The Official Guild Wars 2 thread

The lower level mobs can drop loot appropriate to your higher level to. Not sure if that is intentional or not. Had a level 13 item drop off a level 7 mob.

This is intentional. They scale your stats down to the lower level and give you rewards appropriate to your level or something to that effect.

PvP thoughts:
- I was on the rank 1 American GvG guild (GW1 season 1)
Wait are you talking about Eternum Pariah or am I thinking about a different season? I understand that iQ was the one that actually made it to the world bracket, but EP was the top seed for the region (and I believe traded with EviL and WM on the world rankings)
ugh I should have put those in one post.

Wait are you talking about Eternum Pariah or am I thinking about a different season? I understand that iQ was the one that actually made it to the world bracket, but EP was the top seed for the region (and I believe traded with EviL and WM on the world rankings)

It was EP. Most of us had started playing another MMO in the month leading up to the NA playoffs. It definitely showed during the tournament when we barely made it past the quarters and got rolled in the semis.

Have they set a release date yet?

June rumored, but not seen anything official.

Seen some games release with less quality than GW2 has now. Having said that, there are enough bugs that they need to address before launch. Maybe one or two more beta weekend cycles are needed to test some higher level PVE content.

had fun even thought with my system it was 25-40ish FPS, i understand its not optimized. Story was a blas and environment were beautiful, felt like i was playing EQ1 for the first time, it was understandable about the server crash and such which shortened game play for me, other thatn that if they keep up the good job it look like a winner to me.

I'm wishing I'd had more time to play during the alotted time, now... Would really prefer they just kept the servers up if they can, take them down unannounced if necessary, rather than this "beta weekend" business. Maybe the beta will change "formats" before official release. One can hope.

Was interested, until I found out the cash shop is basically paying for an advantage. No thanks.

Not for pvp and everything else is meaningless :D

Can you provide me with a quote that supports "Defensive Boosters" will not be usable in WvW and PvP? And what exactly do you mean "Everything else is meaningless", getting boosters that increase xp or karma earned by %50 sounds like an advantage to me.

I'm sorry what advantage is that? You can get a +50% karma boost in PvP. Big whoop.

This and it's not really going to affect anything.

Can you provide me with a quote that supports "Defensive Boosters" will not be usable in WvW and PvP? And what exactly do you mean "Everything else is meaningless", getting boosters that increase xp or karma earned by %50 sounds like an advantage to me.

I'm not really too worried about it, but even if I was, gems can be traded for gold, so all items in the cash shop can be bought without spending any real money.

Last edited:
Was interested, until I found out the cash shop is basically paying for an advantage. No thanks.

Question is: Are you hardcore or casual? Are you willing to spend money on a non-subscription game? How much per month?

Also, purchased items are not going to be a big boost. Keys to unlock chests? Karma and XP bonuses? So OP..

Not having to farm for keys, pretty good and maybe worth it, but not a game breaker, items equivalent to normal drops.
Farming karma is easy, I had enough by each purchasing level to buy the items I wanted, and I wasn't trying.
Increased XP, again not a biggie. Will XP gains be useful past max level? Even in Rift where post max level XP allowed your character to get more powerful, it wasn't a game breaker.

/becoming a fanboy?

LOL there is no paid advantage with the cash shop, sooo armor dye is an advantage? XP and Karma boosts and advantage? umm how?

June rumored, but not seen anything official.

Seen some games release with less quality than GW2 has now. Having said that, there are enough bugs that they need to address before launch. Maybe one or two more beta weekend cycles are needed to test some higher level PVE content.

doubtful for June release. read my impressions of the game. its 2-3 months away at the very earliest IMO.

i rather they get this game 98% polished before it hit retails.

lol @ all the people who think nobody pays big $$$ for games, FYI people drop 1000's of USD on Path of Exile beta, a game that isn't even close to being done an for zero advantage of any kind in the game. You guys can dance around all day with "It's not REALLY an advantage". Bottom line, you pay money and get xp faster than other players who don't, that is an advantage.

lol @ all the people who think nobody pays big $$$ for games, FYI people drop 1000's of USD on Path of Exile beta, a game that isn't even close to being done an for zero advantage of any kind in the game. You guys can dance around all day with "It's not REALLY an advantage". Bottom line, you pay money and get xp faster than other players who don't, that is an advantage.

