The *OFFICAL* is CS Dead or Not THREAD

KoDt

Gawd
So we got about 80% of the [H] saying cs is dead whenever it is mentioned.

Then we have the CS players who kindly point out that it is the most onlined played FPS right now.

Then the CS haters respond with "Its all 12-14 year olds who are annoying, and its also 80% hackers" And that its soo old and shitty etc, ect..

Well thats not true, there are a good amount of hackers and alot of 12-14 year olds but there are also sevearl thousands of servers and you can find good servers to play on, and play regularly with good copmetition. Sure youll notice an occational hacker but if its a good server admins will be there to take care of it. (and if not you can join a diff server)

The biggest competitive video game tournements CPL, WCG etc, play several good games. WC3, Halo, and a few others But the Grand Prize and largest event is Counter-Strike.

The biggest online gaming league the CAL, features several games but the main game is Counter-Strike. If e-sports ever go mainstream (which it is getting closer to in eurpoe) it will be thanks to counter-strike.

Alot of people will say CS sux now it was best in betas, I will agree the most fun I had playing was in the betas 6, 6.5, 7 etc.. But the game is still great and has improved in many areas from the betas.

So with a huge player base, tons of custom maps and servers, best clan/league system. (you can find a scrim 24/7)

So I am daring to say CS is in fact not dead, and that it wont be untill hl2/cs2 comes out and will still be played even after that (for several years) Assuming clans / leages go over to cs2 which is assuming cs2 is good :rolleyes:

So agree or dissagree state your arguemnts

I just got done playing it for about 6 hours .... im done for the day... maybe..

CS is best computer game ever

*FF7 best game ever

For me and my friends, this game is dead and forgotten. It was good, I have many fond memories (and many not so fond) but we've all moved on to bigger, better games.

CS is still the game...

however CS beta 6.4 was the best.... 7.1 was even good...

but as soon as they did away with bunny hopping.... it did loose its knack..

you have a lot of over exagerations in your post.

the main one I noticed, and laughed when read"

"Then we have the CS players who kindly point out that it is the most onlined played FPS right now."

sorry, but it seems as if it's never "kindly pointed out". It's always done w/ a bit of arrogance, and an uppity attitude. *of course there are exceptions. Even your whole post came off to me as being very uppty and "holier than thou".

Also, your either / or fallacy of CS being dead or not is not exactly right. In my opinion, CS is not dead, that's obviously proven by the amount of players still playing it. But I would definitly say it's past it's prime.

Last night I encountered a very funny thing. Made me think of the recent thread's on CS (this may be going off topic slightly, sorry). My good friend's brother was talking to us about games. I had gone and picked up Far Cry on my way there, and had brought it in w/ me. He asked what that game was, and I said it's a FPS. "oh like Counter Strike???" "no it's more like what Half Life 2 and Doom 3 will be". He responded with "oh i haven't played those yet".

This kid plays CS, that's it. OH wait, also Gunbound. But those are the ONLY two games he plays, period. He doesn't even KNOW that there is a half life 2, or a Doom3. He's totally secluded himself in those two games, and gunbound he only started because we refused to play CS at one of the LAN's he went to, so he was forced to play gunbound with us.

Now, i don't know what relevance that has here. Except to show the mentality and seclusion many CS players tend to have. So..... sorry.

in my area (memphis, TN) the only 2 local LAN gaming companys make probably over 95% of their money off of kids coming in and playing counter strike on alienware pc's. when you walk in and look at the gamers screens, all you see is cs, even though they offer games such as warcraft 3, halo, unreal, BF1942, etc. so maybe counter strike in certain areas is dead, when i went to san diego over spring break the LAN place i went to was centered around counter strike, with special counter strike only pc's (which were the majority), special by-the-hour counter strike prices, etc.

For me its dead I agree 6.4 beta was the shiznit! But havent played it in a while and might by CZ to dork around with!

I've played CS since the very day beta1 came out. That will be 5 years in june. I've lead a clan at the highest level of play and had some good times playing. But CS has no heart anymore. It's just a shell of what it once was.

All you find in CS these days is just a bunch of cheating and shit talking 12 year olds. There is no longer anything special about it. Even league play is a waste of time due to massive corruption. It has gotten worse every day since retail and now it's nothing but a perpetual retard fest. With all the new games coming out, anyone who is still playing CS on a regular basis by the end of the summer will really need a head check.

