The Official Dell E228WFP Thread! Info, Pics, Reviews

Slawek

Limp Gawd
Dell E228WFP

US RESIDENTS: http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=320-5205
CANADIAN RESIDENTS: http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=ca&l=en&s=dhs&cs=CADHS1&sku=320-5205

e228wfp_eyw.jpg

e228wfp_wm.jpg

e228wfp_mai.jpg

* 1680x1050 pixel resolution for clear, sharp images
* Offers 300 cd/m² brightness and 800:1 contrast ratio
* 5 ms response time enables crisp and clear images
* Viewing angles of 160° vertical and 160° horizontal
* Digital DVI-D with HDCP connectors

Picked mine up for $329 CDN shipped, but it was going for $299 CDN on Boxing Week... doh! Oh well, still a beauty.

Cons to mention:
Does not come with a height adjustable stand
Backlight bleeding
6bit panel, so only 16.2 million colors (vs 8bit @ 16.7 million)

HUGE improvement to my 19" Samsung CRT.
Started playing CS:S @ 1680x1050, makes me wish I had an 8800GTX, or a second 7900GS OC for SLi.

Really enjoying this bad boy, and I would highly recommend it for an entry level monitor.

I'm just curious about the gaming.. it's my first LCD, so I'm not used to gaming. It seems like the CRT responds different. There is no ghosting, but it just seems a little different to my eyes... why is that? Like a delay, but not a delay.. I don't know how to explain it...

On to the pics:

IMG_0358.jpg

IMG_0354.jpg

IMG_0359.jpg

Mine's coming in today. I'm going to hook this badboy up to my TOTALLY AWESOME AND EXPENSIVE eMachines that I bought for $270

I was considering this display or trying to find a used 2407WFP ?
My current monitor, a Sony FW900 24 inch CRT was scratched recently so I have decided it is time for a LCD.

Does this one support 1:1 pixels mapping ?

I was also curious about this one and TN screens doesn't bother me since I don't do graphics work or any kind of shit. Hell, I have a 1703FP at work and it's perfect.

As for the 1:1 pixel mapping I don't believe so. I messed around with mine for a few minutes last evening and notice every resolution stretches. I didn't get a chance to look under the options but by default no.

No noticable buzzing noice. Input lag I can't say for sure as I was only using the panel for <20 minutes. The only game I spun up during that time, after checking for dead pixels and backlight bleeding, was flatout 2 and I used a steering wheel (talk about variables).
So far it's one of the nicer TN panels I have used. For reference I have a 1907FP (another TN) on another machine and a 1905FP at work..
However coming from a Dell P1130 (Sony CRT) I noticed the black levels (or lack there of). I knew this coming into the LCD world so I'm seeing if I can get used to it on my primary machine.
The stand height is also a little to low for my taste so I may get something to raise it or try and switch it out with the 1907 stand.

Edit:
Found in my nvidia color management it was set to a gamma +10, which was the source of the bad blacks. Readjusted and I find the blacks acceptable. Still not as good as a CRT but good enough for me.

VIDEOS

Umm ok this camera sucks, but bare with me here... just click to play videos

Counter Strike:

Browsing:

it's my ass camera and lack of photo taking ability. The monitor is seriously great

I'll try to take some high res pics when mine comes tomorrow. Can't wait :D

fuck i have a stuck red pixel. It's just flickering on and off red
have to send it back

well that was easy. called dell, they said OK new monitor is on the way, when you get it, package the old one with the stuff provided, UPS comes to my door and all is paid for.

anyway this pixel is now gone.. wtf? it flickers on and off red, then it's gone.. i cant get it to do the problem again now??

That back light bleeding would bug the hell out of me.

Based on the pictures, it looks pretty bad.

As usual my pictures suck but here we go:

IMG_1419small.jpg

"screen door" effect isn't as bad as I thought it would be. Really not much worse than a 20".

IMG_1426small.jpg

Back light bleed :(

IMG_1425small.jpg

Text looks nice

IMG_1421small.jpg

Fired up cod2 and man did it suck. Sensitivity was screwed up at 1680*1050 and the game just didn't feel right. Maybe it's becuse I play at high levels of competition with money involved, but I'd never play cod2 on an LCD.

IMG_1431small.jpg

IMG_1433small.jpg

IMG_1434small.jpg

CSS on the other hand felt fine. Tearing wasn't that bad compared to my 85hz CRT @ 200 fps and I couldn't get it to ghost like my 2005FPW did. Input feels very responsive and I can't seem to feel any lag.

http://sean.nickfire.com/index.php?dir=e228wfp
^high res versions there

Overall I'm very happy with it. Using it as a secondary display now and switching over to it when I game other than cod2.

