The Nintendo 64 Classic Could Be Arriving Soon

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Nintendo’s rumored follow-up to the SNES Classic could be coming by the end of this year: a trademark application filed for a brand-new N64 controller graphic by the company last summer has finally been registered and published by the European Union Intellectual Property Office (EUIPO). The style of the graphic is consistent with what was on the boxes for the NES and SNES Classic, leading many to believe an N64 Classic is inevitable.

It’s not 100 percent certain that Nintendo is producing an N64 Classic Edition, but plenty of signs suggest this is the case. The next question, then, is when we might see it launch. With the company’s previous devices arriving in late 2016 and September 2017, a release in time for the holidays seems plausible. Nintendo might also be looking to compete against Sony, which is releasing the PlayStation Classic on December 3.

This would be awesome! The N64 had some of the best games I've ever played, and it's been years since I've held an N64 controller in my hands. This would go nicely with my SNES Classic Edition.

The real value is the upscaling capability of these things. N64 is not so easy to get the best p.q. out of so this is a much cheaper and easier route.

That's a must buy for me. Hell I still play N64 games on an emulator now and then.

I can remember the day I bought my N64 new with a copy of Mario 64... it was amazing. That damn wonky ass camera though! :p

That's a must buy for me. Hell I still play N64 games on an emulator now and then.

I actually just got finished playing Wrestlemania 2000 lol. N64 has some great games.

I was kind of disappointed that the Nintendo 64 or (ultra 64) never had Killer Instinct 1 on it, even though it was advertised on the arcade. KI2 came to the 64 but was downgraded for performance issues. Still a lot of fun though.

I'd probably buy that one if it has , Wrestlemania 2000, WCW vs NWO Revenge on it. Those wrestling games for the 64 are AMAZING & really fun with 4 players!
Doubt it. Don't count on games that could potentially have licensing issuse like any sports game using real people.

I can remember the day I bought my N64 new with a copy of Mario 64... it was amazing. That damn wonky ass camera though! :p

Check out Mario 64: Last Impact, Green Stars, and Star Road.... (you'll thank me later ;) )

Last Impact especially.... it means BUSINESS.

Needs GoldenEye 007 and 4 controller ports or its a flop.

I wonder how/if that would work with Rare being owned by Microsoft now. I'm not saying it's impossible, but that might be a speedbump.

For me the must-have games would be:

- Goldeneye
- Mario Kart
- Ocarina of Time (Though I suspect this is coming for the switch, so might be omitted here)
- Donkey Kong (Fight me, I loved this game)
- Mario 64
- Smash Bros
- Mario Party
- Jet Force Gemini (another Rare title that would have to be figured out)
- Star Wars Rogue Squadron (with the cheats that let me fly a Cadillac under an AT-AT)

Donkey Kong (Fight me, I loved this game)

4wb2h.jpg

Play Banjo-Kazooie you cretin!

I agree with the rest of your list (but again, I suspect Goldeneye won't make it)

I'd want:

Super Mario 64 *
Starfox 64 *
Mario Kart 64 *
Ocarina of Time / Majoras Mask *
Super Smash Bros *
Mario Party (whichever one's best, I don't play this) *
Rogue Squadron *
Banjo-Kazooie *
Perfect Dark (if they can't do Goldeneye) *
Wave Race 64 *
F-Zero X *
Jet Force Gemini
Blast Corps
Star Wars: Episode 1 Racer
Ogre Battle 64 (maybe.... please)
Mischief Makers (I know, I know.... I'm dreaming)
Beetle Adventure Racing
Rayman 2: The Great Escape
Excitebike 64

- the games with an asterisk are pretty much required inclusions

Golden Eye 64 is probably impossible because of the movie tie in rights.

I’m glad I’ve got an almost complete n64 collection but want one with the soldered in HDMI port. Future proof.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned how critical the controller is - it is almost impossible to get a quality original controller with a fully functional thumbstick, and no copy, or modern version, comes close to the feel. Games just are not the same without it.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned how critical the controller is - it is almost impossible to get a quality original controller with a fully functional thumbstick, and no copy, or modern version, comes close to the feel. Games just are not the same without it.
pfft the controller sucked. id rather remap to an xb1 controller.

The Retrolink 64 controller is serviceable:

www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008L3UUPS/ref=as_at/

Otherwise, a 360 controller is actually preferred....

(Albeit, if you're doing Mario64 speedruns, you might want a real refurbished controller and mayflash adapter. But that's really just reserved for the hardcore.)

I have a legit 64 collection /w several cherry controllers and honestly, unless your super-picky, just pick up a retrolink and call it a day.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
The Retrolink 64 controller is serviceable:

www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008L3UUPS/ref=as_at/

Otherwise, a 360 controller is actually preferred....

(Albeit, if you're doing Mario64 speedruns, you might want a real refurbished controller and mayflash adapter. But that's really just reserved for the hardcore.)

I have a legit 64 collection /w several cherry controllers and honestly, unless your super-picky, just pick up a retrolink and call it a day.

I had a chuckle at "Mario 64 speedruns" :) I am a terrible player these days with my vision. It's purely the FEEL of it. It was just perfect. I tried mario kart powersliding with some a) old worn original controllers b) Some new copies and it was so much more difficult. My thumb just knew it wasn't the same :) There was just something glorious about that elasticky, analogue feel.

I've not tried the specific controller you linked to. Are you saying it feels just like the original ones do? If so, it prob won't be available in the UK just to spite me :p

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Are you saying it feels just like the original ones do? If so, it prob won't be available in the UK just to spite me :p

Analogy -

SNES controller (is to) iBuffalo USB controller

AS

N64 controller (is to) Retrolink controller

Meaning, its as good as it gets unless you wanna fork over the bucks for the real deal.

