The Offical - Who is buying a Haswell-E 5960X, 5930K or 5820K Thread

SixFootDuo

Supreme [H]ardness
The Offical - Who is buying a Haswell-E 5960X, 5930K or 5820K Thread.

As you may or may not know, these new CPU's are being launched within the next few days on the 29th of August.

Newegg has a lot of DDR4 memory listed but most is not shipping until around the 10th of Sept.

Intel Core i7 5960X 8C/16HT – 40-lane PCI-Express support (x16 + x16 + x8) — $999
Intel Core i7 5930K 6C/12HT – 40-lane PCI-Express support (x16 + x16 + x8) — $583
Intel Core i7 5820K 6C/12HT — 28-lane PCI-Express support (x16 + x8 + x4) —– $389

I'm personally planning on buying the 5960X.

Since most people do not run 3 video cards but only 1 or 2, the 5820K along with DDR4 memory looks like a fantastic upgrade for most people. I personally would go with 6 cores over 4 even factoring in the higher cost of the x99 board / ddr4 memory.

Hint: Only buy the 2400 DDR4 memory and save money. All this memory will run at 2666 and 2800 by just changing the settings to 15-17-17-35 for 2666 and 15-18-18-36 for 2800. YMMV but I believe most are using the same chips.

I'm also taking a serious look at the EVGA FTW x99 ( $280 ) motherboard which has a 5 x 2 pci slot configuration. Typically, not many of these boards are made buy any manufacture. Black and Red color scheme but most importantly, it allows for 3 video cards with nice spacing.

Last edited:
I'm still running X58 and my 920 is getting old, have to dial back on oc every now and then. Never stayed on one platform this long (since 2009). I wanted 4790k, but now i'm just waiting to see 5820k's oc potential, if it looks promising probably i'm going for that one + 800 series SLI. Do i really need it, that's the question... not at all :D. I could probably stay on current set up after i get around to install Samsung Evo 1TB for at least 1-2 more years, for sure, but what the hell, 5 year upgrade cycle is not bad, even wifey is not complaining.

I'm also taking a serious look at the EVGA FTW x99 ( $280 ) motherboard which has a 5 x 2 slot configuration.

??? :confused: RAM?
EVGA-X99-FTW-Motherboard1-635x635.jpg

I think for people who are on the fence about building a new system and either going with a 4790K or 5820K with of course the extra cost being the ddr4 mem and x99 motherboard on the Haswell-e side. I would say this, offset your costs by buying a 120GB ssd and only starting out with cheaper 500watt PSU. Corsair has some really high quality units for $40 - $45 dollars. Also, look to craigslist. There are several people selling ssd's for cheap, psu's etc.

i will be upgrading my personal machine to a 5930K, at 140K the 5960X with 8c/16t at 3ghz will require too much overclock which may be easier in the 5930K with less voltage which i think may reach easy 4.5ghz which will be anyway my target.. anyway I will buy not buy immediately until see how much can overclock and perform..

32GB DDR4 Crucial Ballistix Sport already ordered. The rest - not sure. Either 5930K or 5820K, and absolutely not sure about the motherboards.

So if I'm only using two cards in sli, there's really no point getting the 5930k over the 5820 right?

I'm thinking my 3570K will be fine until the next gen. I'd rather put that $$$ towards a new monitor. They are looking mighty sweet for a change...

If you have 1 video card and only plan on having one video card, 16x lanes will be more than enough. A lot of people have 2 video cards. I think it's been proven and I really can't speak to this too much, but 8 x 8 is more than enough for the foreseeable future. So yes, to answer your question, you would only need a 5820K. Something tells me the 5820K might be a beast of CPU on the cheap.

Last edited:
My wife uses i5-760 @ 3.8 and it is as snappy as my other computers. If i had money to burn then most likely i would upgrade.

I will certainly be getting a 5960X.

Board? I will wait for a Sabertooth X99.

It will replace the Xeon E5 2687W v2 in my gaming rig.

Last edited:
Can someone clear this up for me?

I keep hearing people talk about 3 or more GPU's...the current crop of boards are capable of doing that, albeit 16x16x8 - but it is my understanding that PCI 3.0 x8 has not been fully overloaded as of yet. Am I missing something here?

