The New EVE: Apocrypha

MrGoat

[H]ard|Gawd
Another point on the mission mission mission loot method is that a Ninja cant scan down your mission site without you in it. They scan to your ship, so untill you start flying one of the big mission ships you wont be seeing many ninjas.

squishy

[H]ard|Gawd
There is no instancing in EVE... There will never be a situation where you will be sent to the same area of space someone else is doing a mission in.

That's because missions are instanced. :D

The fact that 5 people can all be running world's collide in the same system at the same time with the same but separate structures and rats is by definition instancing, regardless of whether or not other people can invade that particular space.

The fact is the game "spawns separate identical dungeons" for each player.

squishy

[H]ard|Gawd
If the mission requires every rat dead and the mission hunter guy does do so, then yeah, you can turn in the mission and get credit for it. As long as the mission parameters are met, doesn't matter who did them AFAIK

Only the person that starts the mission can turn it in, but other players can certainly finish the actual objective.

Atech

2[H]4U
I just did my first COSMOS missions for the Caldari in Airmia.
First one was easy, simply buy some Isogen and deliver it.

Second one was more...hmmmmmm?
I warped to zero at the jumpgate, activated the gate and landed in the mission.
Filled with red boogies...and a bucketload of yellow wrecks...belonging to a Gallente character from 2006.

I was not up to touching those yellow wrecks, something smelled fishy, used my Caracal to clear the room of red boogies, salvaged my wrecks and jump back to complete the mission.

But it seemed like the yellow wrecks where the same mission wrecks that I got for killing the rats....never seen that before...so was I paranoid, was it a glitch...or was it a trap?

Thuleman

Supreme [H]ardness
But it seemed like the yellow wrecks where the same mission wrecks that I got for killing the rats....never seen that before...so was I paranoid, was it a glitch...or was it a trap?
Most COSMOS missions are not "instanced", meaning you do share the same mission area with other players. This can help you since the rat DPS is spread, or it can hurt you if the site is in lowsec and you'll just get popped by the party that's already in there.

Normal PVE missions are instanced in such a way that each player gets their own copy of the mission, they are not instanced in a more traditional MMO (i.e. EQ or WOW) way where one is physically separated from the rest of the server.

The term "instanced" first came up when CCP changed the mechanics on the server around so that indeed every mission spawns a new process on the server and creates a set of objects which only persist while the mission is active. There was an article about it a few years back, can't find it now. Not that it matters much.

Atech

2[H]4U
Most COSMOS missions are not "instanced", meaning you do share the same mission area with other players. This can help you since the rat DPS is spread, or it can hurt you if the site is in lowsec and you'll just get popped by the party that's already in there.

Normal PVE missions are instanced in such a way that each player gets their own copy of the mission, they are not instanced in a more traditional MMO (i.e. EQ or WOW) way where one is physically separated from the rest of the server.

The term "instanced" first came up when CCP changed the mechanics on the server around so that indeed every mission spawns a new process on the server and creates a set of objects which only persist while the mission is active. There was an article about it a few years back, can't find it now. Not that it matters much.

Ah...I see...time to do some more COSMOS, figure those will be faster than L2 to get the isk for my upcomming Drake :D

squishy

[H]ard|Gawd
If missions were instanced I would not be able to scan you down, steal your loot, get you agressed and salvage your ship. :p

Missions are "instanced" by definition, though people will haggle that over the fact that those instances can be invaded.

mashie

Mawd Gawd
Why'd you leave sharks w/ friggin laser beams btw.. I always loved that corp name.
It sort of imploded in the beginning of the summer so now it's mainly a retirement corp where people log in to swap skills most of the time.

RedChief

Weaksauce
Got my 1st MOM kill tonight

http://notr.darkfrontier.com/kb/?a=kill_detail&kll_id=23600

We're red with everyone on that list, kinda nice to be blue for an op for once.

(I'm Von btw) and the Rev is overpowered.

Currently pretty ecstatic ATM, bout damn time. :D

Rev is only overpowered because it doesnt need to reload.

