The next NCASE project: a Steam Machine-style case (indeterminate)

bDPJidrl.jpg

It took over a month of trial and error to figure out the best way to chamfer the top panel on my design. Now the prototype is finally done.

Jc1zMmol.jpg

2 prototypes in the mail, will see it next week :)

I'm 90% there for getting a new prototype.

One more issue I wanted to get opinion on. Full window or half window?

Dimensions: 72x270x336mm, 6.53L (72x280x336mm including protrusions, 6.77L)

GPU Support:
- Flex PSU + Short GPUs (175mm or less),
- HDPlex 300W AC-DC + Zotac 1080 / 1080 TI short cards ( 211mm)

This is not quite clear to me, is it half window, half metal with vent slots, or is it all window, with vent slots on one side. In other words, are the vent slots cut into metal or glass? I think either way would look good. This case has come a long way from that xbox clone look, I like how it looks now.

This is not quite clear to me, is it half window, half metal with vent slots, or is it all window, with vent slots on one side. In other words, are the vent slots cut into metal or glass? I think either way would look good. This case has come a long way from that xbox clone look, I like how it looks now.

Half window vs full window depends on the quality of the prototype. If the glass mix comes out nice, full window, if not, half using regular window/acrylic.

I know Flex PSU fan noise is a big concern for people.

So I have been actively working with G-Unique to launch this case with 400-600W passive (fan-less power supply) Flex PSU with cable management built in.

I like to get a 8700K + 1080 in there. Ideally 8700K + 1080TI depending on the temperature and noise.

Here are some highlight pics from G-Unique
1Tt0Gsom.jpg
7Ed3xoCm.jpg
hPyPUO6m.jpg

nP4DXytm.jpg
uFpMGuYm.jpg
2tyP0kRm.jpg

Here are the rest of pic from @G-Unique with the prototype.
https://imgur.com/a/74WKB

Last edited:
Going forward I would hope for at least a 500W psu. I'm thinking the 400w may limit future upgradability when it comes to the GPU side of things. Just a idle though on my part.

Going forward I would hope for at least a 500W psu. I'm thinking the 400w may limit future upgradability when it comes to the GPU side of things. Just a idle though on my part.

The PSU will perform differently depending on airflow and cooling by the enclosure.

Obvious more is better.

I play PUBG on 2500k + 1080GTX and have no problems with min framerates.

I know Flex PSU fan noise is a big concern for people.

So I have been actively working with G-Unique to launch this case with 400-600W passive (fan-less power supply) Flex PSU with cable management built in.

I like to get a 8700K + 1080 in there. Ideally 8700K + 1080TI depending on the temperature and noise.

Here are some highlight pics from G-Unique
1Tt0Gsom.jpg
7Ed3xoCm.jpg
hPyPUO6m.jpg

nP4DXytm.jpg
uFpMGuYm.jpg
2tyP0kRm.jpg

Here are the rest of pic from @G-Unique with the prototype.
https://imgur.com/a/74WKB

OK, rock throwing at the ready!

a) Beveled panels.... not for me. I'd have them strictly flat.

b) Is that a VESA mount on the back? Not a fan though I see the point.

----

Also, G-Unique... isn't that the guy behind the DC-DC exotic products?

OK, rock throwing at the ready!

a) Beveled panels.... not for me. I'd have them strictly flat.

b) Is that a VESA mount on the back? Not a fan though I see the point.

----

Also, G-Unique... isn't that the guy behind the DC-DC exotic products?

I was wondering when you are going to show up to the party.

a) we can offer a variety of panels, finishes and color on the same chassis, so it's not all doom and gloom.

b) the VESA is a personal requirement, if we it really bothers people, I suppose I can make the default outer panel blank, so it covers the VESA holes. For people that want the VESA, they would have to get a separate panel.

c) I met G-Unique in person, I like his PSUs, so we will prob work on more projects.

I was wondering when you are going to show up to the party.

a) we can offer a variety of panels, finishes and color on the same chassis, so it's not all doom and gloom.

b) the VESA is a personal requirement, if we it really bothers people, I suppose I can make the default outer panel blank, so it covers the VESA holes. For people that want the VESA, they would have to get a separate panel.

c) I met G-Unique in person, I like his PSUs, so we will prob work on more projects.

