The Official 100 HDCP ready video card list.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well i bought the powercolor version and the best that i can find on the box is "HDTV ready" Does that mean the same thing?

Casej18 said:
Well i bought the powercolor version and the best that i can find on the box is "HDTV ready" Does that mean the same thing?

No. It can display HD signals but it does not have the hardware protection chip on it. You
will be able to display full resolution HD DVD and Blu-ray movies only if their Image Constraint
Token flag is not active. For more info check out the HDCP Wikipedia page I linked to in the
first post of this thread.

Woops haha my bad. I thought the revised cards from Evga were all HDCP but I was wrong.

Newegg has the MSI 7900 GT for sale now! Link is in the first post and right here.

Only $269.99! One of the cheapest 7900 GTs on Newegg.

Terra said:
Why?
Is there a sudden stream of HDCP movies that I'm not aware of?

Terra...

True. This thread is not very important now, but I hope it will be in the future.
This is currently one of the only places on the web that has a list of HDCP cards. In post 2
there is a link to a AVS thread but it has not been updated in a while.

Finally another HDCP ready card surfaces. A new MSI 7600 GT, this time with HDMI!

Added the X1950 XTX to the list with the press release link and a review that mentions HDCP.

hken said:
Is HIS iceq3 x1900xt HDCP ready?

The review from hothardware.com says it is.

Review from hothardware

Unfortunately it was not the people at hothardware that "said" that. They copied the
reference "X1900 XT Feature and Specifications" list from ATI and pasted it in their review.
That review is from June 2006 which I think is before ATI had to edit their Feature and
Specifications for all their cards to NOT include the phrase: "HDMI compliant and HDCP
ready". People were very angry at ATI for listing it in there when it was not true.

This all goes back to the fact that since the Radeon 8500, ATI's GPUs have been ready for
HDCP, but the manufacturers (like HIS) were not putting the necessary components on
their cards to make the cards HDCP ready.

Lastly here is the site for that card and HIS makes no HDCP claims at all. It does have
some nice features though. VIVO and editing stuff.

In summation, no, the HIS X1900XT IceQ3 is not HDCP ready. Thank you for asking and
for trying to make this list more complete. :D

I just found out that there are 6 (count them 6!) 7900 GTXs made by XFX that are called:
"XFX GeForce 7900 GTX 512MB DDR3 HDCP RoHS Ghost Recon Bundle"

I have found no proof that these cards are actually HDCP ready...yet.:( If any of you find out
anything please let me know.

I have added these cards to the first post and I have included links to their XFX webpages.

EDIT
I also added the list of all the retail X1950 XTXs that I have found so far.

What a huge day for HDCP!

I found two more 7900 GTXs, I have listed all the 7950 GTs that I have found and I have listed
all the 7900 GSs that are HDCP ready so far.

mentok1982 said:
What a huge day for HDCP!

I found two more 7900 GTXs, I have listed all the 7950 GTs that I have found and I have listed
all the 7900 GSs that are HDCP ready so far.
What would be good is if MSI made an HDCP-enabled derivative of the NX7900GT-VT2D256EZ.

Passive cooling (or a large+slow fan) is what I'm after for my HTPC project. A "NX7900GT-VT2D256EZ HD" or a "NX7900GS-VT2D256EZ HD" would be very nice.

And selling them outside Europe would be helpful too! :)

Of the cards already listed, the GeCube X1300 256MB GDDR2 HyperMemory 512MB HDCP Slim HeatPipe Edition GC-HV13HPL2-D3 and Gigabyte 7600 GS GV-NX76G256HI-RH (HDMI) could be a little underpowered (plus I've gone off ATI recently). The Leadtek WinFast PX7600 GT (non-TDH) could be OK given that it is a GT and uses a large+slow fan ...

Adrian

PS Links to all the 7950GTs are now on http://www.gpureview.com/GeForce-7950-GT-card-445.html, but none of the images on the links show fanless designs.

PPS Correction! The teaser at http://www.xfxforce.com/media/serie...0d85a9aad9001d/7950GT_comp202_NoDLW_b_A41.pdf says that the PV-T71J-YHEX and PV-T71J-YHFX are passively cooled.

