The New EVE: Apocrypha

SAW

[H]ard|Gawd
SWEET!!!!

Everything, though already extremely detailed, seemed more crisp. Graphics are very stunning and warping......was already cool to see, now even cooler (I think anyways).

Skill queue's. Why they didnt do this already, I dunno. But now, instead of training one skill then remembering to do another, you can queue up several skills and when one finishes, the next one begins, up to 24hrs worth. A really cool system for upgrading IMO.

Ive got 5 days left on my Trial of the game, heh, I might as well just get the subscription, this game is just too cool to stop at 14 days. Last night, I actually got some decent time to play....I ended up spending about 3 hours docked just looking thru the different menus, market, and skills training before leaving dock. I never spent that kind of time at a "dock" type of place in "other" MMO's.

Saw they introduced some wormholes to the game that lead to other galaxy systems. I havent got that far myself, but it looks really really cool.......

Yeah, the scope of the game is amazing and incredibly detailed. Dunno why I always slept on this game, wish I would have spent my time playing Eve instead of WoW. Reading about the whole BoB/Kenzoku vs GoonSwarm thing is what really made me want to start playing..

It's an MMO for grownups really, with real consequences for your actions and no hand holding, which is something that I've been wanting since I stopped playing EQ after the Kunark expansion came out.

Lovin it :)

EDIT: One other thing, the forums on the other hand are just as bad as WoWs...full of whining, bitching, and moaning..just makes me want to slap those people with a dead fish...but other than that, the game's great!

Yeah, the scope of the game is amazing and incredibly detailed. Dunno why I always slept on this game, wish I would have spent my time playing Eve instead of WoW. Reading about the whole BoB/Kenzoku vs GoonSwarm thing is what really made me want to start playing..

It's an MMO for grownups really, with real consequences for your actions and no hand holding, which is something that I've been wanting since I stopped playing EQ after the Kunark expansion came out.

EDIT: One other thing, the forums on the other hand are just as bad as WoWs...full of whining, bitching, and moaning..just makes me want to slap those people with a dead fish...but other than that, the game's great!

+1 on everything. This is exactly what I've been looking for since EQ.

The new patch is cool, and I like a lot of things :). They made graphics a little prettier, and I've actually noticed an INCREASE in my FPS, even when running 2 clients. So thats awesome.

The new scanning and probing for finding ships is HARD, but AWESOME. It actually takes real skill (player skill) coupled with a good set of skills (in-game skills) to do it properly.

I like the purty new effects too.

Tip : If you like a MMO, don't spend more than a few minutes on the forums. :p Ever. :)

I'm totally into this too, I just started playing about 2 weeks ago, and I subbed today. Now, I just need to learn more and I need a player corp.

I am a new player sitting at a little over a million sp and I am loving the game. I don't seem to have too much time to actually sit down and play it and that used to make me crazy when I was playing WoW but with EVE I don't mind at all. The thing i'm having the hardest time with is finding a corp... I am new though and have very little experience so i'm not too worried about it. All in due time is what I tell myself :)

Tip : If you like a MMO, don't spend more than a few minutes on the forums. :p Ever. :)

Lol! QFT on that..but sometimes you have to sift through all the crap in order to learn a thing or two...but it is a lot of crap to dig through to get that kernel of golden corn. ;)

it came out today?
damnit, i so want to get into this.....
been "studying" EVE for about 2 months now. still not sure its time to jump in, its so involving..... im afriad its going to suck me in WAY too much.... (i want to KEEP my girlfriend :))

I was going to try Eve until I saw a screenshot that looked like a window from when you open up properties from some program or application (or hardware) in Windows.

That's just too indepth for me. Didn't help that I had no clue what I was looking at besides "armaments." lol.

Now that's scope for you.

it came out today?
damnit, i so want to get into this.....
been "studying" EVE for about 2 months now. still not sure its time to jump in, its so involving..... im afriad its going to suck me in WAY too much.... (i want to KEEP my girlfriend :))

Honestly, if your corp is halfway decent then they understand that RL comes first. You get get as deep into Eve as you want.

Oh, and you can can the GF - the only difference is that Eve is now your second GF and she loves to play. :eek::D

So, I'm currently on a trial...I really really want to get into this game...but it just seems impossible for me. I just can't get used to it\into it, it all seems so slowly paced etc.

Anyone got some good recommendations for a newb race\class stuff? =\

..but it just seems impossible for me. I just can't get used to it\into it, it all seems so slowly paced etc.

