*THE* Notebook FAQ

Mr_Evil

2[H]4U
Ok, seeing as how I’m in this board daily, I notice the same questions being asked over and over and over ad nauseum. While there is a sticky FAQ in this forum, it’s for a specific model and I think this board deserves a general notebook FAQ. If I missed something (question or link) feel free to PM me about it and I’ll add it in (if your question and answer is quite long, I’d prefer you PM’d it to me). Mind you these questions are in no particular order or organization. I’ll probably mention several Dells, but that’s only because I’m most familiar with their line-up since I have to work on them every day and all (Been a field tech for the past year)

Please, do NOT post questions in this thread. I try to update the information, but I normally don't check any of the replies. If you have a question that isn't answered here, feel free to make a new thread or PM me with your question.

Q: Can I upgrade the graphics on my Laptop?

A: The short answer is no. The more correct (and subsequently more long-winded) answer is, only in specific circumstances. Say you have model X from company Y. First off the first criterion you have to meet is the Laptop’s graphics must be on a daughter card. If the graphics are soldered onto the motherboard…you can’t upgrade. So say you do have a Video daughter card. Does your laptop currently have the highest option for graphics that your model ever came with? If you answered yes, then no, you can’t upgrade. Ok, so now we have a Laptop with a Video daughter card that doesn’t have the highest level of option that was ever available for that model. Under this circumstance and ONLY this circumstance can you upgrade. Currently major notebook manufacturers design Laptop Video cards SPECIFICALLY for that model. In certain extreme cases your Laptop’s BIOS will only recognize certain models of video cards. So for example, an Inspiron 8xxx series or Latitude C8xx series notebook (they’re the same, just different BIOS) the most you’re gonna upgrade to is the Mobility 9000 Radeon from Ati. And to get that card to run in a Latitude, you’ll have to use Omega drivers since that card was never offered in a latitude.

Granted, Ati and nVidia both have announced a modular system for their PCI Express graphics cards in mobile applications, but as yet few manufacturers have chosen to use the technology. It might be some time before we see modular graphics cards incorporated into Laptop designs.

Q: I’m new to Laptops, what are my options?

A: Whoops, I got another long-winded answer to this one. Seems every week someone is asking this question. Funny thing about Notebooks is there seems to be two distinct sub-segments in the market. Those two being, Ultra-portable, and the High performance Desktop replacement market. Mind you these aren’t the only types you can find, there are PLENTY of models that fall in between these two extremes.

Ultra portables are considered to be under 5 pounds and have smaller screen sizes (under 15”). Because of their light weight and diminutive size they are quite easy to carry around. These laptops normally do not have anything more than Intel graphics but can carry just about any speed Intel Pentium M CPU as well as Wi-Fi. Some models are so small they cannot have an on-board optical drive, however the manufacturers of these systems do give the user options for external drives either with a media “slice” or USB drive. You’ll also find Ultraportables to have the longest battery life (6-7 hours) since they have the smallest screens and in some instances use those ultra tiny notebook hard drives found in MP3 players. You’ll mostly see Intel CPUs and the occasional Transmeta Crusoe in these notebooks.

Some Examples of Ultraportable notebooks are:

Dell Latitude X1

Dell Inspiron 700m

IBM Thinkpad X-series

Fujitsu P1120

Sony VAIO VGN-T140P/L

Desktop Replacement (DTR) notebooks are the grand-daddy, throw out your desktop, cuz this badboy is all you need segment of Laptops. These Laptops can weigh upwards of 10-15 pounds. Have screen sizes 15” or larger (Dell has announced a 19” Widescreen notebook in the future). These laptops also have the highest performance often using Desktop CPUs and near desktop class graphics cards. They have the shortest battery life, often only able to run on battery long enough to get from outlet to outlet (think Strong Bad's Lappy 486). These are really intended more as an easy to carry desktop PC rather than a “Laptop PC” as they run hot enough to probably cause men reproductive problems. Some models feature options like RAID and/or dual optical drives for disk to disk copying.

Another type of DTR worth mentioning is ones equipped with Pentium M CPUs. These notebooks are lighter than their Desktop CPU counterparts in addition to getting twice the battery life. The Inspiron XPS Gen 2 and Inspiron 9300 are examples of this class.

