The New Thief Is Highway Robbery?

HardOCP News

[H] News
This guy doesn't seem to have a very high opinion of the new Thief game. Kind of a bummer too, I was hoping it would be good. :(

Unfortunately, Thief fails to gain any momentum. In fact, there was nothing I played during my time with it that stood out as memorable. At first I had written it off as a game just getting off to a slow start, but very little ever gets going throughout the campaign. Thief is an exercise in monotony that's occasionally so simple it's insulting.

One of the developers said that with the hold system getting caught could kill you and that is was very "unforgiving".

The developer was trying to avoid players getting frustrated by the potential for failure.

Modern AAA games: Spoon feeding brain-damaged dude-bros so hard that getting killed once knocks them clean out of their flip flops.

another old school game killed by modern sensibilities...why can't developers make games like they did back in the 90's?...most of the best games (not including graphics) came from a time long ago

A review that looks to be three paragraphs with a common grammatical error in the first sentence. Why does C|NET even bother?

I'm sure plenty of people out there think the game is still too hard.

Dear consoles, thanks for dumbing down our beloved games (and ruining everything we love).

Sad to hear the bad news from multiple sources now... I was hoping the story would be something good... now the choice is clear: DO NOT BUY

this is why I never hope they make a new System Shock game.... the first 2 are still just too fantastic to get butchered by todays developers and game players

As expected. Ken Levine rolled his eyes when he heard some crap studio was using the IP to make a thief titled game.

Brace yourself for crap BioShock games too now that Irrational is closed.

Dear consoles, thanks for dumbing down our beloved games (and ruining everything we love).

You are totally welcome.

It is likely because console gamers are usually much more casual and just do not have the time for massively sadistic games. I know that I do not. Games that force massive grinding(FF series) are also a huge turn off.

Wasn't this suppose to have Mantle support?

That's strike two.

Looks like AMD is supporting the wrong games.

Games seem to be becoming more forgiving and altogether easier... more like.... a movie maybe?

Exercising brain cells hard, me bash console, me want movie with handheld control so me can move camera while watching movi.. errr... Game!

another old school game killed by modern sensibilities...why can't developers make games like they did back in the 90's?...most of the best games (not including graphics) came from a time long ago

They can't make games like they did in the 90's because the amount of people that will play something over 1 time after dying is a lot higher than the percentage of people that will play something over 20 times to get the timing just right, even if the resulting sense of accomplishment and satisfaction is exponentially greater. Big dev studios need to sell big numbers.

You should look into indie dev'd games, they may be more to your liking.

Modern AAA games: Spoon feeding brain-damaged dude-bros so hard that getting killed once knocks them clean out of their flip flops.

^ this.

Saw someone complain today that they wouldn't be buying Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze because they read that it was too hard. WTF? What ever happened to "get better" or enjoying a good challenge?

According to a TB video I just saw, you can turn off anything that is beneficial to making the game "easy" in the pc version. Even things like "if you die, you have to start off from the beginning" type of thing.

Don't blame consoles, there are lots of great games on consoles that are properly challenging and fun. A lot of games come into existence that simply wouldn't be made because of so may platforms and users.

This belongs squarely at the feet of the developer, they didn't give a shit about their customers or didn't understand their market so they tried to find a new one. What these developers still haven't figured out is that it's great to make a pop-idol like Call of Battlefield, or FIFA/Madden and market it to tweens and idiots but you can't make all of your games like that. That's why there isn't 30 Justin Biebers at a time, you can only sell so much product to a single demographic. It costs a lot of money to make something terrible like Call of Duty into "the thing to have to be cool". Thief is a single player game where you can't unleash racial slurs and homophobic threats at people over voice chat, it can't be "the thing to have to be cool" so it needed to be good instead. They fucked that up.

ShitDammit!!

I bought this for $15 off the forum here months ago (AMD Code). I was going to sample this weekend... Welp, looks like another title I'm never going to get through.

QFT. It's also how I feel about the reviewer. "Writing reviews is hard so I'll just whine blandly for several paragraphs, cite no references or history, and call it a day." I write longer, more detailed, and much better researched reviews for the people on my steam friends list ffs... get out.