In Northeast TN, people LOVE their CS. I hate it, and it's sometimes difficult for me to get a game of something else going. If I'm at a private LAN, it's much easier to find someone who wants to play UT or some real time strategy.

but as soon as they did away with bunny hopping.... it did loose its knack

So when they removed this cheap and insane move for realism sake and just plain common sense, then a game becomes bad. Just another player who based their skills on cheap tricks instead of actually trying to learn the game. Now you feel left out cause you see you have no game other than that.

cs in not dead at all. i think it's slowly loosing some population due to new batch of games but in no means ever it is dead. PUG/SCRIM channels have 300-1000 people in them constant. i could find a scrim at 4:30 last night with about 4 pms. i just think the halflife engine is flawless and other games grow old quick. most of the people posting were just people who joined "PUBS" and never really knew that cs just that huge. it amazed me the first time i was introduced into a scrim and then mIRC. i dont think im ever really going to stop playing CS until there is no server / bot i can play with. :rolleyes:

First off, this isn't the "offical" (sic) thread. Only Kyle et al can make an "official" thread. ;)

Back on topic... A friend of mine plays CS and enjoys it thoroughly, but of he, our other friend, and me, he's the only one who plays it with any regularity. He tried to get the other two of us to play at our last LAN, but it didn't happen for more than 15 minutes or so.

I like a game with good graphics. I'd say it's a very, very close second to gameplay overall. (Of course, I still would play Castles 2 if I could find the disc, and that has horribly dated graphics!) Thus, that's a major strike against CS. In addition, the level designs always seemed uninspired to me. Again, another strike.

Finally, you're always hearing about wallhacks or aimhacks or Xhacks in CS...not so much in other games. Granted, when you're talking about the most-played game, it'll have the most hacks. But that's a huge, mega turn off to me. I suck at most FPS when I play against humans, so why would I want my odds to go down even more when people cheat?

Those are the reasons I can't stand CS. I don't hate my friend for being a CS fanboy; I don't even get irritated with him for liking it. But that's because he acknowledges that CS is not the end-all-be-all game it once might have been. He knows that there are limits. Most CS players could take a cue from him and see the outside of their cave.

Originally posted by finalgt
RIP Counterstrike
b6.4 - v1.3

i feel the same way

i will get CS:CZ when it gets on the $9.86 rack in Wal Mart or free with a happymeal.

Its not that I hate CS, just all of the people who play it and only it and are ignorant of all other games. There are so many great online games coming that will never be big because of people to ignorant to try something new. UT 2k4 has to be the most perfect online game ever. It has something for everyone. Don't tell me onslaught doesn't take strategy. I don't think rush b or choke tunnel is strategy either. If you want strategy to go to eb and grab star craft for 10 dollars. That is strategy. My friend will not playing anything other than CS. All I know is I will be enjoying UT 2k4.

From a compitive cs player,

The game is not dead.. Its a old game which is true and some people grow out of it and new players get into it, Its just a cycle that continues.. Untill the game dies out which will be in a few years.. Unless a Counter-Strike 2 is released.

*EDIT*

OH yeah most of them are a bunch of 12 years old e-thugs which run away the older people..

CS is one of my favorite games of all time. It has been an inspiration for ideas in many of the games and modifications you guys all play now whether you like it or not. I still think it is good, but I don't like most of the community. I think one of the main reasons it still exists is because it is extremely easy to run. Cs however is not my favorite pc game ever, as that honor will have to go to Diablo II. My favoirte game of all time is none other then final fantasy VII.

I can't imagine the Counterstrike community being any more retarded than that of the Battlefield 1942 community. Honestly, you can't find a public game that doesn't see at least five fucktards and ten plane campers per match.

It's such an awesome idea in it's own right; the community ruins it though.

Originally posted by Devnull
I've played CS since the very day beta1 came out. That will be 5 years in june. I've lead a clan at the highest level of play and had some good times playing. But CS has no heart anymore. It's just a shell of what it once was.

