The New PS3

Q1DM6

Gawd
6YxTt.jpg

It's a flip top. Expect $199

I wonder if the top will flip, or if part of it will slide left/right in those channels to open the disc drive.

Slide left / right or flip, it's still shitty design. Means it'll be difficult to place in a lot of cabinets because you'll need substantial clearance between it and the shelf above.

I'm hoping it'll hit a magical $129.99-149.99 price point. I'd for sure pick one up at that price to play through all of the PS3 exclusives I missed. Especially if the HDD upgrade is a simple affair like the older models.

As for the looks, I dunno. It's side profile looks a little saucer-ish, but it's not like I'd see much of it. I'd probably prefer a smooth matte black finish versus the current ridges look, but it's not a deal breaker. As for the lack of a slot or tray drive, it doesn't bother me. This console would sit on top of my desk anyway so there's lots of clearance.

Hopefully some new details will come out soon (also to confirm if it's even legit). Hoping that most of the hardware functionality is included (wifi, hdd upgrades) and not stripped out like they did for the PS2 slim.

I wonder about the HDD upgrading as well. According to Eurogamer's article, there will be a 16 GB model as well. That particular model would be nice if you can add your own HDD and have the OS only occupy the 16 GB space (hopefully eliminating the need to reserve a percent of the HDD for the OS).

I have a real funny feeling that if this is legit this SKU will have a fixed non upgradable drive. That this will be an entry level unit and they will still sell the current unit as well. Just my 2 cents.

I have a real funny feeling that if this is legit this SKU will have a fixed non upgradable drive. That this will be an entry level unit and they will still sell the current unit as well. Just my 2 cents.

I'm hoping not. The fact they're detailing a 16GB, a 250GB, and a 500GB console gives me hope that they're upgradeable.

I hope this PS3 "Slim" will be reliable and inexpensive - just like the PS2 Slim.

I'll buy the 16GB model if it's cheap like $99 cheap.

I'll use it to play Rocksmith (I use it as my amp/effects box), watch Netflix, and buy Sega Classics and TurboGrafx 16 games from PSN (better than roms).

I've got a 3.55 Fatty that does everything else for media, linux, and homebrew, etc. but it can't go online to PSN and Netflix.

At $99, it would be a better buy than a regular blurry player!

Looks very cheap and ugly. I love my launch PS3. Excellent build quality, and full ps1 and ps2 compatibility ftw.

I don't think the top flips. I don't see a break in the top panel. Plus it's not very "PS3 ish". I think it is a push button eject with a pop-out tray, like what laptops have. If you look at the picture you will see an eject button on the front. I don't imagine a side eject button for a top open unit. Pop-outs will be much cheaper as well as still have the front load availability.

No. because the very point of this unit is to bring manufacturing costs down as they work toward the PS4. The old units are going bye-bye. That's simply how this kind of thing works.

Looks very cheap and ugly. I love my launch PS3. Excellent build quality, and full ps1 and ps2 compatibility ftw.

Same; it's built like a damn tank. First Sony gaming product I'm not afraid to breathe on.

Oh you haven't heard? This model PS3 is hamster powered. There's a little wheel that attaches to the back (hamster not included).

I lol'd. hahahha

this thing looks gimp. although lowered prices are welcome because I am totally going to buy a ps3 soon now that i know it looks pretty damn good stretched on my 16:10 u2412m

I'm on my 3rd launch PS3 (60GB) so it's actually the Sony system I've been most afraid of touching.
None of the PS3 builds are overly stylish, but this one is the strangest looking of the bunch. I definitely wouldn't buy it for aesthetics. I do wonder a little if there's something missing or going away...or if it does bitstreaming like the slims do.

i like my launch ps3s as well, but I'm on my third one. have two in the house and only one works 100%.
1st one - stops playing discs became netflix box for bedroom
buy another one, 3 months later get yellow light of death return for warranty
get third one, still working but it rarely gets used except for netflix.

Same; it's built like a damn tank. First Sony gaming product I'm not afraid to breathe on.

Maybe it's physically built like a tank, but it still uses tin based solder, and is subject to microfractures on the GPU/CPU. This happened to me after almost 6 years of ownership. Got it replaced with a slim.

