The New European H2O Discussion Thread

theseeker

2[H]4U
In the words of Monty Python, and now for something completely different, a block with three…….sorry my age is showing.

In the hope of bridging the pond, or the gap between low flow-high flow, my hose is bigger than your hose, the mixing metals debate and of course "looks" vs. "price" argument, I propose something much different.

This Forum and the "PEOPLE” have a plethora of knowledge to share. Unfortunately, instead of sharing valuable information and findings we end up fighting amongst ourselves. This should stop and stop immediately. There are obviously pros and cons to all approaches to H20 cooling. It would behoove us all to work together towards our common goal...using water to achieve a quieter, cooler, more stable and overclockable computer.

Having said all of that, lets find a way to contribute and help each other in our efforts.

OK, sorry for preaching, but I felt that it needed to be said.

On with the topic!

Lets talk about;

Alphacool
Aqua Computer
Black Ice
EK Blocks
Innovatek
MIPS
Thermochill
Waterchill

And of course any other H20 companies you want to comment about.

Well this thread will get trashed but I would like to disuss some of these items.

This weekend I will be switching out my BIX Pro 120.2 radiator with Thermochill HE120.2 radiator w/ shrould. This should net some interesting results.

Second, I am interested in hear feedback on the Alphacool GPU blocks (not full cover model) as that is my next purchase.

Initial data is showin a 4c decrease in temps from changing to the XT and a Thermochill HE120.2 radiator. Fans are running 900RPM and deadly silent ;) Next I have to work on my new Tagen 650watt power supply fan as it is louder than the two fans on my radiator.

Just curious why you chose to go with the HE series instead of the PA series...did you already have an HE or get one for cheap? If you are running your fans at 900RPM you would be *MUCH* better off with a PA. The HE series only starts beating the PA series when you start using fans pushing 130cfm :eek:

Erasmus354 said:
Just curious why you chose to go with the HE series instead of the PA series...did you already have an HE or get one for cheap? If you are running your fans at 900RPM you would be *MUCH* better off with a PA. The HE series only starts beating the PA series when you start using fans pushing 130cfm :eek:
Yeah, it is a HE, if that is the latest model made by Thermochill (I kept waiting for it to release about three months ago). After looking at their website, the shroud and grill are exactly what I have and show it for the HE only. Call it an impulse buy.... Hell I bought two!

Funny, I keep lowering the RPM and have found at around 600RPM is the sweet spot before the temp rises 1c.

Just wondering how you guys feel the Innovatek XX-Flow stacks up with modern blocks.

R1ckCa1n said:
Yeah, it is a HE, if that is the latest model made by Thermochill (I kept waiting for it to release about three months ago). After looking at their website, the shroud and grill are exactly what I have and show it for the HE only. Call it an impulse buy.... Hell I bought two!

Funny, I keep lowering the RPM and have found at around 600RPM is the sweet spot before the temp rises 1c.

The latest model is the PA series. The PA series was designed for low RPM fans. The HE series is designed for super high CFM screamer fans. Thermochill themselves say if you aren't running fans that push more than 130cfm you are better off with the PA series.

Erasmus354 said:
The latest model is the PA series. The PA series was designed for low RPM fans. The HE series is designed for super high CFM screamer fans. Thermochill themselves say if you aren't running fans that push more than 130cfm you are better off with the PA series.
then it must be the PA as I had to wait for them to release it (120.2 model). Actually doesn't really matter, i guess.

thewhiteguy said:
Don't forget about EK.

Nice blocks. I just ordered a pair of the EK-FC79 full cover blocks last week. Don't know how fast the mail comes from Slovenia but I hope to get them sometime this week.

@R1ckCa1n you are going to like the PA series. I upgraded from a HE120.3 to the PA120.3 and the difference is very nice. Using the Papst 4412GL(?) fans in a push pull config. While testing the system my temps were about 4-6c lower than the HE model. You will also notice that the PA series responds very well to flow rates. Load temps down about 2c when running flow rates >4 lpm as opposed to anything less than 2.5-3 lpm.

Yeah, I bought a few Scythe S-FLEX 120mm fans from Sharka Friday and find these suckers are the most silent fans I have ever owned. There are two on the very front of my case (where the 120.2 radiator is located) so they sit about 24' from my head. They are running at 6.2volts and I can't even hear them.

Overall, temps are down 3-4c on the CPU, and 2c on the GPU's. Not too bad. The plus is I got rid of my AcustaFan's which made a low whine noise.

ShoNuff said:
Nice blocks. I just ordered a pair of the EK-FC79 full cover blocks last week. Don't know how fast the mail comes from Slovenia but I hope to get them sometime this week.
Post pics and a review when they show up, please.