For DPS, a Nag w/ 3 faction Gyros and 2-3 faction BCS along with faction ammo can do 800+ more DPS then a rev.

squishy

[H]ard|Gawd
Rev is only overpowered because it doesnt need to reload.

For DPS, a Nag w/ 3 faction Gyros and 2-3 faction BCS along with faction ammo can do 800+ more DPS then a rev.

yeah, I really should have fit blasters, but I only have a choice while docked unlike a Rev which just switches ammo. If the mom was out of range I would have done pitiful damage.

Still, don't care, it was fun. I'm sure it's old hat for some, but I specialize in BS and sub, dreads not so much. Actually in 7 days I'll have all cruisers, frigates and BS @ 5. :p gotta do something with 90+ mil SP.

Good times though. I love this game.

SAW

[H]ard|Gawd
Lost the internet over the weekend :( I sure wish I knew in advance when this company was going to do crap to their servers so I could put a long learning skill in queue.

Anyhoo.....Since I couldnt log in the game, I started fiddling around with EFT again, this time for some BC's. I cant seem to come up with anything "new" to add to them. I just seem to keep on making the same fitting as I have with my Thorax. Anyone else get in a rut like that too?

Dangman

Ninja Editor SuperMod
Anyhoo.....Since I couldnt log in the game, I started fiddling around with EFT again, this time for some BC's. I cant seem to come up with anything "new" to add to them. I just seem to keep on making the same fitting as I have with my Thorax. Anyone else get in a rut like that too?
And thats why I go on Battleclinic from time to time. Sure there are a bunch of crap fits but a trained eye and reading the comments can tell you which fit is good or bad.

Then again, my corp/alliance provides some pretty decent fits to begin with so that always helps. Also, looking at the killboard of your corp/alliance does tell you what the more common and/or effective fits.

SAW

[H]ard|Gawd
Ahhh, what fun this game is...Had a blast tonight "blitzing" thru about 10 missions. Still on L2's though. I figure I have about 30 to 40 more before I get this particular agent unlocked. Dont know whats going on with this L2 agent, but tonight alone, I did The Blockade 3 different times. Doesnt matter I guess, as long as I get the completions.

Things are seemingly so simple with these L2's though, I decided to take out the 400mm armor plates altogether this time and added in a 2nd Mag Stab along with an added dmg rig. Was one shotting them rats left and right :)

This game is damned addicting once ya get to know whats going on. Too bad work gets in the way, hehe.

When I finally get to L3's, I think im going to attempt one or two of them with this Thorax and see how things go. Should be fun :)

Thuleman

Supreme [H]ardness
Ahhh, what fun this game is...Had a blast tonight "blitzing" thru about 10 missions. Still on L2's though. I figure I have about 30 to 40 more before I get this particular agent unlocked.
It shouldn't take 30 missions to get from L2 to L3. Any agents but L4 ones are transient. Don't get attached to any of them, as soon as you can move from one L2 to the next higher quality L2 (in hisec), do it. I don't have the exact math in front of me, but it's basically like this, you can either run 50 missions for an Quality 0 agent, or you can run 2 for Q0, then 2 for Q4, and then 2 for Q8, and 3 for Q17 and you are eligible for L3 missions.

SAW

[H]ard|Gawd
It shouldn't take 30 missions to get from L2 to L3. Any agents but L4 ones are transient. Don't get attached to any of them, as soon as you can move from one L2 to the next higher quality L2 (in hisec), do it. I don't have the exact math in front of me, but it's basically like this, you can either run 50 missions for an Quality 0 agent, or you can run 2 for Q0, then 2 for Q4, and then 2 for Q8, and 3 for Q17 and you are eligible for L3 missions.

Well......shit!!!

The more I "think" I know about this game, the more I find out I know nothing, lol.

As you might have guessed, Ive been doing missions for ONE agent in Aunia. Atm, I do not recall the quality, but I believe it started out at 12 but is now 14, but that is also considering my connections level (4).

