The new "died in the line of duty" thread

Well this computer was in use as a workstation before I got it, and there was some sticky stuff caked onto the front intake fan grille.

I think it was some kindof of powdery makeup that got gummed up when they tried to clean it off, because it kindof looks like makeup, and the previous user is a real "princess" type. The fans, apparently, were also really gunked up with the stuff.

Anyhow, it's down until I get the new fans.

Might want to go over that with some acetone before subjecting those new fans to that garbage...

I love acetone. I clean everything with it. Including my keyboard.

unhappy_mage said:
Might want to go over that with some acetone before subjecting those new fans to that garbage...

I love acetone. I clean everything with it. Including my keyboard.

Pets don't like it as much.

I've already cleaned the contaminated parts with isopropyl.

Hito: i dont like to think about what she was doing with the computer. She was VERY protective of it.....well, it was the fastest box on the floor...

after further testing it appears as though i have lost the asus PC-DL powering my dual 2.4 xeon rig, not overclocked or anything :( . so now i have 4 xeons sitting around waiting for MB's

Lost another power supply this weekend, cost me a day's folding to get the boxen back up, had to wait until we were done running Dad around to the doc's and stuff, at least they decided not to cut until April 13th, so the pnumonia was completely gone.

New power supply to fit the NLX case will be here tomorrow, then I can put the stack back together, and get it out of the middle of the den.

I lost a Dell to a Foxconn/Deer PSU when a transformer went in a caf accident. We will see tonight if I can get it powered up with a different PSU.

FLECOM said:
hrmm, i have lost a lot of stuff recently :\

oh and its time to replace the batteries in my SmarUPS 1400RM, SmartUPS 1400NET, 2x SmartUPS 1000NET and BackUPS PRO 1000NET... which is going to cost a few $$$'s :(

so thats 2x 12v 17ah SLA's and 10x 12v 12ah SLA's thats a few hundred bucks just in batteries :(

fricken piece of crap FP&L... dont let them fool you, it dosent stand for Florida Power & Light... its FSKING People & Loving it

FLECOM,
A buddy of mine is living "off the grid" using generators and UPS's. He bought a couple of LARGE Ups's and had to get batteries for them. APC wanted an arm, leg, and left nut. He figured out that golf cart batteries would work for the models that he had. DEEP cycle 12Volt batteries - and cheap too!

Just lost 2 of my modified 1700s, popped and painted to be 2400 mp's. they lasted over 2 years running 24/7 just for folding.

T-3

Hito Bahadur said:
Hopefully it is temporary. I have a folding computer down because I can't get out of the Windows XP safe mode Command Prompt. Thread here: http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=888637

Any suggestions would be appreciated..... d'oh

Here is the requisite stop using WIndows.....Linux is god....it will do everything include having your babies post. :D

I like Linux but don't have the time to deal with it... Having to deal with one OS is enough of a headache.

Hito Bahadur said:
I like Linux but don't have the time to deal with it... Having to deal with one OS is enough of a headache.

No worries I don't actually like linux(shhhhh......I prefer real OS's) but I figured I would hit that post before someone else did.

I just hope someone can help me out. I really don't feel like reloading the OS. This is all because I'm building a computer for a friend and the PCI-16 6600 that I bought was crap out of the box and I tried to reload the BIOS which it doesn't take because the Leadtek Bios doesn't recognize the NV device.....ARGH.....always happens when you are trying to get something out fast. Luckily I bought it from Newegg, although I think it was an already used part (it was supposed to be new). It's hard to tell.

Hito Bahadur said:
I just hope someone can help me out. I really don't feel like reloading the OS. This is all because I'm building a computer for a friend and the PCI-16 6600 that I bought was crap out of the box and I tried to reload the BIOS which it doesn't take because the Leadtek Bios doesn't recognize the NV device.....ARGH.....always happens when you are trying to get something out fast. Luckily I bought it from Newegg, although I think it was an already used part (it was supposed to be new). It's hard to tell.

I just got stuck by another vendor like that for a PSU that was supposed to go in a box by Thursday. Open the box today wrong PSU. At least they are 2Daying me what is supposed to be the right one.

How did you get a used from the egg? Refurb/clearance section?

I'm not certain I did. I purchased new, but the box looked like it had been opened.

Hito Bahadur said:
I'm not certain I did. I purchased new, but the box looked like it had been opened.

If you think so Iwould call them up about it being a bad card and at the same time tell them the box looked open when you bought it. They might do something for you.

Spectre said:
If you think so Iwould call them up about it being a bad card and at the same time tell them the box looked open when you bought it. They might do something for you.

Well, I'm probably going to have to RMA the piece. Although you are right, I just went through my order history with them and I have bought $12k of parts from them over the past 2 years so you think they could take care of me.

Hito Bahadur said:
Well, I'm probably going to have to RMA the piece. Although you are right, I just went through my order history with them and I have bought $12k of parts from them over the past 2 years so you think they could take care of me.

