The Next Generation.

LeviathanZERO

Supreme [H]ardness
$500 PS3 (with games)
$500 Xbox 360 (with games)

$?? Revolution

Nintendo will win the next gen if they release with the PS3.
Next year, Noone is running to buy a PS3 at that price. People who want new PC's, but cant afford one might buy it.
Xbox 360 sales will be slow at first, for same reason

EVERYONE will buy the Revolution.

Can you imagine a game like Ace Combat....
The joystick controls the plane, and you can AIM your weapons. How sick would that be.
All FPS, RTS, Sports, Racing, whatever... You can make anything you want on this thing. This is the most creative machine for a developer.

Lots of new games. = Big system launch. = Hottest selling next-gen system.

Nintendo finally gave us the answer to the overall picture of the next gen. And oddly enough, brand loyalty doesn't matter this round. No company will 'die' next round, the market now really does have space for 3 consoles.

I just got a new pc so i am not so thrilled about getting another console. With that being said though the revolution does seem to be the most interesting one of the 3 systems coming out. Its going to be interesting to see what happens to nintendo this round.

Just watch how many developers sign on for this thing. Its going to rock the world.
Theres going to be so many games. EVERYTHING just became original again.

You could even do Grand Theft Auto. OMG. dude, just try and imagine any game from this gen on this thing.

The only thing wrong with GTA is the fighting/weapons system. This thing fixes THAT.
GTA, and you actually AIM at your targets?! They should add a laser sight that follows your revolution controller on the screen, that would be sick.

I wonder if Rockstar is stupid enough to NOT make GTA on the rev. but seriously....

think of any game, think of the controls, now think of the controls on the revolution. EVERY game known to man will be on this thing. You want this. EVERYBODY wants this.

The last console I was excited about was the PS2. I've owned a PS2 which I gave to my brother and I had an Xbox for 2 weeks. This "next" generation has failed to spark any interest at all. This may change once the consoles are actually released but as of now, I'll just stick with my Shuttle. I guess I'm a PC gamer at heart.

And I will never buy a Nintendo Revolution.

You prolly wont buy a PS3 or 360 either. unless you are willing to spend $500 on either. Everyone else will wait for a price drop.

What you dont understand is, this is the first time devolopers are seeing the system. Once they figure out what they can do, Soooo many games will be made for this. The launch will sell this system.

but yeah, you prolly wont get the other ones either.

I don't know where you are getting your info?
Nintendo is ranked in 3rd.
SONY
MICROSOFT
NINTENDO
A new system isn't going to change this at all.
The revolution will become the new DREAMCAST.

LeviathanZERO said:
What you dont understand is, this is the first time devolopers are seeing the system. Once they figure out what they can do, Soooo many games will be made for this. The launch will sell this system.

I rememeber hearing this hype for the DS as well. The vast majority of DS games turn out to be garbage and developers rarely make use of the stand-out features that the system was designed around.

I will buy a Rev. and nothing else. I have my computer for the graphics and the Revolution I can play with my friends and wife when it comes out.

Well I don't know where Leviathan gets the authority to say what everyone wants, but whatever. I'm sure when people first bought the PS2 and XBOX they spent $500 and beyond anyways, so don't act like this is some huge ordeal.

Majin said:
SONY
MICROSOFT
NINTENDO
I do kinda agree with this, BUT, i think that is the rankings in whitch they will be put in in terms of GRAPHICS and PHISICS. Just MY oppinion :p

Majin said:
SONY
MICROSOFT
NINTENDO
Ranked in 3rd in market share only. Its ranked 1st in porfits.

For graphics I think both PS3 and X360 will be rather equal. And for rev, theres nothing to say since no specs have been released.

I wish you could hear me laughing right now. :)

For one thing you can get a Core X360 for $299. Secondly the Gamecube was cheaper than the other two last generation and they ended up.......in third place by a healthy margin. Unless they cost $1000 price isn't going to deter very many people who are loyal to Xbox or the PS brand.

To refute some of your non-sense I will start by saying the 360 has already "sold-out" all its available pre-orders at most major retailers. So I guess your theory of starting slow is already dead. Same will happen for PS3.