Ive looked around at other agents and I do have "some" L3 agents unlocked that I can use, but their quality is something like -17 and also on the other side of the universe, heh.

That being said though, it brings up a question I was pondering earlier today. Is a L3 agent who's quality is -17 the same as doing a L2 agents missions that has a higher quality? <---Not really concerned about points, rather the loot given from the wrecks. Or will L3 missions always give better loot regardless of the quality compared to L2 missions?

kencheeto

2[H]4U
Well......shit!!!

The more I "think" I know about this game, the more I find out I know nothing, lol.

As you might have guessed, Ive been doing missions for ONE agent in Aunia. Atm, I do not recall the quality, but I believe it started out at 12 but is now 14, but that is also considering my connections level (4).

Ive looked around at other agents and I do have "some" L3 agents unlocked that I can use, but their quality is something like -17 and also on the other side of the universe, heh.

That being said though, it brings up a question I was pondering earlier today. Is a L3 agent who's quality is -17 the same as doing a L2 agents missions that has a higher quality? <---Not really concerned about points, rather the loot given from the wrecks. Or will L3 missions always give better loot regardless of the quality compared to L2 missions?

The quality of agents determines how common the 'good' (lucrative) missions are given. Still, any L3 mission should give you rewards an order of magnitude better than L2. L4 another order above L3. I would jump on that L3, assuming your ship is up to the task.

ameoba

Supreme [H]ardness
Seriously guys... 55 pages? Would it hurt to start separate threads about different topics?

kencheeto

2[H]4U
Seriously guys... 55 pages? Would it hurt to start separate threads about different topics?

you'd think after 8.8 years you'd have your ppp set to 40.

ppp = posts per page

Anyway, its at 28 pages, and yes it would hurt to start a new thread. Besides, its easy for EVE players to keep in touch this way- if you don't like it, don't read the thread ;)

Last edited:

Version_3

2[H]4U

Same game on all 28 pages, I don't really see the issue. Searching will still find the same stuff whether the thread is 2 pages or 28 pages long.

SAW

[H]ard|Gawd
The quality of agents determines how common the 'good' (lucrative) missions are given. Still, any L3 mission should give you rewards an order of magnitude better than L2. L4 another order above L3. I would jump on that L3, assuming your ship is up to the task.

Ahhh, I see.

Reason I was stickin around this area, which another EVE player had mentioned to me, was because in this particular system, I have an L2 agent, an L3 agent, L4 agent as well as a storyline agent. All sitting in the same station and all 3 of the agents are Security type agents too.

Ive gone from a 2.83 standing with the Federation Navy up to 3.91 as of last night. To get to that point, Ive done somewhere in the neighborhood of 30+ missions with this one L2 agent alone. <---The vast majority of those in the past 2 weeks, or since you guys prompted me about "blitzing".

The L3 agent in this station requires a 4.87 standing before its available to me. I dont recall the quality atm, but its on the positive side though. Its that 3.91 to 4.87 that I draw my assumption that it would take another 30+ missions before being unlocked. But hell, im not in it for the missions really, I just need a decent source of income so I can start doing what I really would like to be doing in this game :D If shooting over several systems to do those L3's I can do now will net me fundage quicker....so be it....Looks like im packing up tonight.....again, LOL.

SAW

[H]ard|Gawd

Hey Bro.....I think you are missing the underlying point of why this thread is continued...If another person out there reads this from page one, they can see a progression of a newbie player (me) and if they so choose to venture into this game, the thread is also comprised of MANY tips and helpful links that will undoubtedly be bookmarked by those players.

But also.....I know full well, here at the [H], people do not like seeing multitudes of threads about the same subject. I recall when Doom 3 came out......crap O mighty man, the first 2 pages of threads within this gaming section was nothing but D3 this, D3 that. Was annoying.

:cool::D:cool:

kencheeto

2[H]4U
Ahhh, I see.

