*** The Official [H]ard ARC ***

tsuehpsyde said:
Glad you got your threads back. ;)

As am I...now I'm once again overwhelmed with the time I'm putting into my Venice's overclock.

I started at 200x9 and went all the way up to 329x9 (my sig overclock) to find out the lowest possible stable voltage I needed for each 5htt increment as reference points. The reason behind that is that now I'm going to go back to 200x9 using my 1M stable voltage and start to scale up 5htt at a time to find my max 32M stable overclock, and the votlage required for each step along the way.

After all that is eventually done I'll take my max stable 32M OC and fine tune it for Prime95 stability...and will be aiming at about 12 hours worth.

I don't plan on upgrading my CPU anytime soon, and will be putting it under a chilly1 single stage phase change unit this fall...so I figured I might as well do this as thouroughly as possible. ;)

I also can't take it anymore...with all that I have on the go right now, I'm WAY to tempted to pickup even just a 6800GT so that I can have a nice gaming rig again. That'd let me mod another NV5 Silencer as I had my first one and start to have some fun with 3D01 and AM3 again.....I'm getting a little frustrated with not being able to do any 3D testing with this Cirrus Logic PCI. :mad:

Well, you shoulda kept that hella-strong X800XT:pE you had. :( But, on another note, new parts are fun because you never know how high it'll go.

I'm seriously debating either a Vapo or a Prommy...but it'll take my by Fall to get one. I want to upgrade to a 3700+ newark for my board, and possibly go after Conrad's WR for s754 highest clock. :p But, that'd take a good chip, and a dickload of work...but I definately need something new cooking in my box. I may be able to get it upwards of 2.62GHz or 2.65GHz MAYBE for a 75K score, but I'd need some luck and time...and have to remove my AC from my wall again, which is a pain. A newark would be crazy fun though...with his pretty weak 6800GT (doens't overclock well at all), eclipse beat my AM3 score by simply cranking up his CPU...I think his GT might have even been at stock clocks too...such a monster of a processor on s754.

I'm also waiting to see what ATi comes out with for next gen...if it completely smashes nVidia, I might actually go ATi even tho I'm a total nV fan-boy. :p But if you're dying for a videocard....wait a month to see what new cards nVidia comes out with...a 6800GT should be pretty cheap when all the new hot stuff comes out. Hell, if I can get a 6800NU for like $200 when the new stuff comes out, I might pick one up for shits and try for 16x6 and have a nice backup card. I need to figure out how to get more out of my 6800U, because 1.5v diddn't give me any more clockspeed...only instability and heat.

Well, considering I'm stuck with PCI-E now, my old X800XT-PE wouldnt be doing me any good. I'm gonna be picking up the Asus 6200 128M Gamer Edition or Gigabyte 6200 128MB fairly soon to mod to a 6600GT...because after that $150 purchase I'm waiting until both "sides" have their next gen on the table. I'm no !!!!!!, but I still have a very strong feeling that the X900XT is gonna be the card to have...but again, WAY to early to tell...I just prefer ATI and I guess I'm gunnin' for 'em.

After the 6200, my next purchase for the system is going to be 2x512MB of GSkill 4800LA so that I can actually GAME and finally get rid of my pagefile. After the ram (I hope to have the chasis of my case completed and painted so that I can actually use it) I'm gonna pick up my first single stage phase change unit for the CPU...to put me up around 3.2 or 3.3GHz benchable with my Venice. By the time I've got the ram and the first phase unit, the X900XT and 7800GTX (and Ultra) should be well available, and I'll be able to make a more educated decision on the video card...which is the purchase coming after the first phase changer. After I have the card I'm picking up another phase unit (for the X900XT) and voltmodding the X900XT to push it to its limits.....

So yeah, I do have everything planned out, I have no real intention to upgrade my Venice, as it'll be taking me to 3.2 for sure on phase change...so my order of purchases will be:

Asus/Gigabyte 6200.....2x512MB GSkill PC4800LA.....(first) phase change unit (for the cpu).....X900XT/7800GTX or Ultra.....(second) phase change unit (for the video card).

It's sure gonna be a fun time.....I'll be happy enough to get the video card and ram so that I have a much smoother running rig and can switch over the Server 2003 X64 edition for my main partition...everything else after that is gonna be for fun, but having the dual phase changers coolin' my Venice and GFX card is sure gonna be fun. :cool:

Well, GTX = Ultra...the GT will still be used as a tag. How they figure GTX > Ultra is beyond me....there's talk of the Ultra moniker being used again later-on as a 32-pipe refresh. And yeah, I forgot about PCI-E...if I do go 939, I'd go 939 with the DFI NF3 Ultra if they ever release it. Also, I sense a 3700+ in your future at some point. ;)

Well, GTX = Ultra...the GT will still be used as a tag.