All I need now is Vista, cause I got an eVGA 7950 GX2 and a Gateway 21" FPD2185W.

Will anybody explain to me if I have a no-HDCP vga in Vista system and try to watch any hi-res movie throu dvi what will happen? Will I see something and in what res? Then HDCP is content protection not copy protection....hmm....example you have Blu-Ray or HD-DVD writter in your rig. You need HDCP card and monitor for watching but you can easilly copy entire movie with something like dvd x-copy platinum from 321studios (meaning something similar to x-copy but for Blu-Ray or HD-DVD) to your HDD and write it to a blanc disc. What kind of a protection is that? Explaine me, please. Thanks in advance.

gvlada said:
Will anybody explain to me if I have a no-HDCP vga in Vista system and try to watch any hi-res movie throu dvi what will happen? Will I see something and in what res? Then HDCP is content protection not copy protection....hmm....example you have Blu-Ray or HD-DVD writter in your rig. You need HDCP card and monitor for watching but you can easilly copy entire movie with something like dvd x-copy platinum from 321studios (meaning something similar to x-copy but for Blu-Ray or HD-DVD) to your HDD and write it to a blanc disc. What kind of a protection is that? Explaine me, please. Thanks in advance.

Well when the Image Constraint Token (ICT) on a next gen disk is turned on all hardware
used to read and display the content will need to be HDCP ready. Until there is software
out there that can bypass this, next gen discs with the ICT turned on cannot be ripped.

If the next gen disc does not have ICT or it is not turned on, you should be able to rip the
information from it with software that can decrypt the data from a next gen disk. DVD
X-Copy Platinum might need an update to be able to handle the decryption of a next gen
disc that is not using an ICT.

I hope that answers your questions, and I hope that I worded that reply correctly. We all
will know more about this stuff once you can get a HD-DVD or Blu-ray drive for a good price.

Tnx for replay. I wasn't shoore about the real meaning of HDCP. I just bought Samsung 205BW which has HDCP chip, so I have only to wait till Vista and HDCP cards. The only thing is now I have to look around for meaning of ICT. Tnx.

Any idea if the X1950 Pro cards will be HDCP ready? I wouldn't mind having HDCP support when I upgrade, but I don't know what I will be able to affoard.

Devnull said:
Any idea if the X1950 Pro cards will be HDCP ready? I wouldn't mind having HDCP support when I upgrade, but I don't know what I will be able to affoard.

That will depend on the manufacturer I guess. As far as I know ATI has not said: "All X1950
Pros will be HDCP ready." They did say that for the X1950 XTX though.

Keep it tuned here though. I will add the X1950 Pro info once I get some.

I added the GeCube X1900 GT, MSI 7900 GS, PowerColor X1600 Pro and X1300, and the
Asus X1900 XT. What did you do today?

NOTHING! :mad:

EDIT:
I also got rid of the all the "HDCP ready proof" links. I think they were making the list too hard
to read and if a card is on the list, it is HDCP ready. I kept all the "Card review" links and
"Newegg link" links though.

Sorry to "dood doo" on everyone one fun and this list, but we are mere months away from DX10 which will more then likely start this whole mess over again with new video cards. Not to mention you also need an HDCP ready monitor, not just a video card. Not to mention we won't see a steady flow of Blu-Ray or HD-DVD Roms till propably next year around mid to end summer.

In order to watch an HDCP movie you'll need 3 things (figureatively): HDCP media (either d/l video, DVD, Blu-Ray or HD-DVD), an HDCP video card and an HDCP ready monitor. Not including proper codecs and filters. This is gonna be a major pain just like when DVD first came to the scene.

RangerXML said:
Sorry to "dood doo" on everyone one fun and this list, but we are mere months away from DX10 which will more then likely start this whole mess over again with new video cards. Not to mention you also need an HDCP ready monitor, not just a video card. Not to mention we won't see a steady flow of Blu-Ray or HD-DVD Roms till propably next year around mid to end summer.