Reason I was stickin around this area, which another EVE player had mentioned to me, was because in this particular system, I have an L2 agent, an L3 agent, L4 agent as well as a storyline agent. All sitting in the same station and all 3 of the agents are Security type agents too.
Making a 'home base' based on agent locations is a fairly poor decision IMO, but I'm not familiar with gallente agents; maybe all three agents are high quality. Regardless, try not to get 'bound' to a single location. Learning the different systems and their quirks is an important part of the game. Training to fly Iteron Vs will help keep your current base of operations mobile as you'll be able to carry everything with you.
The L3 agent in this station requires a 4.87 standing before its available to me. I dont recall the quality atm, but its on the positive side though. Its that 3.91 to 4.87 that I draw my assumption that it would take another 30+ missions before being unlocked. But hell, im not in it for the missions really, I just need a decent source of income so I can start doing what I really would like to be doing in this game :D If shooting over several systems to do those L3's I can do now will net me fundage quicker....so be it....Looks like im packing up tonight.....again, LOL.
Yeah, its a grind to get to L4s then missions become a stable source of income rather than the entire game.

Be very careful on your first L3 mission.. with the increase in rewards comes an increase in difficulty. You'll need to start thinking about fitting guns that hit hard enough, but also a way to take care of smaller frigates that will still be around. Drones will be key.

oldpablo

Supreme [H]ardness
Lengthening the pages makes browsing on a mobile device suck more, so I leave the default. :)

Kanaric

Limp Gawd
I keep leaving and coming back to this game, never have a corp or friends to play with or anything to keep me interested though I enjoy the core of the game.

I have a 4mil SP character with a triple CCC geddon but it gets boring to play by myself and not be involved in pvp.

SAW

[H]ard|Gawd
Making a 'home base' based on agent locations is a fairly poor decision IMO, but I'm not familiar with gallente agents; maybe all three agents are high quality. Regardless, try not to get 'bound' to a single location. Learning the different systems and their quirks is an important part of the game. Training to fly Iteron Vs will help keep your current base of operations mobile as you'll be able to carry everything with you.

Be very careful on your first L3 mission.. with the increase in rewards comes an increase in difficulty. You'll need to start thinking about fitting guns that hit hard enough, but also a way to take care of smaller frigates that will still be around. Drones will be key.

My actual home base (if ya wanna call it that, heh) is at Dodixie. Thats where I keep most of my good stuff. In Aunia however, all I have there is my Salvage Cat and my current mission runner, the Thorax and unsold loot.

Right now, I have Iteron III trained up. With 3 cargohold 2's, it can handle 119,121m3. For the time being, its more than enough to carry all my loot as well as several ships.

Im looking forward to tonight (no work tomorrow :) ), Im going to warp on over to the closest L3 agent and give it a go. Ive already had some L2's that dished out a few BC's at me in my Thorax. They were easy kills, but im sure L3's will have their AI's bumped up a bit more, so I will be cautious, thanks :) Ive also got Drones 5 trained, so no problem there, I just need to bump that up a bit more so I can use Tier 2 drones.

I keep leaving and coming back to this game, never have a corp or friends to play with or anything to keep me interested though I enjoy the core of the game.

I have a 4mil SP character with a triple CCC geddon but it gets boring to play by myself and not be involved in pvp.

Not sure what a "triple CCC geddon" is and im sorry to say, I am not doing PvP at this point yet otherwise I would ask you to join me, however, Ive heard lots of good things about the Blue vs. Red thats going on. Perhaps you can look into that? I hear all are welcome to join, from newbies to vets. :)

Kanaric

Limp Gawd
does this blue vs red involve heavy pentalies for someone who is still trying to learn a game yet has expensive equipment that they dont want to lose?

Triple CCC geddon = super fast capacitor recharging laser death. CCC is the rigs, i forget what it stands for because i havn't played in a year.

Dangman

Ninja Editor SuperMod
does this blue vs red involve heavy pentalies for someone who is still trying to learn a game yet has expensive equipment that they dont want to lose?

Simple mantra to live for Eve PVP: Don't fly what you cannot afford to lose. I'm assuming thats what you mean by penalties?

