The Official GTX980/970 OC & Benchmark Perf. Thread

Yes, 980 sli should be able to run witcher 3 fine at 1440p, so 1200 seems easy enough.

will my GTX980 SLI be able to maxout The Witcher 3 at 1200p?
this is the big question.

I hope that it will support SLI at least since CD Project are famous to not support SLI at game launch.

I confirm that my rig push TW3 from 70 to 95FPS maxedout at 1200p

Odd things are happening with 980 prices in the UK since the launch of the 980ti and the supposed $ price drop of the 980.
My 980 card was previously £450, it is now £545.
Other cards are holding their value instead of dropping.

Wha?

uk has always been like that, the retailers follow supply and demand rather than recommended RRP.

Managed to get both my 980s at a healthy +117 clock and +500 stable without increasing anything other than power target. The top card closes in on TDP quick though, throwing voltage at it and trying for more does nothing but throttling. This has been my top graphics score so far, overall score being held back by my processor running at 4.2, it takes WAY too much voltage and runs immensely hotter to get anything remotely close to stable at 4.4 or 4.5.

Running the new beta driver to fix TDR issues, ready for the next official one to come out so they can start being valid results.

Pw1cRFR.jpg

All graphics cards are @ stock. The 980Ti pair is consistently roughly 33 percent faster than my Crossfire R9-290X:
Heaven.png

Radeon%20290x%20heaven.png

The machines aren't identical, but processors and Heaven settings are identical between the machines. The R9 pair did better than I thought they would with extreme tesselation enabled.

Last edited:
Hi all,
I have system freeze during playing games.

The CPU/RAM seems stable under every synthetics, I tried running the system at stock frequency but the system still freeze after some hours of gaming.
The only components that I don't set to stock frequency are my two EVGA GTX980 SuperClocked (I don't added any overclock to the one made by EVGA), do you think that a system freeze may be related to the overclocked cards?

Hi all,
I have system freeze during playing games.

The CPU/RAM seems stable under every synthetics, I tried running the system at stock frequency but the system still freeze after some hours of gaming.
The only components that I don't set to stock frequency are my two EVGA GTX980 SuperClocked (I don't added any overclock to the one made by EVGA), do you think that a system freeze may be related to the overclocked cards?

Yes.
Easiest way to tell if its driver related or clock speed/heat/power related is to slow the cards down and see if the crashes lessen/stop or if they continue.

They could be the cause or triggering another reason for the problem, like too much system heat or PSU is on its limit.
Do the test first to see which direction to progress.

For example, I get an occasional crash in TW3 with my 980ti (like once an hour).
I started reducing clocks but they didnt stop.
So now I put the clocks back up and just have an occasional crash, one of those things for now.

Yes.
Easiest way to tell if its driver related or clock speed/heat/power related is to slow the cards down and see if the crashes lessen/stop or if they continue.

They could be the cause or triggering another reason for the problem, like too much system heat or PSU is on its limit.
Do the test first to see which direction to progress.

For example, I get an occasional crash in TW3 with my 980ti (like once an hour).
I started reducing clocks but they didnt stop.
So now I put the clocks back up and just have an occasional crash, one of those things for now.

I'm sure that is not PSU related since I have a Corsair AX860i and the load is no where near the maximum wattage supported by my PSU.

I reduced core and memory frequency by 200MHz.
200MHz are a lot but I just wanted to be sure.
Freeze stopped.
This means that cards are the reason of the freeze. But why?
I bought EVGA SuperClocked just to get tested cards not just to get clocked cards that can't handle the factory overclock. Should I RMA my cards?

Overclocking and running SLI are a known problem combination.
Just overclocking should have stability verified but you appear to not have a care for this.

I mentioned some possible reasons why the freeze can occur, have you done any further investigation?
There is no mention of what you have done to ensure they are functioning properly.
Its up to you to troubleshoot and if you have, tell us what you have tried.

You should not be considering returning them until you know they are faulty.

Overclocking and running SLI are a known problem combination.
Just overclocking should have stability verified but you appear to not have a care for this.

I mentioned some possible reasons why the freeze can occur, have you done any further investigation?
There is no mention of what you have done to ensure they are functioning properly.
Its up to you to troubleshoot and if you have, tell us what you have tried.

You should not be considering returning them until you know they are faulty.

plase, read what I wrote on the post up to yours.
I downclocked the cards by 200MHz and the system freeze solved, this means that the factory overclock of the cards are the problem. don't you agree?
thank you.

No I dont agree, I already explained why.

I asked what you had done "further".
You then asked why they could be the cause of the problem which I had already stated in my first post.
I said that so you would be clear that the cards can cause other problems without being faulty which you ignored.
I have to wonder if its worth saying anything more.