Believe me when I say...I know how you feel. Its not a simple walk in the park MMO, thats for damn sure. However......EVE doesnt just toss you into space and say, here ya go. For every single thing to do in the game, it has INGAME tutorials which walk you thru the basics. Agent tutorials, flying tuts, skill tuts, everything tuts. You want to upgrade a ship, its got a tut for it. You want to use the market, another tut....etc etc and so on. Also, if your not capable of doing a certain thing, such as....Lets say you want to add some lasers to your ship. You go into the market, find the lasers and try to "FIT" them but cant....the game tells you why. And from what it tells you, you can then go about doing what is required in order to get those lasers "FITTED".

Yeah, I will agree, it is slow paced at first, esp. your first day. But IMHO, I wouldnt want it to be fast paced. Take it nice and slow....instead of diving into the game, you just kinda put your feet in first, then your knees, legs, body etc. IMO, its done perfectly the way it is "slow paced". Im very certain that after a bit, it will become 2nd nature.

I have 4 days left of my Trial....out of the 10 used so far, I probably only logged in maybe half that and only a few hours each time, but already, I have skilled up many skills and learned my way thru most of how the game menus work. Once it "clicks" in your head....you see how all the rest of it works too cause its all similar.

Also, on the main web site, they have a section that goes over ALL the basics too. Last night, I wanted to fit my ship with both, a laser and the starter guns my frigate came with...but it wouldnt work....told me I didnt have the CPU room and something somethign else (atm, cant recall exact wording). So...I did a tut....looked on the web page and within 5 min, figured out what I needed to do to make it so I can use both weapons.

As well, I went to do a mission for an Agent....one of the things he wanted me to do was retrieve some ore...but my Rookie Frigate didnt have a large enough cargo hold to accumulate that much ore....So, what did I do? I learned a skill which allowed me to buy/and fit a module that gave my ship a larger cargo hold. The skill took something like 55 min to learn and during that time, I was just looking thru the different windows and doing other tuts. Next thing I know, my skill was learned and I was able to fit that module and then, was able to go back to that agent and complete the mission.

Its [H]ard, but its easy too.

Yeah, the ingame tutorials are the best I've ever seen in a game and the most abundant. I had to close out of the rookie chat channel because of all the stupid questions that were easily answered by the tutorials..even saw a "how do I move my ship" question...

The slow pace is definitely done right...this isn't a race to level 70 so you can play "end game content" that really isn't end game content. It's a lot like EQ where you get to savor every part of the game from the time you start to the time you're in 0.0 space all while learning about different aspects of the game; you always feel like you're working towards something (even when not online)...not just grinding out level after level.

Anyone got some good recommendations for a newb race\class stuff? =\

Well, I started before the expansion came out, so what I did might not apply anymore...But I went with a Caldari Achura Soldier, which gave me a good amount of intelligence and perception with decent memory and willpower (only 3 charisma though lol).

Going that route also gave me good starting combat skills too: two level 5 gunnery skills, two level 4 missile/rocket skills, level 3 frigate and level 4 spaceship command so I could start blowing shit up right from the get-go while concentrating on my learning skills.

One other thing, DON'T BUY A FRIGATE!!! You'll get the best non-special frigate available (both mining and combat) once you finish your first set of missions after the tutorial missions. Save your money for skill books at this point...you'll get all the weapons and upgrades you'll need for doing level 1 agent missions while doing those missions.

I was going to try Eve until I saw a screenshot that looked like a window from when you open up properties from some program or application (or hardware) in Windows.

That's just too indepth for me. Didn't help that I had no clue what I was looking at besides "armaments." lol.

Now that's scope for you.

It's an intelligence filter. :p Seriously, no offense but that's what makes the game so good. Most MMORPG kiddies just can't cut it and don't fag up the game. :D I'm not saying that's you of course.

It all sounds well and good, but I'm about month 6 into the game and it's just not fun anymore. The only time I play is when my friends want to go mission running or go after pirates in lowsec space. The only other time I play is when I login to switch my skill training. Last time my skill training finished, I didn't even care enough to log in and change it. Besides, my sub is set to expire in a day or two and I don't intend on renewing it.

Don't get me wrong, the game is everything that people say it is. I just have been having much more fun with other games. Maybe it's the people I'm playing with though, perhaps I don't know what I'm missing, though from everything I've done so far I really haven't enjoyed the game as much as some other ones available to me.

I want to enjoy it more, but everything so far that I have seen and participated in has left me... underwhelmed - I guess it's not for everyone.

I love the game, pre and post Apocrypha. The one thing that kinda bugged me from pre-Apocrypha was the warp sound. It sounded like wind through an open car window. It's so much better with less sound.