Nice thread. :) So when might we be seeing some of these European goods making a splash here in the states?

Instead of starting a seperate poll thread, I chose to post here. I have a proposal and wanted y'all's thoughts.
I have enough parts to make a direct real-world comparison between AC lowflow and higher flow. I can produce an all AC loop of 6/8 pushfits or compression (Cuplex Evo, twinplex, aquagraFX, Airplex240, and aquastream) or a mixed bag loop of AC and Innovatek in 8/10 compression with the Innova eheim BBS . I can do a higher flow loop of Dtek MP-05, Storm, Apogee, or TDX, Innova Radi240, (I have a thermochill PA120.2 coming), a Maze4 Acetal for GPU, MCP350 pump, and Maze4 chipset block.....all with 10/12 tubing stretched over 1/2" barbs. Fans can be Pabst or Panaflows.
These can all be done on a testbed of a DFI Expert, Opteron 148 or 175, OCZ pc4800 Plat. Elite ram, and a 7800 GTX (or 2 in SLI).
I can do a mild or wild clock on the components, mix parts as interest dictates, and record findings.
Is there any interest at all from anyone to do this? I would prefer to make a contribution this way rather than comment in the various threads with many at odds with each other. TIA

Toonage said:
Instead of starting a seperate poll thread, I chose to post here. I have a proposal and wanted y'all's thoughts.
I have enough parts to make a direct real-world comparison between AC lowflow and higher flow. I can produce an all AC loop of 6/8 pushfits or compression (Cuplex Evo, twinplex, aquagraFX, Airplex240, and aquastream) or a mixed bag loop of AC and Innovatek in 8/10 compression with the Innova eheim BBS . I can do a higher flow loop of Dtek MP-05, Storm, Apogee, or TDX, Innova Radi240, (I have a thermochill PA120.2 coming), a Maze4 Acetal for GPU, MCP350 pump, and Maze4 chipset block.....all with 10/12 tubing stretched over 1/2" barbs. Fans can be Pabst or Panaflows.
These can all be done on a testbed of a DFI Expert, Opteron 148 or 175, OCZ pc4800 Plat. Elite ram, and a 7800 GTX (or 2 in SLI).
I can do a mild or wild clock on the components, mix parts as interest dictates, and record findings.
Is there any interest at all from anyone to do this? I would prefer to make a contribution this way rather than comment in the various threads with many at odds with each other. TIA

Strange you should ask. I was going to send out various components next week to testers for the same type of "tests". In the event that you choose to do this you have to realize that you will be under much scrutinty. Your choice, but I totally applaud your efforts and I am willing to add a few components to your test

Please, go for it Toon.
I am in the process of doing something similar but different and not as extensive as your proposal.
Your results would be of great interest to me.

R1ck, I used an Alphacool GPX on my Gigabyte 6800GT OC'd to 450/1200 with no cooling on the memory besides some airflow. According to the nVidia and Gigabyte temp monitor, the core idled at 29° and got up to 34°-36° load (in a 75° F room). With the stock heatpiped fan contraption, I could only OC it to 375 (the memory always OC'd really well) at around 65°.

Other parts in the loop were an Innovatek HPPS pump (on normal, Eheim 1046 flow and 1048 head pressure) and attached Tank-O-Matic filltank, an Aqua Computer Cuplex EVO and a dual 120mm AC EVO series rad.

I recently got a full card Innovatek cooler for my x1800XL because I've always wanted one :) It will be coupled with a plexi Alphacool NexXxos XP lite, that same HPPS with a plexi AquaInlet and a single 120mm Noise Isolator (flat tube & fin style) radiator. I decided to skip the DDC for the time being - I really like my Eheim/HPPS :cool:

I like that eheim HPPS setup too Pooky,,,,,I've recently become involved in doing systems in unconventional cases and these fit the bill nicely. The versatility with the plugon tanks and that rear molex connection allow for some clean configurations.

As you can see below my EK Waterblocks came yesterday. The blocks are VERY nice. I’m impressed with Eddy’s attention to detail. Without testing them my initial opinion is very high.

As soon as I get my 7900 cards from eVGA’s step up program I will be able to test these puppies and compare them to my Innovatek blocks.

ekb4.jpg

ekb3.jpg

ekb2.jpg

ekb1.jpg

@Toonage...I would also like to see a comparison of how the Cuplex XT fares in a system with a good rad (read Thermochill) and increased flow. In otherwords I am interested in seeing what improvements can be had from going from the 6/8mm pushfits to 10/12 compression fittings. The "?" review gave us an inkling of what we could expect however I think with a better rad and more flow we could see even better improvements.

Kind of off topic, but what happened to your H2o company theseeker?

Back