The official feeling left out club

m3ta1head

777
Joined
Feb 22, 2006
Messages
6,346
Running an Opteron 148 @ 3ghz on my DFI...but I'm feeling quite left out with AM2 and Core 2 Duo...

Anyone else feel the same? I feel like I'm not on top of things anymore :(
 

spicey

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Aug 27, 2004
Messages
4,227
I'm certainly not on top of things anymore, but I don't feel left out. As long as my machine runs well and plays games at 1280 x 1024 with everything on then I'm happy enough.
 

Borgschulze

2[H]4U
Joined
Feb 28, 2005
Messages
3,579
I'm feeling left out because Danger Den doesn't check their packages before they seal and ship them out to the retailers.

No barbs for my pump still...

Otherwise, I'd like to play around with DDR2 on a Sempron.
 

GonzoP

2[H]4U
Joined
Jul 3, 2006
Messages
3,660
Oh boo-who look at my rig :(
At any rate we might as well all tough it out until we can leap frog the dual core boys with our quads eh ;)
 

wee96

2[H]4U
Joined
Sep 5, 2005
Messages
2,165
GonzoP said:
Oh boo-who look at my rig :(
At any rate we might as well all tough it out until we can leap frog the dual core boys with our quads eh ;)

Stone age! :D
 

w1retap

[H]F Junkie
Joined
Jul 17, 2006
Messages
13,271
I feel left out as well.. :( BUT, I am working on a fix for it though. :) I'm building my new rig up right now. I have almost everything besides the core hardware. (mobo/proc/ram/vid) So far I'm just keeping myself busy by lightly modding my V1000B case with all the watercooling components that are going in it. Still unsure what I'm going with though. AM2 or Core2.. hrm... I'm leaning toward AM2 because I'm not totally impressed with the new Intel Core2 benchmarks for how hyped up it is. I mean, you only get a 20% performance margin on the higher end comparable priced processors, and when it equates down to real world usage, no current apps/games even really take full advantage of every computing aspect of the cpu. I doubt I would see much of a big enough difference between AM2 and Core2 to justify switching over to Intel. Core2 was talked up to be Intel's newest mindblowing technology, and it just left me pretty unimpressed. I am still waiting for more official real world benchmarks though before I make my decision on price for performance and performance per wattage ratings.
 

Jakalwarrior

2[H]4U
Joined
Aug 6, 2005
Messages
3,189
I feel left out, but its a video card issue :/ 9800pro still, stock clocks (Refurb horrible clocker)
 

duby229

2[H]4U
Joined
May 1, 2005
Messages
3,014
Well, that is just the way the whistle blows.... Technology usually doesnt stay on top for three years, that is almost an eternity in the computer business.....
 

(cf)Eclipse

Freelance Overclocker
Joined
Feb 18, 2003
Messages
30,027
Borgschulze said:
I'm feeling left out because Danger Den doesn't check their packages before they seal and ship them out to the retailers.
you're not the only one with a problem with DD... my tdx was leaking slowly when i got it, and now i can't get it to fit on an lga775 board. LAME! :eek: :D
 

Willsonman

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Jun 11, 2005
Messages
1,195
well, Kind of... I just got my new pelt rig up and running and really feel left out with just one core but not so much with new socket or new architecture. Tried to butter up the wife for a new opty 165 but was shot down... Take my advise... if you want toys and are a little impatient... dont get married, go to school for two degrees at the same time, work, and have a baby at the same time. It just does not work financially for toys. Oh well... living a more important dream than playing all the time. :)
 

spicey

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Aug 27, 2004
Messages
4,227
Willsonman said:
well, Kind of... I just got my new pelt rig up and running and really feel left out with just one core but not so much with new socket or new architecture. Tried to butter up the wife for a new opty 165 but was shot down... Take my advise... if you want toys and are a little impatient... dont get married, go to school for two degrees at the same time, work, and have a baby at the same time. It just does not work financially for toys. Oh well... living a more important dream than playing all the time. :)

Too true. Marriage and upgrades go together like oil and water. My last HDD upgrade I did on the quiet, I pretended the old one had died (sold it eBay) and bought a faster one! ;)
 
Joined
Oct 25, 2005
Messages
725
Yes, being married really puts the upgrades in slow motion. But somehow, i can't buy a new monitor, but we "need" a dresser and a new bed frame. I have had the hardest time convincing my wife that house upgrades fall into to the "your" purchases not the "us" purchases. That's how i justify my upgrades. She buys a new bed frame, which I can live without, and i buy a new monitor.
 

