The Official GTX980/970 OC & Benchmark Perf. Thread

Lord_Exodia

Supreme [H]ardness
As the title says, post pics of your stable overclocks. Benchmark Runs etc...

Also anyone noticing anything like throttling on the cards based on Temp or Power Limit walls.

I've read in another thread where a user believes he kept getting to the threshold of the GTX 970 TDP and his card would undervolt and downlock. Any result and hands on info here would be appreciated too and that's for either card.

I'm surprised no one has done this type of thread yet. Have fun and Post some impressive numbers people :D

i benched all day with my new 980's and with speeds around 1480/7600 it never throttled once it actually never hit 75c with 70% fan and it stayed at 1.200v
Was actually surprised that there was zero throttling specially in Valley 1.0,
Valley was nightmare for my Titans even with custom bios would throttle.

Overall great cards and nice little upgrade over Original Titans very fun to overclock feels like they have no limit,

I have the SC versions so as soon as i installed them i just moved the +100 on GPU and i thought something is wrong with my RivaTunerStatistics OSD i just could not believe how stable they where at 1500mhz right of the bat, that i thought the OSD was reporting wrong numbers i was in shock after fighting for 1.5yr getting my Titans stable at 1110mhz i had to reboot the system and make sure that RivaTuner was reporting right numbers :)

i benched all day with my new 980's and with speeds around 1480/7600 it never throttled once it actually never hit 75c with 70% fan and it stayed at 1.200v
I have the SC versions so as soon as i installed them i just moved the +100 on GPU and i thought something is wrong with my RivaTunerStatistics OSD i just could not believe how stable they where at 1500mhz right of the bat, that i thought the OSD was reporting wrong numbers i was in shock after fighting for 1.5yr getting my Titans stable at 1110mhz i had to reboot the system and make sure that RivaTuner was reporting right numbers :)

I assume you have EVGA cards. May I ask which exact model(s)? I have to say that's extremely impressive to have 1500+ on both cards running in SLi. Can't wait to see the fps numbers & can't wait for my single :eek: 970 to come in

Wow that's impressive. I have a pair of EVGA vanilla 980s arriving monday. Hopefully I'm lucky with them too. I wonder if the throttling may be a GTX 970 thing since their TDP is 20 watts lower than the 165 watt GTX 980 TDP, even bumping the power up to 125% you may eventaully hit a wall. It'll be a shame if on the 970s that wall comes before the card's potential is fully tapped. Jury is still out on that one.

Regardless 970 still seems like a winner with the price/performance.

I'll update this thread with my results soon.

On my (working of the pair) eVGA GTX 970 SC ACX 1.0, ~1430 core + 8200mem for me before I hit the TDP limit consistently if I try to up voltage (I can only get to ~1.187v with these speeds without hitting it and being able to watch the clocks and volts work themselves down during a gaming session). ASIC score is a hilariously paltry 59.0% :(.

Sending them back for a cheaper pair of MSI GTX 970 Gamings that have been confirmed to not be hitting the power limiter. Those are due in for me Thursday... :D.

I've seen most people getting results of 1500-1550mhz+ cores with high (8ghz+) memory overclocks on ocUK and OCN so far on the 970/980 cards, though... extremely promising.

And then there's this (trust me, it's worth the click!):

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1834517

The Tom's review seemed to be pretty pessimistic about these cards under continuous load. Something about them drawing more power than Kepler or whatever.

I assume you have EVGA cards. May I ask which exact model(s)? I have to say that's extremely impressive to have 1500+ on both cards running in SLi. Can't wait to see the fps numbers & can't wait for my single :eek: 970 to come in

I have 2x eVGA 980 SC Superclocked

Wow that's impressive. I have a pair of EVGA vanilla 980s arriving monday. Hopefully I'm lucky with them too. I wonder if the throttling may be a GTX 970 thing since their TDP is 20 watts lower than the 165 watt GTX 980 TDP, even bumping the power up to 125% you may eventaully hit a wall. It'll be a shame if on the 970s that wall comes before the card's potential is fully tapped. Jury is still out on that one.

