The New Super High Resolution PC Screenshot Thread

Without ANY kind of AA, I can pretty much max out most games, but even at 4K, you want SOME sort of edge smoothing, that's why FXAA is your friend.

Thanks for the input. I've tended to avoid FXAA because it seemed to make everything blurry. Have you noticed any difference where that is concerned?

I do a little photography as a hobby and I've become overly picky about shots that are not tack sharp. The main reason I haven't posted any Rise of the Tomb Raider shots yet is because no matter how I set things, I haven't been able to find a setting where the textures don't look smudged slightly... That and the game just looks flat in screenshots, not as bad during actual gameplay.

Thanks for the input. I've tended to avoid FXAA because it seemed to make everything blurry. Have you noticed any difference where that is concerned?

I do a little photography as a hobby and I've become overly picky about shots that are not tack sharp. The main reason I haven't posted any Rise of the Tomb Raider shots yet is because no matter how I set things, I haven't been able to find a setting where the textures don't look smudged slightly... That and the game just looks flat in screenshots, not as bad during actual gameplay.

The issue a lot of people have is that Real-Life is not as sharp as people imagine. I know the look of a REALLY nice, sharp photograph, and that is accomplished through detail contrast and high resolution. The Detail contrast is like DOF, using the lens focus to emphasise the subject. Resolution, even on a screen that can't fully support it, psychologically makes the image seem sharper, even when pixel-to-pixel it looks worse. Its hard to realise, psychologically, but when you are looking at a portion of a large image versus the whole of an image, your brain changes what it looks for. Looking at the whole photograph in photoshop, reduced in size to fit the screen, will look nice an sharp (and aliased all to hell) but when you fit the image 100% pixel-to-pixel, your brain looks at it differently. Edges that would normally seem terrible are just fine because you are 'zoomed in' and a blurry line is no issue, as you know subconsciously that the image is sharp when looked at as a whole. this effect is lost when you zoom in beyond the 1-to-1 pixel ratio of your monitor, essentially beyond 100%.

Have a look at this image:

Some random image I found on Uncle Google'

Now this is not the BEST image to illustrate my point but its not bad. If you zoom your browser to 100% (by holding Control and rolling the mouse wheel) Or copy-paste the image into photoshop and zoom at 100%, the edges look pretty sharp. especially toward the centre of the photo. Find a nice, sharp edge that just calls out to you, something that looks RAZOR SHARP, If you zoom in to these eges (say, 400%) you see that these edges are terribly blurry and fuzzy. Yet, they looked fine in the 100% zoom (or at least they did to me). I'm pretty sure if there were an anti-aliasing technique that blurred the image THIS MUCH, there would be an outrage, yet it is just fine for photographs. Our brains treat the 'photo' data differently than the 'game' data. I really wish I had an answer to whether FXAA is 'too blurry'. To me, it looks just fine at 4K. But others claim that it looks terrible! So hey, just try it, and keep an open mind, as well.

some more TW3

B4YIs4b.jpg

6CRNXdQ.jpg

MGS5. Hard to take in-game cutscenes due to the harsh use of motion-blur, it looks amazing in-game, but when you take a Steam cap, it slows down the render so it kicks the MB into overdrive.

2016-02-21_00004.jpg

2016-02-21_00006.jpg

2016-02-22_00004.jpg

2016-02-22_00009.jpg

2016-02-23_00002.jpg

2016-02-23_00003.jpg

2016-02-23_00004.jpg

am i the only one who runs triple wide anymore?
With the prevalence of 4K and Ultrawide monitors, not MANY people have reason to. Eyefinity and Surround kind of died when Ultrawides came out.

No, they aren't the same, but ultrawides scratch the itch, and are MUCH more simple to set up and play games with. This is coming from a previous Eyefinity missionary. Essentially, you can get the 'wide' experience without having to buy three monitors or worry about game compatibility.

I've been trying to get some decent shots of The Division, but this game only looks its best at one or two times of day, and its day / night cycle moves rather quickly. That and I've been too absorbed in the game to stop and smell the NY gun powder residue. ;)

I haven't seen many flight sim screenshots. Flying a Southwest 737-800 from Nashville to Chicago Midway in Prepar3d. For whatever reason I can't get them all to display in full size (3440x1440).

y3mTcrO4ZQegBnOSsnHIiPZW5PbUyasaNOOfymcgD0VSN5HEPho9nC1T5KAuJqeyQt_8mZszAoAlDWEpJ7pxVGsMak67EZZnKz_p5lxb_hDWt8kaFEVJQjOLjrD7VbdZO1RZBxIP_xfrHjou9n87msRfqoL8Z4JouGN241Sq_IEtt4

y3mNLs8wLLpJZM3s7R6WVzNwbd1OMdQygIs-yk7pt_xgUryG5If6s8btnBmo5GZTJft6wuV8_0arTVHA-T_Xo-GpI-SR5jQrpq35kpg4qrDUJrMJxa4Ho-IEqgOEMtVKiK68Fd1BwU-CcNfy1YpkAvCv7CZRcIdSL4FjCKhCkUsW8Q

y3mbXk5b0a71tIbCzzUxgCpcf0CXb7zKdc2zEQTKvK5CbmqlXFP0LTWw_EG2vraqstw5969z-CAt9nnJawYDrAZLzCCQSysR8ZU6cBPLwBAY7RpvqPrYHDH-Zpnv9UJWYp2XFn4Zn1leRFsj8KCGNdSyzCNQNtZFhdlpccaMmN3Pyo

y3mnr15iSqXhdppmj-1tY-3MXTLjLtFysUNczIwFovw51mKkh2RLpKHvjlTmDzn_ASOlFbQTsnZKTpgBAdvMgyt1tzLp8r-LxhdaqWxKZin3fLz_hVrQA1PPoqg_-QA3htwXJOYK0DQaznwHMHsJFV95TkmeB5XLIg_WQZ5qgeRHmI

Last edited:
Wow, you've got your brightness cranked! I was in that room last night, and it was a hell of a lot darker. Looks good though!!

Wow, you've got your brightness cranked! I was in that room last night, and it was a hell of a lot darker. Looks good though!!

Ah - that would be the "gritty" renderer setting. It makes things brighter... I tried regular for a while but I kind of like "gritty" now.

Ah - that would be the "gritty" renderer setting. It makes things brighter... I tried regular for a while but I kind of like "gritty" now.

Oh! I haven't even played with the renderer. I may have to take a peek at that.

Playing around with Nvidia Ansel and The Witcher 3 - hit ALT + F2 in game to enter the Ansel util. It's very easy to use once in. Images go to /videos folder. I think you need drivers 368.91 and over or something like that. It should be noted I am using SweetFX with the Blood and Wine visibility preset 1.1. I have most options on ultra.

uhMMOrA.png

I1QAfyF.png

TNG5SSp.png

ua8hPar.png

pUsdBtW.png

kahGQlW.png

(I set a custom filter for this one - more darkness + contrast and color depth)
UXRGjRD.png

EDIT: Adding more of Toussaint

pdlfTqs.png

vYxaLTk.png

6Vf8VmE.png

u1HKj2N.png

wlUTDFp.png

Last edited:
It has a great story and quest system as well as its looks. It even looks great when you run into bugs (which are few)
*snip*

It's a milestone open world action RPG, and if you're into that kind of thing it's a must-play.

They fixed a lot of horse (Roach) bugs but it's always fun to see one happen.

The sand / leaves in the last shot look terrible... But everything else looks amazing, I'll have to try it sometime.

Back