The next NCASE project: a Steam Machine-style case (indeterminate)

Suggestion.
Rotate the GFX Card so MB and Card face the same way, that way you can have a clear side panel for people into that. :)

Also wish such a design was more common without making the case larger. But as Silverstone hasn't managed it then I'm not excepting a smaller company/individual to lead the way.

Lian Li's O-series cases are laid out that way, though they are much larger than the LRPC. Aside from wanting a window, there is no reason to do it, and plenty of reasons not to. For example, if we just flip the GPU, there's a couple of things that become apparent:

JjS0ib2.png

Right away we can see the PCIe slot will potentially be blocked by the GPU, and we'll need a much longer shielded flexible riser (which adds cost and potentially affects performance/reliability). We can move it up vertically or over horizontally to give the connector some room, but there's another problem:

8j51JCr.png

Having the GPU exhaust directly into the CPU area is the last thing you want if your goals include the words "cool" and "quiet." The current unflipped layout makes a lot more sense for both the riser connection and airflow:

DQDuFHX.png

Now, it's true that open-cooler GPUs exhaust from both sides, but the way video cards are designed (and the offset of the rear bracket in particular) means if you want to isolate the GPU like I've done with the LRPC, there's actually some room for air to flow:

x096n7Yh.png

Some GPUs are also designed for this side to be the primary or secondary (in blower cards) exhaust, so blocking it off is a poor idea.

Aside from those problems, there's the issue of how would the GPU, CPU, and PSU get air with a window? Do we punch the window full of holes? Dust filters are obviously out, as well.

So it would be bigger, perform worse, and accumulate dust. Ultimately, flipping the GPU just to add a window involves too many sacrifices, and makes little sense for the design goals of the LRPC.

There's also another thing to note with all inlets on same side - there's so much holes on the side that the hole panel looses it's stiffness.

@lypse/tinkerer
You might wanna check out esplin's inverse to see how his case project is looking - he's doing exactly that but his case is huge due to PSU facing back of the case aswell as other components

There's also another thing to note with all inlets on same side - there's so much holes on the side that the hole panel looses it's stiffness.
Right - I didn't mention that because presumably we were talking about a windowed side panel rather than solid. But for a solid sheet metal side panel, punching it full of holes would exacerbate potential rigidity and warping issues.

Thanks for the pictures Necere.

One work-around I thought of at the time (without considering practicality) was having the graphic card output connections facing the front of case, and using an extension similar to the principle of PSU extension used in M1. But still stuck with PCI riser issue you mentioned.

You're doing better than me, I'm trying to shave off space a mm at a time to fight size creep :p

I know, right? Just add a few mm here for clearance and here for tolerance and suddenly you're a liter larger.
And in the end, nobody notices if you don't tell them :D

A new high performance SFX/SFX-L should be revealed at Computex 2015, so we will wait and see before getting a prototype :)

A new high performance SFX/SFX-L should be revealed at Computex 2015, so we will wait and see before getting a prototype :)

Hopefully from a new OEM, that takes on all the issues with the current SFX PSU's.

Computex seems to be 2nd June so just one more week.

I really like my G20, despite the size they did an excellent job with directing heat out. I just wish I didn't get this PNY 970 card.

I'm guessing we'll suddenly see Necere or W360 do a post in this topic like "it's available for pre-order on the website." while they are hard at work behing the scenes making this little gem a reality. Or so I hope.

I thought we were getting the prototype made this week, until Necere changed the internal design...lol

It's not back to the drawing board, but we have to refine some things.

Last edited:
Indeed, curious ! Did this happen before or after the Radeon Fury's reveal ? :D

Indeed, curious ! Did this happen before or after the Radeon Fury's reveal ? :D
Nah, nothing to do with that. It was just some reworking of the drive mounting and a few other small details.

The Fury X isn't going to happen in this case, or any case of this size/form factor. Even if I could redesign the internals to allow for a 120mm fan mount without moving the front I/O to some place really awkward, the radiator is 65mm thick w/fan, which when taking into account the tubing just won't fit in a slim case like this.

Well, I wouldn't say that the Fury X blows. It's a good card, just didn't live up to the hype.

The hype was indeed overselling it. But it's still a nicely balanced card, much more than the 290X at launch with the crappy reference cooler. But where watercooling used to mean modding a reference card, this is a reference card. So that's why I "asked". But the Fury non-X will probably fit in this case though.

Lian Li or someone new?
LL. The LRPC was designed with their manufacturing capabilities, tooling, and standard parts in mind, and we don't have another option at this point. Going with a non-case manufacturer means lining up suppliers for all the small case-specific parts (USB/audio/power cables, fasteners, rubber grommets etc.), which is a huge undertaking.

I just read about the Fractal Design Node 202. Looks very similar (of course), but its appearance is not nearly as clean to me.

If this is coming back, may I inquire if you have an estimate when this would go into production, assuming all goes well? Like, if you're taking care of the prototype right now, when we would expect a finalized/polished version available on kickstarter or the Ncase site?

Thanks!

If this is coming back, may I inquire if you have an estimate when this would go into production, assuming all goes well? Like, if you're taking care of the prototype right now, when we would expect a finalized/polished version available on kickstarter or the Ncase site?

Thanks!
We can't give an ETA at this point. I would not expect it before 2016, however.

I just read about the Fractal Design Node 202. Looks very similar (of course), but its appearance is not nearly as clean to me.

That's the sort of case I was hoping for from the NCASE "Steam Machine" style case. Like you I much prefer the cleaner lines that NCASE was proposing, but at the same time I really like the dimensions and lack of optical drive in the Fractal Design.

I'll hold out until later this year but I'm really hoping this gets off the ground again.

Have you solved the problem with heating up ssd's by the back of VGA? If yes then can I assume the internal design did change a bit from what's on page 6? It wasn't hard considering your case is 80mm wide so you can place those drives anywhere you want.

And boy, does it look exactly like I want it :D
Well we were planning to anodize it, but if you really want it like this... ;)

Have you solved the problem with heating up ssd's by the back of VGA? If yes then can I assume the internal design did change a bit from what's on page 6? It wasn't hard considering your case is 80mm wide so you can place those drives anywhere you want.
There's an aluminum partition and multiple air gaps between the GPU and the drives, so I don't think heat will be an issue for them. It goes GPU -> 5mm air gap -> 1.5mm aluminum partition -> 6mm air gap -> drive bracket, with another ~1.5mm air gap provided by the rubber mounting grommets.

Some notes on the latest revision and prototype:

• The height has been increased to 348mm, which allows for GPUs up to 6" tall.
  • Width has been increased to 84mm, which was needed for the motherboard standoffs and magnetic filter support, while retaining 60mm CPU cooler support.
  • The drive configuration has been changed to 3x 2.5" dedicated mounts, plus a removable 3.5" drive bracket that mounts in the forward section of the GPU compartment and can only be used with short GPUs (<185mm).
  • We may end up with a somewhat different stand design from the one in the pics, since it uses thick aluminum which must be machined, making it a fairly expensive part.
  • Front I/O now includes headphone and mic jacks.

A few more pics of the prototype:

b3h5SCm.jpg

dvzrE7A.jpg

f850XC4.jpg

55bxasU.jpg

ekwcOSv.jpg

Back