The New, (now) official, Show off Your Video Card Thread

cornelious0_0 said:
I'll definitely want the Blue....I'm sick of green/red cards. :p
Good Call, I just ordered one from Monarch yesterday (10-13) and they're still in stock... kinda makes be nervous... where's the catch? guess it's just the $670

Apologenetic said:
Good Call, I just ordered one from Monarch yesterday (10-13) and they're still in stock... kinda makes be nervous... where's the catch? guess it's just the $670

Haha, yeah......that's some catch eh? :rolleyes: :p

cornelious0_0 said:
It's too bad you needed the Prommy to hit 500MHz core.....would have been a heck of a lot more impressive on air. ;) Nice stuff though.

There are a few workarounds out there to get past the low temperature thermal throttling, but I have yet to find one that is a 100% surefire fix. Probly why I have YET to see one crazy dual cascade setup on xtremesystems with a 6800 strapped in. :p

I asked a few people who tried. Including Shamino, Rukee etc. But they seem to be all having terrible problems with the Throttling so I didn't bother making a hold down. nVidia should address that porblem cause they are losing to sub zero cooled X800s.

Juice said:
I asked a few people who tried. Including Shamino, Rukee etc. But they seem to be all having terrible problems with the Throttling so I didn't bother making a hold down. nVidia should address that porblem cause they are losing to sub zero cooled X800s.

True, but when you think of what a ridiculously small portion of that market those sub-zero X800's represent I really dont think it's effecting things at all for them. Nvidia that is.

you know, what they should do, is give you an option to turn it off, cuz that would be fine, and then for the people who don't have to worry about it, they just shouldn't turn it off...

Alex41290 said:
you know, what they should do, is give you an option to turn it off, cuz that would be fine, and then for the people who don't have to worry about it, they just shouldn't turn it off...

I agree, it's obviously not a feature that really needed with new cards these days.....or ATI'd be in huge trouble for not having some kind of throttling on the X800's. :rolleyes: :D

cornelious0_0 said:
I agree, it's obviously not a feature that really needed with new cards these days.....or ATI'd be in huge trouble for not having some kind of throttling on the X800's. :rolleyes: :D

i actually think i know why they did that...they priced them so high and figured the people that were buying them would know what they are doing...but alas, not always (no offense to those with x800 series cards...)

Just got a 6800GT to replace my 9700 :D
I ordered from newegg, bought on monday afternoon came friday at 11am (i live in NY)

6800GT1.jpg

6800GT2.jpg

6800GT3.jpg

my old 9700pro
6800GT4.jpg

6800GT5.jpg

6800GT6.jpg

Well here it is people, my 6800GT with my hacked up NVSilencer. I would have been fine, but I have no idea why I cut the duct completely off. :p I'm redo'ing the mod with a new Silencer and basically leaving the duct intact (just cutting a hole for the fan) and using a fan that doesn't push AS much air.....cus this little screamer I've got on here is pushing too much air and fighting with the Silencer's fan. Between teh two fans fighting each other like this and the cut off duct, its barely better then it was with teh Silencer stock.....but the new one will have my temps back down to 45C idle and 59C load......where I was before I decided (for whatever reason) to cut off the duct. :p

Picture 004.jpg

Picture 005.jpg

Picture 006.jpg

cornelious0_0 said:
Well here it is people, my 6800GT with my hacked up NVSilencer. I would have been fine, but I have no idea why I cut the duct completely off. :p I'm redo'ing the mod with a new Silencer and basically leaving the duct intact (just cutting a hole for the fan) and using a fan that doesn't push AS much air.....cus this little screamer I've got on here is pushing too much air and fighting with the Silencer's fan. Between teh two fans fighting each other like this and the cut off duct, its barely better then it was with teh Silencer stock.....but the new one will have my temps back down to 45C idle and 59C load......where I was before I decided (for whatever reason) to cut off the duct. :p

Nice work :D Where did you get that little fan, how many cfm? I'm going to do this mod sometime soon (well not remove the entire duct ;) ) but I dont have a fan, and if its too powerful thats good, I can adjust it with my nexus.

cornelious0_0, have you tried making the little fan pull instead of push air? then it wouldn't fight your silencer fan. just a thought

blackrose said:
cornelious0_0, have you tried making the little fan pull instead of push air? then it wouldn't fight your silencer fan. just a thought

Funny you mention that, but I already tried it....and its even worse.....then the fan sucks air through the heatsink, blows it down.....and teh Silencer fan sucks it right back in.....really bad setup. :p

I thought it'd do well at first too.....but even this push fan fighting the Silencer does better then having it pulling. I'm gonna be re-doing the mod with a 19cfm Panaflo H1A 60mm fan and leaving the duct intact to get my temps back to where they were before.

6800GT1.jpg

6800GT2.jpg

Only a few hours old in this pic. My Swiftech GPU WB is hangin in my case for lack of the proper adapter plate. Going to make on myself as well as water block for ram. And yes....thats dual dvi outputs u see.

cornelious0_0 said:

http://1stclasspcs.com/uploaded/Picture 004.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://1stclasspcs.com/uploaded/Picture 005.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://1stclasspcs.com/uploaded/Picture 006.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

Hey man I have a question for you. With what you have done to you card does the Silencer fan still run or is that turned off?