Looks like crap, hope it runs cooler than the slim.

Just got done modding a cheap Nyko Intercooler with 2x 80mm fans to draw heat out of my 64GB SSD PS3 Slim. xD

^^ why do you have an SSD ona ps3? It doesn't do anything special.

Anyways looks like a $150-$200 range price for the 16Gb. I think they got the right idea. Once PS4 comes out, this unit should keep selling as a a cheap entry into current gen and a sweet BD player. Don't care about the looks I mean my FAt and Slim are both meh, don't matter what they do next. All consoles are ugly to some extent. People want cheaper consoles, expect cheaper builds/parts. Bring it Sony.

Sony was still moving a fair number of those slimline PS2s well into the PS3s lifespan. I was always shocked to see people still buying them a few years ago. At that point - just hit up craigslist and buy someone's bundle for like $20.
I'd suspect this might be a clue that the PS4 isn't that far away, though.

^^ why do you have an SSD ona ps3? It doesn't do anything special.
A couple years ago I would of agreed with you. SSD's have come a long way since then.

PS3 SSD and Hybrid HDD/SSD Performance Upgrade

They compared the unpatched version of Skyrim with an SSD, Hybrid SSD and stock HDD. The SSD and Hybrid performed very well compared to HDD. They were even better after the game was patched. They also looked at RAGE with an SSD.

What they found though is that it really depends on games. Titles like Skyrim and Rage which stream textures into the game, the SSD was a big help to framerate.. Other games it does not help as much with framerate but does improve load and install times.

Last edited:
I usually don't care that much about a console's aesthetics, but this new design doesn't look too appealing. What where they thinking with the side profile view and the ridges? If the price is right, I might eventually buy one, but otherwise I'll pass.

My guess on pricing:

PS3 Slim (2.0) - 16GB Flash: $149 ($199 w/Move)
PS3 Slim (2.0) - 250GB HDD: $199 ($249 w/Move)
PS3 Slim (2.0) - 500GB HDD: $249 ($299 w/Move)

My guess on pricing:

PS3 Slim (2.0) - 16GB Flash: $149 ($199 w/Move)
PS3 Slim (2.0) - 250GB HDD: $199 ($249 w/Move)
PS3 Slim (2.0) - 500GB HDD: $249 ($299 w/Move)

The smallest PS3 drive was 20GB and that was ages ago. Even the cheapest one still availible has 128gb or something (though you can always just drop in your own drive...)

Too bad blu-ray is 60% the cost of the new slim model.

Probably not, you can pick up blu-ray drives OEM for pretty cheap now. Sony, as a manafacturer probably doesn't pay very much for them as opposed to the Cell/gpu.

The new PS3 is going to have a tray loaded blu-ray drive, which is going to help keep the cost down.
The smallest PS3 drive was 20GB and that was ages ago. Even the cheapest one still availible has 128gb or something (though you can always just drop in your own drive...)
I think "dropping in your own" is the point. Hard drive prices have really gone up lately, pulling the drive is a cost cutting move. With no hard drive, a simpler blu-ray drive, and an overall system redesign and component removal/reduction the PS3 I believe can be sold at $149 for profit.

Last edited:
The new PS3 is going to have a tray loaded blu-ray drive, which is going to help keep the cost down.I think "dropping in your own" is the point. Hard drive prices have really gone up lately, pulling the drive is a cost cutting move. With no hard drive, a simpler blu-ray drive, and an overall system redesign and component removal/reduction the PS3 I believe can be sold at $149 for profit.

Hard drives have been coming down in the last 6 months and continue to do so.

If there is one thing Sony knows how to do, it's how to make one ugly product after another.

hello? anyone remember the PS2? It went from fat brick down to super thin as they cost reduced it. I have 2 of them and they are awesome with the flip up top o load the game aka Game Cube style

The new PS3 is going to have a tray loaded blu-ray drive, which is going to help keep the cost down.I think "dropping in your own" is the point. Hard drive prices have really gone up lately, pulling the drive is a cost cutting move. With no hard drive, a simpler blu-ray drive, and an overall system redesign and component removal/reduction the PS3 I believe can be sold at $149 for profit.

if you said $199 I would agree

Back