Regardless 970 still seems like a winner with the price/performance.

I'll update this thread with my results soon.

Yeah looks like throttling its more with 970 i yet have to hear one with 980 at 1500mhz to throttle which is damn impresive

My asic score are 73.8 and 73.5 consecutive serial nr i just picked them up at my local store on first day i just could not pass them staring at me was suprised they had them in stock.
Was ready yet again to pass this cards in favor of my titans but im glad i got them

W0ot my cards have been delivered, unfortunately I'm at work. I can't wait to put them through their paces.

I plan to do the following when I get home;

1. Test 1st card, Max OC, stability temps etc..

2. Test 2nd card by itself same

3. Go SLi and repeat.

Anyone have any recommended benchmark and stress tests that they swear by?

I'm planning to post some pics and screenshots here to get things kicked off on this thread.

I'm sure many are in the same boat as me and bought their cards on launch day, so more than likely today will be the day that people are getting their cards.

I'm glad others got lucky and got them sooner but I believe most will be playing with them starting today.

The two tests I have found to most quickly crash or artifact would be Tomb Raider's built-in benchmark, Heaven 4.0. The former usually will artifact quickly on a too-high OC (and much sooner than most games I've tried to test with) while the latter tends to crash outright within 1-10 seconds if it's going to on a too-high OC.

I'm glad others got lucky and got them sooner but I believe most will be playing with them starting today.

Not sure I'd call myself lucky :eek: ! But I am anxiously awaiting thursday for the GTX 970 MSI Gaming pair to arrive :).

I'm really interesting in seeing what Afterburner and PrecisionX settings people are using.
My 980 should be here tomorrow, so I'll try to play around with OC'ing if I have time.

Here's someone else's MSI Gaming GTX 970 OC'd, since I have to live vicariously until my new pair of cards (those are what I ordered) arrive thursday :p... he's hitting the power limit and you can even see the clocks dipping during the run on the graph there. Can't wait for a new nvflash so we can put on modded BIOS'es, hopefully by the time my replacements arrive...

Og07xAN.jpg

1580mhz core, 8120mhz mem there with 110% power target and 1.2430v on the core...

Here are my results, have not hit peak yet for gpu, running 3.44.16 beta drivers. Vanilla evga 980 using Precision X to oc. +228 Clock pffset +290 Mem offset

gpu.jpg

Last edited:
What are you guys using to overclock, afterburner, precision X, or something else?

As Domingo asked what settings are you guys using for Core and Memory

Basically

Core +???
Memory +???

Here's what I'd like to do to keep things in perspective for all of us participating and anyone just watching.

We should post our scores, in the following benchmarks; Tomb Raider, Fire Strike, <--- What others do you guys suggest
We should also post our clocks for core, memory, and voltage used.
The OC program we used and what our settings were.
A screenshot will suffice for Core/Mem/Voltage (Optional)

I'll update this in the OP once we all come to a consensus as to what benches & things we should use.

Suggestions?

Last edited:
Hey guys, I have an EVGA GTX 980 Superclocked (Reference Cooler) - does anyone have this card and if so can they tell me how well they've overclocked it?

I want to overclock my card to get a good boost but I don't want to push it in any way whatsoever (not for now, at least). I want a safe OC, something I shouldn't even have to test.

edit: I'm an idiot. These are EVGA SC ACX 1.0

uEsXM69.gif

QcmJSYh.gif

This is what I'm running with right now. In Afterburner, this is what it looks like (too lazy to SS it):
Voltage: +37
Power Limit: 110
Core: +120
Memory: +510

It's rock solid in BF4, but I was getting artifacts in Star Citizen (not sure if it was an SLI issue or not, because those persisted even when I went back to base clocks) and The Witcher 2.

Here's my Valley scores (again, way too lazy to SS it):

Unigine Valley Benchmark 1.0

FPS:
Score:
Min FPS:
Max FPS:
System

Platform:
Windows 8 (build 9200) 64bit
CPU model:
Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz (3401MHz) x4
GPU model:
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 9.18.13.4416 (4095MB) x2
Settings

Render:
Direct3D11
Mode:
2560x1440 8xAA fullscreen
Preset
Custom
Quality
Ultra

Although those might have been from slightly higher clocks.