I would say threaten them with taking your business to chiefvalue but.......a good retailer/rep won't want to lose that kind of business and they shouldn't ever leave you feeling like you have been slighted. So if it was me I would talk to them about your concerns. Last time I did I got my next few orders all shipped for free, and a shirt :)

Spectre said:
I would say threaten them with taking your business to chiefvalue but.......a good retailer/rep won't want to lose that kind of business and they shouldn't ever leave you feeling like you have been slighted. So if it was me I would talk to them about your concerns. Last time I did I got my next few orders all shipped for free, and a shirt :)
IIRC, chiefvalue either owns newegg, is owned by the same people, or is owned by newegg. i think it is one of the first two options. so that isn't a very effective threat. you might wanna try zipzoomfly instead, but they have a smaller inventory... hmm...

hope the RMA goes through and you get a nice one?

rogue_jedi said:
IIRC, chiefvalue either owns newegg, is owned by the same people, or is owned by newegg. i think it is one of the first two options. so that isn't a very effective threat. you might wanna try zipzoomfly instead, but they have a smaller inventory... hmm...

hope the RMA goes through and you get a nice one?

Hehe......I know that was the reason for me drawing it out with the .................'s.

Well this technically isn't a hardware death, but more a death of a software nature. I just checked on my work b0xen from home, and it appears that I've got a win2k install gone horribly wrong. So I am going to be missing the production time while I re-ghost that PC.

Well I just RMA'd the Video Card. I RMA'd it for a refund, just in case it is an incompatibility issue. I ordered an X600XT from MSI (the onboard video chip is ATI) because I thought that would limit the issues and I have already had this computer for 2 weeks trying to upgrade the thing (2 business trips slowed things down).

The good news is that I will have had this 3500+ folding 24/7 for 3 weeks longer than I would have without this problem (or about 4,000 points).

Edit: To correctly name the replacement video card.

Hito Bahadur said:
Well I just RMA'd the Video Card. I RMA'd it for a refund, just in case it is an incompatibility issue. I ordered an X600GT from MSI (the onboard video chip is ATI) because I thought that would limit the issues and I have already had this computer for 2 weeks trying to upgrade the thing (2 business trips slowed things down).

The good news is that I will have had this 3500+ folding 24/7 for 3 weeks longer than I would have without this problem (or about 4,000 points).

What is an x600GT?

1.2GHz AXP is stuck in a constant reboot, about 5 times a second, at work. I haven't declared it just yet, but we'll see how things turn out tomorrow.

Crashsector said:
1.2GHz AXP is stuck in a constant reboot, about 5 times a second, at work. I haven't declared it just yet, but we'll see how things turn out tomorrow.

I can see it already... setting "General Folding" soap opera set...

DR: No it's not dead yet!
Nurse: But it is, its not folding anymore!
DR: NOOOOOO!!!
Nurse: But whats this... it appears he has a twin! :eek:

(the product of wayyy too much time on my hand)

Update on my last post... the 1.2GHz AXP mobo succumbed to blown caps :(

However, a $30 PC Chips mobo from the Egg later and some (overpriced, see also: retail) Kingston DDR from Best Buy, it's back up and folding faster than ever!

A hard drive in my dual p3 xeon bit the dust this morning at around 3:19AM. This was just about the time the power went out.

Once, long ago, it did a Lazarus, but alas.

Tyan S2460, the "Burn Yer PSU Connector!" duallie motherboard, boots no more.

It leaves behind two homeless CPUs, but I've yet to figure out which ones. I've another Tyan, currently running 1.8ghz Durons that the board thinks are MPs in the 2200+ range. To swap these homeless 1800+ MP Palominos into it, or not, 'tis the question.

Any CPU-less MP boards for sale around here?

Please? :(

I upgraded a folding P3 450 to a P3 550 but the new cpu burned up within an hour. I reinstalled the P3 450 and rebooted........

then the hard drive crashed. :(

The box is on life support awaiting a transplant.

It will fold again!!!!!

I lost my 8 port Intel switch the other day. While not a boxen, it did serve the vital function of connecting 7 boxen to the router. Apparently there are issues with the power brick and the heatsink (which has already been replaced once) on the Broadcom chip. After a bit of network re-arrangement and bringing a spare switch on-line, the farm is back on-line. A few hacks later (big northbridge heatsink and fan), the Intel switch may have been fixed, but it's on probation for now.

Strikemaster said:
Once, long ago, it did a Lazarus, but alas.

Tyan S2460, the "Burn Yer PSU Connector!" duallie motherboard, boots no more.

Ooops! What was the latin again, something like "Mea Culpa Maximus?" ("It's my fsckin' fault"). :eek:

Rule #1: It ain't dead until it won't boot with two different power supplies. :(

Rule #2: Check the damned PSUs against another known good machine! :mad:

Rule #1A: It's considered dead if it won't boot with two KNOWN GOOD POWER SUPPLIES!

RIP Coolmax CX400 and Allied PSUs. Also, unpleasant copulation to both for 1 year warranties...

Let's see, the past two weeks haven't treated me all that well. Lost the HD in my UD boxen, and the fan on my Zalman cpu cooler is crap, had to back off the OC on the box and switch to a an old Thermaltake Volcano that doesn't cool very well. The delivery guy can't get here soon enough with some parts. ;)

Back