The new stuff for 2007

Clockworks

Supreme [H]ardness
I recently sold my old laptop for $850 to my roomate. Currently, I'm tied to down to my desktop and fine with that. Here's the thing, I don't like using the desktop that much because it isn't portable. Next year I will be going to Spain for family and classes so I need something portable, nothing bigger than 14", and has a lot of battery life. I plan on buying my new machine in the April of '07. Here are my questions:

1. What is coming out next year as far as portable CPUs?
2. Is this long enough for Vista to have some sort of a start to clean out a least some of the bugs?
3. Is 7200 RPM really worth it and does it kill the battery life?
4. Is it true that DDR3 is coming out next year, is it worth it?

I'll need the machine for mostly Photoshop and just ordinary use. I want Photoshop to be fast as I'll be working with large images (around 10MP) and in the RAW format.

get a dell inspiron they work great and they have a graphics card instead of integrated for photoshop and some games and its cheap as hell

Dell doesn't seem to be offering 7200RPM drivers in their Inspiron and XPS lines anymore.

Since no one has answered your question about what is coming out next year I'll tell you. The current mobile platform by intel is called "Napa" which consists of the Core Duo (yonah) And Core 2 Duo (Merom) along with the intel 3945 wifi chipset and 945PM/GM mobo chipset.

For next year intel will be releasing a new platform called "Santa Rosa" which go figure will be more power efficient and all that good stuff, most importantly (from a performance standpoint) will be the addition of the 800mhz fsb. Current Merom and yonah cpu's use the 667mhz fsb. With the raise in fsb that should help performance quite a bit.

Regarding vista i'm not too hyped up on, it so no telling when all the bugs are worked out (XP is still being fixed)

7200rpms hard drives are very much worth upgrading too in notebooks i've only had one notebook with a slower 5400rpm drive. They do make a big diiference in performance, the heat buildup is negligible at best, and i have not noticed a signifigant loss of battery life IE None!

If your looking into smaller notebooks take a peak at what ASUS has to offer, the Z35 in my sig is probably close to what your looking for.

In 6 months something might change, but memon is gonna be intel's moblie baby for a while. You might see some speed bumps, but nothing major. Asus has good solid laptops in the 14inch range.

SILVR 6 said:
Since no one has answered your question about what is coming out next year I'll tell you. The current mobile platform by intel is called "Napa" which consists of the Core Duo (yonah) And Core 2 Duo (Merom) along with the intel 3945 wifi chipset and 945PM/GM mobo chipset.

For next year intel will be releasing a new platform called "Santa Rosa" which go figure will be more power efficient and all that good stuff, most importantly (from a performance standpoint) will be the addition of the 800mhz fsb. Current Merom and yonah cpu's use the 667mhz fsb. With the raise in fsb that should help performance quite a bit.

Regarding vista i'm not too hyped up on, it so no telling when all the bugs are worked out (XP is still being fixed)

7200rpms hard drives are very much worth upgrading too in notebooks i've only had one notebook with a slower 5400rpm drive. They do make a big diiference in performance, the heat buildup is negligible at best, and i have not noticed a signifigant loss of battery life IE None!

If your looking into smaller notebooks take a peak at what ASUS has to offer, the Z35 in my sig is probably close to what your looking for.

TY! But your answer raises some more questions.

1. Is all this going to be released before April?
2. Is there any memory that runs at 800Mhz? I looked at the 'egg but found nothing, only 667.
3. Bigger is better in hard drive, you think manufaturers will release a 200gig drive by April or May at the latest?

Thanks again for all the help guys.

200GB HDs are out but at only 4200 RPM. Also FSB is gonna do little for Memon, and probally the apps you will use, you won't notice. Keys to look for in a laptop

1: What is your main purpose? This will determine what size notebook
2: max buget
3: research now, but don't look into to it much now as the computer can change very quickly.
4: if you need this for school ect... 14inch will probally be a good compermise between light weight and power.

Regarding the memory, i'm not sure, ddr 667 so-dimms have been out for a while so I can't imagine them NOT having the ddr memory to match the fsb, unless the chipset is designed to run on a ratio.