As you can see from the GPU Z screens, the top card is only drawing 1.1750 V, while the bottom card is pulling 1.2000 V. And the bottom card is also getting some voltage warnings/errors. Luckily I have ordered a pair of MSI cards from Amazon, so these EVGAs will be going back to Microcenter whenever they arrive. Hopefully I can bump my core up significantly with the higher voltage.

Last edited:
Hey guys, I have an EVGA GTX 980 Superclocked (Reference Cooler) - does anyone have this card and if so can they tell me how well they've overclocked it?

I want to overclock my card to get a good boost but I don't want to push it in any way whatsoever (not for now, at least). I want a safe OC, something I shouldn't even have to test.

I have the EVGA Vanilla GTX 980 (100% reference)

You should download Afterburner or install Precision X from the CD (hopefully it's the newest version) <-- otherwise you can download the latest version of Precision X.

What I would do is set a custom Fan Curve to be a little bit more aggressive than stock settings while your experimenting with the overclocking. It should be fine but it's not a bad idea. You can deal with Noise later. I bumped my voltage to the max I think it was +87mv if I remember correctly, then I Set the power to 125%. After that you'll need to test your memory and Boost clock for stability. Memory can be all over the place as some people get a great overclock on that and some don't.

I would set an on screen monitor for core clock to show on screen, voltage to show on screen, Temp to show on screen, Memory speed to show on screen etc... Run some benchmarks. I think 1450 is the minimum I would start with since I have yet to see a GTX 980 not be able to run 1450 stable. I have been out of the game for about 3 years and last did this whole thing 3 years ago with my GTX 680s.

So it's kind of new to me too ;)

Heaven 4.0, and Futuremarks 3d Mark 2012(or 2013 I forget) is what I believe most use to test for stability.

This is what I'm running with right now. In Afterburner, this is what it looks like (too lazy to SS it):
Voltage: +37
Power Limit: 110
Core: +120
Memory: +510

It's rock solid in BF4, but I was getting artifacts in Star Citizen (not sure if it was an SLI issue or not, because those persisted even when I went back to base clocks) and The Witcher 2.

Here's my Valley scores (again, way too lazy to SS it):

Unigine Valley Benchmark 1.0

FPS:
Score:
Min FPS:
Max FPS:
System

Platform:
Windows 8 (build 9200) 64bit
CPU model:
Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz (3401MHz) x4
GPU model:
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 9.18.13.4416 (4095MB) x2
Settings

Render:
Direct3D11
Mode:
2560x1440 8xAA fullscreen
Preset
Custom
Quality
Ultra

Although those might have been from slightly higher clocks.

Nice Valley score, but I'm surprised at how low the Min FPS got - would have expected it to be a bit higher. Anyone have results for a pair of 980's? I'm expecting the 970 SLI to bracket in a 780Ti SLI setup, with the 980 SLI slightly edging past the 780Ti's.

Edit: Ahh, now I see. It looks like you weren't running the "Extreme HD" benching preset for Valley. That explains the lower min FPS number. Try re-running and using the Extreme HD preset within Valley - that way its more apples to apples when comparing the benchmark results! ;)

Here's my Valley run with my 780Ti's - note they are overclocked though!
EK%20Blocked%20SLI%20780Ti%208.jpg

Can anyone with a new 980 setup post their Valley score? I'm curious as to how much faster the min/max FPS will be. Thanks!

Last edited:
I thought I should post this here and at the same time get help on a quick issue that came up.

I installed my first GTX 980 yesterday and ran a heaven run. Right away I hit 1515Mhz core and I forgot what memory clock but it was high.

I was impressed with that and I didn't even try to do much tweaking. There was no throttling and it was solid. Impressed so far.

Power @ +125, Voltage Max allowed, Software MSI afterburner

Forgot + core/Mem settings.

