Votes: 13 3.0%
  • other

Votes: 14 3.2%

• Total voters
I just did 510/1320 wtih ease,I will try higher after work

http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dm05=1192084

Looks like she settles in at
Coolbits was 498/1320 this time
505/1320 play games all day but she will run as high as 520/1320 in 3dmark 05 with no arifacts but drops out after nearly completing all the tests?
Driver 78.01
idle 46-47C
BF2 she hits 75c

Remarks: Sudo BTX style case, she get warm in there. I am considering additional cooling since i have just two 120 mm fans intake/exhaust .

jacuzz1 said:
I just did 510/1320 wtih ease,I will try higher after work

http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dm05=1192084

Looks like she settles in at
Coolbits was 498/1320 this time
505/1320 play games all day but she will run as high as 520/1320 in 3dmark 05 with no arifacts but drops out after nearly completing all the tests?
Driver 78.01
idle 46-47C
BF2 she hits 75c

Remarks: Sudo BTX style case, she get warm in there. I am considering additional cooling since i have just two 120 mm fans intake/exhaust .

That is usually the memory. Bump it back to 1310 and see what it does. But,it looks like you got a good card. Anything above 500/1300 is a good sample.

Ok Heavy, here is another Asus but not the TOP one.

Make: ASUS
Model: Extreme N7800 GTX-2DHTV
Driver: 78.01
BIOS rev: 5.70.02.11.02
Stock clocks: 430/1300
Coolbits Detect: 505/1320
Usable OC:4 540/1350
Idle temp: 31C
Load temp: 41C
Cooling method: Water

amirales said:
Ok Heavy, here is another Asus but not the TOP one.

Model: Extreme N7800 GTX-2DHTV
Driver: 78.01
BIOS rev: 5.70.02.11.02
Stock clocks: 430/1300
Coolbits Detect: 505/1320
Usable OC:4 540/1350
Idle temp: 31C
Load temp: 41C
Cooling method: Water

Oh no, not you :D

Ok folks, I'm jumping on this bandwagon. Here is my entry:

Make: XFX
Model: 7800GTX
Configuration: SLI
Driver: 77.77
BIOS: 5.70.02.11.11
Stock: 450/1250
Coolbits: 504/1350
Stable OC: 495/1400
GPU1 Idle: 45°
GPU2 Idle: 41°
Cooling: 2x Zalman VF700-Cu

Additional notes:

1. Supplemented with Zalman 92mm fan on bracket at permanent 7v.

2. By "stable" I mean no artifacts after heavy use. At 500MHz core speed there were minor artifacts in Far Cry. At 495, nothing. Artifacts in 3DMark05 only show at 510MHz.

3. 3dMark05 scores: stock = 12140, OC = 12283. Kinda proves how worthless the extra 50MHz really is.

roflcopter said:
I've got one! I've got one :p

It was the cheapest one i could get here in the netherlands.

Model: EN7800GTX
Driver: 78.03
BIOS rev: 5.70.02.11
Stock clocks: 430 / 1200
Coolbits Detect: 489 core / 1310 mem
Usable OC: 480 core / 1300 mem
Idle temp: 54 celcius
Cooling method: stock

Okay, a little update. Temperatures in the Netherlands started to fall so it's much cooler in my room now. So i have some new results.

Model: EN7800GTX
Driver: 78.03
BIOS rev: 5.70.02.11
Stock clocks: 430 / 1200
Coolbits Detect: 491 core / 1310 mem
Usable OC: 500 core / 1300 mem
Idle temp: 49 celcius

Cooling method: stock

GoldenTiger said:
Make: eVGA
Model: 7800GT N518-AX
Driver: 77.77 WHQL
BIOS rev: Unknown
Stock clocks: 445 / 1070
Coolbits Detect: 471 / 1120
Usable OC: 481 core / 1160 mem
Idle temp: 47c
Cooling method: Stock

Thanks to everyone contributing to this thread, and to HeavyH20 for maintaining the chart!

EDIT: to include idle temp.

P.S. After using this overclock since I made the original post, it has been working fine, so this is basically my final overclock. I have tried pushing the memory higher, but it just doesn't like it. If you need the BIOS rev to put this on the chart, tell me how and I will grab it :).

DeaDLocK said:
1. Supplemented with Zalman 92mm fan on bracket at permanent 7v.

2. By "stable" I mean no artifacts after heavy use. At 500MHz core speed there were minor artifacts in Far Cry. At 495, nothing. Artifacts in 3DMark05 only show at 510MHz.

3. 3dMark05 scores: stock = 12140, OC = 12283. Kinda proves how worthless the extra 50MHz really is.

With SLI, there is definitely a CPU bottleneck to contend with. More on the CPU is the trick for a high SLI score.

hoo hooo, i'm getting excited! My card's final results just came in from Viper John. Does 585/1485 with the volt mods for everyday use. We'll see what she'll do for a 3Dmark05 sprint on water!