One other thing, DON'T BUY A FRIGATE!!! You'll get the best non-special frigate available (both mining and combat) once you finish your first set of missions after the tutorial missions. Save your money for skill books at this point...you'll get all the weapons and upgrades you'll need for doing level 1 agent missions while doing those missions.

I agree with this. Being noobish as I am, going through the first mission sets out of STI net me a Heron and a Bantam. The first ship I have to legitimately buy is a Industrial ship because a mission I am doing requires at least 500 cargo space. No Frigate has that.

It all sounds well and good, but I'm about month 6 into the game and it's just not fun anymore.

But you gave it 6 months. That's longer than most people give any other game.

Also the game can be very fast-paced, but it's fast-paced more like an RTS then a FPS (though that's not a good analogy either). Here's a youtube video, don't let the FC's mild tone fool you, the people getting owned are very frantic right now. :p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ky5doen1zHk

But you gave it 6 months. That's longer than most people give any other game.

Not exactly a great use of my time if I didn't enjoy it. That's the problem, I wanted to enjoy it, but what I've been doing hasn't been providing it. I can't help but think that I'm missing something that would turn it around considering the abundance of other people that seem to be having a blast.

It all sounds well and good, but I'm about month 6 into the game and it's just not fun anymore. The only time I play is when my friends want to go mission running or go after pirates in lowsec space. The only other time I play is when I login to switch my skill training. Last time my skill training finished, I didn't even care enough to log in and change it. Besides, my sub is set to expire in a day or two and I don't intend on renewing it.

Don't get me wrong, the game is everything that people say it is. I just have been having much more fun with other games. Maybe it's the people I'm playing with though, perhaps I don't know what I'm missing, though from everything I've done so far I really haven't enjoyed the game as much as some other ones available to me.

I want to enjoy it more, but everything so far that I have seen and participated in has left me... underwhelmed - I guess it's not for everyone.

Well it is an MMORPG meaning the whole point is to play with others. If those you play with are boring, the game will be boring. Try an alliance or switching corps.

I want to play this game. part of me wants to build a cockpit and lose myself in this game, i just don't have the time right now! but i will

I want to play this game. part of me wants to build a cockpit and lose myself in this game, i just don't have the time right now! but i will

I know this sounds weird, but if you know you are going to try it and enjoy it get a character started. You can queue up 24 hours worth of skills at a time though several take a couple days to finish. You can be advancing while not even logged in, that is the best part of this game by far! I once had a friend that wanted to play badly but he couldn't because he didn't want a distraction from school. So he subscribed, and did nothing but train, didn't actually play a single day. A couple months later he had a decently good character and basically skipped past the whole curve at the beginning (we of course donated money for skills/ships). Years later he is the best solo pilot I've seen play the game. :D You may not be that sure of course, but it really is pretty cheap to "find out." You can never make up for lost time.

Well it is an MMORPG meaning the whole point is to play with others. If those you play with are boring, the game will be boring. Try an alliance or switching corps.

Most of my time spent in game *is* spent playing with others. I am in an alliance, but perhaps I'm not in the corp I should be. Even so I've done activities with the corp and the alliance and do not seem to find the enjoyment that others feel is there.

Moreover, the bread and butter of what seems to appeal to people the most in this game (the pvp aspects) doesn't seem to have the same application to me. I feel restricted as to how I can conduct it and feel cornered into specific fittings and loadouts to be any good at it. With the vast array of options available for fittings and such, I would expect to be able to do well with a wide variety of combos. However all the pvp I have partaken in has been strictly suited to a very select array of modules and fittings and any deviance from it only gimps yourself. Maybe the people I have been learning from have been teaching me the wrong things. Anyway, I don't like being cornered into a select fitting every time I want to go out and pvp. At that point it seems that 90% of the customization and self-identifying factors of the game are useless, in which case if I want space combat, I'd rather play freelancer.

Most of my time spent in game *is* spent playing with others. I am in an alliance, but perhaps I'm not in the corp I should be. Even so I've done activities with the corp and the alliance and do not seem to find the enjoyment that others feel is there.

Moreover, the bread and butter of what seems to appeal to people the most in this game (the pvp aspects) doesn't seem to have the same application to me. I feel restricted as to how I can conduct it and feel cornered into specific fittings and loadouts to be any good at it. With the vast array of options available for fittings and such, I would expect to be able to do well with a wide variety of combos. However all the pvp I have partaken in has been strictly suited to a very select array of modules and fittings and any deviance from it only gimps yourself. Maybe the people I have been learning from have been teaching me the wrong things. Anyway, I don't like being cornered into a select fitting every time I want to go out and pvp. At that point it seems that 90% of the customization and self-identifying factors of the game are useless, in which case if I want space combat, I'd rather play freelancer.