Some Examples of DTR Notebooks:

Dell Inspiron XPS series

Alienware Area 51m

Sager 9880

As in all things there's the mid-range. These notebooks offer the best balance between portability and performance. They'll have good battery life and have plenty of performance for most any Desktop app. They're not on the extreme end for certain, but they are really nice when you're willing to sacrifice a bit of gaming performance for better portability.

Some Examples of our Middleground:

Thinkpad R series

Dell Latitude D610

Now I've COMPLETELY over-simplified things here. There's every type of Laptop in between full-on DTR and Ultraportable segment. And this portion of the FAQ is freakin long enough as it is.

Q: What is centrino?

A: Centrino is Intel’s mobile technology suite designed specifically for notebooks. It consists of three parts, the Pentium M Processor, accompaning Intel Chipset, and Intel Pro wireless. According to Intel a notebook with the Centrino sticker will give you the best battery life and portability. Don’t let that disappoint you though, many non-centrino Laptops carry the Pentium M and Intel chipset but just use a different Wi-Fi card.

Q: How can you say the Pentium M has good performance when it’s clockspeed is so slow?

A: AMD was first to show us that sheer CPU clock frequency was not the sole measure of a CPU’s actual performance. Yes the fastest Pentium M is only 2Ghz, but in head to head benchmarks the Pentium M often performs as good, if not better than a CPU that has 1Ghz more clock speed.

Q: What is Turion?

A:Turion is AMD's answer to Centrino and the Pentium M. Performance is generally on par (we're talking within 10% of each other) with that of the Pentium M when coupled with the same or equivalent video chipset. Power consumption is still something that AMD needs to work on so don't be expecting 4+ hours of run-time on batteries. Turion notebooks are going to be less expensive on the whole compared to Centrino systems. However, it appears that most of the OEMs out there are keeping these processors in budget notebooks with integrated graphics. The Exception being the Acer Ferrari

Q: What can I upgrade on my laptop if I can’t upgrade graphics?

A: You can upgrade these items with little or no trouble (generally speaking). CPU, Memory, Hard Drive, and Optical Drive. For the latter two, sometimes the manufacturer of your notebook might use a special housing for the HDD or Optical, in which case you just have to remove the original drive from this housing and install your replacement. On the newer Inspirons, Dell just has a tiny bracket on the back of the drive secured with two screws, otherwise any Notebook drive will work in the machine. Some notebooks also have a MiniPCI slot where you can add in an internal Wi-Fi card (my Inspiron 8200 sports a Cisco Aironet 350 Wireless card) or upgrade the existing Wi-Fi to the latest standard. Upgrade parts for Laptops have gotten much easier to find in recent years.

NOTE: I recently attempted to upgrade the fixed optical drive in my Latitude C840 notebook with an AOpen DVD-RW drive. The Laptop would not boot from either the Optical drive or the HDD when the DVD-RW was installed in the Fixed optical bay. Luckily I had a Modular CD-ROM drive (which I had bought off eBay for this purpose anyway) to butcher and turn the new DVD-RW into a modular drive. The drive works fine in both the modular bay on the notebook, and in my docking station. I don't know if its an AOpen thing, or a Dell thing, but beware when upgrading Laptop Optical drives that your machine may not like the drive you purchase.

Q: I need a replacement part for my Laptop, where’s the best place to look?

A: I’ve found eBay the best place to find gently used Laptop parts at a good price. I’ve found some online retailers dealing sole-ly in replacement Laptop parts, but they charge double what you can find the same part for on eBay. Most of the time the parts are “working pulls” from Laptops that, for instance had a broken screen. On more popular Notebooks you can find enough parts on eBay to build an entire notebook (Dell’s seem to have the biggest selection of replacement parts) The best advice I can give you is look for the working pulls and stay away from the as-is or untested items. And stick to sellers that guarantee against DOA.

One other little tidbit of note from buying on eBay. I had a customer with an Inspiron 8100 with a bad IDE controller (wouldn't detect Optical or Hard Drives). I managed to find him a new Motherboard for the laptop complete with CPU, RAM, Video card, and DC Power board together for under $200. Seems alot of sellers do that to save work on having to auction each component individually.