Undecided on the 5820k or the 5930k. I do have the upgrade itch, never had a main pc for this long (coming from a 920).

Ill wait for the reviews as well.

If you have 1 video card and only plan on having one video card, 16x lanes will be more than enough. A lot of people have 2 video cards. I think it's been proven and I really can't speak to this too much, but 8 x 8 is more than enough for the foreseeable future. So yes, to answer your question, you would only need a 5820K. Something tells me the 5820K might be a beast of CPU on the cheap.

Won't I still have 16 x 16? From what I read seems like 5820k has 28 lanes for 16 x 16 x 4

I wonder if DX12 will take advantage of more cores, if not I will just hold on with my 4770k until next-gen consoles come out with 16 core cpu's.

Microcenter has this board currently available, though they might be price gouging like they were with x99 deluxe.

Just something on the 5820k.. from reading the leaked x99 deluxe manual, it supports 3-way sli/x-fire at x8-x8-x8 for 28 lane cpus (cough 5820k). There's a giant pissy fest on the internet over its lack of lanes, but in reality it's more than enough for most. Running x16-x16 will not make a difference unless you plan on running two dual gpu cards (from experience).

Last edited:
Just to confirm -- all three chips definitely use solder?

Unless Intel has lied to us repeatedly. Yes, all solder has been confirmed via multiple releases...someone even delidded a ES 5960x to make sure.

I'm getting a 5960x. Built a new loop for it - 3x 480 rads in push pull & mcp35x2 pump. Good enough to keep my non-soldered, non-delidded 3770k under 80c @ 4.8ghz/1.4v...hoping the heat transfer advantage of solder lets me push the 5960x to 5ghz. Total heat dissipation shouldn't be an issue as long as we can get it out of the die itself. :D

The advice earlier in the thread to get 2400 speed RAM seems like a really solid idea to me. I agree, this early on in the DDR4 production style, the chance of those different speed RAM sticks actually using the same chips is very high. Not to mention we'll probably be looking at 4ghz+ ram speeds in a couple years...a lot of us will be replacing our starter DDR4 kits with something much faster then.

Just make sure the ram you purchase has hynix (like the new ripjaws and avexir platinum). Those are the kits to get for oc'ing, according to a couple of pro benchers who have tested them.

I really did wish I could drop a 5960x 2011-3 into my RIVE. Fuck I'm feeling outdated but there is nothing from gaming that is giving me the urge to upgrade.

5960X and probably the EVGA Classified board with 64GB of 2133 Mhz ram. I'm going to immediately set the voltage to 1.6V and go for 4.8 Ghz. I don't want to write 3 paragraphs on my cooling setup, so in one line - it can handle whatever I throw at it.

I'll probably wait for NV to release the 800 series before I bother upgrading though. It's so time consuming cracking my waterloops open that I don't want to have to do it again in 4 months to upgrade the video cards.

I feel sorry for your silicon....1.6V. Ever heard of avalanche breakdown, dielectric breakdown, hysteresis? The lifespan of that chip is easily cut in half...maybe more at that voltage.

I feel sorry for your silicon....1.6V. Ever heard of avalanche breakdown, dielectric breakdown, hysteresis? The lifespan of that chip is easily cut in half...maybe more at that voltage.

I have never heard of those until just now. Care to give me a quick snippet (guide for dummies version) of info on each one? Just curious. Thanks.

I am most likely waiting for Skylake-e to replace my i7 970 system that is if I still am employed. Over the 17+ years that I have worked in medical imaging research it has never been this difficult to obtain US government funding for breast and lung cancer imaging research.

Probably skipping this round, again.

My 920 systems just keep on going, maybe a hex core upgrade or two. Even that is just because I want to try them really.

I have never heard of those until just now. Care to give me a quick snippet (guide for dummies version) of info on each one? Just curious. Thanks.

Assuming you have a basic understanding of a transistor and how they operate...

Super TLDR version: Higher voltage means larger driving force behind the current which has the potential to push electrons through both conductor and insulator causing 'leakage current'. Eventually this leakage current finds a path of lower resistance to some place it doesn't need to be and bam, fried chip due to a ground or blown semiconductor junctions because leakage current caused more current than necessary to be thrown at the chip and I^2R losses fried individual transistors.