I've never understood why the N64 was so much less successful than the Playstation. The games were good and have mostly held up with age despite the graphical limitations. There aren't a whole lot of PS1 games I feel the urge to emulate. The only real downside to the N64 was the weird controller.

I don't think it's nostalgia, I'm not a console person or Nintendo fanboy. I just really like the games on the N64.

My fav Nintendo system. Get the good "Rare" games and i'm sold.

I've never understood why the N64 was so much less successful than the Playstation. The games were good and have mostly held up with age despite the graphical limitations. There aren't a whole lot of PS1 games I feel the urge to emulate. The only real downside to the N64 was the weird controller.

I don't think it's nostalgia, I'm not a console person or Nintendo fanboy. I just really like the games on the N64.
That is your opinion. JRPG we're the craze then. It was something the psx had a ton of. Quality ones at that.

It had carts, that severely limited the kinds of games it could use. All the major studios also shifted support to the PS1. Then there were JRPGs, something Nintendo didn't get many of. Sony's marketing was also insanely good at the time.

Cost.
When these were retail. N64 games were 10-15 US dollars more expensive than PS1 games.

At the time cartridges were seen as old technology. They couldn't store much information and CD ROMs coat pennies to manufacture. Software companies could print a dozen PS1 games for the cost of 1 N64 title.

That's not even considering Sony's greatest hits which dramatically dropped the price of their best selling games. N64 games never dropped in price. Golden Eye was $64.99 when Metal Gear Solid was $39.99.

A lot of important PlayStation 1 games got greatest hits rereleased for lower prices. Nintendo 64 games never got rereleased.

Then you have to think about variety. PS1 had 10 titles to choose from for every 1 N64 had.

They weren't all good, there was a ton of shovel-ware.

PS1 had what seemed like every 3rd party developer on board.

The Babbages I worked at had probably 6 times as many shelves for PS1 games as Nintendo and you could fit 2 CDs in the same space of 1 of those cartoonishly large N64 boxes.

Quite frankly we'd get shipments of FF7 or MetalGear Solid where the whole box was duplicates of 1 title.

Even the boxes that held Ocarina of time on release day had other random crap in it. If memory serves, it had restock Clayfighter 64 with it.

Where I was it just wasnt in demand.

Of course the flipside of that could be that I was just a terrible salesperson....
I mean I was but I can't imagine I hurt Nintendo that bad.

Great system, with many good quality games but it wasn't the hit the SNES was.

Great - we can have scalpers move in, buy all the stock, and try to sell for 3X the price. A year later, Nintendo might start making enough quantity to fill the demand.
I finally got an SNES over the summer (normal price) - it was going to be a Christmas present last year but no one had any for sale except scalpers. We'll see if Nintendo handles this better.
(Yes, I have a RasPi was emulators, but these are pretty cool.)

I have no love for these early 3d consoles. They have no CPU power, so you have big outside maps filled with absolutely nothing, or tiny indoor maps filled with boxy walls.

The game cube has twenty tmes the CPU power of the n64 (that's before you turn on TNL) and that (along with DVD) results in vastly more detailed worlds.

And since this was first generation, the n64 analog controllers were extremely uncomfortable.

Last edited:
I have no love for these early 3d consoles. They have no CPU power, so you have big outside maps filled with absolutely nothing, or tiny indoor maps filled with boxy walls.

Graphics aren't everything, just look at the success of Minecraft. I'll take a good game with simple graphics over a mediocre game that's stuck in the uncanny valley.

The game cube has twenty tmes the CPU power of the n64 (that's before you turn on TNL) and that (along with DVD) results in vastly more detailed worlds.

And since this was first generation, the n64 analog controllers were extremely uncomfortable.

Do not inject LOGIC and FACTS in my damn fun!

Graphics aren't everything, just look at the success of Minecraft. I'll take a good game with simple graphics over a mediocre game that's stuck in the uncanny valley.

I'm not complaining about graphics I'm complaining about lack of depth. The rpgs have very little interesting things to find on huge empty maps. See a tree in Zelda, it's very likely to be important, because drawing a tree was extremely expensive.

The multiplayer fps games are equally boring because the maps are small with the same textures on every boxy wall.

About the. Only game to look decent for that generation were racing games, and those have always been easy to render.

I'm not complaining about graphics I'm complaining about lack of depth. The rpgs have very little interesting things to find on huge empty maps.

Same thing. More trees and textures and stuff doesn't necessarily make a 'better' game. I still play through some really ancient PC RPGs like Pool of Radiance now and then. I played through TES Oblivion once.

In the case of the N64 it seems to me that a lot of the games have held up really well despite the graphics limitations of the time. Granted, I don't play JRPGs or console shooters.

Same thing. More trees and textures and stuff doesn't necessarily make a 'better' game.

It does when a major component of the game is hunting for spiders in the trees.

If they take the CPU power to draw it, there's a eighty percent chance there's something to knock out of it. As opposed to Zelda 3, where only about a quarter of trees had drops.

When you're almost guaranteed a prize, it becomes less of a mini game, and more of annoyance as you miss rolling into that tree for the thousandth time.

Last edited:
This would be awesome! The N64 had some of the best games I've ever played, and it's been years since I've held an N64 controller in my hands. This would go nicely with my SNES Classic Edition.

Their ability to carry a console through first party titles is rivaled by no one. Rare pretty much sealed the deal when they stepped in for Square at the time as Nintendo's big 3rd party gun.

Back