The new "died in the line of duty" thread

Those would be the SMART values reported by the SSD's firmware, so one might assume that they're somewhat close to being truthful. Though we all know how reliable SMART is in general, especially when it comes to reporting imminent disaster :)

The power supply in my 2P E5-2698V4 died. I think it was an Antec Earthwatts or something like that. Replaced it with a Seasonic Platinum from a rig I just decomissioned and now it is back up and running smoothly again! The system still boots slowly, so I am suspicious that the failing PSU may have caused some corruption in my SSD, but we'll see.

Old age has finally claimed a 640 gig WD AAKS 7200RPM drive. I bought this years ago as a boot drive for my first Q6600 system and stayed as my system drive until a couple of years ago when it was replaced with an NVME and relegated to storage duty/game installs for my main system. After doing some upgrades on my server a year ago I replaced the 640 with an almost as old Hitachi 1TB in my main system and decided to use the WD as boot drive in my server replacing an even more ancient WD 500GB drive which was slow and really loud. When I put it in the server it still showed it was in perfectly good health.

However, it died without warning earlier today after more than a decade of constant use. The BIOS can see it but can't identify anything about it. Booted a live Linux distro and it read the drive as having 13 gig free out of 17 gig and even showed some of the directories in /root.

This is going to leave my poor server out of commission for a while until I get a cheap replacement drive as I don't want to put the even older OS drive back in because it's slow and noisy assuming it would even work anymore. Nor do I feel like testing any of the other ancient hard drives I still have around. I know some are bad and some should still be good but I'm not sure which is which anymore.

I had a T5810 MB die in the Pent. It was running an E5-2698V4 and 4 RTX 3070Ti's on it. Pulled the Xeon and put it into service in an x99 board and repurposed an old x58 w/ an i7 920 for the GPU's.

Oh, the Pentathlon claimed my Samsung Galaxy S6. Sure, it didn't put out shit for points but it didn't cost much to run and it was sitting there doing nothing anyway. The second to last day of the Pentathlon the battery expanded quite a bit and pushed the back panel of the phone out. The phone still works but the days of it DCing are definitely over.

Oh, the Pentathlon claimed my Samsung Galaxy S6. Sure, it didn't put out shit for points but it didn't cost much to run and it was sitting there doing nothing anyway. The second to last day of the Pentathlon the battery expanded quite a bit and pushed the back panel of the phone out. The phone still works but the days of it DCing are definitely over.
I've had many phones do that over time. I've been abusing the Visible Swap deal to replace some of them cheaply though.

Not exactly Died in the Line, but my trusty 1080Ti Duke (Won from Tom's) just got replaced on my main system. Loop is bled and folding has commenced. Fake internet points galore!!!1!

Its been an expensive morning. While retiring my dually rig its HDD died.

While firing the second rig back up the PSU started making funny noises and it also looks like the 2060 in it has died. Not sure if teh 2060 was taken out by the PSU or not

So thats a WD 320GB HDD, a corsair AX 750 gold PSU and a 2060 all gone in the space of a couple of hours. :(:(:(

edit:- its the 2070, not the 2060

Last edited:

While firing the second rig back up the PSU started making funny noises and it also looks like the 2060 in it has died. Not sure if teh 2060 was taken out by the PSU or not

So thats a WD 320GB HDD, a corsair AX 750 gold PSU and a 2060 all gone in the space of a couple of hours. :(:(:(
Oh man, sorry to hear it. I've had similar things happen. Makes me wonder if dirty power from the mains or if one of the components (like the PSU) decided to go down in flames and take as many other parts as possible with it.

Oh its worse than i thought, turns out its the 2070 thats dead, not the 2060.

I suspect more the PSU than dirty power, my daily driver runs off the same double socket and its fine

My 3930k took a shit a few weeks back. The motherboard I believe is the issue. Now I am just waiting on somebody to send me some more parts to rebuild. That also doubled as my Plex server.

edit:- its the 2070, not the 2060
RIP. Do you always run at stock power or undervolt/underclock on cpu and gpu? So far all of my PC components are not failing other than SSDs. Fingers crossed.

Some projects are brutal when it comes to how much data they write on SSD.

RIP. Do you always run at stock power or undervolt/underclock on cpu and gpu? So far all of my PC components are not failing other than SSDs. Fingers crossed.

Some projects are brutal when it comes to how much data they write on SSD.
Stock on everything as until recently i was running Linux and did not have the inclination to figure out how. switching back to windows 10 so its now an option

RIP - stupid little jizbrain.

And the RTX 2070 it looks to have taken with it.

20240124_131432[4381].jpg

Testing the Z390 and other stuff attached to it.

SWM/F RTX 2070. Prefer OEM blower style but open to others. Will provide housing and free utilities. PM for details.

Back