In order to watch an HDCP movie you'll need 3 things (figureatively): HDCP media (either d/l video, DVD, Blu-Ray or HD-DVD), an HDCP video card and an HDCP ready monitor. Not including proper codecs and filters. This is gonna be a major pain just like when DVD first came to the scene.

Well the media, HDCP ready video cards and monitors are here right now, and some people
already have all three! :eek:

Also this list is not meant to be "fun". It is only information. Information which has to be
pulled from many sources and as far as I know this HDCP video card list does not exist
any where else on teh Interweb.

I decided to start the list more than 2 months ago because it is easier to gather this
information before HDCP becomes widespread. Imagine trying to start this list next
month. It would certainly take a while to get it together.

Lastly, I am an admin over at GPUReview.com and we just changed the site so that you
can see what video cards are HDCP ready when you click on a card type like "7900 GS
PCI-E". Soon we are going to create a way to display all the video cards that are HDCP
ready that are in our database. Maybe then I will stop updating this list and just post a
link to that page. We shall see.
GPUReview.com's 7900 GS PCI-E page.

compwarez said:
where do i buy this card "Gigabyte 7600 GS GV-NX76G256HI-RH (HDMI)"

Well it "launched" on 8-17 with a press release on Gigabyte's site but I can't find it at any
retailer yet. It should be available soon I hope.

I would keep your eye on the MSI NX7600GT Diamond Plus as well.
http://www.msi.com.tw/program/products/vga/vga/pro_vga_detail.php?UID=758
It is also not available anywhere right now, but it should be soon.

EDIT
Kyle got his hands on the Diamond Plus and it was used in the article I linked in the next post.

Ajax9000 said:
What would be good is if MSI made an HDCP-enabled derivative of the NX7900GT-VT2D256EZ.

Passive cooling (or a large+slow fan) is what I'm after for my HTPC project. A "NX7900GT-VT2D256EZ HD" or a "NX7900GS-VT2D256EZ HD" would be very nice.

Just listed (but no pics): NX7950GT-VT2D512EZ. Passively cooled, so should be directly in competition with the <--->MSI</---> XFX card.

Adrian

I have some questions about HDCP support, any answers would be appreciated

I have a 7950GX2 and an Iyama CRT 19" monitor that can support upto 2048 1536 resolution

1) What is the resolution of HD movies running at max quality?
2) My monitor has a standard analogue connector and my video card has dual DVI output on which I attach a dongle to change the connector type, can HD be played out through a DVI output (using a DVI to analogue converer dongle) and still display on an analogue monitor?
3) Does the 7950GX2 support HDCP decoding? If not is it possible that driver updates in future could add this functionality or does it need a bit of hardware that cannot be emulated with a video card (even a very fast one)

Frosteh said:
I have some questions about HDCP support, any answers would be appreciated

I have a 7950GX2 and an Iyama CRT 19" monitor that can support upto 2048 1536 resolution

1) What is the resolution of HD movies running at max quality?
2) My monitor has a standard analogue connector and my video card has dual DVI output on which I attach a dongle to change the connector type, can HD be played out through a DVI output (using a DVI to analogue converer dongle) and still display on an analogue monitor?
3) Does the 7950GX2 support HDCP decoding? If not is it possible that driver updates in future could add this functionality or does it need a bit of hardware that cannot be emulated with a video card (even a very fast one)

1) 1080p which is 1920x1080 for the 16:9 aspect ratio
2) Kyle answered this in the Nvidia PureVideo HD article that is on [H]ard|OCP's front
page and it is also linked in the first post of this thread in the news section. Here is the
part that answers your question:

"CRT & SVGA

Our next stop with our PureVideo HD technology was on the lab testbench. We have
several older 19” ViewSonic monitors that will do 2048x1536 resolution at very good
refresh rates that we use for testing multi-GPU video card configurations.

