The North Pole Is Now a Lake

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
The North Pole is getting warmer. That is an indisputable fact that you can blame on global warming, a freak rise in temperatures, solar flares, alien activity or whatever you choose, but the fact is the top of the world is now a shallow lake. The main thing that scares me the most right now is the thought of Santa and all the elves running around in green and red speedos. :D

Throughout July temperatures have been uncharacteristically high—up to 1-3°C higher than usual on July 13th, for instance—and the result has been an abrupt thaw of the snow cover that was left.

Oh noes!! We gonna die! Hopefully Sculelos won't see this thread.

On a serious note, this is a problem that I think is to late to fix.

I would like to see less of this type of content on the front page.
lol... you've been here long enough to know that they post whatever the F they want. That's one of the nice things about the front page.

As far as the Arctic... steady downward trend in terms of the yearly amount of ice, but we are actually looking a bit better than last year. I don't think we have much shot of beating out last years record minimum this year, so that's good.

Sadly there could be profound geopolitical implications of an ice free arctic or antarctic (as well as the natural consequences of animal extinctions) since both areas are not currently considered part of one country ... it will only take the discovery of one of the many dwindling natural resources there to promote conflict to establish clear national ownership of the resource :(

I tend to agree with John F Kennedy on many of our problems, including Global Warming ... "Our problems are man-made, therefore they may be solved by man. And man can be as big as he wants. No problem of human destiny is beyond human beings. Man's reason and spirit have often solved the seemingly unsolvable--and we believe they can do it again."

Sadly there could be profound geopolitical implications of an ice free arctic or antarctic (as well as the natural consequences of animal extinctions) since both areas are not currently considered part of one country ... it will only take the discovery of one of the many dwindling natural resources there to promote conflict to establish clear national ownership of the resource :(

I tend to agree with John F Kennedy on many of our problems, including Global Warming ... "Our problems are man-made, therefore they may be solved by man. And man can be as big as he wants. No problem of human destiny is beyond human beings. Man's reason and spirit have often solved the seemingly unsolvable--and we believe they can do it again."
Awesome way to describe it. Bravo. QFT.

The Russians were planning on cutting a permanent path through it anyhow with nuclear explosives.

From Article:

Fact: This summer in July, the average temp was 1-3° C higher.

Fiction: The melting snow is proof of global warming.

The average modern temperature at the North Pole is right at the melting point for snow, 0°C. Sometimes it gets as warm as 5°C. 1-3°C are within normal variation.

Meanwhile I sit here in the Great Lakes region and the temp today in the middle of summer is 66 degrees. This is the coolest July I have seen in years. The earth is not climate controlled. The temps can be anything at any time and will not be the exact same on the same date each year. They are trying to claim there is a man made problem that they can make me pay for. I am fed up with the scams. It is summer at the north pole. 6 months from now they will say ice is melting at the south pole, as it will be summer down there. Duh...

Meanwhile I sit here in the Great Lakes region and the temp today in the middle of summer is 66 degrees. This is the coolest July I have seen in years. The earth is not climate controlled. The temps can be anything at any time and will not be the exact same on the same date each year. They are trying to claim there is a man made problem that they can make me pay for. I am fed up with the scams. It is summer at the north pole. 6 months from now they will say ice is melting at the south pole, as it will be summer down there. Duh...

You know the temps are taken as a global average right? Cool summer days in Michigan doesn't mean all is well.

"Its 66degrees where I live, therefore global warming doesn't exist"

Wow. Just wow

It happens every year. Yup, it dose. Every year. Did it happen 40 years ago? yup. It did. It dose.

We created the Sun and its normal variance in solar output and placed the Earth with its cyclical orbit and inclination variations? Wow. And we created the earth with its natural climate whose variations in the past 50 years have been consistent with its level of variation in the time before the last 50 years? Wow.

We created the Sun and its normal variance in solar output and placed the Earth with its cyclical orbit and inclination variations? Wow. And we created the earth with its natural climate whose variations in the past 50 years have been consistent with its level of variation in the time before the last 50 years? Wow.