Jordan1

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Nov 1, 2005
Messages
1,733
As long as it does what I want it to do there is no reason (well, most of the time :D) to go out and buy whatever is the latest and greatest.
 
Joined
Jan 13, 2006
Messages
3,254
spicey said:
I'm certainly not on top of things anymore, but I don't feel left out. As long as my machine runs well and plays games at 1280 x 1024 with everything on then I'm happy enough.

QFT!
 
Joined
Jun 20, 2006
Messages
56
Yeah, i'm waiting for socket f to build a new tyan thunder mega-machine :)

Right now i'm sitting on an opteron 142 system (ex-watercooled - failed on me two weeks ago, came home and the resevoir was dry, no water in the case, it disappeared) with just a ATI x1600 pro AGP on an Asus SK8N. Oh the horror
 

DruSi3r

Gawd
Joined
Nov 4, 2002
Messages
937
i can still play everything on high 12x10 but i think i want more. Can any1 point to some benchies at that rez comparing opteron and X2 to what i have on 939? at 2.7 i think i bench just below a fx55 so i dont really think its worth it as i only really play games on this machine. i could care less about burning a dvd while playing CSS (i dont download that much porn) but if i can find some data showing real world advantages id be interested
 

joemama

[H]F Junkie
Joined
Sep 13, 2000
Messages
9,576
Daaaamn! I have an Opty 148@ 2.5 but if I had gotten to 3.0 like you did I probably wouldn't have pulled the trigger on the X2 4400+ yesterday. :p
 

m3ta1head

777
Joined
Feb 22, 2006
Messages
6,346
joemama said:
Daaaamn! I have an Opty 148@ 2.5 but if I had gotten to 3.0 like you did I probably wouldn't have pulled the trigger on the X2 4400+ yesterday. :p

That's really low for a 148. You must have gotten terrible stepping.
 

BrownThunder

2[H]4U
Joined
Jul 31, 2005
Messages
2,365
Im stuck feeling left out because if I do go conroe or AM2, it'll mean a new processor, motherboard, and ram. If I get a 6600 or 5000+ X2 with a good mobo and ram, it'll cost around $650. The problem lies in the fact that I ALSO want to get the westinghouse 37" LCD for my monitor. I just can't decide which one to go with :(

I do need a new motherboard and processor though, this DFI board is falling apart and my 3700+ Sandy doesnt cut it IMO.
 

Zoogle

Gawd
Joined
Oct 11, 2005
Messages
752
Compared to most people's systems, mine is a POS...but, I'm still quite satisfied with it. A lot better than my previous rig. Even that one is still decent (except for the videocard..). 2500+ XP-M, DFI nF2 Ultra, 1GB HyperX, Ti4600...completely fanless system to boot. I still use it as my schoolwork computer. I don't feel left out at all really...unless games and apps start to require me to have those high end procs.
 

mrmagoo_83

2[H]4U
Joined
Aug 8, 2002
Messages
3,068
Left out...yea that describes it. I need a new wallet cause mine has a hole in it that seems to drip all my money into my wife's purse.

I too had to sneak in my last hard drive upgrade.
Had to upgrade CPU for school (XP 1800 to XP 3000) Yes, I know, I am way up there in terms of speed these days.
Had to upgrade Vid Card cause other went poof.
Mouse died.
Headphones died.

But in the end my system still sucks, and my wife doesn't like the idea of me upgrading, but you know, its time for me to get some of what I want ;)
 

BigMacAttack

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Jan 5, 2006
Messages
1,563
Left out by choice is the way I am. I'm still plugging along quite nicely on my skt 754 3400+ Venice, (see sig) thanks very much. I'm just sitting here by the side of the road watching the freak show as every Tom, Dick and Harry with more money then sense goes blasting by in search of the "hottest deal". Its kinda funny sometimes. :p
 

nhusby

Limp Gawd
Joined
May 1, 2006
Messages
303
I feel left out... check my sig....

I've been gaming on my laptop and x-box for stuff it wont handle...
my laptop is 1.4GHz Centrino w 512MB DDR and a radeon 9200M
 

4330thgink

Gawd
Joined
Mar 8, 2001
Messages
654
BarneyGumble said:
Yes, being married really puts the upgrades in slow motion. But somehow, i can't buy a new monitor, but we "need" a dresser and a new bed frame. I have had the hardest time convincing my wife that house upgrades fall into to the "your" purchases not the "us" purchases. That's how i justify my upgrades. She buys a new bed frame, which I can live without, and i buy a new monitor.