Oh panel options, yummy!

And G-Unique's products seem to add a lot of options for the SFF crowd.

PS: the VESA... it isn't that it bothers me, it is simply that those wholes make the design not as clean if you do not plan to mount it. Although... having the option to mount it I might even do it.

All said, looks like something I'd buy. Specially if you sell it with the psu as a bundle.

In case you guys wondering how the new case compares to the M1 and A4.

From left to right:
NCASE M1 chassis black
DAN A4 variant chassis black
NCASE LRPC concept silver
LUKOS (same as Alienware 17R4 laptop monitor), 17.3" TN 2560x2160@1440HZ 99% sRGB
LUKOS (same as Alienware 17R4 laptop monitor), 17.3" IPS, 4K (3840x2160@60HZ) 99% AdobeRGB monitor
WALLYE Tactik Duffle

Latest from G-Unique

water cooling...lol. sure why not
vwyYd2Om.png

Zotac GTX 1080 / 1080 TI
zHpz3Jam.png

Nvidia Titan
Cd0AjEmm.png

It's almost irresponsible to install such high-end components. That's not going to stop people though :cool:

Cool if it will and is good price I may by one to replace my HTPC case

I'm branching off this project with my design to work with G-UNIQ to get the cost down.

This is the design G-UNIQ and I are leaning towards.

Going forward, I will start a new thread to continue my version of the project.

PS: the VESA... it isn't that it bothers me, it is simply that those wholes make the design not as clean if you do not plan to mount it. Although... having the option to mount it I might even do it.

This version can hide or show the VESA mounts by changing the bottom panel ;)

Last edited:
I'm branching off this project with my design to work with G-UNIQ to get the cost down.

Going forward, I will start a new thread to continue my version of the project.

This version can hide or show the VESA mounts by changing the bottom panel ;)
Do you have link to the new thread please? I am very confused about these forums and only come here for NCASE threads.

Do you have link to the new thread please? I am very confused about these forums and only come here for NCASE threads.

I have a new idea to make the case even more interesting.

I will post a new link once I'm done with design revision and renderings to show this new feature.

I have a new idea to make the case even more interesting.

I will post a new link once I'm done with design revision and renderings to show this new feature.

I'm curious to know what this new feature you have in mind with the design revision.:cool:

This case is beautiful! Did it ever make it to production? I love the prototype concept with all the vertical lines!

I just got a new tempered glass manufacturer that can make thin TG, so it's finally coming together.

This new version will support GPU in two orientations:
1. GPU cooler on the same side of the CPU cooler via Flex Riser (window)
2. GPU cooler on the opposite side of the CPU cooler via PCB Riser (no need for window)

I have to have a conversation with NFC Systems about the design before we give it the green light ;)

qoERnrm.jpg

jQarm2H.jpg

No window version.
3XrxfyY.jpg

Attachments

• jQarm2H.jpg
    jQarm2H.jpg
    268.1 KB · Views: 169
  • qoERnrm.jpg
    qoERnrm.jpg
    280.2 KB · Views: 197
  • 3XrxfyY.jpg
    3XrxfyY.jpg
    279.2 KB · Views: 193
Last edited:
Case looks really good wahaha360. You talked about a possible passive Flex PSU in an earlier post, any word on that?

G-UNIQ has these passive/fanless Flex PSU sized HP internal PSU, so he will take care of the power + cable mgmt.

This case is very likely a case+psu bundle.

Until people jam an 8700k and a 1080ti in it, oc them and the poor thing shuts down from over heating...
I don't think passive in such a tight space is gonna work very well. It hasn't for others.

Reactions: DG25
like this
Until people jam an 8700k and a 1080ti in it, oc them and the poor thing shuts down from over heating...
I don't think passive in such a tight space is gonna work very well. It hasn't for others.

I’m not going to recommend more than 300W in the setup, so people doing things outside of the spec are effectively on their own.

I think G-UNIQ has a 7900X and 1080 or 1080TI in an earlier prototype. The dual HP passive power brick setup can deliver 500W with minimum airflow.

Obviously we will publish temperatures and send review samples before things before releasing the case to the public.

Back