Yeah totally, we sequestered all that carbon dioxide millions of years ago and decided we want to use it now hell most of the cars we drive aren't even dinosaur sized so we're all good!

Let it melt. It's not like it has not b4, or that it will not freeze over again. The cycle continues as it has for millions of years. We can't stop it, and the dirty science behind blaming humanity for it, in part or wholly, is rife with dirty politics, and the backing of the multibillion $$$ green industry. Is climate change real? Sure. Are we responsible or is this part of the normal cycle? Who the hell is there left to trust on that? AFAIK the academic and scientific community of the climate change religion are all bought and paid for. I believe them like I believe Al Gore. Those guys are on the same level as lawyers of the ambulance chasing schiester variety, and Detroit or Chicago politicians. They barely register as human, so why would I put faith in them? One does not need tinfoil to see they are playing dirty.

Meanwhile, where I live, we are having the coolest and wettest July in 80 years. Of course it is still with in a couple degrees of normal, so it's not like it is some huge deal. Of course had it been a couple of degrees hotter, the paper would have been full of gloom and doom BS.

OMG the world is going to end!!!!11111 This obviously makes global warming 100% true.

Seriously why is this even posted?

Article said:
It's worth pointing out that this isn't the first time there's been a meltwater lake at the North Pole, nor is it the worst (it's also worth pointing out that this is just at the pole, and not across the entire ice cap). And we certainly shouldn't draw climate change conclusions from what is realistically one data point. But it should at least make us think about what we're doing to the planet.

Who the hell is there left to trust on that? AFAIK the academic and scientific community of the climate change religion are all bought and paid for. I believe them like I believe Al Gore. Those guys are on the same level as lawyers of the ambulance chasing schiester variety, and Detroit or Chicago politicians. They barely register as human, so why would I put faith in them? One does not need tinfoil to see they are playing dirty.
That's a pretty disgusting thing to say about people you have never met. I work with many climate scientists and your gut feeling on the issue couldn't be more incorrect. They would at least have the decency to not call you subhuman for disagreeing with their results.

Fact 1977: SST jets will cause massive ozone depletion and global warming.
Fact 2013: SST jets are unlikely to have any significant effect.

Thank goodness we killed them off before any real data existed, or we might have supersonic travel to all points on the globe by now at an affordable price.

By by texas. Oklahoma will finally have a beach near the "New" Gulf of Mexico!

That's a pretty disgusting thing to say about people you have never met. I work with many climate scientists and your gut feeling on the issue couldn't be more incorrect. They would at least have the decency to not call you subhuman for disagreeing with their results.

It's the truth as I see it. And without bothering to go into the email scandals, or the funding scandals, or the outright failure of their models, I am just going to say neither they, nor yourself have offered me anything to make me think otherwise. We are prolly going to have to agree to disagree, on the both the subject of climate change, and my perception of the character of the climate change scientists/politicians/industry/religion.

Fuck Global Warming. It's belongs in the same box as Unicorns, Fairies and Leprechauns.

Its the only kind of reaction you'll get here. Don't expect cooler heads to prevail on this topic.

Yeah totally, we sequestered all that carbon dioxide millions of years ago and decided we want to use it now hell most of the cars we drive aren't even dinosaur sized so we're all good!
Because the world never changed temperature before 1940 and widespread adoption of cars.
:rolleyes:

Denial is not a good policy.

not to mention getting all hung up on "global warming" in the first place. It's "climate change", not "global warming". Climate change involves much much more than mere temperature changes of this planet.

Because the world never changed temperature before 1940 and widespread adoption of cars.
:rolleyes:

Not at the rate it's changing today.

At this point the evidence is pretty clear. Denying man-made global warming is like denying smoking causes cancer. The debate has shifted to figuring out who has the most accurate model for out predicting what the long-term impact is going to be.

Not at the rate it's changing today.

At this point the evidence is pretty clear. Denying man-made global warming is like denying smoking causes cancer. The debate has shifted to figuring out who has the most accurate model for out predicting what the long-term impact is going to be.

