The 'new' G92 GTS is probably going to beat the 'new' GT.

Interesting - but even if it is better it wont have an MSRP of 250 or less :( And someone in marketing needs to be fired for these retarded naming schemes.

I feel like were all in the Twilight zone about this name scheme for these new cards/

I mean WTF were they smoking in agreeing to name them 8800GT and especially 8800GTS, hello McFly there already is an 8800GTS in case you forgot, actually two of them a 640 and 320 version, now this brand new generation refresh gets that same name again why :rolleyes:

It is the fukking 8900GT and 8900GTS you tools at nVidia marketing

oh yeah who cares about these anyways, the real questions is where the heck is your 8800Ultra killer already, let's see a G92 Ultra version, we need eXtreme cards now to play Crysis and UT-3 @ 2560x1600 Gamer rez

So should I cancel my step up from GeForce 8800GTS 640MB to Geforce 8800GT 512MB and wait a little more?
only you can answer that. plans can change and if this G92 based 8800gts pans out it could be several weeks till we know actual specs. also the 8800gt still might end up being the better performance/price deal. the only thing wrong with the 8800gt is that it runs a little hot. other than that it cant be beat for the price. the 8800gt appears to be one of the best deals ever and its available right now. ;)

How much do you think the card is gonna cost like the new gts ? I have nothing in my computer right now since i sold my 8800gts 640 for 280 too get the 8800gt. But im gonna be really busy for the next 2 months so i guess i can wait awhile and save some money up.

Ugh!

http://www.nvidia.com/object/geforce_family.html

"HD DVD / Blu-ray Video Playback on NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS 512MB and 8800 GT is classified as Excellent."

I guess they can be that stupid. They have sown so much confusion, I am glad I was planning on waiting till the dust settled in the new year to upgrade anyway.

I can't believe some idiot in the company thinks it is a good idea to name 5 different cards 8800GTS, using completely different generations of tech, and internal architectures/shader counts etc.

Ugh!

"HD DVD / Blu-ray Video Playback on NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS 512MB and 8800 GT is classified as Excellent."

I guess they can be that stupid. They have sown so much confusion, I am glad I was planning on waiting till the dust settled in the new year to upgrade anyway.

I can't believe some idiot in the company thinks it is a good idea to name 5 different cards 8800GTS, using completely different generations of tech, and internal architectures/shader counts etc.

That pretty much confirms there is an 8800GTS 512MB that is on the way.

Congratulations on confusing us all!

exactly and you basically said everything that I have been trying to. :cool:

thanks, i felt i needed to post that since it seemed like others were getting angry with you for no apparent reason.

Ugh!

what you just linked pretty much confirms it. seems the DT article is accurate so far. :eek:

i was so tempted to jump on the 8800GT frenzy two nights ago, now i'm glad i waited. still a good buy, but i want something that'll make Crysis really shine.

Ya that really doesnt make much sense. 5 variants of the same card? Plus OEM variants... oh man I can see the forum posts already, "how does the 8800GTS 640MB SC KO Black Pearl compare to the 8800GTS 512 XXX Too Cool for School model".

If these new cards are true, as reported by DT, rename them to 8900 or something, please.

I think its more likely its a rumor, and the added shader cards are the only interim solution till the D8P, 9xxx, or what ever.

I could be wrong though.

That name was posted on the Nvidia official website so its pretty much official.

Great, just wait for all the OMG MY GTS640 sux compared to GTS 512 but i have more memory!111

Good question.

I wonder if I wonder what this new higher end G92 is gonna cost? I mean I suppose I can use my brand new 8800GT Step-Up for it if it is better.

Thats what I am planning on doing as well... Get an 8800GT now, and hopefully the G92 generation replacement for the Ultra will be released wihin 90 days or so (although that might be too early) for the step up from that.

Day dreaming.... "Two 1GB 9800GTX in SLI ...NAAAAIIIIICEEEEE"

I don't care what they call it 8800gts,8900gts,9800gts,STUPIDgts,etc.... as long as it out performs the 8800gtx and ultra i happy:D

Around mid-November, I'll be looking for something like G92-380. (This week's 8800 GT offering is G92-270.)

They can call it whatever they want for market, but it will be worth waiting (in my mind) until late December to see how this 'newer' GTS (or whatever) will perform against this week's 8800 GT offering.

I think by Jan 1st we'll see a G92-380 with SP128 and 512MB . Now if that is priced under $250, I will be happy.

December: 1024MB variant will be out first, no doubt, but followed shortly by 512MB.

