The Nvidia 1660 TI Will Launch on February 15 at $279

AlphaAtlas

[H]ard|Gawd
Staff member
Ever since late last year, rumors about a Turing GPU without any ray tracing capabilities have been swirling. Some say it will feature GDDR6 memory on a 192 bit bus, while others claim the "Geforce GTX 1660 TI" will feature a TU116 GPU that's based on different silicon than the RTX 2060.

Now, HardOCP's sources tell us that the Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti will launch on February 15, with an MSRP of $279. The GTX 1660 will launch in early March at $229, while the GTX 1650 will go on sale for $179 in late March. Additionally, Nvidia will continue to supply the 1050 TI to retailers, and its price will drop to keep it competitive. The exact launch prices are still in flux, and any performance figures that show up on the web need to be taken with a grain of salt until independent testers like us get the cards in our labs. But if Nvidia's RTX lineup is too pricey for you, and if you're having trouble finding GTX 10 series cards in stock at major retailers, some cheaper alternatives from Nvidia should be here soon.

Needs 8GB of RAM, then it'll be a winner, especially if it comes in at the lower prices.

Reactions: Jza
like this
Assuming it stays available at that price that is a fine upgrade to anybody running a single 900 series or order, or anybody who needs a bump from a 1050 or something.

Seems like a confusing numbering convention. Why 1660?
Doesn't seem that confusing but I agree that calling it a 2050 or something would be a little clearer. I would need to know more about the chip itself to say for sure.

Hopefully it'll have some improved VR buttery goodness applied to it.

Hopefully it'll have some improved VR buttery goodness applied to it.
Given it is a decent upgrade to a 1060 it would be improved VR, but not terribly great for it in a lot of cases. It would really depend on what you were working with before hand.

Closer to 20% but who's counting.
upload_2019-1-23_12-35-43.png

I agree that the naming convention seems a bit stupid. I'd have understood 1160Ti (and indeed, that's what I read it as at first), but I don't get where the first 6 comes from.

However, if these cards can produce decent additional performance above their 10-series equivalents, at a decent price, then count me in. A 1660 or Ti might be just what I'm looking for. That said, it'll be interesting to see how the 1660Ti compares to the 2060 - depending on the performance differential and the price.

NVIDIA stiffed its RTX lineup with VRAM except for the 2080 TI (The 6GB on the 2060 and the 8GB on the 2070/2080 are all laughable). There's no chance the budget line gets proper amount of VRAM.

Wccftech claims that they have "verified" information of the 1660Ti having 6 GB of GDDR6 RAM. Who their source is is anyone's guess. They say the 1660 (non-TI) will have 6 GB GDDR5.

Link for anyone interested.

NVIDIA stiffed its RTX lineup with VRAM except for the 2080 TI (The 6GB on the 2060 and the 8GB on the 2070/2080 are all laughable). There's no chance the budget line gets proper amount of VRAM.

They don't want the card to last. It needs to "age" quickly to sell more 3000 (or whatever is next) series cards. Make the cards now good for now games only.

At that price still not buying it being the 970 I have works fine at 1080p for everything and works at 1440p fairly well.

If they come out with a 1170 or 11880 that has 8Gb of VRAM I'm gonna be pissed, especially if its priced less than what I paid for my RTX 2060 with.

Needs 8GB of RAM, then it'll be a winner, especially if it comes in at the lower prices.

There is a zero chance this will get 8GB RAM. Not even the RTX 2060 has that much. The logical lineup:

RTX series all at 8GB
Non-RTX 1660 series all at 6GB
1650 and below at 3GB (should be 4GB, none of this "our memory compression is awsum" garbage)

But that's not gonna happen, is it. Because common sense is quite uncommon lately. At least they might stop pretending that the 1060 3GB is a 1060, and maybe that's why the 1650 has that 50 name. Maybe the 1050 successor will be a 1550. If they make the 1660 Ti the 1060 successor and the 1660 the 1060 3GB successor, and the 1650 is the 1050 successor... then I just give up on Nvidia. Their market extortion on consumers has gone to such perverse lengths that the very naming structure has gone out the window.

