The new Zalman 9700 vs. Thermalright Ultra-120

jpinard

Limp Gawd
Hi everyone. I pretty much destroyed my Zalman CNP9500 cpu cooler trying to mod it to hold a 120mm fan. So I need to get a replacement. I've spent many hours combing the web for the top coolers and it seems like the new Zalman 9700 and the new Thermalright Ultra-120 are the best. I will be overclocking my system. Performance-wise pretend the thermalright comes with a fan - cause I'd put one on it.

So I have a couple of questions...

* Which one do you think will be better? I can't find any head-to-head reviews of them.

* Is there a cooler I should be considering that isn't above?

* Can I get into water cooling my cpu for $100 or less?

---------------------

heatsinks.jpg

* Which one do you think will be better? I can't find any head-to-head reviews of them.

* Is there a cooler I should be considering that isn't above?

* Can I get into water cooling my cpu for $100 or less?

1. Thermalright.
2. Scythe Infinity, Tuniq Tower.
3. You can, but it's not recommended. Go all the way, or don't do it at all. Cheap watercooling is just a waste of money.

I'd say the same as Bbq, except that you should also consider the Thermalright SI-128, and watercooling for less than $100 is effectively impossible in the sense that temps will be higher than even mid-low end aircooling.

I did water cooling for right around $100 mark, just had to get used stuff on the FS/FT forums.

DD TDX
DD maze4
Hydor L35
HeaterCore with 2 Delta Fans
Tubing from local exotic fish place
Ghetto Fillport
Took alot more work and fabbed some stuff using things at home but it works fine, and has gr8 performance.

So, of all the otions listed in the posts above... which is probably the best cooler? The Tuniq? Ultra-120? A scythe?

Thanks for the help.

The Infinity is the best, except if you've got an LGA775 PC the mounting system sucks so you'll have to custom-fab your own to get the best performance(instructions are on xtremesystems.org). If you'd rather not have to make it yourself, I would suggest the Thermalright SI-128 with a 70+CFM fan, or even better the Tuniq Tower if you can find one.

Zero82z said:
The Infinity is the best, except if you've got an LGA775 PC the mounting system sucks so you'll have to custom-fab your own to get the best performance(instructions are on xtremesystems.org). If you'd rather not have to make it yourself, I would suggest the Thermalright SI-128 with a 70+CFM fan, or even better the Tuniq Tower if you can find one.

Wow, I'm more confused than ever. So the Scythe Infinity is the reigning champ right now? I didn't see it in any roundups.

I have the Scythe Ninja Plus, the mounting was very easy and it works great.

There is no review yet that compares the best coolers in one test.

Hopefully someone soon enough will compare the:

Tuniq Tower 120
Thermalright Ultra 120
Scythe Infinity

*Zalman 9700* (Newest one, and almost no real reviews on this one yet)

Those are the latest coolers out there and are reported to be very close in performance, within 1 - 2 degrees.

Whichever you go with, it will be one of the best!

Back