Using the MSI 7600GT’s DVI output with a SVGA adapter we attached the system with
the HD DVD player and were easily up and running. We had a much different experience
with our older SVGA monitor than we did with our plasma TV. The picture quality was
again stunning, but this time the delivery was perfect. The entire HD DVD movie
experience with the pop up menus and such was seamless and intuitive. If you have ever
seen any of the “shot for HD” specials on Discovery Channel HD, a lot of our watched HD
DVD movies are pushing superior levels of quality with higher bitrates.

So, we found that our with a SVGA connection to an older CRT, that we had no troubles at all."

The below paragraph is why it works:

"ICT or Image Constraint Token

As of now, none of the HD DVD or Blu-ray movies being produced contain the ICT or
Image Constraint Token. This technology is rumored to be activated in HD DVD and
Blu-ray copyrighted movie technology around 2010. The current lack of this ICT is the
reason we are able to play our HD DVD and Blu-ray movies on older displays that use an
analog connection. Once the ICT is put into place, your older analog display will not be
able to play the movie at all or will show it in a lower-than-HD resolution.

The ICT is not in place now to allow HD DVD and Blu-ray copyright content to be much
more easily viewed by more end users."

3) I don't know what you mean when say "HDCP decoding". The 7950 GX2 should be able
to do all the HDCP and HD stuff that you would want to do because it has the HDCP
circuitry on the card, just like all the video cards on this list.

I've just read through the HardOCP HDCP article and they say:

If you want to watch new HD DVD or Blu-ray movies on your computer, you will need a HD DVD or Blu-ray drive to start with. Then you will need NVIDIA’s ForceWare v92.91 Beta driver assuming you are using an NVIDIA video card, and player like CyberLink’s PowerDVD 6.5 HD that supports HD movies. If you are using an analog connection to connect an analog or digital display, you don’t need more hardware or anything special till Hollywood starts putting the ICT on their HD movies, rumored to happen in 2010.

If you are outputting your HD DVD or Blu-ray movie to a digital display, with a digital connection, things get a bit more difficult and you will need a couple more pieces of hardware in addition to what is talked about above. To keep a purely digital signal from one end to the other, you will first need a video card that has HDCP support provided by an included cryptorom chip on the video card itself. Then the digital connection between the video card and the digital display must either be DVI or HDMI. Then the digital display must have the cryptorom chip as well that makes it HDCP compliant also.

So I need:
A HD DVD Drive (which I might get soon)
A CRT montior that has a analogue connection and very high res (check)
Beta Drivers (check)
Beta HDCP player (check)
A DVI output video card with a DVI to Analogue dongle (check)

So I dont actually need a HDCP supported video card OR monitor, to get HDCP output, as long as it uses an analogue connector?

Will the analogue connector provide a worse IQ?
Will the analogue connector force the HD DVD to play at lower resolution?

Frosteh said:
So I dont actually need a HDCP supported video card OR monitor, to get HDCP output, as long as it uses an analogue connector?

Will the analogue connector provide a worse IQ?
Will the analogue connector force the HD DVD to play at lower resolution?

Not until the ICT is implemented and at that time you will also need a HDCP display
connected with DVI or HDMI.

I don't think so. Not unless you can see a difference between 1920x1080 delivered via an
analog cable and 1920x1080 delivered by a digital cable. You might want to ask the folks
in our Display section about this one.

Not until the ICT is implemented on HD media.

mentok1982 said:
Not until the ICT is implemented and at that time you will also need a HDCP display
connected with DVI or HDMI.

I don't think so. Not unless you can see a difference between 1920x1080 delivered via an
analog cable and 1920x1080 delivered by a digital cable. You might want to ask the folks
in our Display section about this one.

Not until the ICT is implemented on HD media.

Cool, seems a bit stupid to me that theres so much hype around this HDCP supported hardware, when you don't even need it!

Although I do conceed that most people don't have montiors that support them kind of resolutions now a days, too many people jumped ship to TFT montiors and their rubbish low res displays :)

I knew my Iiyama monitor would last near on a lifetime, by the time 2010 hits it will all be cracked anyhow I expect, and we'll have CPU's fast enough to do decoding etc, in fact by that time we'll be on for the next-next-gen DVD storage I expect *grin*

Anyhow, great news! I might be buying a HD DVD player soon :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back