Some more info on the Red VS Blue:
http://www.eve-tribune.com/index.php?no=4_40&page=2

EDIT: Also learned a hard lesson yesterday: When flying a frigate class ship, make sure that whoever or wherever you're warping to is not near a smart bomb equipped ship:
http://www.lf-eve.com/lfakb/?a=kill_detail&kll_id=21518

Last edited:

SAW

[H]ard|Gawd
WOOOHOOOO!!!!!!!!!!

I completed my first L3 mission and I didnt die, hehe.

Did the whole thing in my L2 fitted Thorax (I HAD to give it a shot and see what I was up against). I only had to warp out 3 times. 2 of those times was because I ran out of ammo, I grossly underestimated the amount I would need. The only other time I had to warp out due to damage was because the 4th gate warped me right into 4 or 5 of those missle silo things. Those cut right thru me pretty darn quick, but I took out 3 of them before I had to warp out, so coming back to only one silo in that area was a cinch.

Some of those BC's had some powerful missiles shooting at me, but at 35km away, they werent doing much dmg. I only had to use my armor hardeners for those silos, all the rest of the time they were never used.

The mission was called Angel Extravaganza!!!!!! SOLOED BABY!!!!!!!!!!! WOOOOOOOOOOTTTT!!!!!!!!!

I didnt bother with the bonus room. I had read there were battleships in there and I was pushing my luck far enough doing this mission in a Thorax, so I didnt even try for the battleships, heh. Can ya blame me, hehe. I can sleep good tonight now.....errrr.....I mean sleep good this morning, LOL!!!!!

D0n2k

Weaksauce
Don't take PVE/Mission ship into PVP. 3x CCC's aren't much use on a geddon in normal (non-pos/cap) PVP, just slap a Heavy Cap Booster instead (and some 44mil cheaper)- you'll be dead or the laughing victor before cap becomes issue.

for RvB newbs I would reccomend..

1) Find a cruiser fit that costs 5-6mil including hull and a frigate fit that costs 1mil.
2) Mission hard for a week.
3) Buy 10 crusiers & frigates fully fitted (using buy orders through in mission week will help here)
4) Distrubute 3 of each around likely combat zones/systems & rest in whatever base system is.
5) Join up Insure, pew pew, kill, die, have fun.... profit....?!

Moving ships and stuff is tricky when in a war, preparation is the key here.

Version_3

2[H]4U
The mission was called Angel Extravaganza!!!!!! SOLOED BABY!!!!!!!!!!! WOOOOOOOOOOTTTT!!!!!!!!!

I didnt bother with the bonus room. I had read there were battleships in there and I was pushing my luck far enough doing this mission in a Thorax, so I didnt even try for the battleships, heh. Can ya blame me, hehe. I can sleep good tonight now.....errrr.....I mean sleep good this morning, LOL!!!!!

Yup, pretty rough mission, good job. Does some havoc on my drake also, but it's tanked to the point where I didn't have to warp out. I do, however, share your feelings on the bonus room. I heard that there is some really good loot out there, but the fact that they were all sitting in the pocket at the same distance out, I didn't want to be aggro'd by them all at the same time.

eggrock

Supreme [H]ardness
Right now, I have Iteron III trained up. With 3 cargohold 2's, it can handle 119,121m3. For the time being, its more than enough to carry all my loot as well as several ships.

Aw christ, and here I am sitting at 19,031m3 in a Badger Mark II and using 100x secure containers to fit an extra 2,000m3 in. :eek: :rolleyes: :( [edit 2] After looking in EFT, there's no way in hell you're > 100k in an Iteron III.

[edit] Seconding a gj on AE--I got that as my first L3 and it took almost 6 hours to clear in a rail fit Moa. 2nd time around in a Rokh and the bonus room gave me nothing exciting. If you want to be really nice to someone (that you trust) you can share the bonus room/loot. The tag to get in isn't consumed on the L3 version of AE and they're fairly cheap on the market.

