The New MB / MBP Docking Options with Displayport

I'm really interested in pulling the trigger on the new MBP 13". I have a HP ZR27W, which I love. But it only accepts DVI and Displayport.

I would like to buy a "dock" or a "hub" that will allow me to plug a single USB-C cord into the laptop to handle everything (charging, display, USB peripherals, sound).

The only affordable option I've found is the "Archub", which seems like a scam, because there are people on facebook who have said they ordered back in October and have still not received the product.

All the other options are ludicrously expensive ($200+) like the Belkin dock that Apple sells on their website for $299. Not only that, but it's massive and looks awful. At that point I would just pony up the cash and buy a new USB-C monitor to act as the hub. They are available for not much more than the Belkin, I think I saw an HP QHD for $329.

Any suggestions on how to proceed?

Your instinct might be correct. Monitor might be the best way to go, that is if your biggest concern is bang for your buck. Any reputable dock is going to be $200-$300.

If you want an 'ultra nice' monitor and nice dock, it's just going to cost a lot more.

Last edited:
I suggest plugging in two cables: one for power/USB, one for display using a USB C -> DisplayPort cable. Much cheaper and just as good as one cable.

There are many USB-C devices that will do this. Don't over think it. The one you linked looks fine. If you're worried about it then buy the USB-C Digital AV adapter that apple makes and plug a USB hub into it.

The Belkin device is a thunderbolt 3 dock. It provides capabilities that you don't seem to need. Has nothing to do with "Apple's world."

Thanks everyone. I've decided to hold off on making a move for now. We have a early 2009 Macbook upgraded to 4GB RAM and 256GB SSD that is running surprisingly well given it's age. I think I'm going to wait for TB3 to mature a little bit more before making a move.

Back