there exploring around :).

My post got buried quick. Quoted for assistance ;).

Admins:

Since there are weekly snapshot now with the new world format, I think maybe a few of us should get together on a test server and experiment with some seeds in creative mode and see if we can't find something that looks good? If that sounds good, lets set up a date and time and I will put up a server.

I will attend the festivities if you decide to do this.

So basicaly for mods

-warps( not too many )
-home
-lockette
-security features for admins only

I would really like to set up an iconomy with maybe a hardcraft stock exchange

The lava furnace mod is good as well. You still have to have resources to construct it, but makes it easier to get stone without burning though coal like crazy.

Oh and I also like the protcullius and drawbride mods. To me these add to the creative process.

My 2 cents.

IC

Can't wait to see the next installment of [H]craft. If as many players come back as they say, should be pretty awesome.

We have 30 plugins at the moment. About half of them are plugins people never really interact with. Those serve a purpose and will still be used in the future.

The following plugins affect gameplay in some way:
dropchest (may stop working eventually, last release was for build 1060 and we're up to 2000 now, will keep it probably)
voting for day/night/sunshine (may get rid of this)
gamemode (i restricted ops from giving creative mode, may use it again to restrict further)
creaturebox (pick up spawners and set them to something other than pig, might keep it)
goldentools (will likely not use this)
growbie (might not use this either)
lavafurnace (will keep this probably)
lockette (definitely keeping this)
repair mod (will keep probably)
myhome (keep for sure)
mywarp (keep for sure)
spawn (keep for sure)
retractablebridge (will probably keep)
fence door (will probably keep)
creeper nerf (might keep this)
whisper mod (don't think this even works lol, may look for another one)
soggy (wearing a pumpkin allows infinite breath, may keep)

I'll definitely consider iconomy. I might also consider completely restricting creative mode :eek: I would be the only with access to it and the ability to give it out.

We'll figure out a good seed and go with that when a decent build of 1.2 and some of our plugins come out. As usual, this will take time.

We have 30 plugins at the moment. About half of them are plugins people never really interact with. Those serve a purpose and will still be used in the future.

The following plugins affect gameplay in some way:
dropchest (may stop working eventually, last release was for build 1060 and we're up to 2000 now, will keep it probably)
voting for day/night/sunshine (may get rid of this)
gamemode (i restricted ops from giving creative mode, may use it again to restrict further)
creaturebox (pick up spawners and set them to something other than pig, might keep it)
goldentools (will likely not use this)
growbie (might not use this either)
lavafurnace (will keep this probably)
lockette (definitely keeping this)
repair mod (will keep probably)
myhome (keep for sure)
mywarp (keep for sure)
spawn (keep for sure)
retractablebridge (will probably keep)
fence door (will probably keep)
creeper nerf (might keep this)
whisper mod (don't think this even works lol, may look for another one)
soggy (wearing a pumpkin allows infinite breath, may keep)

I'll definitely consider iconomy. I might also consider completely restricting creative mode :eek: I would be the only with access to it and the ability to give it out.

We'll figure out a good seed and go with that when a decent build of 1.2 and some of our plugins come out. As usual, this will take time.
I'm actually fine with all of these staying, they don't effect gameplay in a major way and make things more enjoyable without unbalancing them, especially on survival mode.

Especially soggy, or there's no way in hell we're gonna build anything underwater :p

Agreed with restricting creative mode. Just cheapens things for everyone. Also agree with getting rid of a few of the gameplay altering mods. If we're going to be a Survival server, we should make it a Survival server. Having everyone vote away the night every time it comes, or nerfing the enemies, takes a lot of coolness and challenge out of building stuff in Survival.

A lot of the fun disappeared for me once everyone started using Creative mode and flying all over the place.

As far as admin permissions go, I think that we should really only be able to ban or approve people when needed and use LogBlocks or whatever to fix damage. I never found a legit use for the ability to spawn items.

if it was me ... i would remove ''unnatural'' mods.

Creaturebox
voting

i would nerf creeper only to not damage structure.

As far as admin permissions go, I think that we should really only be able to ban or approve people when needed and use LogBlocks or whatever to fix damage. I never found a legit use for the ability to spawn items.

Totally ok with this.

i would also like admin to have only power to Teleport to someone and not the other way around. And try to restrict the use in someways its not gamebreaking.

It really warm my hearth to see this thread so alive. People DO care !

if it was me ... i would remove ''unnatural'' mods.

Creaturebox
voting

i would nerf creeper only to not damage structure.

An alternative to creaturebox, why not just allow the spawner eggs to be bought if we do the economy thing. That way if you want to start a chicken coop or breeder machine, then you can just throw the egg instead of having to import them from all the way across the map. :p

If we get rid of voting then wouldn't the mod that allows everyone to sleep in a bed to make it day be okay to install? or is that in Vanilla?