Q: I want to build my own Laptop, where do I get parts?

A: Hate to burst your bubble, but the closest you’re going to get to building a Laptop is buying a white box notebook. Essentially this notebook is complete, but lacks memory, CPU, HDD, Optical Drive, and Wi-Fi. You add in those components yourself. The ODMs actually intended resellers to add-in these components to meet the needs of their customers, but some have been selling the White-box notebooks direct to customers whom then later on install the missing pieces. Laptops unfortunately carry a lot of specialized hardware specific to each manufacturer and model unlike a Desktop PC which adheres to standard architecture. It is unlikely that anyone is going to come up with a completely modular notebook since enthusiasts account for so little of the customer base.

Again if I missed something or you wish to add to this FAQ, please let me know and I'll add it in. I haven't had a whole lot of time to dig up links or names of certain vendors, but please feel free to mention them.

Xonik's [H]ard|Forum Notebook [H]ard|Drive buying guide

Quick glossary of terms:
4K, 5K, 7K: Refers to the spindle speed of the disk, 4K = 4200 RPM, 5K = 5400 RPM, 7K = 7200 RPM and 10K = 10000 RPM
2 MB, 8 MB, 16 MB: Refers to the onboard cache available to assist in increasing general read/write performance.
PATA: a variant of the desktop 'IDE' interface, which adds 4 pins (for a total of 44 pins) that supply all the power needed by the drive. Available on just about any system.
SATA: the new serial HDD interface, 7 pin cable, found on only the newest laptops.

General considerations:

Notebook hard drives are currently found in the 2.5" form factor. 3.5" drives are suited for desktop and enterprise computers, while 1.8" and smaller drives are for embedded and/or mobile applications.

Spindle speed is the prime factor in determining notebook hard drive performance. Cache sizes are also a small factor; see here for more information on the effect of cache in desktop hard drives.

Generally, notebook hard drive noise increases with an increase in spindle speed, but keep in mind that the actual noise output is significantly less than the desktop drive of equivalent spindle speed. Check out http://www.silentpcreview.com for a wealth of knowledge regarding noise performance of notebook hard drives.

Many hard drive manufacturers have begun to produce enterprise hard drives in the 2.5" form factor. These drives take advantage of smaller components which improve performance and reduce power consumption and space requirements. However, they are not suitable for a notebook computer because of special interfaces and/or relatively high power consumption. Examples of these drives include the following:

* Seagate Savvio 10K.1
* Fujitsu MAV series of hard drives
* Hitachi TravelStar E series and EnduraStar J and N series of hard drives

With regards to warranties, be aware that notebook hard drive policies often differ from desktop drive warranties. Here is a quick comparison of the policies of the various manufacturers:

Fujitsu - 3 years - Applies to all mobile drives except Enhanced Duty and Extreme Temp models.
Hitachi - 3 years - Applies to all TravelStar 2.5" drives.
Samsung - 3 years - Check with the reseller for specific terms and conditions.
warranty on all of its internal drives, including its Momentus notebook hard drives.

A word on power consumption:

According to Quietest drives available, has 8 MB of onboard cache, high performance for a 4200 RPM drive, 3-year warranty.
Cons: Slow performance compared to 5400 and 7200 RPM notebook drives.
Honorable mentions: Samsung SpinPoint MP0402H (PATA), Seagate Momentus 5400.2 (PATA/SATA) -- both have significantly faster performance due to 5400 RPM spindle speeds, yet still operate very quietly.

Performance: Hitachi TravelStar 7K60, 7K PATA 40/60 GB
Pros: Fastest notebook drive available, low power consumption (comparable to most 5400 RPM notebook drives), nice 3-year warranty.
Cons: ~2x the cost per gigabyte of 5400 RPM notebook drives, slightly louder than most 5400 RPM drives, limited maximum capacity of 60 GB.
Honorable mentions: Hitachi TravelStar 5K100 (PATA/SATA), Seagate Momentus 5400.2 (PATA/SATA), Western Digital Scorpio WD800VE (PATA) -- trades slower performance for greater capacity and less noise at an attractive price per GB.
***Note: Hitachi also manufactures the E7K60, which is a very similar drive, but is designed and tested for the confines of a blade server. Naturally, it lacks the 7K60's power saving features, making it unsuitable for a battery-powered environment.