It's not...there has been/was talk of an actual "Ultra" model beyond the GTX....with a higher core clock for sure. Without having any final details, I'm going to assume there'll be about the same kind of performance difference between the GTX and Ultra as there is between the current GT and Ultra.

Also, I sense a 3700+ in your future at some point.

I dunno, the 1MB of cache would be nice, but I'd rather keep my 3000+ Venice. Think of it this way...which is more impressive...a 3.3GHz 3000+ for daily use, or an SD....

I wanna keep the Venice, just 'cus the scores I'd still be able to pump out at those clocks /w 512kb of cache would be nice...and me and a friend are going for the 3DMark2001 Top10 for sure once we get his DryIce up and running.

Yeah, pick up a 6200 to game in the meantime. There are some great games out right now. It'd be a shame to miss out. Oh, and don't be afraid of a refurb card to tide you over. My $200 X800Pro was a refurb and is bench stable up to 585/580 on stock volts and stock cooling. Pretty good for a refurb IMO. My old X800Pro AGP (non-refurb) could only get to 545/545 in stock form.

I've had both Nvidia card and ATI cards. I'll only buy ATI cards these days because of their absolutely great driver support.

cornelious0_0 said:
I'd rather keep my 3000+ Venice. Think of it this way...which is more impressive...a 3.3GHz 3000+ for daily use, or an SD....

I own an SD that will only do about 3.15 to 3.2 under phase change, so I vote you keep the Venice

Yeah, pick up a 6200 to game in the meantime. There are some great games out right now. It'd be a shame to miss out.

I know...not even so much new stuff....but I've got SUCH an urge to play some games right now...and the modded 6200 OC'd with an NV5 will at least keep me happy.

I would just pickup an X800XT and be happy, but I'm gonna wait and pickup the X900XT so that I'm (more) good to go for Unreal3 engine titles in the not-so-distant future.

Oh...and San Andreas is calling my name...and I'm getting REALLY impatient not being able to game. :mad:

16.3K cpu score :) ...

screenshot1003ww.jpg

tsuehpsyde said:
I R teh jealous. :eek: :D

Good call...you and me both brother.

Well, if I could get my hands on a decent card I'd be pumpin' out some nice scores..as my 3000+ Venice is benchable at 2.96GHz /w air cooling @ 1.600v, and I really wanna see what it'll do. :cool:

Very nice bro....gives me hope that with my 3000+ Venice on a chilly1 single stager (on which I know I'll be benching at 3.2GHz for sure) and an X800XT voltmodded and running at 650+ core I'll be breaking 100k for sure...

Probly still gonna wait though, I have plans to pickup a Gigabyte 6200, mod it to a 6600GT and get it some decent air cooling for fun...to see what I can do with that thing in AM3, and 3d01/03/05.

Thanks. My card is still stock with stock cooling. I'm lagging on putting in my water loop and modding :D The card is truely a beast though, i'm hoping with some mods to push 700 core, we'll see though.

bubblethumper said:
warm up the thread, here come the 7800s

Couldn't be more right on that one. I wish I had the money to have the "fun" of being the first to bench with it...meh, still waiting on ATi's shit and the nV refresh if they do that...then see if I can still wait for M2 or not. :)

No kidding...I wish I had cash, but I'm waiting on the X900XT either way. Actually might be rebuilding my comp in the Lian-Li PC-800 (desktop case) with a PCP&C 510W and X900XT.....running on air 24/7 and then dryice for benching...gonna be fun. :cool:

Well, as much as I <3 my 754 platform, I need more day to day performance as well as some higher benches, so I'll be getting a DFI NF3 Ultra along with a 3000+ Venice off of baron once he gets his dual cores....that's as long as his venice hits 2.7GHz stable on air. If not, then I'll buy a new one and hope I hit lucky like Corn. Hoping to bench 2.9GHz+ on air with cold air in it's face, but we'll see. The only real way to help out my current is a 3700+ newark, which would give the same performance but cost more than both a new board and Venice...plus I should know what my chip will do before I get it. :D My current problems are A. My MSI board doesn't have high enough VDIMM options and I don't wanna attempt to solder-mod it, and B. The lower Newark's don't reach very high...they reach about the same as a clawhammer if a LITTLE bit better, whereas the 3700+ is crazy nice...too bad I have a semi-bunk clawhammer...eclipse's 3200+ runs the same speeds of my 3400+. :mad:

I also plan on getting some 2-2-2 memory like TwinMOS SP, but now I can't find the damn stuff anywhere! Only place I've seen is Newegg with 256MB sticks. :mad: But, I'll get 2 of those if I need to becasue 512MB does well for most benching, and I'll use TCCD for day to day and/or benching.... My end hope is 300x9 for 2.7GHz stable day to day, and hoping for somewhere around 330x9 benchable, maybe 1:1 if my TCCD has enough balls, or on a divider. Money's been tight lately so being able to have this much flexibility for this little money and keep all my parts is really exciting, so I apologise if I'm babbling. :D

Now to see if I can get the RAID to go over...