How can you even say the Revolution is the answer? If anything previous track record alone says the opposite. Brand loyalty is huge and don't think the next GTA, MGS, Halo, GT, etc. don't and won't carry system sales.

Making facts based on nothing valid makes you look foolish. I for one am buying a PS3 & X360 at launch and more than likely pass on the Revo. So I guess your "everyone" theory is already shot down.

nintendo lacks the 3rd party games that truly turn me on to the system, ofcourse they have a few goodies. but thats just it, only a few. xbox360 and ps3 have many.

they also lack in a few other areas.

im getting a ps3 for sure next year.

XBOX never sparked my interest. Playstation is the system that I always liked. I am for sure getting a PS3 when it comes out. Playstation always had RPG's that were orginal and fun. Revolution does seem like its going to be sweet, but I know my brother will be getting it. So the only next gen I wont have is a 360.

Nintendo is going for the $200 price point.
Secondly, the DS is kicking PSP ass, both in sales, and the quality of the games.

Second, marketshare doesn't mean as much when you're consistently turning out profits. Even at $60 bucks, Nintendo still makes money on the Gamecube. XBoxes being sold are STILL losing profit. MS doesn't care, it's not going anywhere. But neither is Nintendo. They have billions in the bank, and they're not losing it.

Lastly... who in their right mind would buy the $299 X-Box? You'll be spending $150 on accessories for it anyway. I know that if I get the 360 (and I might), I'll get the $400 model.
But instead of buying it at launch, I'll wait till late 2006 when MS will be forced to drop their price to compete with Nintendo's. And the PS3? No way, not at the price they want to sell it for. Brand loyalty or not, at the minimum $500US pricepoint, who in their right mind would spend that much on a game console? I'd certainly wait till 2007 before I even look at it.

The one thing that I have to remind some of you, is that the MS and Sony systems are providing you, in effect, with PS2 1.5, and XBox 1.5. It's the same shit with better graphics, and in HD, with wireless controllers and TiVO functions yadda yadda. Is that worth $500? Dunno about you, but I'm excited to try something new for a change.

Nintendo is, and will always be, aweseome.

Modern gaming wouldn't even exist if it wasn't for Nintendo

I know I will be pre-ordering a revolution (a black one, so it matches my gamecube)

Gob, you forgetting that the Rev is fully backwards compatible? This includes the Gamecube. Heh... I'm going to move my gamecube to my room, and leave the Rev in the entertainment centre. I wonder what I'll do with my 2 PS2s with broken lasers... I should learn how to replace them, in preparation for the PS3.

steviep said:
Gob, you forgetting that the Rev is fully backwards compatible? This includes the Gamecube. Heh... I'm going to move my gamecube to my room, and leave the Rev in the entertainment centre. I wonder what I'll do with my 2 PS2s with broken lasers... I should learn how to replace them, in preparation for the PS3.

Is the PS3 backwards compatible?

Also, will they have a non-silver (i.e black) version of the PS3? I know I'll just put a block faceplate on an X360, but I like my media center place to all match

PS3, i believe, is backwards compatible. I'm not too sure, I became disinterested in the system after hearing of the ballpark price point. Black version of the PS3? Again, others should comment. As far as I know, they'll release only one.

3rd party support had more to do with the NES/Famicom 8-bit success than Nintendo did. Sega had almost zero 3rd party support with the SMS. If the shoe was on the other foot people would be saying the same thing about Sega most likely. Don't forget Sega was pumping out good quality titles as well.

If you notice Nintendo's success or failures over the years are almost directly linked to the 3rd party strength. As 3rd parties went so did their console dominance. Now suddenly you expect 3rd parties to clamor to the Revo? As far as the DS is concerned PSP has beaten in sales across the world quite a few times and wih Madden and GTA coming out soon there is going to be a sizeable gain for Sony. For example the PSP that was just released in Europe set alot of new handheld sales records shattering quite a few held by the DS and Gameboy.

I don't quite understand why people are so dillusional and give Nintendo way more credit than they deserve.Sure they are great company and make great 1st party software but please step back into reality for a bit. Stop making ludicrous claims and giving them credit for things they didn't even innovate.

