The next Sprint and my participation...

• Thread starter Deleted member 88227
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 88227

The next Sprint will be on the 5th of next month. I'll be somewhere out in the Atlantic ocean on a cruise ship and most likely will not have access to my boxen.

Any suggestions as to how we can make this work so my boxes can help the team? All my rigs will be running when I leave. So unless they crash we should be good to go on them.

don't know about you but i have teamviewer on all my rigs and i have it setup to run with windows and a set password. I set my bios to fault to run on power loss so unless i have a complete lockup where its stuck or the power goes completely down things keep moving along and if there is an issue with boinc i can sort it using the teamviewer app on my phone. my boinc is also auto run with windows start.

My issue is more along the lines of aborting/suspending current projects, attaching the Sprint project (most likely already attached anyway) and allowing new work and filling up the work que. Something I highly doubt I will be able to do while on a cruise ship. I do intend to have the Internet package when I get on the ship, but if it's anything like my cruise last year it sucks for most everything. Add in the fact that the only thing to do on these ships is drink and drinking + BOINCing isn't always a wise choice.

I need someone to be able to micromanage the rigs for the Sprint somehow.

actual bandwidth needs for teamviewer are roughly 1212 kB / 500 kB (down/up) I imagine your latency would be shit as i'm guessing its Sat internet. Can't help with the drinking part :D I imagine someone sober here would be happy to remotely connect to your rigs and get things moving along if you can't find someone local you trust to give a key to.

Skillz Do you have your rigs set up to be managed from a central point via BoincTasks?

actual bandwidth needs for teamviewer are roughly 1212 kB / 500 kB (down/up) I imagine your latency would be shit as i'm guessing its Sat internet. Can't help with the drinking part :D I imagine someone sober here would be happy to remotely connect to your rigs and get things moving along if you can't find someone local you trust to give a key to.

The biggest issue is the blocked protocols. They keep the Internet locked down really, really heavily. Due to their different "internet packages" which ranges from news only, banking only, social media only and addons type Internet packages you can buy. I wasn't able to remote into my rigs on my last cruise because it simply wouldn't work.

People I trust, yes. People that have a clue as to what they're doing on a computer, none. Haha.

Skillz Do you have your rigs set up to be managed from a central point via BoincTasks?

Yes I have a single computer (my main rig) that I control everything from using BoincTasks.

Skillz So i feel that this is not a difficult thing, to be honest.

I feel we could establish a rotation if necessary amongst willing / trusted hands to make this work.

Last edited:
I don't use TV, I just use Windows RDP. However, using that on the Windows boxes with GPUs will crash them and they'll require a restart for BOINC to find the GPUs again.

I'm also not comfortable giving someone access to my main rig, but I don't care about my HTPC as nothing is stored on it other than Plex and BOINC.

I could setup Teamviewer on it. Is it free? Then config all my rigs to be controlled from the HTPC and someone could swap to the Sprint project that way.

yes you can use it for free. once you set it up you can enable "unattended access" this is important in case it needs rebooted your password will stay the same.

They tend to monitor how many computers you are connecting to and warn you if they think you are using it for corporate business type stuff, but i have no issues running it to 3+ different computers on the free licence, likely because they are all on the same IP.

Getting teamviewer setup right now.

Then I will setup boinctasks on it and give it access to my other boxen.

I will also install Putty for just in case you need direct access to the Linux boxes (they act up the most) so some Linux experience will be helpful, but asking here should give you the answers you seek.

Any ports I need to forward on my router for this to work?

I didn't have to do anything like that but i guess it depends on your setup? its made to be simple so you can easy get a customer on it and fix their shit.

Okay BOINC tasks is setup and working on almost all the rigs. Just need to configure it for my main rig now.

Also need to install Putty and change the passwords on all my boxes to the same password so it's easier on everyone haha

This is a locked forum. Anyone with access here I trust. But, I did change the password I think. Feel free to try.

Skillz, you can also set BAM! settings to have your rigs check in every 2 hours. That way you could manage them from there to a small degree. Bunkering wouldn't work so well, but you could detatch from everything except the sprint project which would clear all of the work out. Just a thought if you ever need to do it.

Detaching also removes custom settings. I don't detach anymore. Lol

Well... you can also Suspend projects from within BAM! which would also suspend all of the work you have downloaded for those projects. Then just resume them after the challenge.

Who will be available or is willing to monitor and control my boxen while I am out of town?

I think if multiple people are looking after them it wouldn't be such a burden on any one individual who might not always have the time to check their boxen as well as mine.

Well I am about to go take a nap. We're leaving around 1am so in about 5 hours. I am going to just go ahead and post the login creds here on this forum. It's hidden and no one who has access here is untrustworthy anyway.

You guys just check on the system(s) to ensure they're still running and make sure they're on the right project for the Sprint.

If a power failure happens all systems should power back on when power is restored, load BOINC and continue on.

761 813 544
7bjb48

Someone do a test login tonight. I will check this thread just before I leave to make sure it's good to go.

Putty is also installed and all 4 Linux, 4P rigs are saved in the settings. Password txt file and commands are on the desktop. Open it and read it. Shouldn't have any issues though.

I connected via TV and opened up one of the PuTTY sessions w/o issue. Thought about making a silly MOTD on your boxes, but then decided to be nice and just left a Notepad message in Windows instead. ;)

I just seen it. Nice. Going to be leaving here soon. Can't fucking wait!

Enjoy your trip and don't worry. I'm sure your rigs are in capable hands ;)

Who is going to take care of Skillz rigs? I am sure i could figure it out but i don't have any experience with BOINC tasks

haha i re-read teh posts above and everyone involved just says they imagine that someone could do it :D I am going to have a peek at this boinc tasks thing and try to figure it out but if i get stuck i will be asking for advise. I would rather not break his shit

I don't even think he has the project added. I can see him on the team but project isn't showing up in his Boinc Tasks... how the heck can i add it without his login details...

Ahem, just use your VGTU login instead? Credits accumulated goes to you. Shhhh, don't tell him that...

Back