All-Around: Hitachi TravelStar 5K100, 5K PATA/SATA 20/40/60/80/100 GB
Pros: Storage capacity up to 100 GB, well-rounded performance, 8 MB cache, mature design, nice 3-year warranty.
Cons: Less responsive in applications than its 7200 RPM cousin, slightly louder than other 5400 RPM notebook drives.
Honorable mentions: Seagate Momentus 5400.2 (PATA/SATA), Western Digital Scorpio WD800VE (PATA), Samsung SpinPoint MP0402H (PATA).

Budget: Western Digital Scorpio WD400VE, 5K PATA 40 GB
Western Digital's first jump into the notebook market has yielded a drive with solid performance, quiet operation, and a great 3-year warranty. Best of all, the drive currently delivers the best price in the 40 GB capacity bracket.
Honorable Mention: Samsung SpinPoint MP0402H (PATA) -- nearly identically priced, this drive delivers roughly comparable performance and the same 3 year warranty, but it also runs arguably quieter than the WD Scorpio.

The Emachines M6805 FAQ can be found here.
FAQ for Emachines M6805

Good stuff. A question i hoped to see answered (not saying you didn't answer a lot of mine already) is whether, from the scope of all laptops out there right now, is a laptop with Centrino really the way to go?

Pixeleet said:
Good stuff. A question i hoped to see answered (not saying you didn't answer a lot of mine already) is whether, from the scope of all laptops out there right now, is a laptop with Centrino really the way to go?
I tried to make the FAQ so far as general as possible, that way someone can create a "reccomend me a" thread without the first three replies being "READ THE FAQ YOU FUCKIN N00B!" I'm trying not to make any reccomendations but more or less just put out all the facts about notebooks where someone can make their own assertion as to what they want. That and I didn't want to make it sound like I was a fan-boi or biased towards any platform or brand. But IMO Centrino is currently the way to go as far as notebooks are concerned.

needs more formatting. Found that hard to tell difference between questions and answers.
Try making some portion of the questions in red, number them, sort, something, and start the answers in green. (remove the spaces next to the outside brackets)
Code:
[color=red][ color=red]text here[/color ][/color]
[color=green][ color=green]text here[/color ][/color]

OH NO, now I have purdy colors for the questions. I think coloring the questions different from the answers is sufficient. It's pretty obvious to me that the white text below the question is the answer.

Mr_Evil said:
But IMO Centrino is currently the way to go as far as notebooks are concerned.
Even vs. a powerbook/ibook? Or is that just simple apple preference over PC?

Pixeleet said:
Even vs. a powerbook/ibook? Or is that just simple apple preference over PC?
Good point, but don't forget, that most likley centrinos are going to be in apple notebooks here soon anyways :D

Most likley, august or later according to the rumors, it seems the mobile market is where they might start with the new intel hardware.
The mac vs PC debate is hard to tackle apples to apples (pardon the pun), because of the lack of a common OS to test stuff on. They really do differ with intended usage of the laptop. What will you be using the laptop for Pixeleet?

I do think that this did bring up the issue that powerPC should at least be mentioned, in this FAQ, even if it is going out soon.

For college (CS major) and business both. The business i started with some friends does mainly computer consulting, but I imagine that I'll be doing most of my testing work on desktops, just using the laptop to get from meeting to meeting. I do not believe in desktop replacements (just because my desktop, in the sig, rocks as it is). However, i'm not that wall learned with laptops, so I don't know whether an ultra portable is enough power for me. You [h]'ers probably know better than me :)

Pixeleet said:
For college (CS major) and business both. The business i started with some friends does mainly computer consulting, but I imagine that I'll be doing most of my testing work on desktops, just using the laptop to get from meeting to meeting. I do not believe in desktop replacements (just because my desktop, in the sig, rocks as it is). However, i'm not that wall learned with laptops, so I don't know whether an ultra portable is enough power for me. You [h]'ers probably know better than me :)
The company you started does computer consulting (if you did Mac consulting you woulda said so)... Stick with what you work on.

and Evil, great start on getting a sticky

In order to avoid a flame war and too much fluff in this great FAQ thread, i've created a new thread for Pixel's laptop question
here

Nace FAQ, I recommend one distinction though... Separate the DTR's that use desktop CPU's from those that use centrino, since ones like the 9300 can get 3+ hours of battery life with real computing, vs the desktop chip ones that can barely get one.