More to come on that

Problem I ran into
Admittedly I didn't google search this issue. Heaven 4.0 refuses to run at full screen on the single monitor I was running it on. 1920x1080 @ 120hz. Is it a 120hz thing or how can I fix that.

I tick the box for full screen, I select 1920x1080 in the drop down box.

When it launches I get some error that it could not run full screen for some reason.

I'll update more when I get home and have my rig in front of me I guess, but with that info does anyone have any ideas?

I have the EVGA Vanilla GTX 980 (100% reference)

You should download Afterburner or install Precision X from the CD (hopefully it's the newest version) <-- otherwise you can download the latest version of Precision X.

What I would do is set a custom Fan Curve to be a little bit more aggressive than stock settings while your experimenting with the overclocking. It should be fine but it's not a bad idea. You can deal with Noise later. I bumped my voltage to the max I think it was +87mv if I remember correctly, then I Set the power to 125%. After that you'll need to test your memory and Boost clock for stability. Memory can be all over the place as some people get a great overclock on that and some don't.

I would set an on screen monitor for core clock to show on screen, voltage to show on screen, Temp to show on screen, Memory speed to show on screen etc... Run some benchmarks. I think 1450 is the minimum I would start with since I have yet to see a GTX 980 not be able to run 1450 stable. I have been out of the game for about 3 years and last did this whole thing 3 years ago with my GTX 680s.

So it's kind of new to me too ;)

Heaven 4.0, and Futuremarks 3d Mark 2012(or 2013 I forget) is what I believe most use to test for stability.

Thanks man...I suppose being an early adopter, I should do some self testing to make some information available to other users. I'll start messing OCing using the methods you've described and report back tomorrow. It'd be really cool if we got a profile list or chart or something, you know, a compiled list of what 980's people have, and how far they've been able to push them.

It'd be really cool if we got a profile list or chart or something, you know, a compiled list of what 980's people have, and how far they've been able to push them.

That's not Bad I might just do that, kind of like a spreadsheet in the OP with the name of the user, card make/model/clocks/scores.

Top performers from the top down.

Hmm. Kind of like our own 3d mark record list. :)

Cards at 1450/7800 with system in my signature, power limit @ 112 and no voltage bump just at default.

test1_zps1fa19f7b.jpg

test2_zps24e64fb8.jpg

so comparing your scores to superchared_z06's it looks like an OC'd 980 is roughly equivalent to dual titans. Hmm, interesting.

That's not Bad I might just do that, kind of like a spreadsheet in the OP with the name of the user, card make/model/clocks/scores.

Top performers from the top down.

Hmm. Kind of like our own 3d mark record list. :)

If you don't, I will attempt, I think that'd be extremely useful :)

So I've just plugged in my 980, haven't had any time to do any proper fine tuning but leaving the memory at stock I've bumped the core clock up to +200 in afterburner with a 125% power limit, seems to boost around 1466-1478. I get the feeling once I can attach an all in one to it with a bracket this thing will be insane.

Using some quick measurements fire strike extreme shows the GPU score sitting between my 680 SLI setup at stock and the same setup overclocked to 115 on the core which is what i was more or less expecting. Crysis 3 is a noticeably smoother experience to (no numbers).

Cards at 1450/7800 with system in my signature, power limit @ 112 and no voltage bump just at default.

test1_zps1fa19f7b.jpg

Thanks for the post! Looks like OC'ed 980's have a bit more ummph as to max FPS, but are pretty evenly matched as to overall performance when compared to my OC'ed 780Ti's - at least where the Valley benchmark "Extreme HD" setting is concerned. For what it's worth, I'm pushing an older gen i7 CPU as well, but average FPS performance in Valley is pretty much spot-on identical between our two rigs.

I got two MSI 970 Gamings today and did some very quick individual testing. I'm happy with the results.

GPU 1:
74.6% asic
1.212v
1550mhz fire strike/valley stable
1570mhz driver crashed in valley

GPU 2:
77% asic
1.206v
1600mhz fire strike/valley stable
1630mhz driver crashed in valley

The boost clock dips a few times in the fire strike graphic test one. I saw 106% of 110% power target at those moments in afterburner. In the second test it holds the max boost clock.