What didn't they innovate?

Rumble? N64 and the rumblepack

joystick on the controller? N64

Gaming would be extremely different, and probably wouldn't have tooken off as much as it did, if it wasn't for nintendo.

Also, a good deal (including EA and UBISoft) of 3rd party devs have already said they like the revolution.

Face it, Nintendo revolutionized WAY more then Sony or MS

I think Sony is using reverse-psychology when it comes to what they have said and what will actually come to fruition when their console price is truly released.

They're saying it is going to be expensive. Microsoft has announced that their highest option will be the $400 model. This means that people are thinking $500+ for the PS3.

Sony will let people hold this mindset because it will make something like $400 seem like a bargain to consumers. Once they announce the real price, it will go against the industry mindset (But in a way that is favorable for Sony).

It's Business 101. When you go to sell a car, you don't put it up for sale at the price you expect to get. You put it a little higher and let the buyer think they're bargaining you down, when in reality they're simply approaching the price that you wanted them to pay in the first place. You get what you want and they think they've accomplished something.

The only thing better than ripping people off is ripping them off and having them think they're getting a bargain (Which will mean return business).

Sony is arrogant, but their marketing department is top-notch. They're always thinking two steps ahead, and I doubt the "It'll be expensive" comment was spontaneous.

Gob said:
Also, a good deal (including EA and UBISoft) of 3rd party devs have already said they like the revolution.

They've said that about every system since the Dreamcast. They said it about the Gamecube and we saw how much third-party that got.

Microsoft has made just as many, if not more, innovations in the past five years than Nintendo has. Most people just don't recognize them because they've become a standard since 2001.

Majin said:
SONY
MICROSOFT
NINTENDO

3rd in what? Sales? Highest pricing? Lowest profit making? Your list of favorites?

Priced far less that 500 dollars (something I am going to assume because Nintendo stated at E3 that they wanted it to be cheap), I have a feeling that many people will be buying it - frankly Revolution does not seem to be Nintendo's downfall.

http://www.dsrevolution.com/article.php?articleid=644
Those are the most current hardware sales numbers that I could find in 2 minutes, from Japan.

The ONLY thing MS has brought to the console market is X-Box Live, and bless their marketing department for that one. Who knew that the minority who played MMORPGs and actually paid monthly for games could actually be lured to pay monthly for a console as well? I mean... that's fantastic. Buy a game, then pay every month for it. Geniuses. They are also bringing more innovations to the next generation of XBox Live, such as "purchase extra levels" and "buy better characters" and other more ambiguous things that deter gameplay. I, on the other hand, will look forward to playing Revolution games online for free. They will make their money selling old Nintendo games for a couple bucks - that alone will run their service.

And how could I forget, MS also brought hard drives from PC to... PC(Xbox). Good for them. Wait, what about the X360 core package?

Third parties go where lots of systems are sold. If lots of Revolutions are sold, based on its price point and its new control scheme, third parties will see the money and flock. Why do you think that the PS2, which is the worst to program for, has so much support? That's what's happening for DS, which currently has more teams (including Microsoft's Rare?!!!) working to make games. Good for Nintendo for pushing creativity.

steviep said:
http://www.dsrevolution.com/article.php?articleid=644
Those are the most current hardware sales numbers that I could find in 2 minutes, from Japan.

The ONLY thing MS has brought to the console market is X-Box Live, and bless their marketing department for that one. Who knew that the minority who played MMORPGs and actually paid monthly for games could actually be lured to pay monthly for a console as well? I mean... that's fantastic. Buy a game, then pay every month for it. Geniuses. They are also bringing more innovations to the next generation of XBox Live, such as "purchase extra levels" and "buy better characters" and other more ambiguous things that deter gameplay. I, on the other hand, will look forward to playing Revolution games online for free. They will make their money selling old Nintendo games for a couple bucks - that alone will run their service.

And how could I forget, MS also brought hard drives from PC to... PC(Xbox). Good for them. Wait, what about the X360 core package?

I'm sorry is that Xbox in 7th place? That easily throws down the "N1n73nd0 is behind Eks-Bohx everywhere BITCHES!!!!!!!!1111oneoneone" argument

I'll give it about two weeks before people stop caring about Nintendo, PS3 and XBox360 and go back to normal.