NK is correct on the nerfing creeper idea: I say don't nerf them if you want this to be a survival server. The whole point in survival is to survive and rebuild your homes after creeper attacks. That is what the creepers are supposed to do and what makes them scary in the game. Also then what good are the cats then if you don't have to worry about creepers getting close to your builds?

I'm actually fine with all of these staying, they don't effect gameplay in a major way and make things more enjoyable without unbalancing them, especially on survival mode.

Especially soggy, or there's no way in hell we're gonna build anything underwater :p

Get economy, enable sponge functionality, works great for underwater stuff.

NK is correct on the nerfing creeper idea: I say don't nerf them if you want this to be a survival server. The whole point in survival is to survive and rebuild your homes after creeper attacks. That is what the creepers are supposed to do and what makes them scary in the game. Also then what good are the cats then if you don't have to worry about creepers getting close to your builds?

Yeah when we start getting into making part of the vanilla game essentially useless, it's sort of lame. We ought to use the tools they give us to deal with the challenges in the game. Lets face it, there aren't that many challenges, and creepers are one of the few.

Lighting, a cat, and a bow is all you'll really need. I don't think that's asking too much.

As far as seeds go, I've actually been trying a bunch in 12w07b snapshot and this version is pretty good about putting a lot of variety in biomes. Most of the ones I've tried have had at least one good sized biome of every type in the first 1k, save for mushrooms. If we generate and stick with a 2k map I don't see us ever running into an issue where we have a seed that lacks anything.

Three that I really like so far:

[H]
Equestria
arr4ws

Equestria
Heh... That's the seed I use on SSP. :D

I don't agree on the lessened world borders though. Forcing people to build next to each other is a recipe for drama. Some work well with others and others well... They need their space. ;)

As for mods here's my take:
dropchest - Keep: Saves on server lag, keep as long as it's supported.
voting for day/night/sunshine - Remove: Makes everyone complacent, we have beds.
gamemode - Keep
creaturebox - Remove: Too powerful, want a grinder find a dungeon and build it in place.
goldentools - Remove: Enchanting Tables made this redundant.
growbie - Remove
lavafurnace - Keep: Very balanced as you need diamond tools to build and lava source blocks for fuel. Good for large builds.
lockette - Keep
repair mod - Torn on this one... I like it but could do without.
myhome - Keep: Maybe add cool down timers so it's not a get out of jail free card?
mywarp - Keep: Same as myhome with cool down. Keep warp to a few key areas on the map.
spawn - Keep
retractablebridge - Keep
fence door - Is this portcullis mod? If so Keep.
creeper nerf - Remove: Makes game too easy, anything can be replaced/rebuilt. This is [H]!
whisper mod - Remove: Maybe get a more robust chat system?
soggy - Remove: We can enchant Helms now.

Last edited:
I kind of feel like we should use minecarts more as transportation instead of /home and /warps. I can see having the spawn where if we decide to do an economy then the shops could be there but getting around should really be either carts/boats or walking. Does anyone else feel this way?

Since using a bed will save your spawning location anyways, that could be your "/home"

I kind of feel like we should use minecarts more as transportation instead of /home and /warps. I can see having the spawn where if we decide to do an economy then the shops could be there but getting around should really be either carts/boats or walking. Does anyone else feel this way?

Since using a bed will save your spawning location anyways, that could be your "/home"
I'd be all for this. Keep in mind we could also use the nether for transportation too... Traveling 1m through the nether corresponds to 8m in the over world.

It seems like every attempt at a world wide cart transportation system always ends up either falling flat, or being abandoned halfway through...

Man, I'm a negative nelly, aren't I?

Sorry but I won't play if there isnt at least a /home warp... It would be way too difficult to go and gather materials for large builds, especially since your bed only works if you die. I would like to see carts used more often though, maybe limit the warps to central hubs only, and have carts to individual builds?

creeper nerf - Remove: Makes game too easy, anything can be replaced/rebuilt. This is [H]!

Am I the only one who sees the irony in a man who may as well be called "Mr. XP Grinder" calling out the creeper nerf mod for making the game "too easy"? ;)

Regardless, I disagree with removing the creeper nerf simply because the challenge of this game is not found in its hostile mobs but rather in your ability to create. Creepers challenge your patience but never your ability. You've never decided something was too difficult to build because of creepers, which is what a "challenging" game might make you think; If a game prevents you from doing something because you need to practice more, that's challenge. The only ability you have that Creepers challenge is your ability to spam RMB while holding a stack of torches.

I don't play as much as some others here, so if you guys decide to remove it then that's up to you, but that's how I feel about it.