11877 fire strike

I'm going to put MCW82s on them later this week.

Okay so update. I fixed my full screen heaven 4.0 issue.

I'm happy to report that both of my cards overclock beyond 1500 Boost and 8000mhz memory but not much beyond. I was hoping I'd get in that ballpark though so I'm very happy.:)

Now onto some weirdness. Both my cards are same model evga vanilla GTX 980s, both have the same bios but once I put them in SLi I noticed that one is running at 1.162 vcore and the other at 1.250 when I boost vcore to the max. Afterburner has the sync like gpu's enabled in the settings

My second tested card actually seems like a better overclocker I put that one in the top slot, but I'm not sure which of the 2 has the higher vcore being reported. I ran out of time but tomorrow after work I'll put one in at a time to see if it happens when the cards are alone. I want to find out which is the culprit.

Both cards report in GPU-Z Bios 84.04.1F.00.80. Strange :confused:

Card 1 default boost clock with power @ 125% is 1253
Card 2 default boost clock with power @ 125% is 1291

That's strange too

Thanks for the post! Looks like OC'ed 980's have a bit more ummph as to max FPS, but are pretty evenly matched as to overall performance when compared to my OC'ed 780Ti's - at least where the Valley benchmark "Extreme HD" setting is concerned. For what it's worth, I'm pushing an older gen i7 CPU as well, but average FPS performance in Valley is pretty much spot-on identical between our two rigs.

Can you try Heaven 4 benchmark i would like to see what you get with your 780Ti's compared to my score above, thanks.

Clocked the 980 up to 1500mhz boost 7560mhz mem. Not bad so far for a reference card (Galax). I really want to see these things under water.

Here's Heaven 4.0 with my 780Ti's - again, very close as to your 980's SLI performance gamingarena23. (Ya got me on max FPS, but overall I'd say they are nearly identical in performance.)

Heaven.jpg

I got my 980 last night and got to play around a little bit.

In Afterburner I set the clock to +200 and RAM to +650 and finished with a 3DMark score of 11950. I ran it 4-5 times and did get one lock-up, although I think it's because I messed up the setting for my fan.

What are some other people using?

I got my 980 last night and got to play around a little bit.

In Afterburner I set the clock to +200 and RAM to +650 and finished with a 3DMark score of 11950. I ran it 4-5 times and did get one lock-up, although I think it's because I messed up the setting for my fan.

What are some other people using?

One one of my cards +200 gets me 1514mhz boost. On the other I need to set +235 to get 1501mhz boost. It's strange but I'm still trying to figure that out. Both cards are reporting a different Vcore when in SLi. I'm going to check them each alone to see what I find.

The card with the +200 @1514 seems to overclock better so it might be the one with the higher voltage of the 2

So far I've run heaven, furmark, fire strike with both cards at +1500 gpu and 8000mhz vram and they run smooth. I have some more tweaking and testing to do tonight. I'm using afterburner btw.

Here's Heaven 4.0 with my 780Ti's - again, very close as to your 980's SLI performance gamingarena23. (Ya got me on max FPS, but overall I'd say they are nearly identical in performance.)

Thanks for that, damn that so close that neck to neck applies here perfectly :)

Just quick question what are the clocks of your Ti cards?
im running with default voltage and no tweaks like HT off and whatever people are doing to boost there scores, i just run the test in the same environment as i play 24/7.

980's are definitely faster then my Original Titans not the Black at 1110mhz that was the max i could get on them.

Just want to figure out what clocks 780ti needs to be like that on par with 1450/7800mhz 980'sGTX

The thing is 980's are not doing that great in Valley and Heaven compared to real world gaming, going by scores i got in Valley and Heaven compared to my titans you would think they are on par but in real games i see around 20-25% improvement on average, from Tomb Raider, Crysis 3, BF4, Metro etc.. some games show even more delta.

Last edited:
Back