Still waiting on Navi to see what to buy. C'mon AMD, give me a reason to give you money (other than Freesync, your open standards, etc... it all sounds wonderful but means nothing without compelling performance/price point).

Considering its price level we are probably talking entry-1440p levels of performance or high 1080p levels of performance.

What uses that much VRAM at those resolutions?

I run my 12GB Pascal Titan X at 4k, and I've never seen VRAM usage go above ~5GB.

Considering its price level we are probably talking entry-1440p levels of performance or high 1080p levels of performance.

What uses that much VRAM at those resolutions?

I run my 12GB Pascal Titan X at 4k, and I've never seen VRAM usage go above ~5GB.

Have you tried running 2 games at once? I kid, but that is the only way for me to run out of VRAM.

I think I'd be OK with 6GB for the next year or 2.

The 2060 will then be bought by precisely nobody.
I think the RTX2060 will be a good seller. Its basically a cheaper GTX1070Ti+RTX+DLSS and that's a win in my book.
Of all the RTX cards I think this is the one that makes sense price/performance wise.

they need to give 1070/1080 owners an incentive to upgrade...it needs to be faster then 1070...what's the point of releasing a new non-ray tracing card if it performs on par with an older 1070?

I'm in the same boat... I'm really hoping we see some 2080+ equivalents without the RT crap tacked on at a somewhat reasonable price here soon-ish.

One can dream...

Last edited:
Still waiting on Navi to see what to buy. C'mon AMD, give me a reason to give you money (other than Freesync, your open standards, etc... it all sounds wonderful but means nothing without compelling performance/price point).

but you can use FreeSync monitors with Nvidia now!

I'm in the same boat... I'm really hoping we see some 2080+ equivalents without the RT crap tacked on at a somewhat reasonable price.

One can dream...

with the lack of ray-tracing and DLSS titles plus AMD releasing their new cards this summer I'm guessing Nvidia releases some sort of refresh this summer...otherwise Nvidia has no new cards until 2020

with the lack of ray-tracing and DLSS titles plus AMD releasing their new cards this summer I'm guessing Nvidia releases some sort of refresh this summer...otherwise Nvidia has no new cards until 2020

nvidia has no need to refresh. Unless Navi turns out to be a killer. But I think nvidia can hold till 2020.

So $279 msrp equals what, $380 or so street price? lol...

Right,

MSRP for cards higher than $350 seems to calm down shortly after launch, but everything below $300 in their lineup remains all over the fucking place price wise.

The 1050 ti (which they have no current plans to discontinue) is still anywhere from $160 to $210 (Newegg seller only), which is about $20 over MSRP.

And the GTX 1050 is even worse, as Newegg-only cards range from $120 too $210! That is fucking unacceptable, and can't be blamed on 3rd-party resellers.

Are they going to fix these massive fuckups as part of the "official price cuts," or can we expect more bullshit for this release?

Last edited:
Why? I don't get it. Did someone find a warehouse full of GPUs or something that were supposed to come out 2 years ago?

I think the RTX2060 will be a good seller. Its basically a cheaper GTX1070Ti+RTX+DLSS and that's a win in my book.
Of all the RTX cards I think this is the one that makes sense price/performance wise.

triggered..

i really wish ppl would stop posting it supports RTX... when it isn't really playable at any normal resolution at the one game that supports it...

Agreed, it kind of rounds out the $350 and below sections pretty nicely.

triggered..

i really wish ppl would stop posting it supports RTX... when it isn't really playable at any normal resolution at the one game that supports it...

Its too early to tell if RTX will be playable or not. Supposedly DLSS will make it playable, but who knows.

When the $350 RTX2060 only has 6GB VRAM, they sure as shit will not release a "lesser" card with 8GB.

Reactions: DF-1
like this
Yes, please reward nvidia for it's shitty, anti-consumer practices by buying this because it has a green logo.

Back