The next NCASE project: a Steam Machine-style case (indeterminate)

I very much prefer the old symmetrical stand.
I'm reconsidering the angled stand. It was a late addition that originated in an earlier version, and I think it worked better there than it does in the current design. I think I may go with a leveled version of the angled stand instead.

I'm also thinking about dropping the front logo altogether, and maybe the front audio ports. I'm kind of partial to the original's simpler two USB layout. A more minimalist front and a level stand gives it a monolithic impression, which I think works better with the overall design.

I'm reconsidering the angled stand. It was a late addition that originated in an earlier version, and I think it worked better there than it does in the current design. I think I may go with a leveled version of the angled stand instead.

I'm also thinking about dropping the front logo altogether, and maybe the front audio ports. I'm kind of partial to the original's simpler two USB layout. A more minimalist front and a level stand gives it a monolithic impression, which I think works better with the overall design.

IMO, the logo is a must. I doubt anybody can argue that the NCASE logo featured on the M1 is ugly, or too big, or takes away any attention from the case. IMO, it doesn't, its just a simple signature in order to know who made the product.

So, I think the case will lose something if you don't put your logo on them. Not because the logo makes the product... but because an unsigned product looks "fishy" to me.

Regarding the audio ports, on the other hand, I am completely partial: off with them!

IMO, the logo is a must. I doubt anybody can argue that the NCASE logo featured on the M1 is ugly, or too big, or takes away any attention from the case. IMO, it doesn't, its just a simple signature in order to know who made the product.

So, I think the case will lose something if you don't put your logo on them. Not because the logo makes the product... but because an unsigned product looks "fishy" to me.
I can appreciate that, and I agree in general. The problem is that it's too far from the edge, which doesn't look right. If I put it closer to the edge, it won't line up with the power button/front ports. And they're already as close to the edge as they can physically be. There is a model ID plate on the back of the case, just like the M1, so it's not completely unidentified. I'll give it some more thought, I suppose. See if I can come up with something that works. Edit: if I drop the front audio and go with the original USB port orientation, I can line up the logo with the top of the ports, which IMO looks better.

Last edited:
How about placing the logo on the side panels, in the bottom corners closer to the front of the case? Or at the top corners in the front, like Lian Li does (I think)

How about placing the logo on the side panels, in the bottom corners closer to the front of the case? Or at the top corners in the front, like Lian Li does (I think)
Well, remember that the case is designed to be oriented both vertically and horizontally. So the logo is in the top right corner on front when it's horizontal. That's also why a logo wouldn't work well on the side.

I'll let these two images do the talkin':

tumblr_m7998nwn2u1qhg13lo1_500.gif

tl8c5Xe.gif

(round dot of ferrous material to stick it to)

Personally, I don't need the front audio ports, I've never used them. However, I believe I recall a few users being vocal about their removal in the past.

As for the logo, it's up to you. A nice looking logo wouldn't hurt the overall appearance, though.

Personally, I don't need the front audio ports, I've never used them. However, I believe I recall a few users being vocal about their removal in the past.

As for the logo, it's up to you. A nice looking logo wouldn't hurt the overall appearance, though.
I think it's quite likely at this point that I'll be returning to something closer to the original concept design, appearance-wise. Both in terms of the front panel and the stand. The revised dimensions will remain, however.

I'd opt for removing logo or making it a sticker since it might not look okay for people using the stand. It was a thing mentioned in Node 202 reviews.

I'd opt for removing logo or making it a sticker since it might not look okay for people using the stand. It was a thing mentioned in Node 202 reviews.
The difference with the Node 202 is the logo is 1) centered, and 2) big. It would look bad on the S1 too if were done in the same style. But placed on the right edge as it currently is I think it works well enough.

Sorry if I missed this, but a quick search of the thread didn't yield an answer to my question.

Has the maximum GPU length for this case been determined yet?

I would personally not like a logo, but I would REALLY appreciate if the logo was supplied as a sticky badge as EVGA does with their GPUs and Mainboards. That way the user decides.

The clean, uninterrupted front is just too damn nice to mess up with a mandatory logo.

Another suggestion would be a square indent with ferrous material (still indented) so you could place a magnetic badge in one of four orientations.

Has the maximum GPU length for this case been determined yet?
It will be at least 305mm.

I would personally not like a logo, but I would REALLY appreciate if the logo was supplied as a sticky badge as EVGA does with their GPUs and Mainboards. That way the user decides.

The clean, uninterrupted front is just too damn nice to mess up with a mandatory logo.
This was brought up back during development of the M1, as well. IMO stickers or sticky badges look cheap, and aren't something we'll be doing. It's quite likely the front logo will be silkscreened this time around however, so it shouldn't be impossible to remove.

Another suggestion would be a square indent with ferrous material (still indented) so you could place a magnetic badge in one of four orientations.
That would have the problem of not looking right in one or more orientations, though. Also you'd have that indent there if you chose not to have the badge.

Last edited:
No way should you drop the logo.