Bullshit. Console games are some of the most difficult. Super Mario on the NES is more difficult than any PC game Ive played in the past 10 years. PC developers are as just as guilty, if not more so, than console developers for regurgitating face-roll easy-mode crap.

Bullshit. Console games are some of the most difficult. Super Mario on the NES is more difficult than any PC game Ive played in the past 10 years. PC developers are as just as guilty, if not more so, than console developers for regurgitating face-roll easy-mode crap.

Super Mario on the NES is "hard".. Sure it was hard when I first played it when I was like 12.
After playing it through multiple times and learning all the secrets and warp zones, I was able to do a run through in around 15 minutes.

You want a truly hard game, go play some of the ones that were released on the TurboGrafx.

Deungeon Explorer 1 and 2 come to mind. Multiplayer that is pretty much impossible even when 2 people are playing. It allows for up to 5 people, but good luck getting that many people together to play an RPG.

Or how about Wolfeinstein 3d on "I am death incarnate" mode on the PC where you literally have to save before every door you open because you will most likely die multiple times before being able to get away with maybe 5% health left.

Both of those games are of course more than 10 years old, but I am comparing to Super Mario on NES.

As for newer games that are difficult/you die a lot... try Dark Souls on the PC. Not sure if it is easier on consoles. You die, it sends you back to the last checkpoint AND you lose all experience after that checkpoint.

Also, games are harder when you up the difficulty level. Games that are stupid easy and have no difficulty settings are for the 8-12 year old kids (and those who never mature past that) who want to "beat" a game so they can brag to their friends about it and then move on to the next crappy title and do the same thing.

The UK advert for the console version looked unappealing.
They said pre-order now, I thought not a chance, you'd be a fool.
I'm annoyed, decent franchise going to waste.

Don't kid yourself man. We haven't had any REAL consoles since the ps2. Last gen/this gen dont count. They are just half ass, neutered, and limited PC's.

P.S: He does make a mistake thinking Super Sampling AA (SSAA) is Screen Space Ambient Occlusion

It's not the consoles, it's the culture, folks.

If you have kids, just wait until they are given a passing grade for "creative spelling" on an assignment... I flipped my lid and made my son learn how to really spell. If you ever wonder where the everyone gets a trophy, let's not make anyone work for anything, no death-penalties attitude comes from, it starts at school and is reinforced by child psychologists who have no kids of their own but act like they know everything there is to know about children.

I actually watched a significant amount of the game streamed a few days ago. (it leaked)

it was TERRIBLE. the only fun I had from the stream was the people in the chat that made fun of the game.

Every time garret (which half the characters say as Carrot) got hit he would only make one sound.

Eh. so every time he got in combat the whole chat just spammed Eh.

was overall very dull and boring. Lots of loading screens. They put a lot of elevators to make it seem like part of the game, but its essentially a loading screen (Like the original mass effect).

Looks awful.

One of the developers said that with the hold system getting caught could kill you and that is was very "unforgiving".

The developer was trying to avoid players getting frustrated by the potential for failure.

Ok but you can't whine about that in this game. They have the ability to customize difficulty. You want it so that if you take damage (any damage) you fail a mission? They have that choice. Want it so you have no lethal arrows? They have that choice.

Difficulty whining with this game seems very silly. You can say it doesn't look fun, but saying that it has been dumbed down for AAA audiences is rather silly. Ya, you can set it to ultra fucking easy mode... or you can turn it all the way hardcore. It has options, which is what games should have.

It's 2014.

Amazing learning AI have been fan-made for games since the 1996 Quake, many have gained jobs in the industry from writing bots for games.

So what's the excuse behind this?

Super Mario on the NES is "hard".. Sure it was hard when I first played it when I was like 12.
After playing it through multiple times and learning all the secrets and warp zones, I was able to do a run through in around 15 minutes.

You want a truly hard game, go play some of the ones that were released on the TurboGrafx.