Around mid-November, I'll be looking for something like G92-380. (This week's 8800 GT offering is G92-270.)

They can call it whatever they want for market, but it will be worth waiting (in my mind) until late December to see how this 'newer' GTS (or whatever) will perform against this week's 8800 GT offering.

I think by Jan 1st we'll see a G92-380 with SP128 and 512MB . Now if that is priced under $250, I will be happy.

December: 1024MB variant will be out first, no doubt, but followed shortly by 512MB.

It's supposed to be out the first week or two in December....

Okay, someone needs to back up here for a second.

How the hell are they going to do 512mb of memory or 1024 on a 320bit bus.

To get 320bit, you do 64x5, on the 8800GTS 320 or 640 it comes with 10 memory chips, on the 320 its 10 32MB chips, on the 640 its 10 64MB chips. Two chips per 64bit channel = 320.
On the GTX you get 12 chips, 6x64 = 384.

Now to get 512mb of memory on a card you will need 8 64MB chips, for 1gb you need 16 of them, or 128mb chips (don't know if those exist for video cards yet offhand). you got 8 chips, but 5 64 bit channels, unless you somehow made it work 3 64 bit channels have two chips, 5 don't, or if you got 16 chips, you get three chips per 64bit channel and 4 on the last one, or better yet, find some cracked out 51.2MB/102.4MB chips (yeah right...).

I don't have any backround knowledge when it comes to assembling graphics cards or designing their pcbs, but from how I understand it, you cant mix and match memory chips and buses like that, thats why nvidia deviated from 256 -> 512 and did what they did.

Now the bit tech article addresses this simply by saying G92 is a 256bit core and doesn't go higher. But from what I was reading on the first 4 pages, other people weren't so bright.

That could be the truth, but 128 pipe + 256bit G92 seems to be a waste (Unless its followed by a bigger GTX), and 112 + 320 bit doesn't put enough degrees of separation between the GT, GTS and GTX.

Something is happening to the GTS, but I don't think its as simple as a 112pipe G80 or a 112/128 pipe G92, whatever it is, my money is on the GTS stays 320 bit (too much invested into the PCBs) and would require a different one in order to accommodate a 256 bit setup (without major rewiring).

Details on both ati and nvidia have been sketchy from the get go, nvidia was actually very loose with information on the 8800GT, much more so than in generations past. ATi however is pretty much stonewalled on their info (the correct info)

I say 60% chance, 128sp G80, 30% 128sp G92 (there is no way in hell that G92 only comes with 112 physically), 5% chance of the first one followed by the second one later (to get rid of stock), and 5% G80 goes EOL or clearance while the first one occurs (hit ati twice, and clear out old stock)

Theirs no way in hell their can be any dual G80 card (heat output). That being said, if G80-92 does have 160 pipes built in (as I do believe), that would get an 8800 ultra with 160 sps close to 500Gflops (absolute max), two of them in SLi (which isn't 100% gain) would be 1TF (paper) but would be no where near it in reality. The year isn't over, but I think people should just drop the whole idea of a teraflop card in this year, in this generation with these two pieces of silicon, everyone keeps attempting to rationalize a g80/92 teraflop card, when in reality, you need a whole new chip all together, and their is NO word on that chip what soever.

Done some googling and theorising and stuff, pretty much for sure the new GTS is 512mb 256bit but with 128 and not 112 units.

I believe there will be a GTX -II ultra combo hamburger wow zinger edition, 1gb ram dual 256bit and dual slot cooler, G92 processor (theory and speculation disclaimer!)

Either way 512mb GTS sounds interesting but could be pricy conisidering the 8800GT's value.

From what I am seeing for the cash, two GTs in SLi will be hard to beat if you play 1920x, @ a higher res they might run out of steam with filtering active. Run them 650-710|950-1000 with a 1600-1700 shader clock.

Something is happening to the GTS, but I don't think its as simple as a 112pipe G80 or a 112/128 pipe G92, whatever it is, my money is on the GTS stays 320 bit (too much invested into the PCBs) and would require a different one in order to accommodate a 256 bit setup (without major rewiring).

No.

All they have to do to stick with a 256bit bus on the G92 with 128SP's,is use GDDR4 at say 2400 or 2800 Mhz with a new/slighty modified PCB pcb.

And use a dual slot cooler,raise vcore (with more vregs) a bit and clock up the chip.There we will have a new 'G92' GTS in December.

You know Nvidia would have some of the best card names if they would just call them Nvidia G92, G80, G78, etc...