Hard drive wise, havn't heard a whole lot on the capacity front, there is seagates 160gb 5400 rpm drive that has perpendicular recording so its a bit faster than other 5400rpm drives.

Timeline wise, from what i've read it seems the first 1/2 of next year for the next centrino platform, so if we say availability in may then your probably alright. Having said that say it doesn't come out in time, the current platform is very speedy and would have dropped quite a bit in price by early next year.

Vengance_01 said:
200GB HDs are out but at only 4200 RPM. Also FSB is gonna do little for Memon, and probally the apps you will use, you won't notice. Keys to look for in a laptop

1: What is your main purpose? This will determine what size notebook
2: max buget
3: research now, but don't look into to it much now as the computer can change very quickly.
4: if you need this for school ect... 14inch will probally be a good compermise between light weight and power.

1 - Mostly for MS Office use but will also be using Photoshop, heavily.
2 - Around $1200 but can go a little bit higher if there is enough incentive.
3 - Did a little bit of that but it seems hard to find something, usually the leaked stuff is easy to come by but not in this case, dunno why.

if you have a broad mind, why not try a mac? just take a look at the apple site. lots planned and never any bug problems.

stu

stuman said:
if you have a broad mind, why not try a mac? just take a look at the apple site. lots planned and never any bug problems.

stu

No thanks, I much prefer the machines that I'm accustomed to. They are also very over-priced as far as what I'm getting for the hardware. $1400 and only 512MB of RAM is not what I would call a "bargain."

just a suggestion no need for the bash. and depending on what you see as valuable to you, the software included makes up alot of the money. dont nock it till you try it.

just wanted to give you a guys a heads up about Seagate's plans for a 160GB 7200rpm 2.5" laptop hard drive using perp. technology. it is going to be next summer:

Hello JediFonger,

The 7200 RPM 2.5 inch drive will be out in late Spring or early Summer.
Seagate does not currently have any plans to release a 10,000 RPM drive
like the Raptor.

Brian W.
Disc Presales

==========================================================
Thank you for your interest in Seagate products. If we can be of
further assistance please don't hesitate to ask.

Seagate Presales Support has a web presence. Please see the webpage shown
below:

http://www.seagate.com/support/presales/index.html

When replying to this message, please include the entire message
thread to assist us in responding to your inquiry.
===========================================================
24 Hour Support Systems, 7 Days a Week!
Internet Web Site: http://www.seagate.com
Internet FTP Site: ftp.seagate.com
Customer Support/Service website: http://www.seagate.com/support/service/
* Verify your product warranty
* Create an RMA if your product is in warranty
* Links to other helpful warranty-related information

Presales Support contact information:
1-877-271-3285 (toll free) for presales and compatibility information
8:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Central Standard Time, Monday - Friday
Email: http://www.seagate.com/support/email/email_presales.html

Technical Support contact information:
1-800-732-4283 (toll free) or 405-324-4700 for Disc Technical Support
assistance
8:00 a.m. - 8:00 p.m. Central Standard Time, Monday - Friday
Email: http://www.seagate.com/support/email/email_disc_support.html

========== Customer's original message ==========

Question Type : Availability

========================================================
Hi,
In your perpendicular drive PR, you noted that 160GB 7200 rpm (I presume
7200.2?) 2.5" notebook hard disk utilizing the perp. technology will be
coming in spring. Is that EARLY spring or LATE spring? I want to buy ONLY
Seagate... but I want high rpm and high capacity. This is for HDV editing
on laptop. If it is too late, I'll need to get a 100GB 7200rpm
drive+external USB/FW enclosure.

PS Will you guys ever create a 10,000rpm SATA competitor to WD's raptor on
desktop 3.5"?

stuman said:
just a suggestion no need for the bash. and depending on what you see as valuable to you, the software included makes up alot of the money. dont nock it till you try it.

Wasn't bashing (or at least I wasn't trying to). It does come with some spiffy stuff but honestly, they could add a bigger hard drive and more memory for around $1400 or at least make the upgrade options more reasonbly priced ($500 for 2gigs of RAM?!).

Back