Cat 5.6's are nice.

Seems so, same GFX clocks and a marginally faster CPU.....2k gain.....kicka$$. Congrats on the Top3....you're doing VERY well considering your GPU clocks compared to James' old score....here's to hopin' that you find it in your heart to treat that X850 right and come up with some benches at 650+ on the GPU.....get moddin'. :cool:

Well, as much as I <3 my 754 platform, I need more day to day performance as well as some higher benches, so I'll be getting a DFI NF3 Ultra along with a 3000+ Venice off of baron once he gets his dual cores....that's as long as his venice hits 2.7GHz stable on air. If not, then I'll buy a new one and hope I hit lucky like Corn. Hoping to bench 2.9GHz+ on air with cold air in it's face, but we'll see.

I feel your pain...I'm almost always struggling with the same debates for more performance, or at least higher benchies.

If you can, I'd wait on that other chip to see what it does....newer/more recent steppings on 3000+ and 3200+ Venice chips have not been doing NEARLY as well on the overclocking side of things as some of the (even slightly) earlier steppings.

Good luck with whatever you end up going with, but don't get your hopes up.....check out the Venice, Stepping and Oc Database over at XS and you'll see that at the same voltage/with the same cooling, there really isn't a whole lot to compare my chip to, I did get quite lucky.

Well, I'll see what baron's does...I mean, if it doesn't make sense I'm not trying it. Figures the first line of chips kicked ass but the recent ones are going the way of CBBID. :mad:

Thought I'd submit my latest scores from my new setup before the 7800 scores start rolling in. Should be good enough to slide into 5th place

Still needs some tweaking (i.e. volt-modding)

Kinda funny that my current setup beats my "extreme" P4 setup with a full-blown X800XTPE and 16-pipes

centvalny said:
Any 7800GTX score yet? :D . Top 2 arc ran with those monsters...( #1 and 2 are fake)

No kidding.....I don't work 'till the afternoon tomorrow....I'll probly shoot Kyle an email to get the ARC and ORB pimped on teh front page again now that the 7800's are upon us.

Well, on the upside, it seems with ~1.52v, my 3000+ Venice will do 2.7GHz Prime stable. :D Paired with my TCCD and possibly some TwinMOS SP CH-5, I might sneak onto this list yet. CPU is overnight priming now to see how stable she is...baron was nice enought to let me do the majority of the testing, but at 2.7GHz she hit 1M SuperPI at exactly 32 seconds flat (32.000). He offered to run other tests, but I wanted to save them for later, so I got more of a "new processor explore time" experience. :) That, and I think he's ancy to put in that dual core. :p

http://img57.imageshack.us/img57/9532/primed27003ji.png

tsuehpsyde said:
Well, on the upside, it seems with ~1.52v, my 3000+ Venice will do 2.7GHz Prime stable. :D Paired with my TCCD and possibly some TwinMOS SP CH-5, I might sneak onto this list yet. CPU is overnight priming now to see how stable she is...baron was nice enought to let me do the majority of the testing, but at 2.7GHz she hit 1M SuperPI at exactly 32 seconds flat (32.000). He offered to run other tests, but I wanted to save them for later, so I got more of a "new processor explore time" experience. :) That, and I think he's ancy to put in that dual core. :p

http://img57.imageshack.us/img57/9532/primed27003ji.png

Cool stuff, keep us updated. :cool:

Well when he first setup prime95 it hardlocked after like one minute (who knows, lots of stuff needs tweaked at 300HTT ;)) so he just did 1.53v, and here was the result.

http://img242.imageshack.us/my.php?image=primed27002ch.jpg

I'm thinking this chip is gonna be some fun. :D I think it's the best week 19 chip seen so far, as the other two from that week in the revision E thread kinda sucked.

Got the new system up and running..so far on stock cooling 88,415
3500+ venice @ 2.81ghz
x850xt @ 591//627
Dfi nf4 Ultra-D

-- hopefully with some tweaking i can get in the top 10 on stock cooling, if not my water chiller should get me in there no problem :cool:

Trippy said:
Got the new system up and running..so far on stock cooling 88,415
3500+ venice @ 2.81ghz
x850xt @ 591//627
Dfi nf4 Ultra-D

-- hopefully with some tweaking i can get in the top 10 on stock cooling, if not my water chiller should get me in there no problem :cool:

Hey bro...this who I think it is? :p

Back