Am I the only one who sees the irony in a man who may as well be called "Mr. XP Grinder" calling out the creeper nerf mod for making the game "too easy"? ;)

Regardless, I disagree with removing the creeper nerf simply because the challenge of this game is not found in its hostile mobs but rather in your ability to create. Creepers challenge your patience but never your ability. You've never decided something was too difficult to build because of creepers, which is what a "challenging" game might make you think; If a game prevents you from doing something because you need to practice more, that's challenge. The only ability you have that Creepers challenge is your ability to spam RMB while holding a stack of torches.

I don't play as much as some others here, so if you guys decide to remove it then that's up to you, but that's how I feel about it.

I disagree with this, but only to a point. I always consider proper lighting and defense when starting a new build. While it certainly makes me rage quit when it happens, having a creeper take out part of my build is a valuable lesson learned.

That said, I certainly would enjoy not having to worry too much about rebuilding a part of my build. Especially when it happens near a tricky area that I had trouble building in the first place.

I'm glad everyone is posting their opinions. Just keep in mind that you might not get everything that you want, even if a majority want it.

I understand why people don't want too many warps. I agree that there are way too many now. I may keep warps but only let myself create warps. That way something really important can still have a warp (like the end). I'll also look for something like minecart mania so we can build a rail system somewhat easier or just make it part of the economy.

I'm about 99.9% sure I want to keep myhome. The ability to invite others and /home after finding diamonds is huge. A delay might wok but I'm hesitant about that because I'm impatient myself.

I'm glad everyone is posting their opinions. Just keep in mind that you might not get everything that you want, even if a majority want it.

I understand why people don't want too many warps. I agree that there are way too many now. I may keep warps but only let myself create warps. That way something really important can still have a warp (like the end). I'll also look for something like minecart mania so we can build a rail system somewhat easier or just make it part of the economy.

I'm about 99.9% sure I want to keep myhome. The ability to invite others and /home after finding diamonds is huge. A delay might wok but I'm hesitant about that because I'm impatient myself.

No problems with the home stuff here. We can set the warm up time to like 3-5 seconds. It's not a big enough of a delay to really bother people, but its enough that people can't just make a macro that hits it as soon as they catch sight of an enemy. There should be SOME risk in going underground.

As far as warps, I think we should do what we talked about doing before, where warps only go to building hubs where 3 or more people have builds.

Someone mentioned the idea of using the Nether for travel. I've tried that and it only works for very distant locations, since the portals have to be at least 128 blocks apart in the Nether (which equates to 1024 blocks in the real world) to have unique endpoints. Otherwise they start linking up to each other and it doesn't work out very well.

Last edited:
on a side note, if i install a snapshot will i still be able to play on the server without doing anything special?

on a side note, if i install a snapshot will i still be able to play on the server without doing anything special?

No. You'll have the wrong version. You have to swap back and forth or have two Minecraft copies.

Found a cool way to test out seeds here

It doesn't give you the whole picture, but it does let you figure out what all your biomes are gonna be out to any arbitrary size. Works with the latest snapshot too.

Here's an album of some seeds I tested.

Screenshots are approximately what a 4k by 4k map would cover.

It doesn't give you the whole picture, but it does let you figure out what all your biomes are gonna be out to any arbitrary size. Works with the latest snapshot too.

I like the first one a LOT. Seems to be a very diverse loadout.

I like the two seeds:
arr4ws
derpyhooves

lmao derpyhooves

Yes. And you failed to note that I would also like creature box removed as well as that also makes things "too easy". As it stands now anyone can make an XP grinder anywhere they want with as many spawners they can shove in there.
Someone mentioned the idea of using the Nether for travel. I've tried that and it only works for very distant locations, since the portals have to be at least 128 blocks apart in the Nether (which equates to 1024 blocks in the real world) to have unique endpoints. Otherwise they start linking up to each other and it doesn't work out very well.
There are ways to fix that. I've successfully moved a portal that was only 300 blocks away in the over world (Almost on top of each other in the Nether). As long as you have the new portal in the correct xz coordinates that correspond to the portal in the over world it'll work fine.

Last edited:
The thing that I don't like about using nether as transportation is that then there will be a lot of portals everywhere. I can see using minecarts in the nether to get to far places but not to just make a portal every so many blocks.

i told you... Arr4ws seeds are the best!

but seriously , the landscape looks interesting.

I do like the arr4ws and derpyhooves seeds, nice diveristy of the biomes.

Oh and NKDietrich must be a brony :p

Not that there is anything wrong with that. :D

I've found some potential plugins that could help with building a more useful rail system without making it too easy.

I do like the idea of iConomy but it hasn't been updated in a long time. The last time it was updated was for build 1337 and bukkit is on build 1943 now. Apparently it still works but there are bugs and it might stop working altogether at any future update. We'll see how it goes between now and the release of 1.2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back