Whens the card suppose to come out ? Im trying to buy the 8800gt right now ( i have nothing im my computer right now im ata friends house ! ) So should i wait on buying the 8800gt or wait for the gts

Whens the card suppose to come out ? Im trying to buy the 8800gt right now ( i have nothing im my computer right now im ata friends house ! ) So should i wait on buying the 8800gt or wait for the gts

if i were you, i would try and get a eVGA 8800GT (take your pick, they have 4 of them) and when the new GTS comes out, use eVGA's Step-up program. so at least till then you'll have a card.

Ugh!

I'm not sure if nvidia edited their page but I'm looking at the page again and it says:

"HD DVD / Blu-ray Video Playback on NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT is classified as Excellent. HD DVD / Blu-ray Video Playback on NVIDIA GeForce 8800 Ultra, GeForce 8800 GTX and GeForce 8800 GTS 320MB/640MB are classified as Good."

I don't care what they call it 8800gts,8900gts,9800gts,STUPIDgts,etc.... as long as it out performs the 8800gtx and ultra i happy:D

Yeah, and hopefully not with the standard menial 20 to 40% gains over previous generations.

Well if you got an Evga you could StepUp to whatever happens to pop up that's better in the next 3 months.

Basically my take is like this.

nVidia wants to maintain the same name scheme as stated by many others.

GTX>GTS>GT

However, due to this technology change in the GT, the GTS seems really quite useless.
So the new :eek:ld: 112sp GTS should follow the route of the rare 7900GTO.

Unfortunately it is still priced at around $350, and the gains do not seem that substantial over a g-92 8800GT. My guess is that once the new g92 GTS comes out the price will DROP hugely on the 112sp GTS making it a decent buy, and allowing those who play at higher resolutions to reap the benefits of more RAM.

Once this 7900GTO style correction takes place, nVidia will then have the status quo back to normal with

GTX>GTS>GT.

fellows wrote . . .

... at around $350, and the gains do not seem that substantial over a g-92 8800GT. My guess is that once the new g92 GTS comes out the price will DROP hugely on the 112sp GTS making it a decent buy,

I completely agree with the quoted remark just above, by fellows. I was so happy to see the 8800 GT arrive, but I think for sure even by the week before Christmas the 112sp version will be priced around $250.

At least I hope I am correct, because I am waiting...

"the new GeForce 8800 GTS will likely surpass NVIDIA's high-end GeForce 8800 GTX and potentially GeForce 8800 Ultra"

Why do people still treat the Ultra like its a different card? It's just a cherry picked pre-overclocked GTX. If the new GTS is faster then the GTX, it's going to be faster then the Ultra. I wonder if they will overclock the GTS and GT and resell then with an "Ultra" tag too, that would be sweet!

Why do people still treat the Ultra like its a different card? It's just a cherry picked pre-overclocked GTX.

From what I read, that's not 100% true. The 8800 Ultra GPU is apparently a slighty different revision. Furthermore, if the Ultra was merely an overclocked GTX core then that would mean you couldn't overclock an Ultra. That's not the case, you CAN overclock an Ultra.

Furthermore, if the Ultra was merely an overclocked GTX core then that would mean you couldn't overclock an Ultra. That's not the case, you CAN overclock an Ultra.
Surely that would only be the case if the ultra was a GTX overclocked to the max.? If an ultra was a gtx slightly overclocked then this theory would appear plausable as that would mean the ultra would still have more scope to be overclocked,no?

Surely that would only be the case if the ultra was a GTX overclocked to the max.? If an ultra was a gtx slightly overclocked then this theory would appear plausable as that would mean the ultra would still have more scope to be overclocked,no?

I believe that most Ultras can overclock beyond most GTXs. We're getting off topic though. Stay on topic !!

The 8800 Ultra was the revision A3 of the G80 core so it can clock by far farther than the 8800GTX (think 700core, 1700+ shader, etc.) and its memory is different as well (it has a higher base frequency than most GTX's can ever reach, and people have reached 2300/2400 with it) so overall it is a faster card than any GTX can hope to be period.

But yes, back on topic now

I'm not sure if nvidia edited their page but I'm looking at the page again and it says:

"HD DVD / Blu-ray Video Playback on NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT is classified as Excellent. HD DVD / Blu-ray Video Playback on NVIDIA GeForce 8800 Ultra, GeForce 8800 GTX and GeForce 8800 GTS 320MB/640MB are classified as Good."
Yep, they changes it within a few hours.

The original pre edit.

Back