In Japan, yes. Only 10000 XBoxes have been sold this year in Japan, because the system is very unpopular there. FPSes mean nothing. Halo means shit - the Japanese know a quality game when they see one, and Halo wasn't it.

I also found more data on last week's sales - albeit with no numbers, just percentages. Check out the DS' market share in Japan last week.

http://www.m-create.com/eng/e_ranking.html

Find an up-to-date worldwide sales chart and you'll see things differently.

We all know that the Japanese are close-minded and nationalistic when it comes to foreign businesses trying to carve a corner out in their domestic market. I cant't think of a single American product that has seen extreme success over there.

By the way, chill with the flame-bait. Halo and the quality therein have no place in this argument. If you want to go by sales alone, Metroid Prime didn't do well there either. That doesn't mean it wasn't a good game.

DarkSeraphim said:
We all know that the Japanese are close-minded and nationalistic when it comes to foreign businesses trying to carve a corner out in their domestic market. I cant't think of a single American product that has seen extreme success over there.

America has given Japanese cigarettes and tobacco for their own cigarettes. They seem to enjoy our pr0n also. Not to mention the have a HUGE import of crops/food products...which come from all over the world. They used to love our steel too.....

all you naysayers are not thinking.
BECAUSE of the controller, 3rd party support is not an issue anymore.
Of course noone is signed up yet, they just showed the thing for the first time YESTERDAY. EVERY DEVELOPER at the show was impressed. Not only will they all want to make games on this thing, this also buys Nintendo some time, they dont exactly need to release with or before the PS3.
just wait.

the sad thing though, i think Nintendo just killed the 360 in Japan. If the 360 launch is weak the PS3 will crush it. Revolution is no longer a console, its its own thing, and its going to sell way more than either of the other 2.

I predict a HUGE launch (if they do this right, the potential is sky high now.) I'm talking more games than the 360 launch. 3rd parties will be the meat of those.

A big launch with at least one game for every tastes? This thing is FLYING off the shelves.

steviep said:
In Japan, yes. Only 10000 XBoxes have been sold this year in Japan, because the system is very unpopular there. FPSes mean nothing. Halo means shit - the Japanese know a quality game when they see one, and Halo wasn't it.

I also found more data on last week's sales - albeit with no numbers, just percentages. Check out the DS' market share in Japan last week.

http://www.m-create.com/eng/e_ranking.html
Did you read the top selling games?

"Fighting For ONE PIECE"
"DS Training For Adults: Work Your Brain"
"Gentle Brain Exercises"

Daaaamn those japanese sure know quality games when they see them! err.. maybe they know retarded simulations and crack-induced games when they see them.

Leviathan, I think you're a bit TOO optimistic. Unlike with their handlelds, Nintendo faces an uphill battle. That includes getting stupid corporate third parties to stop being so lazy with development. That said, I think most developers were very excited. For your info, Squaresoft, EA, Ubi, THQ and others were shown months ago, under NDA, what the Revolution and its control scheme was about.

That said, your optimism isn't completely unjustified. As Nintendo themselves have said, they're not looking at the PS3 and X360 as competition anymore, because they are the "old" and this is the "new". If Nintendo comes out with a good launch, it WILL be huge. If they don't, they're going to face yet another uphill battle.

As for the Japanese - don't insult them. They do know quality, and had it not been for them, you wouldn't be playing most of the good games that have been made for consoles. Nintendo throws out the 2 versions of "brain games" and people eat them up. The adult one is selling more than the kid one. They give them software that's NOT the same ol shoot this, kill that, and people eat it up. What does this tell you? Look how well Nintendogs did. Hell, look at how well it's doing stateside. Clearly people who are crack-starved are not the only ones purchasing these games that are so different from everything else. And that's exactly what someone like me wants. Something that's not the same shit over and over. I'm tired of playing FPS clone # 153253332335555, or Madden 8003.