This is your brand we're talking about here. Not placing some kind of signage on it (especially on the front) is pure lunacy.

You're running a business here, not a garage shop of 1-off items for fun.

Haven't been here in a while but i caught up.
1. Voted S1,made the most sense.
2. I like the Audio ports. Keep them around please
3. How about putting the logo in the top left corner? Just a suggestion

Haven't been here in a while but i caught up.
2. I like the Audio ports. Keep them around please
Honestly, you're better off with a USB audio interface. Half the time the motherboard doesn't amp the mic input, making it next to worthless.

3. How about putting the logo in the top left corner? Just a suggestion
Top left in the vertical orientation? Keep in mind the case needs to work in both vertical and horizontal orientations, and IMO the logo would look much worse in that corner in the horizontal orientation.

Is there somewhere at the rear at least where you could put the logo? Sort of like on the M1, but that model has a version and serial number plate. You should definitely have the logo somewhere.

Is there somewhere at the rear at least where you could put the logo? Sort of like on the M1, but that model has a version and serial number plate. You should definitely have the logo somewhere.
Yeah, there's a model ID plate on the back, just like the M1.

I meant top left horizontally, above the power button
Sometimes you just want to put on headphones and game. If the headphones are wired,front ports are convenient.

It made my day when I came back to this thread only to find that work has resumed to make this case a reality. Just like I bought the M1, I'll absolutely be buying this beauty.

Necere, any ETA from Lian Li on when they'll be shipping you the prototype for fit/thermal testing?

What if I told you I already have it? ;) Thermal tests are probably still a little ways off, though.

And what if I told you I have an e-mail from Silverstone confirming they are not working on or producing an FTZ02?

Looks like this LRPC will be the only aluminium

And what if I told you I have an e-mail from Silverstone confirming they are not working on or producing an FTZ02?
Interesting. Maybe the sales projections can't justify developing an aluminum version.

Less "asking if you told something", more "showing prototype pics".
I know. My lighting indoors is bad though, and it's been raining and/or overcast outside lately. I'm also looking into acquiring some lighting equipment for a proper mini-studio setup.

Interesting. Maybe the sales projections can't justify developing an aluminum version.

I know. My lighting indoors is bad though, and it's been raining and/or overcast outside lately. I'm also looking into acquiring some lighting equipment for a proper mini-studio setup.

Sales projections? I bet any 5 year old could do better sales projections than many case companies out there, simply looking at the trash they produce, and the little effort they put into things.

They simply don't give a shit.

---

And please... pictuuuuurreeeess!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Don't tease us this bad! :(

Sales projections? I bet any 5 year old could do better sales projections than many case companies out there, simply looking at the trash they produce, and the little effort they put into things.

They simply don't give a shit.

---

And please... pictuuuuurreeeess!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Don't tease us this bad! :(

Nah. I think they know what they're doing.
But... I bet the projected sales required for Silverstone to give a project the green light is WAY more than the M1 or this case will ever sell (at least with the current Ncase organization/production/logistics setup). So this case may make all kinds of sense putting into production even though an FTZ02 does not.

Just thought I'd quote the response from Silverstone to my e-mail. Looking forward to this case especially considering your product would be unique as aluminium.

Dear #####

Many thanks for your Request

Yet for the moment there is no plan to release the FTZ02 and this chassis is not in the development process.

We also do not have any information on it being planned for the near future.

Best Regards

Carsten Buss

It's moments like these where I'm glad I'm subscribed to the thread and get an email whenever someone posts. The pictures look great! It's nice to get a better look at it. Are those magnetic dust filters over the motherboard and GPU areas?

I can't wait to get some thermal testing results from this thing!

Yes they are. Same type of filter as on the M1 V4 fan bracket.
I'm looking at the photos and can't figure out precisely which part of the chassis is steel. Are those long narrow strips going from front to back (but not all the way) that the filter sheets are attached onto made of steel and just screwed to the aluminum chassis?

Also, why is the ID plate for vertical orientation while the front logo for horizontal, isn't that a bit awkward?

May I ask one more question, what is the added cost of including the stand for vertical placement? Is it cheaper or more expensive than the set of four feet for the horizontal placement?

I'm looking at the photos and can't figure out precisely which part of the chassis is steel. Are those long narrow strips going from front to back (but not all the way) that the filter sheets are attached onto made of steel and just screwed to the aluminum chassis?
You have it exactly correct.

Also, why is the ID plate for vertical orientation while the front logo for horizontal, isn't that a bit awkward?
The ID plate is fastened with a single stud+screw from the backside, which allows it to be rotated to either orientation. The power button on the front panel can also be rotated.

May I ask one more question, what is the added cost of including the stand for vertical placement? Is it cheaper or more expensive than the set of four feet for the horizontal placement?
The feet are definitely cheaper, as this stand is the thicker 4mm version with machined supports. I think what we'll likely do is include the four feet for horizontal placement by default, and offer the stand separately and/or as another SKU.

Back