Exp hardly matters in the long run. If you want to hit 80 faster, go ahead. It's not going to break the game for everyone else.

I've had plenty of experience with cash shop games. GW2 is as tame as it gets, seriously.

Is it a competition to be the first to level up? How does someone leveling faster than you affect you?

Is it a competition to be the first to level up? How does someone leveling faster than you affect you?

Goes along the line of that if I play more than you, I level up faster and more often than you. If you pay for the XP and Karma bonus, good for you. I'd like to enjoy the game I have and play it for a long time and have fun with it. I don't want to speed run it. Whatever floats your boat. But anyways, my point is, someone leveling up faster than you is not really a perk as it is just something relative.

Hope that made sense haha.

What kind of performance are you guys getting with the game? I've heard that it can be a complete CPU hog at times (i.e WvW).

What I'd like to know is what kind of GPU would be enough to run this game smoothly @1080p and whether a quad CPU is needed for it or a dual would be enough (Intel Sandy/Ivy bridge).

I sold my rig so thinking about building a new one mostly for this game and a few others.

What kind of performance are you guys getting with the game? I've heard that it can be a complete CPU hog at times (i.e WvW).

What I'd like to know is what kind of GPU would be enough to run this game smoothly @1080p and whether a quad CPU is needed for it or a dual would be enough (Intel Sandy/Ivy bridge).

I sold my rig so thinking about building a new one mostly for this game and a few others.

They've said multiple time that they're still working on optimization. They've mentioned that current builds are almost always CPU bound. They have not said how the release optimization will be, but judging by what they did with GW it should probably be fine on a dual. This is just a wild guess because again, the game is not done.

You can do the same with zero money if you so choose. All the options available for money can be bought via gems.

They've said multiple time that they're still working on optimization. They've mentioned that current builds are almost always CPU bound. They have not said how the release optimization will be, but judging by what they did with GW it should probably be fine on a dual. This is just a wild guess because again, the game is not done.

my i52500k and gtx570 were having a hard time.. pvping though it was like a constant 90fps so idk

the game for sure needs optimization though. im sure that it will be a much smoother ride at release

my i52500k and gtx570 were having a hard time.. pvping though it was like a constant 90fps so idk

the game for sure needs optimization though. im sure that it will be a much smoother ride at release

I wouldn't sweat it. Vega with his 5ghz i7 and 3 680gtx was getting ~60fps... Game needs to be optimized. Until than it will not play optimal on any setup.

As far as the cash shop goes and GW2 it seems to be the best of both worlds. Yes, the cash shop will allow you to level faster and buy more rares faster, but GW2 is built on making the best stat available weapons easily accessible to everyone. On top of that, GW2 auto equalizes people. Being lvl 80 in a lvl 50 area wont help you.

I like the cash shop setup because it give people who don't have a lot of time a way to keep up with the die hard players without giving them an unfair advantage. It also reduces scamming since GW2 is the person selling. It also will make the game better (hopefully) since they will have more money to spend on in game features.

GW2 is on track to do a cash shop right. Of course they have to give some incentive to people who buy stuff or they wont buy stuff. As long as this incentive doesn't get to the point where if you don't buy you are a disadvantage I don't see a problem with it.

The xp boost is only from the mobs you kill(20xp or so). The mobs only account for a TINY percentage of leveling. You would get far more xp from doing dynamic events than grinding mobs with some boost. You also did not acknowledge the fact that you can trade gems for gold, but I honestly don't know you nor care if you buy the game, just don't spread ignorant uninformed dumbassery.

Some screenshots:

GW2_4.jpg

GW2_3.jpg

GW2_2.jpg

GW2_1.jpg

GW2_7.jpg

GW2_6.jpg

GW2_5.jpg

Beautiful screenshots, Intel_Hydralisk. Really makes me want to do a 3-monitor setup, but the wife would probably kill me.

Back