TLDR version: Large electric fields cause the freeing of electron pairs in the transition region of individual transistors via increased thermal energy causing electron holes which lead to current leakage, increased current draw, and the opening of conductive paths...even if there is no longer a substantial driving force (voltage) present - the hysteresis effect.

High voltages (particularly as the transistor size gets smaller) increase the likelihood of this happening because only a finite amount of current can be driven by a particular level of voltage, increase the current beign delivered and the heat that follows the current will cause the junctions to suffer more rapid degradation by thermally destroying the semiconducting material.

On the electrical side of the house, larger voltages are able to push electrical currents a lot farther and with much greater ease, even to the point of pushing it straight through the insulators creating bad junctions. In memory this would simply result in a bad bock or sector that can't be written to, but in a CPU it's pretty much a failure condition because something is getting current it shouldn't or is no longer getting current it needs. Again, this effect is amplified in smaller node sizes because the space between insulators is that much smaller, making leakage current all the more likely from overvolting.

Last edited:
I'm definitely upgrading to the 5960X chip. I really want the octo-core, even at 3.0 Ghz. Overclocking potential should be interesting. The only question unanswered is which mobo. At the moment I'm leaning toward the Asus X99 Deluxe, but that is subject to change. I'm looking forward to reading mobo reviews, but I'm an Asus, Asrock, Gigabyte fan, so that gives me three manufacturers to choose from.

5960X and probably the EVGA Classified board with 64GB of 2133 Mhz ram. I'm going to immediately set the voltage to 1.6V and go for 4.8 Ghz. I don't want to write 3 paragraphs on my cooling setup, so in one line - it can handle whatever I throw at it.

I'll probably wait for NV to release the 800 series before I bother upgrading though. It's so time consuming cracking my waterloops open that I don't want to have to do it again in 4 months to upgrade the video cards.

Even if your cooling setup is beast, no reason to pummel your processor. Wasted electricity at the least.

1.4-1.5v should be able to get you rock solid @ 4.8.

I'm doing 1.4v/4.8ghz on a 3770k now, 100% stable for many months now under custom water loop.

I've seen reports of 1.6v killing chips even when paired with sub-zero cooling. Make sure you get the intel OC protection plan :cool:

1.50v would be my limit, which is still on the highside. Only feed it 1.6+v if you plan on doing suicide runs or ln2 overclocking.

1.30-1.40 volts is ideal imo.

I'm in for a 5930K, unsure on the mobo. I'll probably grab something with an m.2 slot; RVE maybe, though the price of that thing may lead me elsewhere. I'll wait for a few reviews and perhaps the 800 series from nVidia (rumour mill is going nuts on what is in store there).

I might just build a whole new system chassis and all and part out my current build.

I'm seriously contemplating the 5820K as something more budget oriented as I can't see myself now or in the near future needing more than 6C/12T and the extra 12 PCIe lanes for anything - but with dual 34UM94s on the way and the year long sulking I've done over going Z87 instead of X79 due to budget constraints at the time (and the poor performance increase from SB to IB)...I'm feeling a mid-cycle 5960X with a Rev.2 MoBo and some better DDR4. Either way, this year's OT money and bonus checks are already spent as far as I'm concerned. For me it's down to waiting for reviews to come out and crunching the numbers.

I will go for the 5930k, I prefer the better clock over the 5960x, along with the better price.
Asus x99 deluxe is the most tempting mobo for me.

I'm still running X58 and my 920 is getting old, have to dial back on oc every now and then. Never stayed on one platform this long (since 2009). I wanted 4790k, but now i'm just waiting to see 5820k's oc potential, if it looks promising probably i'm going for that one + 800 series SLI. Do i really need it, that's the question... not at all :D. I could probably stay on current set up after i get around to install Samsung Evo 1TB for at least 1-2 more years, for sure, but what the hell, 5 year upgrade cycle is not bad, even wifey is not complaining.

This is me. I'm still on x58 / i7 920. Even five years out, I don't have a true need to upgrade, but I think Haswell-E will finally tip me over the edge. I'll go "low-end" wiht hte 5820k.

Back