ApaThy_NeXT2, the Silencer fan still runs, but i might try turning it off, just for the hell of it....to see if the two fans are fighting at all. I'll let you know how it does.

justacow, I hate you.....wanna sell me one?

Cornelious,
what fan did you use on the NV Silencer?
And all of you who are posted their 6800s and x800s, you're all lucky -- I'm stuck with my 9800XT :p

Finsta said:
Cornelious,
what fan did you use on the NV Silencer?

Just some 60x25mm Evercool fan that I had left over from an older s462 cooler. The fan itself blows a LOT of air, but I think that might be the problem....gonna try it without the Silencer fan now just to see how it reacts.

So,
you think that the evercool and the NV Silencer fan are conflicting and both trying to suck the same air?

Finsta said:
So,
you think that the evercool and the NV Silencer fan are conflicting and both trying to suck the same air?

No offense dude, but please stop asking so many questions....this is sposed to be a pic posting thread....you can PM me about stuff like that.

Turning off the Silencer fan has brought up the core temp by 1C but I'm gonna try taking the shroud of complete and adding my Fancard back in to see if it helps it out at all. brb with pics. ;)

That's super funny man.....a green MSI card....with a floppy power connector, that's in the middle of the card??? :p

lol, yeah, the placement pisses me off...cuz i can't hide it...eh, well, i'll live, eh? EH??

lol, sorry for the canadian jokes, i'll stop :p

Well, here's the lap job on the NVSilencer.....actually a bit better then the TDX....didnt see the point in doing the entire base though.....

Picture 023.jpg

Alright, now I'm just gong crazy.....NVSilencer heatsink meet Thermaltake SmartFan2. :p

Picture 025.jpg

Picture 026.jpg

Next up I'm going to start making a ghetto shroud to go from the base of the fan to the card PCB.....and all teh way to the back of the case.....taking up TWO pci slots.....my own custom Silencer. The smartfan2 is actually a very nice fan for this little project.....at 75cfm it sure isn't very silent.....but holy shit that's a lot of airflow. When I've got my hand on my mouse I can feel the air coming out of the case, and putting your hand next to the card is just fricken funny. Seeing as there's so much air preasure there, I figure that if I can build a shroud that actually fits, I can make use of all that extra airflow that's just getting lost, and push it back over the fan and out of the case. ;)

Man, if this shroud idea works I can easily see myself not needing to buy another Silencer....this just might do the trick. ;)

cornelious0_0 said:
Well, here's the lap job on the NVSilencer.....actually a bit better then the TDX....didnt see the point in doing the entire base though.....

http://1stclasspcs.com/uploaded/Picture 023.jpg[IMG]

Alright, now I'm just gong crazy.....NVSilencer heatsink meet Thermaltake SmartFan2. :p

[IMG]http://1stclasspcs.com/uploaded/Picture 025.jpg[/MG]

[IMG]http://1stclasspcs.com/uploaded/Picture 026.jpg[/MG]

Next up I'm going to start making a ghetto shroud to go from the base of the fan to the card PCB.....and all teh way to the back of the case.....taking up TWO pci slots.....my own custom Silencer. The smartfan2 is actually a very nice fan for this little project.....at 75cfm it sure isn't very silent.....but holy shit that's a lot of airflow. When I've got my hand on my mouse I can feel the air coming out of the case, and putting your hand next to the card is just fricken funny. Seeing as there's so much air preasure there, I figure that if I can build a shroud that actually fits, I can make use of all that extra airflow that's just getting lost, and push it back over the fan and out of the case. ;)

Man, if this shroud idea works I can easily see myself not needing to buy another Silencer....this just might do the trick. ;)[/QUOTE]

Heh...I did something similar to do with my TI4200 a while ago. I'll try to go some pics later.

Here are the PICS. Sorry for the bad quality. My webcam sucks. I had to get a tube light near my case to even get anything.
Its no Smartfan though. Its the fan from the AMD stock heatsink.

[IMG]http://www.iupload.net/102004/Picture 007.jpg

Picture 008.jpg

Picture 012.jpg

Picture 013.jpg

Picture 016.jpg

What's funny is that the SmartFan2 as 75cfm only dropped the temps by 3C on idle/load compared to that little 60mm fan doing 20-30cfm. :p

I got a free TNT2 today!

nothing big, but its free ( put it in my linux box )

This is from another post I had @ hardnsoft.net of when I added my NVSIlencer5 to my BFG 6800GT OC

bfg3.jpg

Wow, im really surprized at the CRAP BFG uses to put their cards together, there were some white "spots" of sillicon, look for your self:

what your card might looks like too (if it was me I'd reapply thermal paster regardless of keeping stock HSF or not)

goo.jpg

stock cooler + goo

stockgoo.jpg

BFG 6800GT core:

corecloseup.jpg

here are the stock cooler vs the NV5 side by side:

comparationcoolers.jpg

and here is everything to give you an idea of size:

comparationgeneral.jpg

finally, how the beast looks: (watch out for clearance, I had to move on of my HD's lower cause the cooler woun't fit, its massive)

victory.jpg

hope that gives you guys a good idea how this thing works :)

--NEO

Flame me if you must but, why do you guys pay extra $$$ for cards that uses non reference coolers and then spend another $25-35 on NV silencers to replace the stock??? :confused: Thats why i bought a cheap evga GT and then replace the stock fan with a silencer

Back