Yeah that doesn't sound fun at all, but it's also nothing like how I play EVE. Part of the fun I have is comedy fits or trying something new, and I prefer disposable cruisers to expensive ships anyday, even though I can fly them all. Do they tell you how you have to fit your ships? I know people that have stayed in the same alliance but just switched corps, it's certainly an option.

Not exactly a great use of my time if I didn't enjoy it. That's the problem, I wanted to enjoy it, but what I've been doing hasn't been providing it. I can't help but think that I'm missing something that would turn it around considering the abundance of other people that seem to be having a blast.

Are you the member of a corp (or alliance) that has Sovereignty in 0.0 space? Do you go out on PVP roaming gangs in 0.0 with a group of people?

Thats the 'End Game' in my opinion. High sec is like the intro to the game. Get your feet wet, learn the interface, and learn how to play. Then you move out to 0.0, and it is a COMPLETELY different game. I know that kind of thing is said a lot, but in this case, it really rings true. 0.0 gaming is totally completely different than 0.1->1.0 security.

Its hugely thrilling to me to fly my little interceptor around jamming an enemy's warp drive and holding him still while my friends fly in and blow him to smithereens. Warp scramblers, stasis webs, EWAR, Interdictors, Capital ships -- NONE Of this is seen or really useful in high sec.

Pirating in low sec is one thing, but null sec (0.0) is totally different.

Aaaauuurrgghhh..... The hamsters just kicked the bucket.

To all you guys who just started playing: Don't feel disgruntled about the server issues recently. They were rock solid for months until they loaded Apocrypha. Eventually the devs will fix it again. In the meantime, just roll with it, and keep that skill queue full just in case.

Its up now.

*Edit, this mutha is going crazy. Seeing a message that officials closed all the stargates and undocking ramps.

FrozenLiquidity...Have you tried Bounty Hunting? I bet that would be a challenge. Get a cloaked ship and sneak up (or try to sneak up) on your bounty and kill 'em.

As mentioned already...the fact that this game is NOT a race to level 70 really appeals to me. No levels at all. In fact, if you want to engage someone in combat, you had better scan them first. They might have a smaller ship than yours, but it could still kick your ass, heh.

I've always wanted to try EVE, but I figured I'd at it alone, due to my friends being huge WoW addicts. Oh...I played too, but I never locked onto the game due to my one core frustration. Not being able to beat people with their own weapons.

You know...that person who has to flaunt to the world the new item he got. Going around and one-shotting newbs, and laughing about how much DPS he churns...

Last guy to do that to me in Shadowbane ended up in the dirt and I walked away with the new big shiny.

Now...I'm no online badass. I used to think I was years ago, but now I'm too old to give a damn. I just like a good fight and to the winner go the spoils. I like the idea that in this game, huge infrastructures are player built, player earned, and player maintained. With this, goes the understanding that it ALL can be taken away, and you're back to your station with your IBIS.

To me that adds a level of respect for the game, and the people that play it. Not enough people are on the receiving end of a respect beatdown.

I've already lost my best ship. - a Merlin. (haha...I know I know...its JUST a Merlin :) ) But I worked hard to research the weapons, and add-ons, and getting the ammo loaded to survive the Military Tutorial. Apparently there are blast radii that you have to be conscious of! Station blew up..and so did I! haha.

While I was unaware of the "Free" ships you get for doing tutorials, I had spent what I considered a ton of money on my new hotness!

After watching a few combat videos, learning how to actively target more than 1 ship, and learning how to assign weapon systems, I'm excited for when I'm ready to PVP.

The GF however...she's already decked out for mining, training her industry, and plans on building/owning her own spacestation. We know its a ways off...but its good to have goals :)

So far so good. Once we get done completing all the Tutorials (as said before, these are great for learning, cash, and items/ships) we'll be looking to go outside the safe area to see what's in store.

Knowing how tough it is to get over the initial hump in EVE, evemail me in game if you are still in a frigate and I will give you enough to bump to a cruiser (after I verify your time in game). I'm not rich compared to others but a little isk can go a long way when you are just starting out. Someone did it for me, and everyone that has played for a long time should have plenty of isk to deal out to the newbs to help them get rolling.

I'm currently working on the skills to fly a cruiser. Apparently I have to have Caladari Frigate 4, before I can inject Caladari Cruiser.

Once my trial account expires and I decide to pay for a full subscription, I'll look to your offer! Until then, I'm not one for wasting others resources :)

I believe that learning the game the long way makes you appreciate your accomplishments and earned gear/ships vs putting no effort into the free and easy big stuff.