All you find in CS these days is just a bunch of cheating and shit talking 12 year olds. There is no longer anything special about it. Even league play is a waste of time due to massive corruption. It has gotten worse every day since retail and now it's nothing but a perpetual retard fest. With all the new games coming out, anyone who is still playing CS on a regular basis by the end of the summer will really need a head check.

highest level of play, eh? so you've gotten top 3 at cpl or wcg? you've won cal-i? rofl, i find that hard to believe. if you were really at the highest level you woudn't even notice the cheating at 12 year olds because there isn't any at the highest level. lying is not good, sir.

No contest. CS is not dead, I don't even NEED to make an argument. It's so fking obvious...

cs isnt dead and wont be for a very long time, and i dont even play it anymore but the game closest to the gameplay and thrill of that now is ut2004 which i enjoy and am going to buy tonight

cs lost its luster after 1.3 in my opinion... i still wish action quake 2 was the populer game still instead of CS. Aq2 rocks CS so hard... but nooooo people want a more realistic game... realistic hah thats a relative term. Ive been waiting for CS to be knocked off its pedestal for a long time but it still hasnt happened. Maybe HL2 or Doom 3 will.

Oh ya FF7 was on PC too so its still one of the best games period :p

Since CS isn't dead can we hire a hitman to take it out. I swear it needs to die.

I know lots of folks play it, i did too. But when I went from the P3 450 to a (see sig) I couldn't play a game i could play on my cellphone, on my new rig. The game is decent but since it is the same over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over it get boring.

Question: Does anyone actually *care* if CS is dead or not? If you play it, it's not dead. If you don't play it, it's dead for you. Stop beating a dead horse.

If you don't play it anymore, don't even bring up the subject of HL2, or Doom3, or FarCry, or BFV, or CoD to the people who don't even recognize those titles ... let those morons of the gaming world be content with CS so they don't migrate to the other games!

Note: I haven't played CS for about a year now ... I don't miss it in the slightest. It's got the highest density of complete and utter idiots in the gaming world ... if you suck, you're a luser taking up space ... if you're good, you're a cheater.

It is dead to me, but it isn't dead at all in the rest of the world.

I just got sick of the arrgance, the hacks, the lamers, and the general crap that for some reason took over this once great game.

And I know what people are going to day, "don't play public servers". Guess what, that's about all I ever play. I am 32, I have very few friends who game and I never go to Lan parties. If I want to play online, it is a public server. Yes, BF1942 has its share of asshats, but it is much easier to avoid them if you just avoid the EA servers.

Anytime I get the urge to play CS, I just play DC.

I do get the urge though.

cs was wonderful fun a long time ago.. to me its dead now. ill wait and see what they do with cs2.

cs lost its luster after 1.3 in my opinion... i still wish action quake 2 was the populer game still instead of CS. Aq2 rocks CS so hard... but nooooo people want a more realistic game... realistic hah thats a relative term. Ive been waiting for CS to be knocked off its pedestal for a long time but it still hasnt happened. Maybe HL2 or Doom 3 will.

I never got the draw of realistic games. I always felt the entire point of playing a game, watching a movie, or reading a book was to do something you can't do in realy life. If I wanted to I could join swat but I can't use a lighting gun and survive 500 foot falls out of a raptor :p.

Oh I forget about ff7 being on pc. You can get an emulator for ff6 though ;).

BTW Kefka would spank Sephorith like the school girl he is. LoL.

Originally posted by Belan
Question: Does anyone actually *care* if CS is dead or not? If you play it, it's not dead. If you don't play it, it's dead for you. Stop beating a dead horse.

If you don't play it anymore, don't even bring up the subject of HL2, or Doom3, or FarCry, or BFV, or CoD to the people who don't even recognize those titles ... let those morons of the gaming world be content with CS so they don't migrate to the other games!

Note: I haven't played CS for about a year now ... I don't miss it in the slightest. It's got the highest density of complete and utter idiots in the gaming world ... if you suck, you're a luser taking up space ... if you're good, you're a cheater.

oh, so people who play cs automatically don't know about the other games out? people that play cs are just ignorant morons? wow please stereotype more:rolleyes:

Originally posted by odoe
Anytime I get the urge to play CS, I just play DC.

I do get the urge though.

I really don't get dc. I get more enjoyment out of normal battlefield then dc just because dc seems less "polished." I mean everything looks great, but it seems like the weapons and vechiles are sorta unbalanced.