Glad there's someone else out there that feels the same way.. I'm glad (sorta) my ex cheated and left.. now I can buy all the PC parts that I can afford without having to go buy her a new dress, 6 pairs of shoes, and a new necklace for each of my PC upgrades. No new joint purchases like couches that never get sat on, or dressers as you had mentioned, kitchen stuff for the awful food she created.
 

wee96

2[H]4U
Joined
Sep 5, 2005
Messages
2,165
BarneyGumble said:
Yes, being married really puts the upgrades in slow motion. But somehow, i can't buy a new monitor, but we "need" a dresser and a new bed frame. I have had the hardest time convincing my wife that house upgrades fall into to the "your" purchases not the "us" purchases. That's how i justify my upgrades. She buys a new bed frame, which I can live without, and i buy a new monitor.

Youll learn to get around the marriage slow motion syndrome, at least I have. Lots of sweet talking and getting her things eventually make your woman crack :D Or maybe I just got lucky...
 

SKy042

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Jan 27, 2003
Messages
1,037
m3ta1head said:
Running an Opteron 148 @ 3ghz on my DFI...but I'm feeling quite left out with AM2 and Core 2 Duo...

Anyone else feel the same? I feel like I'm not on top of things anymore :(
similar here.
I just actually mumbled the words to myself "Wouldn't it be nice to make the file server a dual core machine for $153 bux"
Then I slapped myself remembering what that box actually does and realized the Opty 148 thats in it is plenty. I already have 2 dual core rigs sitting next to it if I need more power.
 

Willsonman

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Jun 11, 2005
Messages
1,195
YIPPIE!!!! So.... I told my wife about this thread and read some comments.... She gave me the ok for an opty 165!!!! I also feel that I should let you guys know that I reminded her that I let her get $1300 worth of laser hair removal recently. Good stuff. anyone know where good steppings are coming from right now? I'll start a thread I guess.
 

MikeyB

Limp Gawd
Joined
Apr 20, 2005
Messages
413
mrmagoo_83 said:
Left out...yea that describes it. I need a new wallet cause mine has a hole in it that seems to drip all my money into my wife's purse.

LOL :D
 

mrmagoo_83

2[H]4U
Joined
Aug 8, 2002
Messages
3,068
Willsonman said:
YIPPIE!!!! So.... I told my wife about this thread and read some comments.... She gave me the ok for an opty 165!!!! I also feel that I should let you guys know that I reminded her that I let her get $1300 worth of laser hair removal recently. Good stuff. anyone know where good steppings are coming from right now? I'll start a thread I guess.


For $1300, I would have hired someone to shave her everyday, sheesh, I would tell my wife she was nuts, lol. Though I guess it could be benefiicial to me as well, however, for that kind of money I would rather deal with it. :D
 

jnex26

2[H]4U
Joined
Aug 7, 2001
Messages
3,353
BarneyGumble said:
Yes, being married really puts the upgrades in slow motion. But somehow, i can't buy a new monitor, but we "need" a dresser and a new bed frame. I have had the hardest time convincing my wife that house upgrades fall into to the "your" purchases not the "us" purchases. That's how i justify my upgrades. She buys a new bed frame, which I can live without, and i buy a new monitor.

Meh, same here.

Still running a P4 2.8Ghz (C) on a 875 Pro-B board, 6800 GT Ultra, However It's ULTRA stable.

I get to upgrade when something breaks, and having a P4(Northwood) and a DFI board, plus a V good 550 watt PSU (can't remember the name of it atm).

Nothing breaks

Seriously... I've not have a BSOD for about a year and apart from windows updates it never get's rebooted and remains on 24x7, and it's not like it does not get to stech it's feet. I raytrace on it, Video capture and edit, compile my own homebrew software. Sometimes I feel like this PC is going to outlast me. I mean my monitor I bought in 1998 and it's still running strong (Although I think the desk is going to give soon)

Rant over....

Yes i do feel left behind, but I'm saving all i can to get a quad core when it comes out.
 

NulloModo

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Dec 16, 2002
Messages
4,602
BrownThunder said:
Im stuck feeling left out because if I do go conroe or AM2, it'll mean a new processor, motherboard, and ram. If I get a 6600 or 5000+ X2 with a good mobo and ram, it'll cost around $650. The problem lies in the fact that I ALSO want to get the westinghouse 37" LCD for my monitor. I just can't decide which one to go with :(

I do need a new motherboard and processor though, this DFI board is falling apart and my 3700+ Sandy doesnt cut it IMO.

Count yourself lucky. My entire system is outdated. 2.4 Northwood P4, ATI Radeon 9500 pro, Asus P4PE+. the only thing I will have that can transfer are the HDs.
 
Top