That's my issue with WoW now - I was told last night that levelling from 1 to 70 can be done in about 3 days - ick, no wonder people arent any good with thier new class. *shrug*

If it takes me weeks or months to earn my battleship - you know darn well I'll be protecting it with all I have! :)

Heh trust me a cruiser is NOTHING and it's lost very easily. When are you out in 0.0 all it takes to buy a cruiser is killing two rats. :)

That's the one thing I've noticed about EVE, players are a lot more generous and willing to help in this game, especially to noobs. It, again, reminds me of EQ, where the playerbase wasn't a bunch of selfish 'tards hanging onto every piece of gold (or plat) they can get.

I had no problem giving stuff away in WoW, can't tell you how many mounts I bought for people, but I don't think anyone in my 2 years playing gave me something out of nowhere without expecting anything in return...even guildies.

That's the one thing I've noticed about EVE, players are a lot more generous and willing to help in this game, especially to noobs. It, again, reminds me of EQ, where the playerbase wasn't a bunch of selfish 'tards hanging onto every piece of gold (or plat) they can get.

I had no problem giving stuff away in WoW, can't tell you how many mounts I bought for people, but I don't think anyone in my 2 years playing gave me something out of nowhere without expecting anything in return...even guildies.

Newbs in Goonswarm regularly get showered with money, they sometimes hit 100mil in their first few days. But they work for it and are tackling hostiles on their first day. I sometimes wonder if EVE wouldn't be a little more popular if CCP gave people more money to start out with. No matter the argument some people just always think bigger is better and don't see the value in a frigate.

I'm a little restricted in my travels, as my map button only displays names - no dots/systems/nothing. I'm certain that its Windows 7, as her setup displays fine. I'm unable to plot a route/map manually to try to scoot out and find some ships to destroy. I figure its not a big deal while I'm on the trial. I've tried the ATI Beta WDDM 1.1 drivers for Windows 7 and the Vista 64 9.2 drivers - both do the same thing. I had the MAP issue in both the old client and new EVE client

If I have to, I'll put Vista 64 back on and reload the 9.2 Cats so I can start getting out and about :)

Newbs in Goonswarm regularly get showered with money, they sometimes hit 100mil in their first few days. But they work for it and are tackling hostiles on their first day. I sometimes wonder if EVE wouldn't be a little more popular if CCP gave people more money to start out with. No matter the argument some people just always think bigger is better and don't see the value in a frigate.

Jeez, I'm just getting to 3mil and I've been playin since Sunday....I'd have bought all my learning skills already if I had 100mil in the bank lol.

Well....I could go spend $100K on illegal isk, GTCs and characters.... ;)

My brother and I are probably going to start the trial tonight. We played back when the original beta was out and we liked it, but were a bit overwhelmed and it was a little too buggy to actually pay for. I am.... morally opposed to paying a montlhy fee for a game,but this game seems to be everything I dreamed of when I was a kid, so I'm going to give it another shot. Realistically speaking, is this a game that can be played 1 or 2 hours (tops) a night and still be enjoyed? I have kids, job, wife, friends... etc.

I like the amount they give you to start. 5000 isk. I completed the first set of tuts and had nearly 200k isk and now, have been spending it on skill books and such. Though I dont thinks its a totally bad idea for people to give hand outs to newbs, after going thru it myself, I would encourage other newbs just not take an isk handouts. It makes ya earn your way thru the tuts. Having the isk given to you freely cuts out part of the learning curve for that newb to see what it is going to take to learn/earn his/her skills.

Its a right of passage I think. Hand a man a bag of gold, and he will most likely spend it as quickly as it was gained. Hand a man a tablet of wisdom and he will learn to obtain his own bag of gold and feel better having done so. :D

My brother and I are probably going to start the trial tonight. We played back when the original beta was out and we liked it, but were a bit overwhelmed and it was a little too buggy to actually pay for. I am.... morally opposed to paying a montlhy fee for a game,but this game seems to be everything I dreamed of when I was a kid, so I'm going to give it another shot. Realistically speaking, is this a game that can be played 1 or 2 hours (tops) a night and still be enjoyed? I have kids, job, wife, friends... etc.

yeap. Sure can Bro....

I have 2 jobs (fixing to be 3), 2 kids, wife and friends. I log in at night usually after the wife has gone to bed, play for a few hours, queue up some skills and log out. Ive yet to have a boring day. 3 days left on my trial and TODAY was payday, so I think Im going to be subscribing later tonight :)

Back