The Next Big Gaming Failure

Dillirium

Limp Gawd
I'm almost 100% positive the next big gaming failure will be Warhammer Online. Why do you ask?

Not because it's based on Warhammer and not the Warhammer 40k.... not because the whole orc/dwarve thing is already being done. No no... the corruptions lies deeper than that.

it will die a fateful death due to EA. EA Games has turned itself from being a known sports brand to the true evil in the gaming industry. Whenever you see the EA label on a game (for the most part) You realize.. it's a pushed out game, bug forsaken, and will only be maintained until EA closes the door of the company that released it's title.

To put in scale how bad I think Warhammer online is going to fail. I think it's going to be worse than Asheron's Call 2.. yes ... i said it... it's going to exceed Microsoft's failure with Asheron's Call 2.

The game had potential but in the end.. sucked horribly compared to SWG... which most of us know.. sucks horribly compared to WoW.

Just my 2cents... there i said it.

EA bought out Mythic just recently.. I believe we are going to see something close to what happened with DICE.

The Sims series.
The entire Battlefield series.
The Medal of Honor series.
The Need for Speed series.
All their EA Sports games.
The Godfather.
The Lord of the Rings games. (though they could be no worse than the first)

And you know what? Archon, dammit. It was one of the coolest games on the C64.

Your theory is fueled by hatred. It doesn't fit.

Now if it was put out by the same people that came up with Matrix Online... :eek:

Please note that all of this post is soley my opinion so before you start flaming its MY OPINION.

Should open a poll what is going to be the number one horrible failure.... C&C 3 Tiberium Wars, Warhammer Online, or Battlefield 2142.

These games will fail if EA releases them as buggy unfinished products like they usually do. The competition against these games will blow them away as well...

Warhammer Online vs. World of Warcraft: Burning Crusades (this is an easy one Blizzard will blow away warhammer online knowing how EA is so good about keeping up with those patches and updates lol.

C&C 3 Tiberium Wars vs. Supreme Commander (Make a comparision of the features and content and you can see that Supreme Commander will come out on top no contest.)

Battlefield 2142 vs. UT2007 (I think the outcome speaks for its self... sure BF 2142 will sell some copies but that will soon change when UT2007 comes out first quarter next year.)

miskari said:
i thought we were all agreed that EA sux?

Some people aren't in the loop so we can frown upon them and their love for things we hate fuels our hatred.

could you enlighten us as to why we should care what you think the next big gaming failure is going to be?

its kind of old-fashioned, but instead of whining about companies doing this and that and what games you think are doomed to failure, why not just play the games you like?crazy, i know. and i know the EA haters have a competition going, the one who can burst the most blood vessels in their head whining about EA wins.

You guys fail to differentiate between EA and their MMO division. One is actually successful and produces titles like Sims and MoH. The other has tanked all but one project... ever.

Their successful titles do tend to have online components in it, yes, but this is in stark contrast to their MMO division, which is entirely online-based.

Let's look at their cancelled projects:

Ultima Online 2
Ultima X: Odyssey
Privateer Online/Wing Commander Online
BattleTech 3025
Harry Potter Online/Hogwarts Online

Let's look at what they've run into the ground shortly after launch:

Earth & Beyond
Motor City Online
Majestic

Soon to be tanked:

The Sims Online (its PEAK was at 100k, and it's been in decline ever since)

Their one true success:

Ultima Online

...and that really wasn't a commercial success. It was just the grandfather of the modern American MMO era.

So now they plan to publish Warhammer Online? We all better pray. This project has a lot of talented people involved but EA has a habit of completely screwing over people like that in accordance to their tank-all-MMO-projects mandate that they established after Ultima Online was a success. Many of their MMO projects had very, very talented people and a lot of great ideas that were run into the ground with EA's awesome management.