Deungeon Explorer 1 and 2 come to mind. Multiplayer that is pretty much impossible even when 2 people are playing. It allows for up to 5 people, but good luck getting that many people together to play an RPG.

Or how about Wolfeinstein 3d on "I am death incarnate" mode on the PC where you literally have to save before every door you open because you will most likely die multiple times before being able to get away with maybe 5% health left.

Both of those games are of course more than 10 years old, but I am comparing to Super Mario on NES.

As for newer games that are difficult/you die a lot... try Dark Souls on the PC. Not sure if it is easier on consoles. You die, it sends you back to the last checkpoint AND you lose all experience after that checkpoint.

Also, games are harder when you up the difficulty level. Games that are stupid easy and have no difficulty settings are for the 8-12 year old kids (and those who never mature past that) who want to "beat" a game so they can brag to their friends about it and then move on to the next crappy title and do the same thing.

TG16, Ninja Spirit. Probably the single hardest game I've ever played.
Ghouls and Ghosts on Genesis, NES and SuperGrafx (only played those versions even though there were several more) would be 2nd hardest for me.
TG16, R Type, Lord of Thunder, Gate of Thunder Ys Book 3 (SNES version was a cakewalk by comparison), those are probably my next tier of near impossible to beat games.
NES, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, the MegaMan series, Faxanadu, Guardian Legend, Blaster Master, all insane hard.
Think I played more nearly impossible games on TG16 than any other system but they were ALL great. You really felt like you accomplished something if you could beat them.
Just makes me sick you can set difficulty on a game so low anymore you can snore your way through it and people STILL cheat with hacks and trainers.

TG16, Ninja Spirit. Probably the single hardest game I've ever played.
Ghouls and Ghosts on Genesis, NES and SuperGrafx (only played those versions even though there were several more) would be 2nd hardest for me.
TG16, R Type, Lord of Thunder, Gate of Thunder Ys Book 3 (SNES version was a cakewalk by comparison), those are probably my next tier of near impossible to beat games.
NES, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, the MegaMan series, Faxanadu, Guardian Legend, Blaster Master, all insane hard.
Think I played more nearly impossible games on TG16 than any other system but they were ALL great. You really felt like you accomplished something if you could beat them.
Just makes me sick you can set difficulty on a game so low anymore you can snore your way through it and people STILL cheat with hacks and trainers.

Kieth Courage is way harder than Ninja Spirit.
That game is easy. :p

Kieth Courage is way harder than Ninja Spirit.
That game is easy. :p

I beat Kieth Courage the first day.
It took me a month to finish Ninja Spirit, had to memorize the falling level, which is harder than any other level in any game I've ever played.

everything to us will have been better back then, it is part of getting old, assuming your over...25?

kids these days will rant, scary thought, about how great CoD 5+ was...

As for newer games that are difficult/you die a lot... try Dark Souls on the PC. Not sure if it is easier on consoles.
wait...what?

anyway, Super Mario was fun but Ghosts and Goblins on NES was *hard*.

Unsubscribed from Total Biscuit because he locked his comments, has the Reddit page being actively moderated etc

Basically he likes the game, and is made that "Everyone else dislikes it!" and trying to tell people they are wrong.

Remember when opinions, were, well, OPINIONS TB? What, now we're not allowed to have opinions, only YOU'RE allowed to have opinions?

I think this popularity has gone completely to his head.

I beat Kieth Courage the first day.
It took me a month to finish Ninja Spirit, had to memorize the falling level, which is harder than any other level in any game I've ever played.

I'm surprised anyone went that far. I couldn't sit long enough with that game. It made me so mad that the "Dark_world_mecha_sword_robot" stages were not the whole game, and you had that faggy happy land in-between sections. I really hated that game as a child. It should have never been that pack in... but good ol' NEC.... Bonks Revenge and Soldier Blade (OH God, SOLIDER BLADE) were my first real TG games.

You are totally welcome.

It is likely because console gamers are usually much more casual and just do not have the time for massively sadistic games. I know that I do not. Games that force massive grinding(FF series) are also a huge turn off.

The popularity of the Souls series would seem to discount that notion.

Back