I plan on getting both a Revo and a PS3, I don't really see anything interesting from the 360 unless they come out with some really great games (and I'm not talking about the sports and FPS genres, I do without Halo :rolleyes: ).

steviep said:
In Japan, yes. Only 10000 XBoxes have been sold this year in Japan, because the system is very unpopular there.
Since launch it's been only 500,000 Xboxes and it doesn't look like the 360 is going to help much.
Microsoft Chief Xbox Officer Robbie Bach delivered the conference's first keynote address on Friday morning, outlining the company's plans for the Xbox 360 in Japan. Bach noted that the original Xbox console did poorly in Japan -- only selling around 500,000 units over four years -- but that Microsoft was working to give the new console a more Japan-friendly image.

But even with a sleeker form factor and a wider game lineup, the company's success in one of the world's most finicky consumer markets is far from assured. Bach's decision to showcase the Epic Megagames title Gears of War was seen by many attendees as ill-fitting -- although the hyper-realistic first-person shooter has garnered praise from American critics, FPS games are by far one of the least popular game genres in Japan.

Personally I like RPGs and games like the Silent Hill and Fatal Frame series so I haven't bothered with the Xbox whos "claim to fame" seems to be mostly Halo.

LeviathanZERO said:
all you naysayers are not thinking.
BECAUSE of the controller, 3rd party support is not an issue anymore.
Of course noone is signed up yet, they just showed the thing for the first time YESTERDAY. EVERY DEVELOPER at the show was impressed. Not only will they all want to make games on this thing, this also buys Nintendo some time, they dont exactly need to release with or before the PS3.
just wait.

the sad thing though, i think Nintendo just killed the 360 in Japan. If the 360 launch is weak the PS3 will crush it. Revolution is no longer a console, its its own thing, and its going to sell way more than either of the other 2.

I predict a HUGE launch (if they do this right, the potential is sky high now.) I'm talking more games than the 360 launch. 3rd parties will be the meat of those.

A big launch with at least one game for every tastes? This thing is FLYING off the shelves.

Get off the drugs man, seriously.

In Japan everyone knows PS3 will dominate, the Revolution will be a ways behind and X360 even further.

Third parties aren't going to rush to the Revolution trust me. Look at the DS and its software support thus far. Development houses aren't going to gamble big $$$ on a system when they can support a PS3 or 360 that are "traditional" and can have multi-platform releases of similar play and fidelity. 3rd parties already jumped off the Gamcube ship yet it was a machine that could somewhat have similar releases.

All Nintendo has right now is an self admitted underpowered system with a gimmick that people are putting way too much stock into. All people keep saying is how it will move games forward. What about games that require several buttons and combos? At my count at best a person has access to 1 Analog, 4 buttons, and the motion of the "remote".
To me this will certainly hurt the complexity of games. I personally love complex games and don't want my games dumbed down just to be able to wildly swing a "remote" around.

Not to mention what if Sony comes out with a similar peripheral that works almost as well? Its not like this device is built into Revolution hardware.

steviep said:
Leviathan, I think you're a bit TOO optimistic. Unlike with their handlelds, Nintendo faces an uphill battle. That includes getting stupid corporate third parties to stop being so lazy with development. That said, I think most developers were very excited. For your info, Squaresoft, EA, Ubi, THQ and others were shown months ago, under NDA, what the Revolution and its control scheme was about.

That said, your optimism isn't completely unjustafied. As Nintendo themselves have said, they're not looking at the PS3 and X360 as competition anymore, because they are the "old" and this is the "new". If Nintendo comes out with a good launch, it WILL be huge. If they don't, they're going to face yet another uphill battle.

Exactly, but one point you missed is the fact that all those studios that were shown the controller before hand, were very few and far between. I.E. not many people. Now everyone has seens it, everyone has seen the potential. New studios and developers that you never heard of will be wanting to make games for this.

I didnt see it at first, but the new controller really does open a whole new world of gaming. If i was a game developer I would be extremely happy right now. Not only will it NOT cost my company $50 million to make 1 game,(like ps3, 360) but I can use controls like never before.

btw, if you havent noticed yet, you could have a multiplatform game, but because of the Rev. controls, every game made for the Rev IS exclusive.

Costs and innovation will flock the game makers.

