The "Official" 8400 OC thread

delvryboy

2[H]4U
If e8400 users could post their clocks, voltage readings and mobo's...... it would be much appreciated. :D

It sucks bouncing around multiple threads looking for info.

I'll post my results when I get home - nothing special though. My best stable so far is 3.852, but cpu voltage needs to be above 1.3v :(

Thanks!

4.05ghz (450x9)
1.33v CPU-Z|1.38 Bios
Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L
Zerotherm Nirvana

(Running at 3.6ghz until I find out more about the temperature issues)

470 x 9 (4.23Ghz)
1.42v
Gigabyte GA-P35-DQ6
atm in a test bed with a Tt V1 cooler on it :)

Should go some higher with my water setup, or a TRUE (depending which I put on it in the end)

I am testing out an e8500 myself in my test box with a Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L I have it at 1.35 volts set in the bios (drops to 1.285 when stressing) and its running at 9x450 no sweat.

Here's mine. I got it up to 4.0ghz, but I run at 3.8ghz regularly.

As far as the temp thing, take a look at Real Temp. unclewebb has been doing some major work with the new 45nm cores and has been making some headroom. Check it out at http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=179044

OCd.jpg

This is my most stable.... rock solid.
real4.jpg

I was a little concerned about raising the voltage, so its a little comforting to see people cranking it up.

I have to run some tests on my ram and make sure the mobo isn't freaking out from the high fsb, then I'll get into it a little more..... there's no way I'm going to let my D 805 out do this chip :D

Also, what are your other voltage settings?

Thanks

I've got an e8400 running with my Asus Maximus Formula (bios 907) at 3.6ghz 1:1 with my Corsair 4x1gb c4dhx 800mhz ram with the vcore showing at 1.24/1.248 on cpu-z. Haven't raised any other voltages for the other settings. Running fine, but I'm just scared of oc'ing it anymore because I'm still a bit hesitant, and I live on a tropical island (Guam) that's in the middle of the Pacific Ocean, so it gets quite hot here :S (around 88 F)

I, too, was concerned about raising voltage. Didn't like what I read while googling "e8400 problems" because of the inaccurate temperature readings and some people frying their cpu's.

Sorry if I seem to be bring some gloom into here. Will try to post some pics.

Btw, my stepping, revision, model, ext model, is the same as devlryboy and fritz

What are the Vista64 people using to check temps? I installed everest ultimate, at a glance the numbers look a little high.

What are the Vista64 people using to check temps? I installed everest ultimate, at a glance the numbers look a little high.

I'm using Vista64. I use Everest and when I'm running Orthos I hit F8 at boot up, select "Disable Driver Signing" and then CoreTemp works also. At Idle my temps are: core1 47C, core2 35C.

3.8 ghz 423 x 9 or (1692QDR) 1.4v on EVGA 680i LT. I have a 780i being delivered today, so I will update with new results once I get it up and running. That also means I have a 680iLT for sale if anyones interested :)

As I've been reading, people have been upping their overclocks and not worrying about temperatures as much as they would a 65nm chip. What really should be watched is the voltage as that tends to fry these fairly quickly. I've heard of people frying them with 1.4v, give or take a few volt settings. I'm not sure if thats due to early runs with crappy wafers or what. Some people fried them and others haven't. It's luck of the draw.

That said, I can't wait to get my hands on my Wolfie.

PC wizard 2008 works with x64 I believe. After running it side by side w/ real temp for hours, the voltages are exactly 10 degrees higher from idle to full load.

I'm stable at 4Ghz (444x9) @ 1.368v

Temps reported in Speedfan 4.3.4 Beta are 40 idle 57 load

Core temp's (even today's 0.97 release) temps still seem wrong to me compared to BIOS.

I'm gonna try real temp later tonight. Is anyone convinced about any temp monitoring software working on wolfdales yet?

ive seen reviews that have taken these things up to 1.5 and 1.6+ volts on water and ran tons of benchmarks and such completely stable. I personally have had mine up to 1.46v. If temps are OK, I dont see how it would fry it. Maybe people uping the voltage on stock cooler, i dont know, but 1.4 should be safe, I would be careful going above 1.4 tho.

ive seen reviews that have taken these things up to 1.5 and 1.6+ volts on water and ran tons of benchmarks and such completely stable. I personally have had mine up to 1.46v. If temps are OK, I dont see how it would fry it. Maybe people uping the voltage on stock cooler, i dont know, but 1.4 should be safe, I would be careful going above 1.4 tho.
At those volts it might be stable for running tests but I highly doubt they run them 24/7 as electron migration occurs causing damage that is irreversible. Buyer beware. It's your CPU, do as you wish. Temperatures are less of a concern with these things as you can't just keep feeding them volts and expect them to live forever.

