The new Towers name?

Grathrax

Limp Gawd
Since the laptop models were renamed, does anyone expect the new tower (G5 replacement) to be renamed as well? The laptops were renamed because Jobs wanted "mac" to be in their title somewhere, and the towers are already known as "Power Macs" but the power is probably in reference to the PPC architecture which is being replaced. I am willing to bet that the new tower (whatever chip it contains) will probably get a new name.

Maybe a Mac Pro, or a MacTower Pro going off of the Macbook names...

I don't know really, those both sound pretty dumb, PowerMac is a much cooler name, even if it doesn't use a PPC chip, it would still be a powerful machine so the name could still fit.

Apple has trademarked or copyrighted, i forget which, the name "Mac Pro", so it's probably going to be that.

I've heard rumors of Mac Pro.

I wonder if Apple is still going to use the same type of cases they have now? Or come up with something new.

actually the above poster is right apple either registered the copyright or trademark of "Mac Pro"

emailthatguy said:
actually the above poster is right apple either registered the copyright or trademark of "Mac Pro"

Ugh, that is such an awful name, it is as bad, if not worse, than Wii. They might as well call it the DildoMac for as much as that is going to draw people in.

how mac pro is worse than kids playing with their wii is beyond me

you need your head checked. no offense but you do

clean_me said:
Too bad they couldn't use 'Big Mac' :p
MINE!
picture16uo.jpg

I like the way MacMac rolls off the tongue :p
I think it will be Mac Pro too....or maybe iMac Pro....even though..well..its not an iMac

emailthatguy said:
how mac pro is worse than kids playing with their wii is beyond me

you need your head checked. no offense but you do

Maybe it is just the change from old to new. GameCube was't a great name, but it at least described the product, it was a cube, and it played games. Wii is bad, but, at least it is original.

PowerMac was a cool ass name, I mean, anything with Power in the name is cool. Mac Pro is just.. offputting. The fact is the Mac towers aren't only used by professionals. Anyone who wants to use their own sized monitors instead of getting tied down to the integrated iMac BS, or the less than stellar graphics of the laptops has to get one of the towers, and the Pro name just sort of makes it seem more like a workstation than a regular computer.

Maybe UltraMac or SuperMac or even IntelliMac would work.

NulloModo said:
Maybe it is just the change from old to new. GameCube was't a great name, but it at least described the product, it was a cube, and it played games. Wii is bad, but, at least it is original.

PowerMac was a cool ass name, I mean, anything with Power in the name is cool. Mac Pro is just.. offputting. The fact is the Mac towers aren't only used by professionals. Anyone who wants to use their own sized monitors instead of getting tied down to the integrated iMac BS, or the less than stellar graphics of the laptops has to get one of the towers, and the Pro name just sort of makes it seem more like a workstation than a regular computer.

Well if someone wants to use their own monitor with it, they are either doing so because they know they can*....or they are a Pro..and thus need to.

*I say this, because if they know they can...then they must know something about Macs/Computers in general, and thus know the "PowerMac" (whatever it will be), can be used by people other than professionals

so having "Pro" in the name seems logical to me...(not to mention it carries on the "Macbook Pro" theme...)

catch my drift?

NulloModo said:

Has it occurred to anyone they may call it the ProMac?

edit: ugh, sounds little bit like a medicine. like prozac :p

The Macintosh Professional

The Macintosh Extreme - For the Intel EE Processors

[H]ard On said:
Apple has trademarked or copyrighted, i forget which, the name "Mac Pro", so it's probably going to be that.
they filed a new zealand trademark for that -appleinsider

Second "Mac Pro" filing by Apple surfaces

By AppleInsider Staff
Published: 01:00 PM EST
Offering yet another hint that it's done using the "Power" moniker in the names of its professional computer offerings, Apple Computer this week made a second trademark filing on the phrase "Mac Pro," this time in the United States.

The first filing was made with New Zealand's Intellectual Property Office, AppleInsider reported in January. At the time, speculation based purely on the filing itself suggested that Apple was considering "Mac Pro" brand as a replacement for the company's "Power Mac" desktop computer line.

In both the November 18, 2005 filing in New Zealand and the one on May 17th, 2006 with the United States Patent and Trademark office, Apple describes Mac Pro broadly as "computers; computer hardware; computer software; computer peripherals; notebook computers; laptop computers; tablet computers; computer servers; handheld computers; mobile computers; hard drives; audio speakers; speakers for computers; radios; cameras; video cameras; telephones; mobile telephones; personal digital assistants; electronic organizers; electronic notepads; magnetic data carriers; telephones; mobile phones; computer gaming machines; microprocessors; memories boards; monitors; displays; keyboards; computer input devices; computer cables; modems; printers; parts and accessories for all the aforesaid goods."

The next major update to Apple's professional line of Power Mac desktop computers is expected in the second half of the year.

Development of the new Intel-based systems began last October as a combined effort between Apple's California design studios and Intel Oregon, the latter of which is reportedly developing the new logic-boards for Apple.

Back