I understand the whole EA sux thing. But also there are game franchises I really look forward to that only EA puts out, example, Tiger Woods series, and the NFS series, I am not a fan of sports games however, and having owned both 1942 and BF2 I know why people are pissed off at them. But in the end there is really nothing that can be done. Sure you can say to people dont buy the game, but thats the same as these people saying dont buy gas because the price is to high. You wont get enough people to do it to really make it hurt. The only way EA would really feel any pain is if everyone stopped buying any game that is put out by EA, and we all know that will never happen. It's the way the cookie crumbles, EA is the largest gaimg entity there is and they have the cash to back all there short comings up. Wait until the day that MS buys EA, you heard it from me first it will happen :)

I decided to compile the avg scores for all the games stated earlier.
Avg. Scores (in order of release.) All scores are for PC version only. (unless stated.)

Battlefield 1942 89%
Road to Rome 84%
Secret Weapons 83%

Battlefield Vietnam 83%

Battlefield 2 92%
Special Forces 77%
Euro Force 75%
Armored Fury 72%
---------------------------

Medal of Honor AA 92%
Spearhead 80%
Breakthrough 69%

Pacific Assault 81%

NFS Hot Pursuit 2 82%
Underground 85%
Underground 2 85%
Most Wanted 84%

Madden 2004 89%
Madden 2005 90%
Madden 2006 78% (Check out the quality nose dive after the exclusive contract.)
Madden 2007 82% (still 4 points from 78%)

NBA Live 2004 76%
Live 2005 78%
Live 2006 69%
Live 2007 65% (Changed the score to X360 version. No PC scores yet.)

No Lord of the Rings because those games differ too much from each other, and theres only one Godfather game. (cant compare against itself?)
Wow, the Battlefield 2 expansions suck.

Edit: X360 is more in line with PC version of NBA Live 07. So I changed the score for that. Oh and I got these from Gametab and Gamerankings.

Wow, those scores are abhorrent.

Let's go play a quality game like Extreme Paintbrawl 4! :D

The Lord of the Rings games...

i will infringe an NDA

the lord of the ring online will be good ;)

Their one true success:

Ultima Online

...and that really wasn't a commercial success. It was just the grandfather of the modern American MMO era.

And they ran that into the ground...

You have to blame the PvP'ers for UO's eventual loss of fun imho. Fair PvP was a good thing when it started in UO when it was played right, but then it got to the point where even the newb players couldn't do anything without getting ganked the minute they stepped out of towns. That's the reason why they split the realms into non-PvP and PvP.
I played it for a couple of years, and once you get ganked by 5-6 people everyday numerous times for weeks on end, it gets frustrating to say the least.
There wasn't enough of the true PvP players to offset the hordes (no pun intended) of kids who figured killing anything that moved no matter what level was the way to do PvP.
But they do have free servers with the old ruleset i think so if you need a fix you probably can try them.

I hope that it will be BF2142. I think there is a very solid core there, but the shell... jeez. People need to wake up!

what EA is doing with the BF series, those booster packs/expansion packs/BF2142 is utter bullshit and i hope the entire company just gets fucking nuked or something

i think stalker is going to be a big disappointment because of all the features that have been cut out. the graphics wow factor is gone. just doesn't seem like there will be much of a game left.

<anti-EA retard>and OMG i hope all of EA's games suck and that it gets nuked! HAHA!</anti-EA retard>

I'd have to say the next big failure is going to be BF2142

It seem enough people have got it together and actually realised exactly what's going on with the franchise.

Frosteh said:
I'd have to say the next big failure is going to be BF2142

It seem enough people have got it together and actually realised exactly what's going on with the franchise.

Yup 2142 will be a flop unless they somehow put out a COMPLETELY different coded game than that awful demo turdlet. My friends at EB say that NOBODY is pre-ordering it. Bad sign but they earned it by putting out a crappy MOD and expecting $50 for it LOL.

spaceman said:
My friends at EB say that NOBODY is pre-ordering it.

Thats good to hear, since all EA seem to care about is money, cutting off their cash supply is going to be the only real way to get through to them and let them know that the games they're making need to be supported before we'll buy them.

BF2 was bareable up to a point because other than some really retarded game dynamics and the mass of bugs, it was actually a decent game (or should I say concept?)

Dillirium said:
I'm almost 100% positive the next big gaming failure will be Warhammer Online. Why do you ask?