HOLY CRAP! It's a sticky, and I took your suggestion lopoetve, I made a note about the Pentium M DTRs.

Mr_Evil said:
Q: What is Turion?

A:Turion is AMD's answer to Centrino and the Pentium M. Unfortunately benchmarks have shown Turion to not deliver on AMD's promises. Turion is slower, hotter, and more power hungry than a comparable Centrino based notebook. If you're looking for AMD in a notebook, you best stick with the behemoth DTRs. About the only merit to Turion is its support of 64bit computing. Intel won't release a 64bit Pentium M till next year at the earliest.

I've narrowed my search for a notebook down to mostly the Travelmate 8104 and the Ferrari 4005, which are both considered almost the same except the TM has the Pentium M and the Ferrari has the Turion, both at 2.0ghz. I was wondering if you would mind telling me where I could find some benchmarks for the Turion that compare it to the P-M showing that the Turion is slower, hotter and more power hungry. It would really help me make my decision. Thanks!

Potential customers, however, should be aware that Turion barely beat Pentium-M on numerous benchmarks even with the deck stacked in its favor. And it killed Pentium-M in gaming and digital media tests because AMD had ATI and a higher-powered chip on its side. An Itanium laptop would surely crush either of these chips on any benchmark - in those few minutes available before it melted to the desk. AMD should have picked processors with similar power envelopes and graphics.

Original Article

That's all I could find with Google, I beleive there was another Article at Ars (or Anand, can't remember) That did a side by side comparison between the Turion on the PM in a desktop machine. AMD won't talk about Turion's battery performance if that tells you anything. Also, Turion is using the ginormous Socket 754...How small a notebook you think they can get with such a bigass processor? I'm still going to say go with Centrino...I mean the Pentium M was the reason Apple switched to Intel X86.

Mr_Evil said:

Original Article

That's all I could find with Google, I beleive there was another Article at Ars (or Anand, can't remember) That did a side by side comparison between the Turion on the PM in a desktop machine. AMD won't talk about Turion's battery performance if that tells you anything. Also, Turion is using the ginormous Socket 754...How small a notebook you think they can get with such a bigass processor? I'm still going to say go with Centrino...I mean the Pentium M was the reason Apple switched to Intel X86.

I'm not going to lie, that article is hardly relevant anymore considering that there are a few Turion notebooks out in the market now and they CAN be compared to P-Ms. I hopped over to Anandtech and they did an article about the Turion . They said that it is basically a rebranded Athlon 64 chip. They linked to a comparison between the Athlon 64 3000+ and the Pentium M 755. They two processors both had their strengths and weaknesses in different situations, but they rarely outperformed their competitor by a huge margin. As you suggested, Turion won't be seen in the thin and light notebooks, but I'm talking about the middlesized notebooks (15.4" screen, ~6.5 lbs, etc). I don't want to bring in specific notebooks, but basically, the best way to compare the Turion to the P-M is to compare the Acer Travelmate 8104 to the Acer Ferrari 4005 because these two notebooks are configured so similarly (the main difference other than AMD and Intel is that the X700 is clocked slightly lower in the TM for some reason). Once the X700 is clocked the same on both machines, they perform very similarly as well. The questions about battery life can be answered now. From the reviews I've read the Ferrari gets about 3 hours and 30 minutes tops and the TM has a similar life, sometimes 10-20 minutes longer. Also keep in mind that the TM still has the underclocked video card in most of these situations.

Now I'm not saying which of these processors is better in my opinion, but I don't think it is fair to bash something before it has a chance to show what it can do.

EDIT: I forgot to add this so I don't get flamed about it. I realize that the 755 was the 400mhz FSB version and that the newer versions now have a 533mhz FSB, but the above notebook comparison uses a 533mhz FSB.