You said you overclocked one of the cards.
You didnt mention the stock speed, the overclock speed or the max temp it reaches.
You havent stated how you made sure it was stable.

What are the max idle and load temps of the GPUs?
What is the max idle and load temp of the CPU?

No I dont agree, I already explained why.

I asked what you had done "further".
You then asked why they could be the cause of the problem which I had already stated in my first post.
I said that so you would be clear that the cards can cause other problems without being faulty which you ignored.
I have to wonder if its worth saying anything more.

You said you overclocked one of the cards.
You didnt mention the stock speed, the overclock speed or the max temp it reaches.
You havent stated how you made sure it was stable.

What are the max idle and load temps of the GPUs?
What is the max idle and load temp of the CPU?

I don't overclocked any cards, I have two EVGA GTX980 SC that are factory overclocked and I was using them with the factory overclock.

Temperature are ok on both CPU and GPUs.
My CPU does not go over 65°c, it idle at 40°c because of my fan policy,
my GPUs does not go over 82°c on the hottest one and they idle at 32°c and 36°c with the fan spinning at around 1100RPM.

I have two EVGA GTX980 SC that in factory are clocked at
1241MHz Base Clock
1342MHz Boost Clock

I donwclocked the cards at
1126MHz Base Clock
1216MHz Boost Clock

and I have no freeze after the downlclock.
with the clocked cards I can't play more than one hour without a freeze, with downclocked cards I can play for hours without any freeze.

what else can be if not the factory overclock of the cards?

I don't overclocked any cards, I have two EVGA GTX980 SC that are factory overclocked and I was using them with the factory overclock.
Ah, thats not what you said in your first post, it was a bit confusing.
You hinted that the gfx cards are overclocked.
The stock speed is the speed they come as.

The standard 980 card speed is called reference clock speed.

Temperature are ok on both CPU and GPUs.
My CPU does not go over 65°c, it idle at 40°c because of my fan policy,
my GPUs does not go over 82°c on the hottest one and they idle at 32°c and 36°c with the fan spinning at around 1100RPM.
CPU temp looks ok, GPU temp is too high.
I suspect your case cooling isnt good enough for SLI and/or you havent increased the fan speed.

I have two EVGA GTX980 SC that in factory are clocked at
1241MHz Base Clock
1342MHz Boost Clock

I donwclocked the cards at
1126MHz Base Clock
1216MHz Boost Clock

and I have no freeze after the downlclock.
with the clocked cards I can't play more than one hour without a freeze, with downclocked cards I can play for hours without any freeze.

what else can be if not the factory overclock of the cards?

The cards are in SLI so will get hotter, this requires decent case air flow and maybe a fan blowing directly on them.
You may also need to increase the fan speeds under load.

Ah, thats not what you said in your first post, it was a bit confusing.
You hinted that the gfx cards are overclocked.
The stock speed is the speed they come as.

The standard 980 card speed is called reference clock speed.

CPU temp looks ok, GPU temp is too high.
I suspect your case cooling isnt good enough for SLI and/or you havent increased the fan speed.

The cards are in SLI so will get hotter, this requires decent case air flow and maybe a fan blowing directly on them.
You may also need to increase the fan speeds under load.

82°c are not too hot since 80c is the desired temperature.
in any case I cannot understand why I should act on fans, does the firmware is so stupid to get the cards hot and don't higher the fan rpm?
yes, it is so stupid. this is the last factory overclocked card I buy, I tought something better from EVGA.

I see on the web that there are a lot of people who get this problem with GTX980 SC,
is there a way to RMA my two factory bugged cards for working cards like GTX980 Ti?

If you arent prepared to even try and get them working, I cant help you.

82°c are not too hot since 80c is the desired temperature.
in any case I cannot understand why I should act on fans, does the firmware is so stupid to get the cards hot and don't higher the fan rpm?
yes, it is so stupid. this is the last factory overclocked card I buy, I tought something better from EVGA.

I see on the web that there are a lot of people who get this problem with GTX980 SC,
is there a way to RMA my two factory bugged cards for working cards like GTX980 Ti?

82c is fine, that's about what stock ref. 980s run in SLI on default fan profile.

You need to get in touch with EVGA on this. I have two ref. 980s and they boost 1410/7900 no problem.

On their own, my primary card OCs pretty well, and the second one not so much.

I've never had a problem with crashing that wasn't a known driver issue, had them since launch week.

Edit: Whoops, never-mind. Was looking for the 980 Ti thread, didn't realize this was the 970/980 thread.

Last edited:
Back