If I can find them, I'll post some links of people reporting good temperatures at higher than normal volts only to have the CPU not hold an overclock and slowly force the user to back down to stock.

At those volts it might be stable for running tests but I highly doubt they run them 24/7 as electron migration occurs causing damage that is irreversible. Buyer beware. It's your CPU, do as you wish. Temperatures are less of a concern with these things as you can't just keep feeding them volts and expect them to live forever.

If I can find them, I'll post some links of people reporting good temperatures at higher than normal volts only to have the CPU not hold an overclock and slowly force the user to back down to stock.

You are right, but even feeding them lots of volts they will still last for years. Instead of 6 years of life, you would end up with 4. Its not going to die over night unless you throw some SERIOUS voltage at it.

You are right, but even feeding them lots of volts they will still last for years. Instead of 6 years of life, you would end up with 4. Its not going to die over night unless you throw some SERIOUS voltage at it.

Normally you'd think so, but there are reports of degradation occuring rather quickly in some cases. Hard to know how common it is, but there are "reports" (in a sinister voice).

I have an E8400 and I have been reading a lot of posts about degradation. People have been running their Wolfdales at high voltages and getting great overclocks for several weeks only to find their system to become unstable all of a sudden. Then they find out that they can't hit the same overclock anymore. People have been saying 1.4v is the magic number to stay below to combat degradation. Here is a quote from an Andandtech article about the E8500:
These processors are built on a new 45nm High-K process that invariably makes them predisposed to accelerated degradation when subjected to the same voltages used with last-generation's 65nm offerings.
http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/intel/showdoc.aspx?i=3251&p=7
It's a good article. There's a page with graphs that shows all about life span, voltages, failure rates, etc.

I could live with shaving a couple years off my processor but it's turning out that that the price is going to be more than that on the Wolfdales.:(
I have mine at 1.315 vcore right now @ 3.96Ghz. If I crank the vcore up to 1.405 and tweak a couple other settings I can get 4.212Ghz out of it but it's just not worth it.

I'm with you, I can get 4ghz, but the voltage is over 1.4.

I'm going back down to 3.6-.7, it's stable, cool, and voltage is below 1.3. Besides, not much of a performance increase over 3.6.

Hit 5.133Ghz on mine under dry ice

It was a mobo FSB Wall

It was under dry ice

1.66v (mobo max)
Asus P5K Prem.

5GHz is definitely nothing to scoff at, indeed. These things are overclocking monsters. Hurry up FedEx! I had fun overclocking my E2180 to 3.2GHz, would be nice to hit 4GHz on my wolfie with low volts.

5GHz is definitely nothing to scoff at, indeed. These things are overclocking monsters. Hurry up FedEx! I had fun overclocking my E2180 to 3.2GHz, would be nice to hit 4GHz on my wolfie with low volts.
It depends on what you call "low" volts. The threshold seems to be lower on the 45nm chips vs. 65nm.

Unless you're lucky, I doubt you'll get over 3.9 under 1.4.

Yea, I guess these chips vary. I suposidly have one of the good chips as my

vid = 1.1125
Rev C0

I just bought an 780i, and put my E8400 in it to see if my 680i LT was keeping me from overclocking to 4.0ghz. Apparently, it was the Processor not the board, cause even with the extra voltage options on the 780i, I couldnt get my board stable at 4.0 ghz, even when setting hte bios as high as 1.46v. I could sometimes boot into windows at 4050 w/ 1.46v in the bios, but It would either lock up or random reboot eventually. I am stable at

3.9ghz
434x9 @ 1.42v in bios, Idle in CPU-Z is 1.39. 1.36 under load.

32c idle, 55 load

I Run the EVGA 780i board too. Here's what I have so far.