Thanks to all of you who contributed to this thread.

I just bought my first laptop after researching them for about a week. This thread got me started.

Inspiron 9300

Pentium M 760 (2ghz/544MHz FSB)
17 inch USW XGA+
2GB OCZ SoDIMM RAM
256mb 6800 GO
60GB 7200 RPM HDD
6-cell primary battery
9-cell spare batterySpare AC adapter

Kiyo said:
I've narrowed my search for a notebook down to mostly the Travelmate 8104 and the Ferrari 4005, which are both considered almost the same except the TM has the Pentium M and the Ferrari has the Turion, both at 2.0ghz. I was wondering if you would mind telling me where I could find some benchmarks for the Turion that compare it to the P-M showing that the Turion is slower, hotter and more power hungry. It would really help me make my decision. Thanks!

I personally have the TravelMate 8104 and I am still amazed by it. It's very very powerful (the M 760 processor is blaaazing) and in general I am not let down at all. I do all my work-work on it, and in my free time I play half-life 2 and ut2004 and nfsu:2 and many other games, and they all work so well in widescreen on this machine.

the amount of juice in the thing is crazy, and it's just over 6lbs, which in my books is pretty damn semi-portable. Sure, if I were carrying it all over campus all day long, I might want to opt for something lighter like a 700m or so (god I cant stand crap Dell computers), but for my purposes, it comes with me to work, and I take it home from work, and I feel no strain at all.

i got a refurb on eBay with no dead pixels and no problems that I have witnessed for $1500 free shipping. :cool: i almost bought the ferrari but this one is much better i think.

i got a compaq last august for $800. I think you can get a great deal at circuit city, plus 24 mo. free financing. I insist on an AMD processor for personal reasons and I think HP/Compaq make some of the nicest notebooks you can find. The new special edition Lance Armstrong is sweet. I don't game on it. Sometimes I play sid meyers golf but that's about it. I have a gaming rig at home. The notebook is for internet, work, watching movies. Every DeLL I've seen in person is a substandard POS and I'd NEVER buy one.

I might want to opt for something lighter like a 700m or so (god I cant stand crap Dell computers)

If it makes you feel any better about Dell laptops, they don't manufacture them. The 700m is made by Winstron.

It doesn't appear Dell even had a hand in its design. It's looks to be almost the exact same laptop Wistron was already selling to Hitachi. Compare the Hitachi Prius J Series to the Dell 700m. Wistron also sells the same model to Aopen as the Aopen 1551.

That it's the same model as the Hitachi is also supported by an old Digitimes article. "Hitachi was the first notebook maker to offers 2-spindle 12.1-inch wide-screen notebooks. Wistron’s proposed 12.1-inch notebook is the same model as Hitachi’s, according to sources from the industry." Digitimes

When Dell runs one of their good sales, you can get a full equiped 700m for almost the same price as a white box Aopen 1551. While I don't buy any of Dell's desktops, I do have a 700m.

I also want to call the Turion info into question.

I'm not going to argue that the Centrino can perform better in some respects. I've had a 745 P-m, and a 715 P-m and love them. My Turion performs just as well, although I wish I could clock it lower than 800mhz for power saving modes. I'm not going to argue battery life either, as the laptops I had (T42P and the Ferrari) both have similar battery lives, although I had the T42P running 2 hdds at once (it still had a 9 cell where my Ferrari has an 8 cell).

However, I do argue with telling people that a DTR A64 is better than the Turion.

The Turion allows the laptops to be the same formfactor as the Centrino laptops (especially in the case of the Ferrari 4005 and Travelmate 8104), have a better battery life than the DTR A64s, and run a hell of a lot cooler than the A64s. At least, this has been the case w/ my Ferrari 4005 vs my M6805.

I'd whole-heartedly reccomend a Turion over a regular A64.

The craftsmanship of Dell computers isn't the problem. It's the software. This is true with every pre-built company out there (Hewlett Packard/Compaq). They load you with shit you don't need. Do yourself a favor and format it as soon as you get it.

My i9300 was so bogged down with unnecessary shit when I first got it. It's blazing fast now that I've formatted and only installed what I deem to be important programs.