Last edited:

silentcoercion

Limp Gawd
Aw christ, and here I am sitting at 19,031m3 in a Badger Mark II and using 100x secure containers to fit an extra 2,000m3 in. :eek: :rolleyes: :( [edit 2] After looking in EFT, there's no way in hell you're > 100k in an Iteron III.

It definitely takes something like an Orca or a freighter to get to that size cargohold. I'm pretty sure SAW meant 11,912.1m3 or something like that.

eggrock

Supreme [H]ardness
I'm looking forward to the day when I can drop a billion on a Charon and move everything in one trip. The 'alt promo' (6 months @ $49.95) is extremely tempting.

Thuleman

Supreme [H]ardness
If you need stuff moved in hisec, let me know, for an [H]'er I can certainly come up with some reasonable fee. I have 864k m3 cargohold available.

SAW

[H]ard|Gawd

[edit] Seconding a gj on AE--I got that as my first L3 and it took almost 6 hours to clear in a rail fit Moa. 2nd time around in a Rokh and the bonus room gave me nothing exciting. If you want to be really nice to someone (that you trust) you can share the bonus room/loot. The tag to get in isn't consumed on the L3 version of AE and they're fairly cheap on the market.

Sorry bout the miss-information on my Ity. I get the numbers confused alot when Im not actually looking at them. Silentcoercion is spot on with the numbers. What I got mixed up was the m3 and how much I can actually carry. I used my Ity back a few months ago for transport of goods and ore for trading from one system to another. When I would transport ore or something similar in size, I was able to carry 119,121 UNITS of that particular item. Sorry bout the confusion.

It definitely takes something like an Orca or a freighter to get to that size cargohold. I'm pretty sure SAW meant 11,912.1m3 or something like that.

Thanks for clearing that up. In my defense ( :) ) it has been 2 months or more since I used my Ity for hauling goods. However, I can say I was indeed able to carry 2 or 3 ships inside it (repackaged of course) along with some other stuff as I was moving from one system to another.

On another note.....

In case you guys are curious what I have my Thorax fitted with....

5 - 200mm Compressed Coil Guns - Tungsten Federation Faction Charges/Iridium

1 - 10mn Afterburner
2 - Cap Rechargers II

2 - Mag Stabs II
1 - N Type Kinetic Armor Hardener
1 - N Type Thermic Armor Hardener
1 - Damage Control Unit II

Rigs - 3 of them, dont recall what they are called, but one is for extra Drone range, another for Extra Dmg from Turrets and the last one gives me a slight increase to my shields recharge time.

Drones -
3 Vespas <---- IMO, they kick ass
2 Hobgoblins <---which got murdered very fast, so when I warped out to heal up, I added in 2 more Vespas.

Aside from being warped right in the middle of those missle silos, my ship never got past 60% dmg to my shields. Alot of their missiles kept missing and that shield recharge rig really came in handy as it healed up my shields fairly quickly, so it was like...Id get hit with a few volleys of missiles and most of that dmg was cleared up by the time I would get hit with another volley.

I kept my distance from the rats. I would start shooting them at about 47km and then inch closer to about 25km. By the time I would get to 25km, they would be damaged enough that I let the drones finish them off while I started pluggin away at another rat, turn 180degrees, hit the gas and keep them at about a 30km range, give or take. Worked out pretty well.

The mission did take quite some time to complete though. I wasnt keeping track, but it had to have been at least 3 hours, cause when I went back to get the loot from the 1st wave, they were all gone, so I either went past that 2 hour mark and they disappeared or they got Ninja'ed. My guess is, my 2 hour time limit passed. Oh yeah, just remembered, I had to have had this mission done inside of 3 hours cause the bonus reward was only granted if turned in completed within 3 hours and change.

Was a cool mission though, much more challenging than the L2's. In total, including the mission payout, bonus, loot and bounties was about 10mil, give or take <---it was wayyy late (early depending on how ya look at it) and I was in a hurry due to the shut down warnings CCP gives.