1.35v in bios 1.28 in CPU-Z
9x450 = 3.825GHZ
1700FSB
Temps using Real Temp
Idle:38-40
Load:52-54

Been doing some reading on the EVGA forums and they can give you some other examples of their experiences OCing HERE

I am running at 3.6 and really don't feel the need to go higher.

Bios voltage is a notch under 1.3v and CPU-Z reports this as 1.264v

Cores idle @ 42ºC. Very stable and the heat of the cores hits just 55ºC while gaming and in real world apps. If I run a CPU stress test with 100% usage, it will go all the way to 67ºC but keeps on chugging. (These are Speedfan temps. Real Temps reports about 5ºC cooler)

Intel spec says to not exceed 1.3625v (like that's going to stop anybody ;))

Using 3DMark06 as my benchmark I ran my system bone stock and got a score of 12,247. I then OC'd it to 3.8ghz and I got a score of 14,446. I was pretty surprised at the jump. Then I OC'd to 4.0ghz and I got a 14,636 score. I am not trying to get the highest possible score I can so for everyday use I leave it at 3.8ghz, which does everything I could want it to do and it's running under the 1.3625v Intel recommended limit. I could do 4.0ghz at the same 1.35v but the extra 3DMark points weren't worth it for me.

I seem to recall from reading that intel spec sheet that it was talking about VID with the 1.3625 figure?

Not knowing much about it I can only assume that this is different from vcore?

My vcore in CPUz is 1.368v
My VID in Core Temp is 1.1125v

The sheet is way too technical for me to truly understand but from it I gathered that vcore max was 1.45v?

:confused:

I seem to recall from reading that intel spec sheet that it was talking about VID with the 1.3625 figure?

Not knowing much about it I can only assume that this is different from vcore?

My vcore in CPUz is 1.368v
My VID in Core Temp is 1.1125v

The sheet is way too technical for me to truly understand but from it I gathered that vcore max was 1.45v?

:confused:

Use this sheet.

The 1.3625v is just a "safe" number that the engineers came up with. You can more than likely go over this number and not experience any significant drawbacks. But the further you go over, the more the risk to the long term health of the CPU....

Ok that sheet says:

'VID Voltage Range: 0.85V – 1.3625V'

and describes VID as....

'VID Voltage Range: The voltage range set by the VID signals as a reference to the VR output voltage to be delivered to the processor Vcc pins. For more details, please refer to the relevant processor specification document '

The only reference to VID i've seen in monitoring programs is in Core Temp which reads a voltage much lower than the vcore.

I assume from general reading, the max voltage refers to vcore, it's just the core temp VID reading confuses things.

Ok that sheet says:

'VID Voltage Range: 0.85V – 1.3625V'

and describes VID as....

'VID Voltage Range: The voltage range set by the VID signals as a reference to the VR output voltage to be delivered to the processor Vcc pins. For more details, please refer to the relevant processor specification document '

The only reference to VID i've seen in monitoring programs is in Core Temp which reads a voltage much lower than the vcore.

I assume from general reading, the max voltage refers to vcore, it's just the core temp VID reading confuses things.

I think it's like this (someone correct me if I'm wrong and I'm sure you will ;)):

VID is the Voltage Identifier of the CPU. It tells the voltage regulator (VR) how much volts to send to the CPU to boot up. Ever wonder how the BIOS knows how to send the correct default voltage on a new CPU when you first install it? I believe it's because the VID told it (and the VR) what was needed.

When you adjust Vcore (Vcc) in the BIOS, the VID is no longer in control. Now you're in control... i.e., Auto --> Manual

These 8400's have some crazy low default "VID".... Forgot where I saw it but it is like 1.1175v...

I think that's how it works..... :eek:

I am running at 3.6 and really don't feel the need to go higher.

Bios voltage is a notch under 1.3v and CPU-Z reports this as 1.264v

Cores idle @ 42ºC. Very stable and the heat of the cores hits just 55ºC while gaming and in real world apps. If I run a CPU stress test with 100% usage, it will go all the way to 67ºC but keeps on chugging. (These are Speedfan temps. Real Temps reports about 5ºC cooler)

Intel spec says to not exceed 1.3625v (like that's going to stop anybody ;))
At 3.6, I run 1.2875(bios) and temps are 25-30 idle and 49-51 during 24 hours of P95.

Back