Don't bother , you won't get any common sense here. It won't be until all the coasts are under 3 or 4 more feet of water that the more stubborn will begin to consider the truth.

Let it melt. It's not like it has not b4, or that it will not freeze over again. The cycle continues as it has for millions of years. We can't stop it, and the dirty science behind blaming humanity for it, in part or wholly, is rife with dirty politics, and the backing of the multibillion $$$ green industry. Is climate change real? Sure. Are we responsible or is this part of the normal cycle? Who the hell is there left to trust on that? AFAIK the academic and scientific community of the climate change religion are all bought and paid for. I believe them like I believe Al Gore. Those guys are on the same level as lawyers of the ambulance chasing schiester variety, and Detroit or Chicago politicians. They barely register as human, so why would I put faith in them? One does not need tinfoil to see they are playing dirty.

Meanwhile, where I live, we are having the coolest and wettest July in 80 years. Of course it is still with in a couple degrees of normal, so it's not like it is some huge deal. Of course had it been a couple of degrees hotter, the paper would have been full of gloom and doom BS.

You know what's sadder? People like you who believes that Al Gore is the only one saying things like this. As if all of the thousands of scientists out there who talks about this never said a word. Get off your Al Gore horse blinds and start listening to people that matter. Climate change is very real and it's very much man-made.

I am not a Taoist ... I do not believe in ignoring problems with the hopes they will go away ... whether we caused the climate change or not, WE (humanity) are more than capable of dealing with it (if we so choose) ... we survived the much more dangerous near extinction event of Toba that nearly wiped out humanity (and that was without technology) ... we are capable of dealing with climate change (regardless of its root cause) and it is only our lack of vision that limits our capabilities ... we once had big dreams that led us to put human beings on the surface of another world ... it is time for us to dream big again ;)

I believe that the Earth has natural climate cycles, I mean, it went through an Ice Age without OUR help. But I don't think we are affecting the climate. It has warm cycles, and cold cycles, and mild cycles. It's doing its own thing just fine, we aren't affecting it.

It's the truth as I see it. And without bothering to go into the email scandals, or the funding scandals, or the outright failure of their models, I am just going to say neither they, nor yourself have offered me anything to make me think otherwise. We are prolly going to have to agree to disagree, on the both the subject of climate change, and my perception of the character of the climate change scientists/politicians/industry/religion.
I feel sorry for you. Honestly. To harbor such hate for people you've never even met. I hope you become a happier human being some day.

Don't bother , you won't get any common sense here. It won't be until all the coasts are under 3 or 4 more feet of water that the more stubborn will begin to consider the truth.

Please provide some kind of facts to back up what you are saying.

I believe that the Earth has natural climate cycles, I mean, it went through an Ice Age without OUR help. But I don't think we are affecting the climate. It has warm cycles, and cold cycles, and mild cycles. It's doing its own thing just fine, we aren't affecting it.

This x100000

the earth has never had anything close to humans before we got here, everything we do potentially impacts the planet in ways it's never had to deal with before.

It's pretty ridiculous to think that we have had no impact on the planet's climate. Hell, just look at the way cities store heat because of all the concrete, that's easy to see, and it's just one blatantly obvious way we have in fact changed the climate.

The science of climate change is real, refusing to believe it for whatever reason is refusing to believe science is real.

I am ashamed of the ignorance displayed by peoples around here.
Global warming due to human activity is a fact.

What you believe is irrelevant.
What is important is the data and the data shows that human activity is the key factor that results in the global warming that is currently experienced.

Of course, earth has been subject to climate change (in some cases, followed by massive species extinction by the way) but this time natural earth climate cycle is not the culprit.

He didn't call them "subhuman". He said they "barely register as human". In other words, "human, but only just".

It's interesting that we expect to be able to read the deepest, most complex intricacies of the Earth when the majority of us can't even read the plainest English. The former is multiple orders of magnitude more complex, yet the latter we struggle with inordinately.

Back