For some reason, the CEO of swiftech wants to see my card before it goes back to me. I was told he wants to take some pictures. :)

Actually I bought a BFG 7800 GTX when the GTX was released and later on when EVGA had a video card and mobo special going on I bought an EVGA 7800 GT. I can vote only once so I voted on the first one I bought - the BFG card.

bubblethumper said:
hoo hooo, i'm getting excited! My card's final results just came in from Viper John. Does 585/1485 with the volt mods for everyday use. We'll see what she'll do for a 3Dmark05 sprint on water!

For some reason, the CEO of swiftech wants to see my card before it goes back to me. I was told he wants to take some pictures. :)

Mr Hillig does some awesome work. I had him volt mod my evga 6800 UEE and a x800XT PE. If he says it does 585/1485, it will do that 24 x 7. He is really anal about the testing.

HeavyH20 said:
Mr Hillig does some awesome work. I had him volt mod my evga 6800 UEE and a x800XT PE. If he says it does 585/1485, it will do that 24 x 7. He is really anal about the testing.
Yeah, I'm a big fan of his work. Had him do 4 cards for me. And I love that he give 24x7 numbers because I can then fall back on those for gaming. My stock GTX was only able to do about 520 for gaming (that's including the geometric clock-bump-whatever you call it). So about 490 according to coolbits (IIRC).

By the way, that's something that I've been meaning to mention. Are the clocks listed in this thread according to actual mhz or the number in coolbits? I gave you the number that 3dmark05 spits out because that's what 2fresh used. However, I feel like we're getting a mix (which will mess up the data).

For example, my entry in this list is 550mhz (IIRC) which is only about 510 before the geometric clock doohicky. 3dmark05 will say 550 while coolbits says 510. Which are we using?

bubblethumper said:
Yeah, I'm a big fan of his work. Had him do 4 cards for me. And I love that he give 24x7 numbers because I can then fall back on those for gaming. My stock GTX was only able to do about 520 for gaming (that's including the geometric clock-bump-whatever you call it). So about 490 according to coolbits (IIRC).

By the way, that's something that I've been meaning to mention. Are the clocks listed in this thread according to actual mhz or the number in coolbits? I gave you the number that 3dmark05 spits out because that's what 2fresh used. However, I feel like we're getting a mix (which will mess up the data).

For example, my entry in this list is 550mhz (IIRC) which is only about 510 before the geometric clock doohicky. 3dmark05 will say 550 while coolbits says 510. Which are we using?

We are using the set clock via Coolbits or Rivatuner. Not the effective OC value. In retrospect, I suppose I should have made that more clear, since there are two actual values. But, we are looking for the root clock value that you control. I reported mine as 540/1440 but the real clocks are 580/1440.

HeavyH20 said:
We are using the set clock via Coolbits or Rivatuner. Not the effective OC value.
Then I am shamed! :eek:

Redo my score for stock cooling as 511mhz. That's what coolbits was reporting.

Also, just so everyone knows, there are actually 2 different 3D clocks for the 7800s. One is "low powered" and the other is "high powered". Here is an example from my stock GTX:

2D Core = 275Mhz + OMhz GDC = 275Mhz True 2D Core Clock
Low Power 3D Core = 415Mhz + 34Mhz GDC = 459Mhz True LP3D Core Clock
Hi Power 3D Core = 460Mhz + 41Mhz GDC = 501Mhz True HP3D Core Clock

Which mode your card goes into is based on temps (according to VJ)

HeavyH20, can I get my card added to the chart :D ? I know it's not a huge overclock, but it would be cool to head up (nearly) the rear of the pack ;).

GoldenTiger said:
HeavyH20, can I get my card added to the chart :D ? I know it's not a huge overclock, but it would be cool to head up (nearly) the rear of the pack ;).

Sory about that. I must have messed up an edit. I did see your result. I might have submitted the wrong image from imageshack. I promise I will update tonight. I will double check it as well.

bubblethumper said:
Then I am shamed! :eek:

Redo my score for stock cooling as 511mhz. That's what coolbits was reporting.

Also, just so everyone knows, there are actually 2 different 3D clocks for the 7800s. One is "low powered" and the other is "high powered". Here is an example from my stock GTX:

Which mode your card goes into is based on temps (according to VJ)

Actually, the 3D low power is 415 + 35 for 450. You will see it hit that with a throttle or when you transition out of 3D full. Someedit that so that it matches the stock clocks (490 + 40) so that the card basically has no throttle. You also have to change the voltage reference for the 3D low power mode to 1.4V. Not something to do with air cooling.

hehe, that was actually straight out of VJ's perf results. I'm guessing that's a typo. ;)

Yeah, to get around the low powered mode, he bumped up the 2d speed up and of course bumped the voltage up.

HeavyH20 said:
Sory about that. I must have messed up an edit. I did see your result. I might have submitted the wrong image from imageshack. I promise I will update tonight. I will double check it as well.

No problem whatsoever, just figured you might have missed it in the thread :). Thank you.

EDIT: P.S.: The clock speed for the core I listed is what 3dmark detects it as, so I am guessing it probably does include the 45mhz boost (as the control panel is set to 439mhz). The stock is set to 445mhz in the control panel and is detected as 445mhz within 3dmark. Also, I found the BIOS number in the control panel after re-reading your initial post:

BIOS: 5.70.02.13.01

GoldenTiger said:
No problem whatsoever, just figured you might have missed it in the thread :). Thank you.