Under the heading regarding the performance of the Centrino despite the lower clockspeed, an informing review on this subject is available over on Tom's Hardware.

In summary, the Centrino (at around 2ghz and above) trumps the Pentium 4 EE and the Athlon FX's when placed in a desktop.

As for being *THE* Notebook FAQ, it definitely needs an additional laptop option, namely the thin-and-light notebooks, like the IBM T-series.
This category of notebooks offer a great balance between portability and power, without the obvious compromises of DTR and ultra-portables.

In my T42 is a Radeon 9600 GPU, which allows me to play many different games, but at the same time, the laptop is only 2.2kg including optical drive.

Esben said:
As for being *THE* Notebook FAQ, it definitely needs an additional laptop option, namely the thin-and-light notebooks, like the IBM T-series.
This category of notebooks offer a great balance between portability and power, without the obvious compromises of DTR and ultra-portables.

In my T42 is a Radeon 9600 GPU, which allows me to play many different games, but at the same time, the laptop is only 2.2kg including optical drive.
I added them in as the midrange or middleground. I equate thin and Light with the Ultraportables since they are thinner and lighter than the T Series.

Mr_Evil said:
I added them in as the midrange or middleground. I equate thin and Light with the Ultraportables since they are thinner and lighter than the T Series.
Very nice, thanks for giving credit to the T-series.

Mr_Evil said:

Thinner? A 14" T42 is 1" thick. a 12.1" X30 is 1" thick

Lighter? A 14" T42 is 4.5 lbs. a 15" 42 is 5.2 lbs. The X30 was 3.8lbs.

The T Series is the EPITOME of Thin & Light.

Any larger (R series, for example), and it'd be in the mainstream.

Ultraportable: typically less than 4 lbs. ex. IBM X series
Thin & Light: typically 4-5.5 lbs. ex. IBM T Series
Mainstream: typically 5.5-7.5 lbs. ex. IBM R Series
DTR: typically 7.5lbs + ex. Dell 9300.

And you still need to adjust your Turion information. Your reccomending a DTR model over a Turion is absolutely idiotic. Why would you reccomend a system that:
1. Runs hotter
2. Gives less battery life
3. Does not have SSE3
when a Turion runs cooler, longer, and does offer SSE3?

I'm ignoring Centrino/Turion performance, even though the Ferrari 4005WLMI has repeatedly proven to perform better than the comparable Travelmate 8001 at a battery life difference of half an hour... I'm just looking at Turion 64 vs Athlon 64.

At this point, no one going for an Athlon64 based notebook should be getting something other than Turion if it's available.

I will organize this FAQ the way I see fit, and right now we're just playing a Semantics game.

You could at least make it more accurate in certain parts (such as the thin & light). The T series is something all together different than Toshiba's Tecras, which are definitely in the middle ground (mainstream). The only thing thinner and lighter than a 14" T4x is an ultraportable.

And you should definitely update the Turion information. Your "semantics" are just plain wrong and misleading. You make it out to be an inferior chip, when, in fact, a Turion system can outperform a similar Centrino system.

Granted, this isn't true for every situation in a Centrino/Turion comparison...but it -is- true in a Turion/Athlon64 Mobile comparison.

You show me one person that says a Venice is inferior to a Clawhammer and I'll show you an idiot. By that same sentiment, the Lancastar (Turion) offers every advantage over it's mobile brethren that the Venice offers over it's other 939 brethren.

You organized the FAQ. It's your duty to keep it accurate and up to date. Don't go the path that I did with the M6805 FAQ, where I gave up paying attention to it and updating it once I no longer had the system.

You've been given the information. You have the links. Why not make it accurate in the first post rather than having the factual and up-to-date information in the 29th, 36th, and 38th posts(for Turion), and 32nd and 36th posts (Thin & Light)?

WickedAngel said:
My i9300 was so bogged down with unnecessary shit when I first got it. It's blazing fast now that I've formatted and only installed what I deem to be important programs.

Just curious, but would doing that void any part of your warranty?

I ask cuz I have a Dell 6000 on order and the first thing I was planning to do was t reformat and install my OS and my programs.

Back