Not because it's based on Warhammer and not the Warhammer 40k.... not because the whole orc/dwarve thing is already being done. No no... the corruptions lies deeper than that.

it will die a fateful death due to EA. EA Games has turned itself from being a known sports brand to the true evil in the gaming industry. Whenever you see the EA label on a game (for the most part) You realize.. it's a pushed out game, bug forsaken, and will only be maintained until EA closes the door of the company that released it's title.

To put in scale how bad I think Warhammer online is going to fail. I think it's going to be worse than Asheron's Call 2.. yes ... i said it... it's going to exceed Microsoft's failure with Asheron's Call 2.

The game had potential but in the end.. sucked horribly compared to SWG... which most of us know.. sucks horribly compared to WoW.

Just my 2cents... there i said it.

I didn't realise Warhammer was a big game

Dillirium said:
[...]
You have it all wrong. It'll fail, because you don't need to pay extra for each character that you want to play. The price has to be exponential in its strength. Tthat is how GW made Warhammer Fantasy Battle work out nicely. :D

what alot of people fail to Realize is , is that mythic has been given complete control of all of EA's MMO's, there complete two diffrent entities

Mythic has done good and Bad with its Dark Age Of Camelot which far superior to any RvR/PvP system out there right now. Warhammer was there baby and will continue to be, EA is there for the Finiancial Backing and Promotion to make money..

i think we can clearly see the failure that is taking place as we speak

Dark age of Camelot is probably the best team based pvp game for any mmo ever made. Warhammer is from the Mythic Entertainment (which ea bought). I don't think the game will be as big as WoW, mainly cause of how much hype the game has. But WAR is all about PVP. And WoW's pvp is terrible. I think a lot of the hardcore WoW pvpers will leave for WAR to be honest.

DarkfallFan said:
Darkfall Online > All.

No no no, you guys got it all wrong,

EVE-Online > Darkfall Online > Guild Wars > WOW > SWG > AC2 > Warhammer Online!!!!!!!

hardcore WoW pvpers

LOL.
Mutual Exclusivity at it's best, there are NO hardcore WoW PvPers.

Besides EA never made UO, and when they purchased Origin that is when the game went to absolute shit.

Pre-EA UO > AC1 Darktide > AC1 > DAOC > WoW > EQ1 > EQ2 > Lineage > Shadowbane > SWG > AC2 > Autoassault.

Neurofreeze said:
decline ever since)

Their one true success:

Ultima Online

So now they plan to publish Warhammer Online? We all better pray. This project has a lot of talented people involved but EA has a habit of completely screwing over people like that in accordance to their tank-all-MMO-projects mandate that they established after Ultima Online was a success. Many of their MMO projects had very, very talented people and a lot of great ideas that were run into the ground with EA's awesome management.

EA didn't create Ultima Online. Origin Systems aka. OSI created Ultima Online, then when it was bought out by EA the whole game crumbled into itself because EA wanted to push stupid carebear content out and completely alter the original ruleset thereby totally screwing the original customers who purchased the game.

EA creates linear carebear worlds that appease the people who want worlds without consequence. My hope for Warhammer Online is that the oringial Relic employees have the most say so and will try to keep away from the general EA school of thought.

In my opinion we need a MMORPG with the individual in mind as opposed to 40 man groups. Ultima Online catered to grouping as well as individual fighting and that is where I think thier primary fanbase came from. WoW is generally bland past level 60, and lets face is raiding every night for 3-4 hours with 40 people on the internet isn't what most people want. I myself have done it and most of my guild mates end up on mute just so I can tolerate it.

Nixxon said:
EA didn't create Ultima Online. Origin Systems aka. OSI created Ultima Online, then when it was bought out by EA the whole game crumbled into itself because EA wanted to push stupid carebear content out and completely alter the original ruleset thereby totally screwing the original customers who purchased the game.

Yeah EA destroyed UO, then tried to revitalize it later. After that the EQ craze took over and most people hand wandered off.

Also to note above WoW's pvp does suck, that is why many of the power gamers did not play that game for very long, even on pvp servers, its still very carebear.

It really sucks that Wow beat Warhammer to the release. I mean Warcraft is based on Warhammer! Blizzard couldn't get the license back in the day! It's a carbon copy of Warhammers design!

Back