The Obligatory iPad 3 Announcement Thread

Mine shipped. Says it shipped with standard overnight, but will be delivered on the 16th. Probably have a deal with FedEx to hold the deliveries until release.

Why bother with applecare? It's not like most people are going to have it next year at this time anyway with the true iPad 3 coming out. You get a standard 1 year anyway.

Standard 1 year does not have Accidental Damage replacment, plus will help resale value when the time comes.

I've got a FedEx tracking number for mine but no details on the shipment yet.

place order on the 7th at like 5pm and mine is now saying "Preparing for Shipment"

it would be so cool if it comes before the 16th

I wouldn't worry too terribly much if nothing's happened with some of these orders. It's entirely feasible that, depending on your location, your unit might ship from within the U.S. as opposed to shipping straight from China. There's no particular rush to ship in the former case.

ordered 32GB wifi only, so i can put my GEN1 ipad to work in the studio and read nicely on the amazing resolution of the new one.

does this mean that old iphone native apps are going to be about as big as an icon now?

ordered 32GB wifi only, so i can put my GEN1 ipad to work in the studio and read nicely on the amazing resolution of the new one.

does this mean that old iphone native apps are going to be about as big as an icon now?

LOL, i hope not, apple must have a solution for this haha

Mine just shippped.. got a fedex tracking # that isn't showing in their system yet...

I guess apple made my choice for me to not get the 4g one by shipping so fast :p

Don't you know how Retina displays work? Stuff doesn't get smaller. It just uses 4 new tiny pixels to represent 1 old large pixel.

Don't you know how Retina displays work? Stuff doesn't get smaller. It just uses 4 new tiny pixels to represent 1 old large pixel.

Don't you know how applications work?

They run off resolution not manipulations of terms.

The new resolution is exactly 2x the old res. So everything should scale perfectly. Just like iPhone apps did on the iPhone 4.

AFAIK. Properly written older applications will not only be scaled by quadrupling pixels on bitmap elements, so the bitmaps look the same and are the same size.

But the text APIs will automatically deliver the correct sized font, but not scaled like bitmaps, but actually using the new hi-res 264dpi fonts.

So all properly written Apps will get a high res text upgrade.

But regardless, no elements will change size in any application, this isn't like in windows where if you get a high DPI monitor everything gets smaller. This is pure win. Things just get sharper/cleaner.

Yes, I know how applications work. Without any changes for Retina display, they would be presented with a virtual 1024x768 resolution like the previous iPads - the OS takes care of the scaling details. They would only see the full 2048x1536 resolution if they specifically opt-in.

Ordered 64GB Black WiFi around 4pm on the 7th.

Service type
Standard Overnight - Adult Signature Required

Mar 10, 2012 11:53 AM
Picked up
NASHVILLE, TN
Future delivery requested

Yes, I know how applications work. Without any changes for Retina display, they would be presented with a virtual 1024x768 resolution like the previous iPads - the OS takes care of the scaling details. They would only see the full 2048x1536 resolution if they specifically opt-in.
The internal resolution of any device with a retina display is the same as the devices with the non-retina displays, it's just the scaling factor is two for devices with a retina display, instead of one. But yes, the OS handles everything.

The only element in any app that will look the same (not worse) will be media, such as images, or videos.

Woo Hoo: Louisville, KY, United States 03/11/2012 11:26 A.M. Arrival Scan

Unfortunately I guess they are going to hold them until Friday before they deliver.

Woo Hoo: Louisville, KY, United States 03/11/2012 11:26 A.M. Arrival Scan

Unfortunately I guess they are going to hold them until Friday before they deliver.

If it's anything like when i got my original iPad, that's exactly what they'll do. Mine was sitting 5 mins away for 4-5 days last time I bought one.

Is anyone planning on picking one up from a B&M store on Friday? I called my local Best Buy about it and they told me they weren't allowed to give me details on when the new iPads will be available. They have the info, but said that they could not tell me.

What kind of release is this when the store will not even give a potential customer information on a product release?

Of course, I am talking about Best Buy here.

Is anyone planning on picking one up from a B&M store on Friday? I called my local Best Buy about it and they told me they weren't allowed to give me details on when the new iPads will be available. They have the info, but said that they could not tell me.

What kind of release is this when the store will not even give a potential customer information on a product release?

They will probably get them earlier in the week and lock them up in the warehouse, i would assume they have a few as soon as they open the doors.

The local one here has very few of each model just an FYI though.

For the iPad 2, you could not pick them up until 6pm on release day. So it was good to be there and in line before 6pm. My local Best Buy did a good job of lining people up and giving them a sheet of paper for the model each person wanted, so you knew once you got in line they there was an iPad waiting for you for once they ran out of sheets for a given model none were left inside. I live in a small town so standing in line was actually fun.

For as painless as ordering online was, there's no way I'd wait in line. I'll probably have it before the people who wait in line anyway.

For as painless as ordering online was, there's no way I'd wait in line. I'll probably have it before the people who wait in line anyway.

This, though I'll still probably be fighting a crowd at Best Buy to get a case + screen cover after I receive it on Friday.

edit: on that note, will new iPad accessories be available first thing Friday, or are they after 6PM as well? Are they already available now?

on that note, will new iPad accessories be available first thing Friday, or are they after 6PM as well? Are they already available now?

Depends on the accessory. The Smart Covers for the iPad 2 will work on the new iPad. I think it's the full cases and skins that will be released after. Incase, Griffin and Belkin usually have products released within the first week.

Depends on the accessory. The Smart Covers for the iPad 2 will work on the new iPad. I think it's the full cases and skins that will be released after. Incase, Griffin and Belkin usually have products released within the first week.

I have no interest in the Smart Cover. I just want the Zaag screen protector (which I assume works with the latest iPad seeing as how they haven't changed the screen dimensions) and I'll probably pick up a cheap Targus case or backing to hold me over until the better cases come out over the next few months.

my besttbuy has preorders on thursday

It means a manager is probably holding them all and will sell them on Craigslist locally marked up until demand dries out at the elevated price point.

The Zagg full body protectors aren't going to be released until next week I think. I ordered one direct from them with a coupon code for 20% off. I usually go with the screen/body and the smart cover. Still keeps it thin and light and offers decent protection.

Back