[Fate]Doom said:
Third parties aren't going to rush to the Revolution trust me. Look at the DS and its software support thus far.

... a $129 system. I already own 5 games. 30 more to be released before the years end. Over 5 million is total sales....

I fail to see your logic. Are you trying to say noone is making/buying games for the DS?
When you know what you are talking about, you can come back to this thread.

jdunner3 said:
America has given Japanese cigarettes and tobacco for their own cigarettes. They seem to enjoy our pr0n also. Not to mention the have a HUGE import of crops/food products...which come from all over the world. They used to love our steel too.....

We're talking in the context of videogames.

Please don't pretend that it isn't a fact. Japan has some of the most fiercely nationalistic citizens in the world.

steviep said:
As for the Japanese - don't insult them. They do know quality, and had it not been for them, you wouldn't be playing most of the good games that have been made for consoles. Nintendo throws out the 2 versions of "brain games" and people eat them up. The adult one is selling more than the kid one. They give them software that's NOT the same ol shoot this, kill that, and people eat it up. What does this tell you? Look how well Nintendogs did. Hell, look at how well it's doing stateside. Clearly people who are crack-starved are not the only ones purchasing these games that are so different from everything else. And that's exactly what someone like me wants. Something that's not the same shit over and over. I'm tired of playing FPS clone # 153253332335555, or Madden 8003.

It wasn't an insult. It's a fact. Japan has always been a nation defined by fierce loyalty and rigid tradition.

You completely ignored the fact that Metroid Prime didn't do well there. Are you saying that wasn't a good game? Wasn't innovative and original? The fact that the Xbox doesn't sell well in Japan doesn't mean that there aren't good games on it. It just means that most of the good games on the Xbox are games that appeal to the Western crowd.

Your standard MO seems to be to simply ignore arguments that clearly refute your opinions while continuing on with your underlying crusade to rid the gaming world of Sony/Microsoft. Educate the non-believers!!1111 :rolleyes:

LeviathanZERO said:
... a $129 system. I already own 5 games. 30 more to be released before the years end. Over 5 million is total sales....

I fail to see your logic. Are you trying to say noone is making/buying games for the DS?
When you know what you are talking about, you can come back to this thread.

I know exactly what I am talking about. You are just either dillusional, on drugs, or both.

Sony’s new PSP console has sold an estimated 185,000 total market hardware units in its launch week, outdoing Nintendo’s DS (87,000 units at launch) to become the most successful UK console launch ever. 24 games were available at launch, the largest for any console, with 20 entering the All Formats Top 40 and 9 games breaking into the Top 10. Games were priced at £34.99 with the console itself retailing at £179.

DS has had a bad slump of releases lately and everyone knows that. Other than Nintendogs there really hasn't been anything for it to write home about in months.

Fact is that DS has not had the support of the more conventional Gameboy systems and the games that have have been released are little more than standard franchises with .......follow me now.....gimmicks added to them mostly in a poor fashion.

Do yourself a favor and go to gamerankings.com and look at the DS releases and their scores. 1, thats right 1 game has a score over 90%. Three of the rest of the top ten are Nintendogs breed variants. The game ranked #10 in overall review score has a whopping 76% rating. Now where is this great 3rd party support and killer apps?

Now compare releases and scores of games of the same period of the Gameboy. It appears not too many companies are rushing to the DS now does it?

You know what you are talking about?
And then you give me numbers for a european country, and fill your comments with drivel words like 'gimmicks'.

Like I said, when you know what you are talking about, you can resume posting. till then I'm ignoring you.

Heres a real world scenario for you, ok? I go to a school called Richland College here in Dallas, We have a small group of DS owners that get together at lunch and play games. (these are random people that ive just run into this semster, btw.) I have yet to spot anyone with a PSP.
Next, Im a waiter at a certain tex-mex resturaunt, I have seen more kids bring in DS's to play while waiting than GBAs. THAT should tell you something. Never even seen a PSP.

So, In MY country I can assure you people are playing and buying Nintendo DS's.

This is a prediction for the Next generation based on facts. This is not a pissing match between what YOU like more. You want to do that go to gamefaqs and leave this thread to the real analysts.

Back