CS is dead... or at least it should be.

CS is like a bad relationship that someone refuses to give up on. I think newer games don't get the same kind of play CS does because people are comfortable in CS. There are plenty of other games that could have the same draw that CS does, but people refuse to play something new.

I was at a LAN once where some of us decided to give C&C: Renegade a shot. We got some other people to try and play with but they gave up after 5 minutes and went back to CS. It could have been a lot of fun but people left their comfort zone and freaked out. Just try something new guys.

CS is not dead. I wish I could play better games then CS though but since I have a shitty computer (and with me working 40 hrs a week on 7.50 an hr is not going to be a problem now) I still play CS cause its the only game that runs good on my computer. Hell my computer is slowing down everytime that stuiped ad for the New Egg Tournament gets looped (only when it does the smoke effect when list the names of the game). Not only that but my video card only likes to work when it feels like it so if I shut down my computer, nothing will come up on my monitor and I have to leave the computer alone for a few hours (its like it overheats or something).

Originally posted by Jäger
oh, so people who play cs automatically don't know about the other games out? people that play cs are just ignorant morons? wow please stereotype more:rolleyes:

You've obviously never taken a basic philosophy or logic course ... Boolean logic is quite fun to play with. You have 2 distinct logical groups ... the morons, and the CS players.

The morons are (and I'm quoting from my own post): "the people who don't even recognize those titles".

The CS players are: the ones who play CS (obviously).

My post basically says: Not everyone who plays CS is a moron, but it is saying that all morons play CS ;) The moron group exists within the larger CS group.

Please, if you're going to bitch about my post, at least understand it first. Thanks, buhbye.

CS might not be dead, but it sure is gay. I think I stopped playing cs back 3-4 years ago. It might have been even further back then that. Course I don't even bother going to lans anymore. Half the people won't play anything but cs, and I'm just thinking "Been there, done that." I don't care how good a game is, I can't play it for more than a few months. Just becomes boring.

I believe I left cs for Tribes 2, but it might have been as far back as when unreal tournament came out. Either way I have no desire to even look at that game again.

Anyways, I hope more and more people stop playing cs, because it just pisses me off when I'm playing at a local lan and we have 20 people in a game but then it drops to 5-10 because somebody starts a cs game. I just want to run over and beat the cs people senseless :).

all of these people posting i wish cs would die are morons. why does it bother you that the 1337er gamers still play a game that isnt mindless? does it really bother you? do you want them to play UT with you? i play UT sometimes and as i said ealier it grows old in an hour where as CS is fun for a good day. i'm the person who doesnt take graphics over gameplay.Gameplay is what matters to me not those pretty pixel shaders ( although i have grown quite fond of them).

Originally posted by zoltan
all of these people posting i wish cs would die are morons. why does it bother you that the 1337er gamers still play a game that isnt mindless? does it really bother you? do you want them to play UT with you? i play UT sometimes and as i said ealier it grows old in an hour where as CS is fun for a good day. i'm the person who doesnt take graphics over gameplay.Gameplay is what matters to me not those pretty pixel shaders ( although i have grown quite fond of them).

First off, I said I left cs for UT, doesn't mean I still play UT. However, UT2k4 onslaught requires tons of team work and strategy. Also I like to play Enemy Territory which also requires a lot of team work, and has the best bang for your buck in gaming since it is free and fun as hell. Honestly though, I notice most of the cs players at lan parties are significantly younger than non cs players. Lan parties around here average age of about 21 or so. But the average age of cs player is somewhere around 16-17. Oh and do they ever bitch and whine if you don't play cs with them. Sure i'm upset when all people do is play cs, but I don't make it known to others through bitching and whining. Maybe I should though, cause it seems to work for them.

Originally posted by Movieesa
So when they removed this cheap and insane move for realism sake and just plain common sense, then a game becomes bad. Just another player who based their skills on cheap tricks instead of actually trying to learn the game. Now you feel left out cause you see you have no game other than that.

Dont be mad cause you couldnt do it...its ok. :rolleyes:

If you played TFC, you quickly got the hang of bunnyhopping, so everytime I played CS, it was just natural. The people that bitch the most about it, cant do it. Not my fault.

Back