EDIT: P.S.: The clock speed for the core I listed is what 3dmark detects it as, so I am guessing it probably does include the 45mhz boost (as the control panel is set to 439mhz). The stock is set to 445mhz in the control panel and is detected as 445mhz within 3dmark. Also, I found the BIOS number in the control panel after re-reading your initial post:

BIOS: 5.70.02.13.01

Yes, I have looked at a few GT BIOS's and it appears they are all a little different. The boost happens on some, not on others. Wish I had a GT to flash a few times for testing. Maybe I will have to pick one up for a few days of testing then turn around and sell it for a small loss.

i have been comparing some of the 7800gtx bios' that are out and noticed something - the xfx 7800 ee bios (490/650) has the the throttle speed set the same as the main core speed so for this bios its 490 where as all the other bios i have looked at use 415...

has anybody tried the xfx bios to see if matching the throttle speed to your main core speed helps in overclocking at all??

arctic-k20 said:
i have been comparing some of the 7800gtx bios' that are out and noticed something - the xfx 7800 ee bios (490/650) has the the throttle speed set the same as the main core speed so for this bios its 490 where as all the other bios i have looked at use 415...

has anybody tried the xfx bios to see if matching the throttle speed to your main core speed helps in overclocking at all??

It may help a tad, but, like many XFX owners can verify, the card will artifact when it gets hot. The throttle is a fail safe to drop the card back a bit when things go badly. Usually 450.

Well... my VJ GTX came in and is already on its way back to him. I think I manhandled the card while trying to get the watercooling stuff back together.

:-(

On the bright side, my X800Pro came back from ATI in the form of an X800XT (woot!)

bubblethumper said:
Well... my VJ GTX came in and is already on its way back to him. I think I manhandled the card while trying to get the watercooling stuff back together.

:-(

On the bright side, my X800Pro came back from ATI in the form of an X800XT (woot!)

That is a sad event. Looking forward to see how a water cooled VJ mod 7800 GTX would work.

Come on people! Lets keep this thread going!

Update to my previous entry:

Viper John modded BFG 7800 GTX @ 604/1494 (3dmark05 stable)

Those clocks are true clocks and also the clocks indicated in rivatuner/coolbits because the custom bios I have reduces the geometric clock deal to zero. Basically, what you set is what you get (like in the old days).

Woot!!!

Oh, and BF2 is finally PERFECT! It was a little slow on my system so I send the GTX to viper john and got 2 gigs of corsair ballistix!

what exactly is it that VJ does to get these insanane clocks? Voltage mods? Custom BIOS's?

Well, looks like Viper John has produced the two fastest watercooled cards. Nice card bubblethumper !! 600 plus on the core with watercooling :eek:

Well, I've been experiencing random lockups in BF2 for quite some time. Orginally I thought...stupid game. Then I tinkered with my CPU/FSB/RAM speeds...still the lockage persists!!

Saturday at a lan, I finally conceded in reducing my GPU clock speeds from 485/1400 to 480/1350. The result was 3+ hours of BF2 without a lock! Woohoo! I'll sure miss that extra speed tho :D

m1 grant said:
what exactly is it that VJ does to get these insanane clocks? Voltage mods? Custom BIOS's?
volt mods for sure. I dunno if he changes the bios.

-------

Currently running 513/1320 (was getting artifacts still at 516/1330. So sad b/c I ran 3d05 w/ 526/1330 and got 8008. :( But artifacts everywhere! ) and 3d05 is reporting 7980.

volt mods to the GPU and ram, custom bios, and then he tests the card to find the optimal 24/7-stable voltages and clockspeeds. You then get everything back in the form of a nice little report.

HeavyH20 said:
Well, looks like you now have a killer setup. So, you going to break 10K??
Probably not gonna go for 10k. I could do it with some good ram, but I'm not going to buy some 2x512 sticks just for benching. My system is for gaming afterall.

I might sell this card down the road and get some SLI'd GTs. I think I'd only do it if I get that 24" dell LCD. It's kinda hard to justify it right now since I've got a 20" dell LCD already and the gaming experience is pretty darn good

XFX
7800GTX EE
driver 77.71
stock clocks 490/1.3
Coolbits auto detect; 542/1.4
545/1.4 is the usable OC; still going higher...just got it yesterday :D
idle temp 46C
70MM fan on heatsink
load temp of 58C

Well, that XFX EE looks to be the best example from XFX I have ever seen. The fan mod helps for the idle and load, but that chip looks to be a gem.

VJ got me a new bios and I installed the latest drivers and WHOAH, score jumped a lot.

Broke 10K :D

New VJ bios uses geometric clock again, so my effective clock is now 648mhz. I still have some more room on the core and memory, so I'm hoping to break 10,200

I saw your result on the 3DMark05 thread. I figured you should definitely get past the 10K mark with that card. Hell, I hit 9600 with a stock GTX and a 3200 winnie. Any insight into the VJ BIOS??

Back