Well the red pixel is gone, it was just stuck I guess. I don't get it, should I call Dell and say forget it, it's fixed? Or should I wait for the replacement and send back my current one? I don't want to risk the new one having a stuck pixel too... what do I do?

Picked mine up for $329 CDN shipped, but it was going for $299 CDN on Boxing Week... doh! Oh well, still a beauty.

Cons to mention:
Does not come with a height adjustable stand
Backlight bleeding
6bit panel, so only 16.2 million colors (vs 8bit @ 16.7 million)

HUGE improvement to my 19" Samsung CRT.
Started playing CS:S @ 1680x1050, makes me wish I had an 8800GTX, or a second 7900GS OC for SLi.

Really enjoying this bad boy, and I would highly recommend it for an entry level monitor.

I'm just curious about the gaming.. it's my first LCD, so I'm not used to gaming. It seems like the CRT responds different. There is no ghosting, but it just seems a little different to my eyes... why is that? Like a delay, but not a delay.. I don't know how to explain it...

This is because your crt refreshed faster. Lcds only have 60 fps while your crt was at 100 or 120. crts > lcds for fps period.

My current monitor, a Sony FW900 24 inch CRT was scratched recently so I have decided it is time for a LCD.

If the scratch is on the tint, you can peel the tint off

So return it if the pixel fixed itself, or not return it? Gimme suggestions here

Why would it just disappear tho, I mean does that sound normal? If it appeared once, does that mean it'll come back in the future possibly?

No it does not swivel.

Here are pics of the stuck pixel. New monitor is on the way, will be here in less than a week.

IMG_1913.jpg

IMG_1916.jpg

Replacement arrived, worse than the original.

I'm returning the replacement.. colors all washed out, worse backlight bleeding.

Anyway the red pixel seems to go away after a few mins, and recently (few days) it hasnt appeared at all.. ???

Hey everyone. I got this monitor and so far so good, not any big problems.

I'm having this weird issue, just wondering if anyone had any idea's:

When I leave vsync ON and play games, it looks great, no tearing. BUT the problem is the reaction to my mouse movements are VERY delayed, its quite rediculous. Of course I am getting only 60FPS so I thought it may be that.

I tried disabling vsync and now the mouse reaction time is perfect, normal...how it should be. But there is some bad tearing of course. I even decreased my MAX FPS to 60 to see how that handled. My mouse movements were still being portrayed properly on the LCD.

So....any LCD experts. Any ideas? I'd like to play w/vsync on without it being so delayed.

I researched it some more and it looks like I may be experiencing "Input Lag"

I disabled triple buffering and that has actually helped a quite a bit but the input lag is still very noticable and annoying.

It does this at all resolutions.

And please dont tell me it's my mouse drivers or any crap like that I'm not a moron :). I used to play games competively and for money so I know it has nothing to do with mouse configuration.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Oh sorry, Just for some more information:

My video card is a Radeon 9800 Pro 256mb

This monitor is connected via DVI

I am having this problem in ALL resolutions w/vsync on.

Thanks again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by b18turbo View Post

If the scratch is on the tint, you can peel the tint off

Is the tint a film over the glass? I can feel this scratch with my fingernail. It is so thin that I almost thought I could buff it out. Has anyone ever heard on this being done?

i just got mine today and i'm pretty impressed with it. it was super bright, i had to turn down the brightness quit a bit but the colors still look a bit washed out... i guess thats what i get with a TN panel though. the colors dont bother me at all while gaming or watching movies, but i notice it all the time while on the desktop.

i guess i'll simply get used to it, cant really complain for the price.

Does anyone know if you can swap the stand from a 1707FP with this one? Mine isnt coming until Wednesday so I cant look at the back of it to see if the stands are interchangeable.

Bumping to report that I got mine tonight and it is awesome! Moving up from a 19" WS to a 22" WS was a HUGE jump. Tried out titan quest and the new C&C3 demo and both are amazing with no ghosting at all.

Really odd considering most Dell posters just love their product line too much. Sort by worst and compare with what you consider to be a problem.

Ordered one on special with other coupons for ~$250 US ... Either I'll like it as a secondary or pawn it off on relative who's vision is lacking in the first place.

When in doubt consider the 24".

Back