The Next Most Powerful Supercomputer in the U.S. Is Almost Complete

DooKey

[H]F Junkie
Summit the next most powerful computer in the U.S. is getting ready to solve some of science's biggest questions. It's going to tackle testing and developing stronger, lighter manufacturing materials; the use of sounds waves to model the inside of the Earth; and other astrophysics projects. It's going to do all of this utilizing Nvidia GPU-accelerated computing.

Supercomputers have been around for some time now. The high-performance computing these devices are capable of make them ideal for running larger and more complex computational problems, such as those that deal with questions of science. For Oak Ridge Leadership Computing Facility project director Buddy Bland, these type of big problems would make a good test for Summit's capabilities.

At what place on the Top500 will this be?

EDIT: I guess it will be #1 for a time based on the expected performance of 200 petaflops.

Don't they effectively have these running full tilt all the time? Like, researchers queue up their data to be crunched months in advance and you wait your turn, with the machine churning through task after task after task 24/7?

If so, I've got to wonder what kind of rates they charge for this. Just enough to cover the electricity? Enough to run the whole building? Enough to expect a full ROI after 10 years?

Anyone have experience dealing with Super Computers like this?

At what place on the Top500 will this be?

EDIT: I guess it will be #1 for a time based on the expected performance of 200 petaflops.

As of now... #2
I was supposed to spend two weeks there in December helping to finish it, but those temporary positions were filled with folks who are a bit closer than me. Darn.

So...does it mine crypto?

I've always wanted to see something like this (or other huge mining operation) work for an hour. Just toss my wallet address in there and see the spike. An hour is all I ask, NSA. Just one hour.

Back